The Problem With "Road To Berlin" Game Mode? Other Overlapping Game Modes With Much Better R...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 33410 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

And this isn't a whine or rant, I like it tbh and it's an interesting game mode offering, but the problem as I would see it is there's just too many events and game modes currently on. Now, maybe this is more of a problem with WG not spreading out their events and game modes to a more sensible distribution across the month or year but right now we have Battle Pass, Front Lines, Tank Rewards, ToTT, Brawl along with the usual daily missions and weekend specials plus there's also Steel Hunter coming down the tracks so it all seems a bit mashed in and instead of complimenting each other, they're more in competition with each at least that's how it feels to me.

Now, while many of the other offerings overlap nicely into Random Battles so can be participated in at the same time, this Road To Berlin doesn't, it's a separate game mode and as such, this brings it into competition for a players participation with the likes of the above mentioned and Front lines, most all of which can be played with a players own tank so with all the events that tie in with random battles or Front Lines what those offer is the ability for players to use their own tanks and crews so has many applications from grinding a tank and crew to grinding credits etc along with all the rewards being picked up from those events.

I don't feel it's possible for a player tor realistically participate in all these events, your brain would just melt, at least mine would, I'd quickly get burn-out, even during a Covid-19 lock down with all the time in the world, I still wouldn't be able for this level of "work" so I pick which events and game modes I would like to participate in, heavily governed by their rewards and so for me this is the point about where the Road To Berlin might be a bit of a fail. It is offered as a separate game mode through which no other events or mission and rewards can be completed and picked up, right?

Fine, BUT, then the game mode itself really needs to offer rewards that would pry a player away from the other very generously rewarded game modes and events. Does the Road To Berling(oh ff* lets just call it RTB lol) ok so does the RTB offer rewards that would tempt a player to most likely turn down playing FL and ToTT and Tank Rewards, Battle Pass and all the other goodies and missions and weekend specials etc? For me the answer is no it doesn't. It's a really nice PVE game mode but you don't get any credits for each battle, you don't get anything, just some points towards whatever stage you are at and points towards upgrading tanks, tanks that you don't get to keep anyway so apart from making the mode maybe a bit easier is pointless. Having fun and enjoying the mode is not pointless, this is the core of why anyone should play any game but it's just too alluring to be tempted to play the other modes with their generous rewards on offer. With RTB, we EVENTUALLY, after a long tedious marathon style grind format, will MAYBE get a tier 7 heavy tank which will only appeal to a certain % of the playerbase, I'm sure some or many don't really care about that tank or playstyle or it's less than impressive stats. If you want a decent T7 heavy tank you play a T29 or something right? So what else is there on offer with this event that will consume hours, days maybe a week or more NOT playing any other game-mode and NOT bagging all those other goodies you could be? Some cheap version crew skill books and that new type of vent a player has to pay 2 million credits to boost to 7.5%... credits which you certainly won't have made playing this game mode since it pays no credits at all lol... oh and some badge or whatever.

Ok, so it's an interesting and welcome game mode but the rewards really just doesn't tick the boxes when it has to compete with so many generously rewarded and fun to play game modes on offer right now.

In Short

Do you guys feel that with this game mode, it's a case of WG not adding enough rewards or too many events and mission on offer at the same time or do you actually feel you can participate in all of them? Personally speaking I can't, I'd litterally drop to ground with a seizure from burn out but maybe that's just because I'm pushing on now and someone in their 20's can do all the events just fine. 

Edited by TungstenHitman, 05 May 2020 - 12:53 PM.

Galan7891 #2 Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10133 battles

I fail to see how this is a bad thing.Afterall some events are allready useless to a part of the community.I mean a veteran of 40k battles that has all/most tier 10 tanks will have little reason to participate in ToTT or TR.Some see FL as the devil due to certain vehicles.Etc etc.

Different events for different people i suppose!

Killer711 #3 Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3870 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Yes. As, someone who's never really taken part in any of these new fangled battle passes and front liners and what not, I was excited to actually take part in something and maybe get some rewards and a new shiny tank. Looking at it now though there's not even much on offer, I don't even know what that last gizmo does, a few crew booklets are nice for the countries I play but is it worth  the grind?  No I feel there's no motivation to get through it, maybe an earning percent bonus for each tier you complete would be a smart idea.

Tell you what though if the tier 5 reward was you get to join the bot team as the ferdinand standing in the middle of the street with your lunchbox out I'd have unlocked it yesterday.

Motanku #4 Posted 05 May 2020 - 01:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21267 battles
  • [BULAN] BULAN
Hi guys!
Unfotunately this event named THE ROAD TO BERLIN it's a mess.
8/10 times when the match ending the game is blocking and close.
Other times we can't complete the task because the enemy tanks doesn't show off, the time is running out but there's no enemy to destry it.
You should reconsider the launch date of this event, be sure first is functioning correctly.

Otherwise THE ROAD TO BERLIN it's just a source of frustration.

Frustration for you developers for wasting time and resources for this event which doesn't work properly and most of the times kracks.
And frustration for us players for wasting time and energy in vane.

Edited by Motanku, 05 May 2020 - 01:18 PM.

Gruff_ #5 Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 25288 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

This was an issue all last year a well too many overlapping events and overload from all the various missions to keep uptodate with. 

They said it would be addressed but we are in the same place.  Yes I'm well aware they aren't all compulsory and we can pick and choose so having some events cater to different tastes is nice but at it's heart the core game should be the big draw not all the add ons.

_AiSaatana #6 Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:29 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 34500 battles
  • [FIPDR] FIPDR
It doesnt take much Time to get tier7 premium. Before 9.5 you grind to tier3 vehicles and stop there. Then you grind those x15 polets from randoms and safe those. When it comes to 9.5 Berlin map opens for tier3 vehicles and gives double XP. Then you Start to use those x15 multipliers with 4 friend platoon from clan etc and you rack up 3000xp from a win and finish whole crapin one evening.

Ceeb #7 Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 35730 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

Yeah, I watched a couple. Logged in, decided to give this event a miss, 

It annoys me when I see streamers already playing the tank as they get given it, or given on retal,   So no real need to do a BS mode.

unhappy__bunny #8 Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

Brigadier

• 21149 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

I cannot see a problem here.

Frontlines has finished for the month.

Missions run with normal random battles and get completed by playing randoms.

Battlepass runs with normal random battles, so gets completed by playing randoms. 

Tank Rewards runs with normal random battles, so also get completed by playing randoms.

Road to Berlin is just a fun mode to celebrate the end of WW2. 

None of them HAVE to be played. None of them HAVE to be rushed through.

The only problem is players mindsets, which tell the player he MUST play every mode because he MUST gain every reward, and he MUST complete each event as soon as possible. 

But does it matter if it takes 1 week or 1 year to complete a mission?

Does it matter if Battlepass or Tank Rewards takes 1 or 2 days or as long as the event lasts?

Does Frontlines have to be completed in 1 day or the full week?

Why do players make a grind out of a game? Whatever happened to just playing a game for the fun and entertainment it brings? 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #9 Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 36960 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 May 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

Why do players make a grind out of a game? Whatever happened to just playing a game for the fun and entertainment it brings? 

Heresy! Burn the witch! 

Balc0ra #10 Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77184 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

I mean, with the lockdown in the early stages. People were complaining about there not being multiple events to keep then engaged. As there were topics even requesting 7vs7 and FL as permanent modes for the duration of lockdown.  And yes, late last year they had event on event with no lockdown. That was insane, and I suspect not many did bother to keep up with all of it.

And sure, if you want all the rewards it might be a tad much if you actually are stretched thin on time, as not everyone is in lockdown or forced home from work. But at the same time for others, it's not a bad deal. And not many even care about Berlin and the rewards for it, or FL, or tank rewards this time around. So I'm not sure it's a super huge issue for that many tbh.

Berlin has the premium tank as the 4th stage out of 5. The last one being bond equipment needing a lot more. That I suspect not many will go for vs the time needed for 15K points. And most will make the tank in due time considering how long it lasts. You can do a daily for tank rewards while doing missions to get the tree 15x for the Berlin event. As there is no point playing that mode after your dailies are used up for 24 points per battle. And FL has taken me 2 days per week, or about 16 to 19 battles to get to rank 15. So, it's not like that is a week-long engagement either. I see no point playing FL for 3 to 6 battles more for 150 bonds. Even with the good credits for it to crash with anything else.

boboiscool #11 Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:41 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2272 battles

View PostMotanku, on 05 May 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

Hi guys!
Unfotunately this event named THE ROAD TO BERLIN it's a mess.
8/10 times when the match ending the game is blocking and close.
Other times we can't complete the task because the enemy tanks doesn't show off, the time is running out but there's no enemy to destry it.
You should reconsider the launch date of this event, be sure first is functioning correctly.

Otherwise THE ROAD TO BERLIN it's just a source of frustration.

Frustration for you developers for wasting time and resources for this event which doesn't work properly and most of the times kracks.
And frustration for us players for wasting time and energy in vane.

No problems with his mode after a game, tried to play in safe mode?

Press the W key if you want to destroy enemies, camping on the redline will not make you win in this moide. Nor does saving your tank hp. Sometimes/Often I still see people on 3th/4th stage with their first tank (heavy most of the time) playing like it is their own live and trying not get killed while time is running out and al we need to do is push a little bit and kill some bots.

KinkyTail #12 Posted 05 May 2020 - 04:53 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2293 battles
  • [8RAIN] 8RAIN

View PostTungstenHitman, on 05 May 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

Do you guys feel that with this game mode, it's a case of WG not adding enough rewards or too many events and mission on offer at the same time

Way too many events at the same time:

This month only we have:

Battle Pass

Referral Program

Tank Rewards

Frontline
Road to Berlin

Anniversary Missions

Daily missions
Premium Acount Missions
TOTT
Militairy Parade
International Workers
Choose Your Difficulty
XP Fever
Play Your Class Right

And a lot of those are overlapping eachother. To me it just makes clear that the core game isnt good enough anymore so they patch it with events to keep people playing instead of fixing the game.

xtrem3x #13 Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:02 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 37037 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

I don't see the problem, you don't need to complete them all.

It's a game at the end of the day... Games are supposed to be enjoyed, if you don't enjoy it and feel it's a grind and compare it to work etc then go and play a different game that you do enjoy :child:

Over the last few months I've sunk almost 200 hours into Witcher 3 and completed it along with the 2 DLCs. It was fun so I don't care that I might have missed out on a tank or random piece of equipment on WoT

_6i6_ #14 Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 25214 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postxtrem3x, on 05 May 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

I don't see the problem, you don't need to complete them all.

It's a game at the end of the day... Games are supposed to be enjoyed, if you don't enjoy it and feel it's a grind and compare it to work etc then go and play a different game that you do enjoy :child:

Over the last few months I've sunk almost 200 hours into Witcher 3 and completed it along with the 2 DLCs. It was fun so I don't care that I might have missed out on a tank or random piece of equipment on WoT

Yes but did you grind all the Witcher armor sets? :P

Hyina #15 Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 65201 battles

I guess it comes down to choice, we all want everything we can possibly get our hands on, but that's not always possible. It's nice to have a complete collection of things but let's be honest, would we really play the IS2 shielded after this event in randoms, apart from you marking it?

More content is better than fewer content. Yes WG still is focusing their attention down the wrong paths and not making the changes they ought to be making in order to make this game itself better, but at least they are doing something to amp up their game a bit and keep the playerbase interested.

I actually think they got this Berlin event perfect, the difficulty is just right and the bots okay to deal with, provided you haven't got a bot or afk or dc, in which case you're screwed.

xtrem3x #16 Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 37037 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X

View Post_6i6_, on 05 May 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

Yes but did you grind all the Witcher armor sets? :P

Yes I did, but I'm level 54 now and they only go to level 40 :(

Completed every side mission as well and explored everywhere possible :)

TungstenHitman #17 Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 33410 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View PostHyina, on 05 May 2020 - 04:55 PM, said:

I guess it comes down to choice, we all want everything we can possibly get our hands on, but that's not always possible. It's nice to have a complete collection of things but let's be honest, would we really play the IS2 shielded after this event in randoms, apart from you marking it?

More content is better than fewer content. Yes WG still is focusing their attention down the wrong paths and not making the changes they ought to be making in order to make this game itself better, but at least they are doing something to amp up their game a bit and keep the playerbase interested.

I actually think they got this Berlin event perfect, the difficulty is just right and the bots okay to deal with, provided you haven't got a bot or afk or dc, in which case you're screwed.

Ya that's pretty much my point though. The rewards, while free and "yay free stuff" are really nothing other than the T7 and if you have the interest to do it all again, in regards to required points, you get the bad version of improved vents and a good skill book but by F you will have deserved it at that stage and a hell of a lot more. 

That's not me saying I don't like the game mode and it's me being ungrateful for free stuff and more content. What I am saying is that the game content dates could probably stand to be spread out a little because most all modes have their fun and interesting points but because of only being able to play so much before burn-out or getting fed up of gaming so it's a shame to miss out on some of them and have to pick which mode to focus on.

The problem I feel with this RTB mode is that the rewards being so few and so specific, sort of makes it less desirable to play where time and burn-out does not allow a player to engage in WoT game modes and that random battles sort of tie in a lot of mission and events into just playing regular battles with tanks you own and know well and styles you actually want to play or even marking tanks etc, so there's just many reasons to invest your limited WoT time into other game modes and not much into this one. The fact there's so few stages and the stage rewards in RTB suck apart from the last two , means that even a small participation in this game mode, should you have a little bit of time for it, makes no sense to play other than just that bit of fun trying a new game mode which btw, wears thin quickly and quickly becomes grindy so since there's no real rewards until the end, there's no point other to participate other than a few battles here and there just for a break from the norm and bit of fun.

I think what might have been a really attractive reward to take players away from the other more rewarding game modes and invest their WoT time in thins mode would be a choice of tank rewards and not just a heavy tank. Being a T7 it's not going to be a go-to tank for grinding credits or crew unless you don't have any because T8 premiums are better... in pretty much every aspect so it would have to be for a tank you might actually enjoy and want to play for fun and cheaper to run than a tech tree tank so for me it should be still just one tank reward obviously, BUT, a choice between a heavy, light, medium and TD. All with the same chopped up LIDL and ALDI shopping trolley "shielded" parts strapped onto them like the featured IS whatever it's called... might actually be nice to have a light tank and medium that's a got something to reduce the slap from an SPG or HEATnHE slinger. 

NipplesTheClown #18 Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 9271 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
we have still yet to see new maps. however, they are quick to roll out new premium tanks and dumb events. shows where their priorities are: wallet warriors. 

General_Jack_D_Ripper #19 Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:06 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4904 battles

I feel this mode is a test to see how high people value bounty equipment.

Therefore it is no mistake, that is in a higher reward tier than IS-2, it is no mistake, that this mode gives very littly bonus to regular WoT.

And still at the same time as tank rewards(which does not have very nice rewards this tim).

The price here is not IS-2. 

It is bounty vents vs IS-2

It is bounty vents vs AT-15a/ Another premium Panther/ pitiful Sherman

It is bounty vents vs credits and progress in tech tree

It is bounty vents vs bonds

They want to see how many people are villing to invest money and a lot of time to get that bounty vents.

So here is the deal: if a high percentage of players grind to vents and pay (maybe numerous times), you can expect this to happen more often.

If a lot of people stop at  stage IV and are contect with tier VII premium tank, the next big grind will most likely be for a tier 8 premium tank again.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 06 May 2020 - 03:10 AM.

Space_Vato #20 Posted 06 May 2020 - 07:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 3533 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 05 May 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

I cannot see a problem here.

Frontlines has finished for the month.

Missions run with normal random battles and get completed by playing randoms.

Battlepass runs with normal random battles, so gets completed by playing randoms. 

Tank Rewards runs with normal random battles, so also get completed by playing randoms.

Road to Berlin is just a fun mode to celebrate the end of WW2. 

None of them HAVE to be played. None of them HAVE to be rushed through.

The only problem is players mindsets, which tell the player he MUST play every mode because he MUST gain every reward, and he MUST complete each event as soon as possible. 

But does it matter if it takes 1 week or 1 year to complete a mission?

Does it matter if Battlepass or Tank Rewards takes 1 or 2 days or as long as the event lasts?

Does Frontlines have to be completed in 1 day or the full week?

o.0  "None have to be played".

Is like

You don't have to play AT ALL.

FWIW is it even possible to reach and finish the last stage WITHOUT buying these multipliers?

My guess is no, not for 90%

And all THEY get is a discount (if you manage to get through 1 or 2 stages).

Just a silly moneygrab. Silly but typical WG.

Edited by Space_Vato, 06 May 2020 - 07:29 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users