75 replies to this topic

morgotz #1 Posted 05 May 2020 - 05:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 34944 battles
  • [E-50M] E-50M

POPULAR

Hey there,

some of you might still remember me from 5 years ago. I basically ragequit WoT because it annoyed the hell out of me and even back then I wasn't performing how I used to, but couldn't quite put a finger on what the problem supposedly was (aside from me getting enraged and then playing even more agressive after every single loss).

Now Corona gave me the time, the 10-year anniversary (though I'm still 3 months shy of MY 10 years) a good reason and I am proactively procrastinating and avoid any of my e-learning assignments from work, so now I'm back.

But I play terrible nowadays, mostly due to me being bad, can't hit as many shots as I used to, can't seem to penetrate as many of my enemies as I'd like or was used to, yet this is not why I am writing this thread. This thread is more like cathartic release and analysis, as I am getting additionally frustrated by gameplay that used to excite me and let me strive for excellence and now is just a mess. At least for me.

So in this topic I'm going to discuss what in my eyes has changed and what should have been done differently, though I know that WG won't change as it is too late and they are content in bathing in money.

Let me begin with the maps:

Maps have always been diverse in WoT. On most maps you have long and short range engagements, flanking shots, active and passive scouting possibilities with flanking shots being the more decisive factor. Even the old extremes of Ensk and Himmelsdorf allowed for that and both maps have basically remained the same with minor adjustments for convenience without dumbing them down. Malinovka is a good example of an improved map while making it easier to play, Prokhorovka as well. Yet the newer maps cater to a simpler style of play with multiple problems. I picked two as an example.

Overlord:

Spoiler

In red I marked a bush/hilltop combo. You can drive up to the bush, not get spotted, fire a shot and immediately drive back into cover from direct fire. There is basically no way to counter but with a tank to drive into the space and proxyspot. This creates two problems:

1. Stale gameplay as everyone is sitting in his personal bush with slow and sluggish war of attrition.

2. Head-on engagements with no flanking possibilities or playing a support element to another "lane" as you can get hit everywhere and losing HP is apparently not in your interest.

In pink I marked simple head-on engagements. There isn't much to say here, but it simply is a game of who deals more damage with taking less. It isn't even really about sidescraping, its just about finding your hulldown spot to fight. Don't have a tough turret? Tough luck I guess.

(Also check out this https://www.reddit.c...0_version_2019/ for a similar experience but as a tactics advise)

Next is Paris

Spoiler

Same but different here.

In red again the bush/hill combo. Same gameplay as on Overlord. And if you look at most other maps, especially the obvious mirrored ones, you have the same problem. Studzianki would be a prime example with having a full ridgeline of bushes on both side of the open field in viewing/drawing distance. These spots promote passive gameplay while you wait for another tank to do a brave/stupid thing and then you blast him into space.

In pink head-on engagements with hardly any possibility to support from flanking (because you get rekt in these positions). Also more "hulldown" than sidescraping gameplay.

Many maps now come down to a gameplay similar to lanes or tunnels with hulldown head-on engagements like above, but you probably knew that already. The possibility of switching lanes in the middle of it, supporting another lane, or playing outside of them is generally hindered by map design (Empires Border!!!)

Again, with all these head-on engagements but without the pressure relief of flanking shots, it leads to a certain playstyle that was more or less foreign back in "my" day. It leads to the determining factor who just "tanks" more shots and deals more damage. Frontally. Also to ignore the rest of the map, as it will only interest a player, when the other "lane" is rekt and they are getting a warm tingling feeling in their butts. A very straightforward playstyle. This also means that as the average player premium ammunition feels like the only proper choice to be useful part of the team and this is exacerbated by my next talking point.

Tanks and a perceived powercreep (at least in T10):

Over the years WG has added many tanks. Sometimes overpowered, sometimes underpowered and had to fix them in the long term. Yet with every new tank, for some reason, older tanks lost their status.

M48 needed to be buffed, FV4202 was thrown out and replaced with something stronger (probably a right move), FV215B is now the S.Conq, T110E5 got nerfed, then buffed again, as it was first overpowered, then underpowered and no idea what kind of powered it now is. E-50M got a rework, and somewhere in between a gundepression buff and a phenomenal 0.16s reloadtime decrease. Yay!

Kranvagn, basically a reworked AMX50B with armor (hulldown of course). And lets not forget the countless new russian HTs and TDs, that are popping out of some poor, vodka fueled tank-designers file cabinet, who decided to make some rubles and send his "original" blueprints to WG.

You see, back in the day there were endless discussions about the armor penetration value of the 7,5cm L70 PaK. It used to be 135mm and WG would not change it. Then they found a flaw in the calculations or the Wehmacht had different testing methods and suddenly it was 150mm. Recently I found out, that the 8,8cm L56 is now buffed to 148mm. So WG used to have reasonable interest in historical accuracy and actually still advertise with it.

Spoiler

And I get that they have to let it go and go for gameplay compatability instead and do whatever they think is right with their tanks. But this perceived powercreep is as damaging to the game (at least in toptiers) as the faulty map design.

Both of these problems lead to an increased usage of premium ammunition (in the long run more revenue for WG), which for those who know me has been a bane to my existence. Premiumammunition might not be the cause for the problems, but both maps and powercreep will always be correlated to the usage of premiumammunition and vice versa as in the actual arms race in the Cold War and today (HEAT -> reactive armor -> tandem HEAT -> improved reactive armor and so on). And because premiumammo is easily obtainable and reasonably cheap, it is just more simple to doubletap "2" for increased penetration than to look for a way to mitigate my flaws and make the enemy fight on my turf. Why should I facehug an IS-4 with my E100 to fire through his turretroof instead of just blowing him up with 330mm HEAT?

He will think the same and not try to outsmart me, just to outgun me and now we have a circle of stupidification that leads to the stale gameplay we have today. Armor is just a number and youre better off with something sloped and or round. While armor is balanced around the tier it is in, premiumammo is not. Or at least used to (Obj 279(e)).

On a sidenote here: EBR 105

Spoiler

I am not as good at hitting tanks as I used to, but this thing is completely, mindboggingly insane and I don't know why they introduced that tank

To summarize:

A lack of creativity and diversity in map design, favouring mirrored maps because of "balance" combined with an increase in short range engagements for all LTs, HTs and MTs has led to a dumbing down and lane-thinking of gameplay

Additionally the powercreep with new, partially even out of era tanks leads to an increased use of premiumammunition for players to actually feel useful, as thanks to map design there seems to be no other choice available.

The fear of losing HP to someone firing Premiumammo then leads to passive, wall hugging gameplay, turning basically every fight more into a fight of attrition and less of wits and tank knowledge.

How could have WG approached this better and what could they probably still change in the future?

For one they should have and should balance increased penetration of premiumammunition by decreasing damage. Maybe 1/3 decrease as a start. When I was streaming, that would be my go-to answer. Even though the british deathstars are equally annoying, balancing more damage for an increased price with less penetration made it "fair". Being oneshotted still sucks, but at least you had a better chance of just getting hit by 900 damage or less than 1450 basically everytime. This could encourage players to take more risks, as their big, usually slow and meaty tanks take less damage and can properly be used for breakthroughs, but still be more usable than small caliber HE. It is not realistic, but what about the damage parameters is?

Secondly they have to rethink their map making progress. Currently it seems like they try to fit all 5 types of tanks onto one map, yet disregard that even the old maps like unreworked Malinovka had a place for every tank, but the playerbase was furious due to lack of understanding gameplay fundamentals (spotting) and the bloody "red death from the sky" raining hellfire from above on heavies, understandably demotivating them.

"Red death from the sky" is kind of fixed, so they can stop thinking in lanes more in terms of space with flowing transitions. This is a difficult task, but I guess WG could stop drinking so much expensive vodka and get some good designers or release a map-making tool to the community.

As for the tanks and their powercreep, WG should not only look at general stats, but maybe include "use of premiumammo" and "hit/dmg by premiumammo" as other parameters to have a feeling for balance. Balance in such a complex game as WoT should not come from simple numbers and winrates (though they do make a big part of the equation thanks to the rule of big numbers) but there has to be a heuristic view on all factors combined to properly balance a tank.

These problems probably won't be the downfall of WoT, but is in my opinion the reason why I and many former players feel so frustrated by WoT(besides me playing like a tomato)

[/rant]

Since this topic shouldn't just be me rambling like an old, drunk grandpa about the good ol' times, what do you think: am I right, wrong, is this a revelation to you or has this just been common knowledge for the past 5 years that I missed while being in the real life or playing other games?

On a different note: the new physics engine might be nice, but it sucks to get stuck on a wooden door frame, or climbing a wall or flipping because my tracks are made out of glue and decide to mount a large boulder (except when im trying to shoot down a steep decline).

And to end it positively, game looks nice and runs smooth.

Also the "red death from the sky" has apparently been fixed, its not infuriating anymore, just annoying. So I might start calling it by its designation, but old wounds never heal or something like that.

Edited by Homer_J, 05 May 2020 - 05:59 PM.
Red text

Xensation #2 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Clan Commander
  • 18001 battles
Reported for aimbot

Private_Miros #3 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28660 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Many of the points in your post are exactly what are the main issues of the game currently and are a large cause of most players' frustration, which leads to the rants about MM and rigging by those that lack insight in the basic mechanics.

Fix the maps and remedy the power creep, and you come a long way elimination the more frustrating sides of WoT.

qpranger #4 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
I agree.

Balc0ra #5 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77199 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

See the red zone on Overlord is the only fun part about that map for me. My meds and lights loves to go there on either side. And after a bit you know what part you can poke up to without getting spotted, as you have to keep in mind the lights that can be on the far corner to spot your approach up.

But that's just it. What kills the gameplay for you. Enhances it for others. Be it a bad map, bad tank or even the EBR. As your top 5 hated map and tank list, are on others top 5 most loved. And thus it's not easy for WG to balance it perfectly fun for everyone on most areas. As not everyone has the same play style either, or even likes the same tanks. Tho I'm sure more then a fair few will not disagree with Paris regardless of what their style is.

But, as for powercreep on tier X. As you migth know or not. WG plan to buff and alter a fair few tanks soon. Inc the Tiger II, E5 and E100 to name some. EBR is getting nerfed in several areas. But we only know of their plans to increase speed penalty on 1 and 2 damaged wheels atm.  They want it to be around 15 to 25% pr wheel, vs the 5% it has now on 1. So we will see how that goes. I'm just hoping for a tier X view range nerf if anything.

View Postmorgotz, on 05 May 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

Then they found a flaw in the calculations or the Wehmacht had different testing methods and suddenly it was 150mm. Recently I found out, that the 8,8cm L56 is now buffed to 148mm. So WG used to have reasonable interest in historical accuracy and actually still advertise with it.

Balance goes over historical accuracy at times. It's why some tanks have less or more armor then they had. Same with guns. Tiger has a top gun he never had, as the Turret lacked room for it. And thus 132mm was seen as more favorable vs the other tests at the time. But as that meta came and left, powercreep set in on the short 88. And once the Japanese Tiger was added at tier 6. The performance on that showed it would not be unreasonable to buff it up a bit. But they still wanted it under 150mm. So 148 it was.

View Postmorgotz, on 05 May 2020 - 05:47 PM, said:

These problems probably won't be the downfall of WoT, but is in my opinion the reason why I and many former players feel so frustrated by WoT(besides me playing like a tomato)

[/rant]

Tbh I see the same on all the games I play that start to get close to 10 years old. It's not the game you liked back in the day. Any change is bad etc. But at the same time, it's what got others to play it later. If it was the same old 10 years later. I would not still be here tbh. But I know some would like it that way too.

SovietBias #6 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40660 battles

To be fair OP, the biggest change to map philosophy happened while you were still (presumably) playing, which is when they massively changed how camo and vision worked, and remade a bunch of maps accordingly. HD reworks slowly compounded the issue.

Not that I disagree with what you stated, but taking the topics you summarized, all of them bar the powercreep - which is kind of expected in a game that has been running for 10 years – have been in the game from the start.

Edited by SovietBias, 05 May 2020 - 06:31 PM.

Private_Miros #7 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:31 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28660 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostBalc0ra, on 05 May 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

See the red zone on Overlord is the only fun part about that map for me.

I think that was part of the issue. It's one of the only viable parts of the map, apart for fringe moves.

krismorgan #8 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38655 battles
  • [UKT] UKT
Agree on most of your points op but the most annoying thing personally is the rubbish maps now-boring,predictable etc.Then the 3 or 4 minute games-no fun.

24doom24 #9 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9466 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

The over all gaming experience had deteriorated so much. WG keeps focusing on graphics and pushing out an endless supply of premium tanks instead of revising and improving game mechanics and vehicle balance. 

And when they do look at game mechanics and balance it takes forever for them to do something. And more often then not their changes are just bad and deteriorate the game even more (Arty stun, 3-5-7, 1.0 which removed many maps, EBR etc.)

I actually can't remember the last time WG did a major vehicle statistic change in an update that involved higher tier tanks, and we're still waiting for the new balance changes for E-100 and the rest.

1.0 just ended up breaking a lot of stuff (some bushes in some maps) and removed too many maps, and those stupid stone physics that seems to be a problem with the engine itself according to WG. 1.0 is imo the most unnecessary update and it took away a lot more than it added, they could have spent all that development in core mechanics instead of dumping it all in "muh graphics". 

And the numbers show that, go to wot news and you can see how the weekly games dropped from 1.3 million at the beginning of 2017 (right before update 9.18 that added stun and 3-5-7) down to 630k over the next 2 to 3 years. WoT hasn't reached 1 million weekly games in over 2 years now. 

At least WG seems to be lurching ever so slowly in the right direction as of the last few months.

Edited by 24doom24, 05 May 2020 - 07:05 PM.

LethalWalou #10 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35439 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA

View PostBalc0ra, on 05 May 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

See the red zone on Overlord is the only fun part about that map for me. My meds and lights loves to go there on either side. And after a bit you know what part you can poke up to without getting spotted, as you have to keep in mind the lights that can be on the far corner to spot your approach up.

You know what is (potentially) even more fun. ;) You can move up through the green bits to try to get closer to the enemy side of the 'bowl' to actually spot them while they are sitting there. I haven't made it work yet in live conditions though but it should be quite easily doable in theory.

Spoiler

Snagfang #11 Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16567 battles

If I'm honest, posts like this usually make my TL;DR light start flashing, but I read every line of this one.

I agree with most of what you say, and kudos to you chap for marshalling your thoughts and putting them down in a thoughtful and intelligent post.

:great:

morgotz #12 Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 34944 battles
  • [E-50M] E-50M

View PostBalc0ra, on 05 May 2020 - 06:29 PM, said:

But that's just it. What kills the gameplay for you. Enhances it for others. Be it a bad map, bad tank or even the EBR. As your top 5 hated map and tank list, are on others top 5 most loved. And thus it's not easy for WG to balance it perfectly fun for everyone on most areas. As not everyone has the same play style either, or even likes the same tanks. Tho I'm sure more then a fair few will not disagree with Paris regardless of what their style is

It's not about that I do not find the map appealing, but that it is an example for a style of map that is getting implemented more and more. Repetitively, reusing "working" samples

But, as for powercreep on tier X. As you migth know or not. WG plan to buff and alter a fair few tanks soon. Inc the Tiger II, E5 and E100 to name some. EBR is getting nerfed in several areas. But we only know of their plans to increase speed penalty on 1 and 2 damaged wheels atm.  They want it to be around 15 to 25% pr wheel, vs the 5% it has now on 1. So we will see how that goes. I'm just hoping for a tier X view range nerf if anything.

Thats one of the points, while there is such an extreme example of an EBR that definetly needs to be nerfed, the rest is probably getting buffs. That is again powercreep, the rest is too strong, so we need buffs, why not for once in 10 years to freshen it up, nerf the rest of the tanks, it probably doesnt even have to be much as more tanks being slightly less successful will benefit the few that are already less successful. But that definetly is a hard pill to swallow for the playerbase and I think at some point in the past SerB (does he still live or is he on his private island by now?) mentioned that they will rather buff than nerf.

Balance goes over historical accuracy at times. It's why some tanks have less or more armor then they had. Same with guns. Tiger has a top gun he never had, as the Turret lacked room for it. And thus 132mm was seen as more favorable vs the other tests at the time. But as that meta came and left, powercreep set in on the short 88. And once the Japanese Tiger was added at tier 6. The performance on that showed it would not be unreasonable to buff it up a bit. But they still wanted it under 150mm. So 148 it was.

That's the discrepancy, on one hand they want to be "historically accurate" but then put guns on tanks, that they shouldnt have. War Thunder is probably doing a better job at that, though I havent checked that for an equally long time as WoT. So why bother and go reasonably far away from that concept and properly balance?

Tbh I see the same on all the games I play that start to get close to 10 years old. It's not the game you liked back in the day. Any change is bad etc. But at the same time, it's what got others to play it later. If it was the same old 10 years later. I would not still be here tbh. But I know some would like it that way too.

And then there is Counterstrike, which until "recently" still had the same weapon spray, same maps and still a whole lot of players playing it (weapon skins, yay)

View Post24doom24, on 05 May 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

And when they do look at game mechanics and balance it takes forever for them to do something. And more often then not their changes are just bad and deteriorate the game even more (Arty stun, 3-5-7, 1.0 which removed many maps, EBR etc.)

And the numbers show that, go to wot news and you can see how the weekly games dropped from 1.3 million at the beginning of 2017 (right before update 9.18 that added stun and 3-5-7) down to 630k over the next 2 to 3 years. WoT hasn't reached 1 million weekly games in over 2 years now. 

I for one do "like" the arty rebalance as it keeps them useful (as if theyve ever been useful), while dropping damage to an acceptable level

For the second point: maybe they should reevaluate their strategy.

View PostSnagfang, on 05 May 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

If I'm honest, posts like this usually make my TL;DR light start flashing, but I read every line of this one.

I agree with most of what you say, and kudos to you chap for marshalling your thoughts and putting them down in a thoughtful and intelligent post.

:great:

Thank you, I thought about a tl;dr, but I guess the summarize could do the trick.

But if you insist, take this and in your mind dub it with WoT themes:

Spoiler

chessstud #13 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:33 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19034 battles

Everyone knows this game is going downhill. I just played this morning 15-2 15-3 2-15 6-15. I had zero influence on the outcome of any of the battles. It came down to who had the least 44% subhumans in their teams.

I lived in eastern Europe for a few months, and I can tell you that this is typical Slavic customer service. WG's disregard for/apathy towards their customers is leading to this game dying.

Broken balance at all tiers, gold spamming, pay to win tanks, 3x artillery in the game, corridor maps and of course the completely broken class of tank EBRs. What a terrible gaming experience.

mystikro #14 Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36571 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Gold ammo is the thing that is ruining the game the most.I can deal with the aids on wheels, I can deal with overly armored tanks, but I cannot deal with gold spam. And it is absolutely disgusting that you cannot find any S Conq not spamming gold, obj 430U running full heat sh!tbarn running full gold HE. Even arty is now shooting gold. It's gotten ridiculous. Besides it creating a disadvantage for free to play players that may not run a premium account to afford gold spam, it is absolutely ruining armor. You give medium tanks mobility but then you also give them gold ammo that makes the mobility more of a side feature, because why would a tank flank when they can just spam 330 mm pen shells.

This is why I've been playing low tiers recently. Not that there isn't gold spam there, it's just that I don't really care about it, it's not causing credits to be lost. And most important, the WN8 farmers, these boring people that think the 2 key is their most important skill are absolute scrubs when you take away their gold. I was watching the Road to Berlin players, unable to figure out how to shoot a Ferdi. Well of course they don't understand, because when the monkey sees HURR DURR armor, it presses 2.

The game has devalued armor so much that it is absolutely disgusting to play tier 10. It's depressing to event bother. All the while KV-5 cries in the corner with useless armor and 217mm pen... I wish I could sell my premium tanks for half the gold. I could at least retrain some crews and do something more interesting than just keep it in tanks I never play anymore because WG thought it was funny to destroy the game with powercreep. I'm sure some smart e-commerce guy could trash the company for practicing planned irrelevancy with all the premiums that get outdated as the game gets more OP around them. But screw them, I'm not buying new tanks, I've only done the occasional 1000 gold for demounting equipment because why bother with anything else.

_Signal_ #15 Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49295 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postmystikro, on 05 May 2020 - 08:43 PM, said:

Gold ammo is the thing that is ruining the game the most.I can deal with the aids on wheels, I can deal with overly armored tanks, but I cannot deal with gold spam. And it is absolutely disgusting that you cannot find any S Conq not spamming gold, obj 430U running full heat sh!tbarn running full gold HE. Even arty is now shooting gold. It's gotten ridiculous. Besides it creating a disadvantage for free to play players that may not run a premium account to afford gold spam, it is absolutely ruining armor. You give medium tanks mobility but then you also give them gold ammo that makes the mobility more of a side feature, because why would a tank flank when they can just spam 330 mm pen shells.

This is why I've been playing low tiers recently. Not that there isn't gold spam there, it's just that I don't really care about it, it's not causing credits to be lost. And most important, the WN8 farmers, these boring people that think the 2 key is their most important skill are absolute scrubs when you take away their gold. I was watching the Road to Berlin players, unable to figure out how to shoot a Ferdi. Well of course they don't understand, because when the monkey sees HURR DURR armor, it presses 2.

The game has devalued armor so much that it is absolutely disgusting to play tier 10. It's depressing to event bother. All the while KV-5 cries in the corner with useless armor and 217mm pen... I wish I could sell my premium tanks for half the gold. I could at least retrain some crews and do something more interesting than just keep it in tanks I never play anymore because WG thought it was funny to destroy the game with powercreep. I'm sure some smart e-commerce guy could trash the company for practicing planned irrelevancy with all the premiums that get outdated as the game gets more OP around them. But screw them, I'm not buying new tanks, I've only done the occasional 1000 gold for demounting equipment because why bother with anything else.

Have to disagree there ar emuch bigger problems they game has rather then prem, maps and the general; design towards a camp fest type game being the main one. Unofrtuatenly WG always seem to listen to the wrong segment of the game.

malowany #16 Posted 05 May 2020 - 09:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6788 battles
  • [H-O-A] H-O-A
Yeah, armour in this game has become a liability, which is ironic for a game focused around tanks. EBRs further prove that no armour and as much mobility as possible is the way to go. It's supposed to be a trade-off but it isn't, mobility is worth 5 times as much as armour. It only works when there is an obscene amount of it without weak spots like few premiums have, any type of in-between kind of armour is as good as paper with disadvantage of being heavy.

mystikro #17 Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36571 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Signal_, on 05 May 2020 - 10:48 PM, said:

Have to disagree there ar emuch bigger problems they game has rather then prem, maps and the general; design towards a camp fest type game being the main one. Unofrtuatenly WG always seem to listen to the wrong segment of the game.

No. There are maps that are not corridors and you still get the spam. The excuse then is that they can't go in the field because they get shot. I pointed out that before and got people angry. It's not the maps. It's the irrelevancy of armor. You get the gold bush wanker that can just spam and not care. But if you take away the super pen and then an MAUS steam rolls towards his bush and he needs to move his [edited]to do damage fron the side, all the sudden now the spamming cockroach has to move and this makes the gameplay dynamic again. Nerf the armor and add weakspots, but just remove ridiculous pen that is autoaim. A superheavy tank should definitely have some areas that are immune to shots. But then you still have weakspots and balance it out. Pressing 2 isn't fixing the fact that some tanks have too much armor. Armor needs to go back down to historical levels. As for premium tanks that cannot be nerfed here is what you do. Nerf the Defender a bit to curb the powercreep but give it preferential matchmaking. Then you make the OP one see way more tier 10 battles than before. And then ask peeps to either keep their OP version that sees tier 10 or the nerfed version that sees max tier 9. I'm sure some people would like to keep the OP version and still complain about the game. I rather see it cut down to size and made fun rather than the useless tank it is in tier 10 now and the game breaker it is in tier 8. And because I opted for it WG needs not worry about issues with nerfing premium tanks.

speedphlux #18 Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:40 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 51013 battles
  • [TZAR] TZAR

:honoring: Been wonder where you've been morgotz ! Keep on rambling ;)

Edited by speedphlux, 05 May 2020 - 10:42 PM.

morgotz #19 Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 34944 battles
  • [E-50M] E-50M

View Postmystikro, on 05 May 2020 - 10:12 PM, said:

No. There are maps that are not corridors and you still get the spam. The excuse then is that they can't go in the field because they get shot. I pointed out that before and got people angry. It's not the maps. It's the irrelevancy of armor. You get the gold bush wanker that can just spam and not care. But if you take away the super pen and then an MAUS steam rolls towards his bush and he needs to move his [edited]to do damage fron the side, all the sudden now the spamming cockroach has to move and this makes the gameplay dynamic again. Nerf the armor and add weakspots, but just remove ridiculous pen that is autoaim. A superheavy tank should definitely have some areas that are immune to shots. But then you still have weakspots and balance it out. Pressing 2 isn't fixing the fact that some tanks have too much armor. Armor needs to go back down to historical levels. As for premium tanks that cannot be nerfed here is what you do. Nerf the Defender a bit to curb the powercreep but give it preferential matchmaking. Then you make the OP one see way more tier 10 battles than before. And then ask peeps to either keep their OP version that sees tier 10 or the nerfed version that sees max tier 9. I'm sure some people would like to keep the OP version and still complain about the game. I rather see it cut down to size and made fun rather than the useless tank it is in tier 10 now and the game breaker it is in tier 8. And because I opted for it WG needs not worry about issues with nerfing premium tanks.

While your idea is quite nice, it will just bring more movement into the game, yet the gameplay won't change much as the TDs will still sit on their "pedestals" as they've been called and the HTs will still drive into their little lane and the MTs and LTs do stuff.

It could be an easy first step, but it has to be followed up by a broader change in mapdesign

VsUK #20 Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:44 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles
Well, based on the top trackers that monitor traffic to servers of both commercial & gaming for various reason's. It's in a steady decline since about 8 months after the introduction of Premium Ammo & then it dipped more when they started editing existing tanks to make them more difficult to pen with reg ammo. Why else do you think they've pushed this onto console gamers? Because that's where most of the wallet warriors are. People who are willing to pay Microsoft or Sony to play multiplayer games they've already purchased, on a console they've already purchased. Using electricity & broadband they also pay for. I mean, if they're willing to do that, then they're willing to spam gold 24/7.

Also tagged with maps, tanks, morgotz, gameplay, analysis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users