Game Feedback after 5 months of playing

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Ajunk #1 Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3824 battles

Hello to all!

Basically, as stated in the title, this is just my feedback on the game as a relative newcomer. Also a sort of, "screw it gonna go play something else" rant, one that I would rather make constructive. Some things have probably already been mentioned time and time again but it doesn't hurt to repeat them. Any "fine go play something else" comments I will ignore. If you don't like what you read, stop wasting your time. Obviously these are just my opinions, take it or leave it.

1.Wheeled Vehicles - I know this is an arcade style of game and not much about it tries to be incredibly realistic (apart from the 3D models of the historic tanks) but this is just way too much. Wheeled APCs and similar fighting vehicles are out there and yes, some do have road speeds of 100kph but come on... that's "road" speed. What I don't understand is there seems to be a ground resistance mechanic in the game, yet a wheeled vehicle does not seem to suffer from it in any meaningful way. Not going to get into the physics of this because I am no expert but tracked vehicles have tracks and are still being used today precisely because they suffer less on certain terrain. There are advantages and disadvantages to both designs and IRL both types are in use. Maybe even a faint effort at replicating that in the game would help balance things out. What do you really want from these anyway? A match full of mosquitoes or a new game style that is fun and challenging for everyone involved?

2.Artillery - I'm perfectly fine with having artillery in the game, but three of them? On some maps they are frustrating to play and you wonder why you're bothering with them and other maps you have free reign to make other players smash their keyboards in anger. Three are obviously too many and what sense do they really make in city maps? The mechanics of how they do damage and cause stuns I don't really care to get into but i've noticed there are some debates. Those will probably die down once you limit them to two per battle.

As for whether they should be in the game at all, nowadays mobile artillery are incredibly precise and useful battlefield weapons, makes sense to include them. Whether they were effective in the time period some of these tanks and prototypes were around I don't know, doesn't matter. After all, a lot of the tanks in your garage never saw production.

3.Map size and variety- Seriously, the maps are on average too small for 30 players. How often has it happened to you that you were pushing each other around for that good spot on the map to fight/snipe from? The size of the map makes it too likely for the games to have repetitive patters. i.e no real strategy or tactics involved but you all might disagree, just my experience of the game. Not much more I can say about that.

4. Gold ammo- I noticed in the now defunct e-sports matches everyone seemed to be loading the gold ammunition. Maybe there were exceptions? Only watched a few videos but it did seem like the majority were doing so. That  just seems to defeat any attempt to make a balanced game. Why not just introduce more types of ammo like war thunder did. That way you don't have a tank that has "standard" APCR and "gold" APCR? My UDES has those options and I just don't understand the logic. Are the standard ones made in China and the gold ones made in Germany or something? Why can't I have the choice of loading AP, APCR, HE and HEAT? The gun should be able to fire most of those rounds though I might be mistaken. Some more research on the matter would help but it's beside the point.

OR limit the amount of "gold" ammo a tank can carry and make the rounds more expensive since they're that good. Lowering the damage they do with a HP based durability system certainly did not make sense. None of those in the test server seemed to like it anyway.

5.Spotting Mechanics- Now this really bugs me. I don't understand why a tank I am aiming at should magically disappear if they leave an arbitrary distance after an arbitrary amount of time. If you have line of sight on the vehicle you ought to be able to see it no matter how fancy your turret is. Maybe if you made it so that you have to find cover before becoming "unspotted" then some players wouldn't make so many strange plays. I think it would benefit the tactical mindset of the players. The idea that it only takes 5 seconds to "deploy" a camo net is also a bit silly. When you think about it a tank commander being able to see all enemy tanks in a 360° view range all at once is also weird. I have no big issue with those last points since I understand the game does not try to be too realistic (yes I will give War Thunder a try after posting this as the realistic gameplay is what I was looking for all along). I still think disappearing tanks is incredibly annoying at times and ruins the immersion.

6.Being a new player- You guys really need to work on your tutorials more. Sure, there are plenty youtube tutorials out there but I really don't remember anything all that useful from the in-game tutorials. Those should also encourage new players to practice and improve at lower tiers before getting ruined in tier8 or 9 games. This is so you can keep a customer base after all but you don't do much to hold on to them. If you disagree well I would like to see what your new player turnover is and if you don't have that info, well damn you're missing out on business here just by not knowing. More experienced players are also at fault here but i'll get into that later.

7.Player Performance- This is a weird one. By performance I mean your player stats, win rate rating etc. Only suggestion I have is... ENJOY THE DAMN GAME. ITS A GAME. The more you look at that and worry about it the less you enjoy it. Soon I bet most of you don't even enjoy winning that game or having finally got to your 2nd or 3rd mark on whatever tank you were obsessing about. I myself decided, ok i'll get my 2nd mark on the UDES 14/15 and then move one to the t9. Jumping from 80 to 84% and back down to 80% again several times because of how many games you lost 15-2 was really not fun at all. It's just too easy to get caught up in those stats and giving them more importance. Go to a bar and tell that cute girl how you just got your win rate above 50% and your 3rd mark on a t10 tank. Good luck remaining a virgin. I have no idea what to tell the developers about this... just focus your lives on something else guys, we all get old and die, don't forget that. If you're gonna do this then enjoy it.

8.Player attitudes- I know not everyone is like this and I have had almost as many good interactions with other players as bad ones. My blacklist is nonetheless composed of 75 players and there would be waaaaay more had I not decided to just start trolling certain players in-game and calling them out for acting so childishly. In doing so have managed to avoid being rude even when being called "idiot" "bot" and... lol... the best insult of them all "brain cancer idiot". When some stranger calls you that I cannot help but laugh but at the same time... that's really pathetic.

Seriously, get a grip, if you want to win, stop distracting other players with insults and incessant pinging. Also please stop harassing other players in the game and if you do see someone shoting out insults, report them for that, don't abuse the report function and report players who aren't playing well. You know why you shouldn't do that? Cause then Wargaming won't take your reports seriously. Act like a child and you will be treated like one. They know perfectly well what you've decided to use that report function for and they don't care. Keep it for something useful and it will give fruit. If you see someone playing strange then give some advice instead. If they don't listen, who cares... it's a game. Time to reflect on what you yourself could have done better instead of looking at others for blame. That works for real life too. There, I manage to include a self-help tip as well.

Let's not even start on the welcome that toxic players give to newcomers. I only kept on tankin' because I have thick skin and better things to think about. You can say other people should also shrug it off but that's no justification for acting a certain way. And yeah, I know the internet is toxic at times but that doesn't mean it's right nor that that's the way it should be.

9.Map pinging- Please just put a damn limit on how many times you can ping the map. What I don't understand is, you can't spam the "T" button on an enemy but you can spam the map like a psychopath? Just apply the same logic and the problem is sorted. No need to discuss this further just get it done.

Don't really want to get into the Premium tank debate. I only have two and one of those is the bourrasque which I almost got for free, could have finished the event but had other things to do and couldn't play. The concept is fine as long as it's fun for everyone. I've found it more than possible to outplay a lot of premium tanks but sure, they're not all equal. Nothing I want to add there. I don't want to go around telling people how to make their money or spend their own (as long as it remains healthy of course).

All this said, I enjoyed the game for what it is and I might come back on occasionally but right now i'm kinda bored. Just playing out my last two days of premium account. To those who keep playing, enjoy!

DaniulSims #2 Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:56 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11471 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

I will only address the Wheeled Vehicle part as the rest of it is honestly neither here nor there for me and are all rather subjective topics:

A plethora of wheeled vehicles in real life have the game's equivalent of ground resistances (that is, pressure applied to the ground) equal to that of several WWII tanks in everything but the softest of terrains; the reason tracks are used is for the prospect of adding more weight through the chassis while maintaining respectable mobility stats, or towing. Both things wheels become increasingly worse at as the weight increases. What changes for most of them is engine power, in which in the game only the Panhard AMD is really over represented (that thing had something like a 100 hp engine IRL).

As for the soft ground resistances, trust me, they're horrid to go into, say, Lakeville 1-2 line's swamp with.

arthurwellsley #3 Posted 05 May 2020 - 07:57 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55943 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Can I have your stuff?

1.Wheeled Vehicles - They are about to be nerfed. After that the new UK line will appear and be even worse.

2.Artillery - I will keep quiet on this point, save to say SPG class should be stun, smoke screen, and star shell and zero damage dealing.

3.Map size and variety- More maps are shortly to appear (re-workings of removed old ones) but this is a point.

4. Gold ammo-  Why can't I have the choice of loading AP, APCR, HE and HEAT? Because in another game this option failed as the average player has enough of a problem choosing between three different types and four would be beyond them.

The game was designed around the 2 key and it is now too late to re-balance it in a way that would work for every tank and player.

5.Spotting Mechanics- I disagree with most of what you say and you clearly never read the wiki about it.

6.Being a new player- I cannot tell you how much better the tutorials have become than when I started in 2011 and there was NONE.

7.Player Performance- No. Games online are divided into PvP and PvE. Most PvP gamers care about stats. If you do not care about stats then play PvE. As an example of the problems where a game has a PvP mode and a PvE mode see a game called EVE.

8.Player attitudes- World of Tanks is probably less toxic than a few other online games that I have played.

9.Map pinging- Please just put a damn limit on it. Agreed. I use a mod to limit it. But it should be in the client.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 05 May 2020 - 08:06 PM.

Ajunk #4 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3824 battles

XD Hello no you can't have my stuff, I did say I might come back and play occasionally. Sorry!

Noivilbo #5 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:08 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15414 battles

It's a good game to remind you that there are a lot of better games out there..

When you are looking for something good to play, you play a few games and... you find something else

Game after 10 years has

1. Broken matchmaking (unbalanced teams both on rating scores of players and tank-wise (you'll see 5-6 lights with 3 artys in a match on each team rofl). Everything for the sake of fast queues I guess.
  2. Broken tanks are kept in the game for sometime so people will spend real money into purchasing them and then they will either be removed (WT Auf E100) or buried under so much nerf that if you take a deep mining drill you still won't find what you were looking for.
  3. RNG which is not RNG at all but bad coding
  4. Gold ammo to remove the skill completely
  5. Hacks that go unpunished with no proof of the company actually doing something about them
  6. New anonymizer to protect the anonymous profiles of the anonymous people (What?)
  7. Unstable servers (Although there are other companies out there with similar or worse than that (Ubisoft , EA and more).
  8. People who have no clue of how their tank is played end up in a tier X and just wonder like cows in a field with them.

Why play world of tanks

• You have nothing better to do
  • You play this in-between good game releases to pass the time.
  • Quick match, just 1-2 before going out or to bed
  • Want to feel how driving a real tank feels like.... *Gets in an EBR :trollface:

DeBanus #6 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:09 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30290 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

You forgot about the insanely rigged Matchmaker (4 toptier that have to carry the game or the entire team loses) and Mirror Matchmaking of OP tanks.

Just a regular example of todays' battle: Im in a tier 8 light on a completly useless map (Lakeville) in a tier 10 game (as usual)

Their team: Obj 279e who just hit double R and drove through the city to our cap without stopping, doing top damage without getting damaged in the process.

Our team Obj 277 that camped in the valley without doing sh!t.

Well done WG, keep the crap going!

Ajunk #7 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3824 battles

View PostDeBanus, on 05 May 2020 - 08:09 PM, said:

You forgot about the insanely rigged Matchmaker (4 toptier that have to carry the game or the entire team loses) and Mirror Matchmaking of OP tanks.

Just a regular example of todays' battle: Im in a tier 8 light on a completly useless map (Lakeville) in a tier 10 game (as usual)

Their team: Obj 279e who just hit double R and drove through the city to our cap without stopping, doing top damage without getting damaged in the process.

Our team Obj 277 that camped in the valley without doing sh!t.

Well done WG, keep the crap going!

Not bothered by the MM. I've had enough high caliber medals as low tier not to be bothered. Sorry to brag... Also sorry that it frustrates you, it does bother a lot of people and should probably be tweaked.

Ajunk #8 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3824 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 05 May 2020 - 07:57 PM, said:

Can I have your stuff?

1.Wheeled Vehicles - They are about to be nerfed. After that the new UK line will appear and be even worse.

2.Artillery - I will keep quiet on this point, save to say SPG class should be stun, smoke screen, and star shell and zero damage dealing.

3.Map size and variety- More maps are shortly to appear (re-workings of removed old ones) but this is a point.

4. Gold ammo-  Why can't I have the choice of loading AP, APCR, HE and HEAT? Because in another game this option failed as the average player has enough of a problem choosing between three different types and four would be beyond them.

The game was designed around the 2 key and it is now too late to re-balance it in a way that would work for every tank and player.

5.Spotting Mechanics- I disagree with most of what you say and you clearly never read the wiki about it.

6.Being a new player- I cannot tell you how much better the tutorials have become than when I started in 2011 and there was NONE.

7.Player Performance- No. Games online are divided into PvP and PvE. Most PvP gamers care about stats. If you do not care about stats then play PvE. As an example of the problems where a game has a PvP mode and a PvE mode see a game called EVE.

8.Player attitudes- World of Tanks is probably less toxic than a few other online games that I have played.

9.Map pinging- Please just put a damn limit on it. Agreed. I use a mod to limit it. But it should be in the client.

1- Good news I guess.

2- Interesting ideas, ought to be tested, opportunity to create new mechanics.

4- if you're referring to War Thunder yeah... they have gone overboard. No need to have 50 types of shells, just add a few and make it more flexible. Or limit the amount of gold a player can carry.

5- I have read the wiki, having read the wiki has not prevented tanks from disappearing from my sights while being in an open field. Sorry.

6- Sure, I can imagine, not a reason not to improve. I did intend to be constructive...

7- I know, what I am referring to is the importance you the players give to it. Read it again, or maybe I need to explain myself better. A "no" answer doesn't make much sense. Are you saying, "NO, don't enjoy the game"? ;)

8- Sure, I take your word for it and take my word that there are also gamer communities with almost no toxic players. Still not a reason not to call out some people's behaviours. I've seen this on the forum very often, you have to stop finding excuses for behaviour that is clearly bad for the other players and those who have that behaviour.

9- Wish I had found that mod... some people drove me nuts.

Ajunk #9 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:34 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3824 battles

View PostDaniulSims, on 05 May 2020 - 07:56 PM, said:

I will only address the Wheeled Vehicle part as the rest of it is honestly neither here nor there for me and are all rather subjective topics:

A plethora of wheeled vehicles in real life have the game's equivalent of ground resistances (that is, pressure applied to the ground) equal to that of several WWII tanks in everything but the softest of terrains; the reason tracks are used is for the prospect of adding more weight through the chassis while maintaining respectable mobility stats, or towing. Both things wheels become increasingly worse at as the weight increases. What changes for most of them is engine power, in which in the game only the Panhard AMD is really over represented (that thing had something like a 100 hp engine IRL).

As for the soft ground resistances, trust me, they're horrid to go into, say, Lakeville 1-2 line's swamp with.

Sorry but, driving off-road at 100kph is suicide. On any kind of terrain. The IRL capability isn't really the issue anyway, they're just not fun to play against.

DeBanus #10 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:39 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30290 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

View PostAjunk, on 05 May 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

Not bothered by the MM. I've had enough high caliber medals as low tier not to be bothered. Sorry to brag... Also sorry that it frustrates you, it does bother a lot of people and should probably be tweaked.

Maybe I get really unlucky with my top tier players. In general I don't like to be depended on other people to put their weight in the game.

Besides that, with 180.000~ people online during noon/evening-time, there is absolutly no need for -/+ 2MM whatsoever.

Noivilbo #11 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:50 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15414 battles

View PostDeBanus, on 05 May 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

Maybe I get really unlucky with my top tier players. In general I don't like to be depended on other people to put their weight in the game.

Besides that, with 180.000~ people online during noon/evening-time, there is absolutly no need for -/+ 2MM whatsoever.

You don't get unlucky mate, 90% of the people playing randoms are <600WN8 and they have all tiers, even tier X. You can't report them, you can't do anything. You just either carry them or you just lose...

Their idea is that "sometimes you get them, sometimes the other team gets them so it balances out". Although when you get them, you just hate the game and most of the times you don't get them it's a 3-4 min 15-0 games.. 

Truly enjoyable games let me tell you :trollface:

Edited by Noivilbo, 05 May 2020 - 08:51 PM.

wsatnutter #12 Posted 05 May 2020 - 08:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27414 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

good to see you find the forums

if you want to keep your sanity don't join [wsat] join thee dingers

you must be able to draw a fish  for application once a dinger they will show you the magic 2 button

also join the forumites channel in garage

password is ---- play4fun

in a decent toon the game is fun fun fun

kind regards

[wsat]Nutter

a part time  Dinger

DaniulSims #13 Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11471 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View PostAjunk, on 05 May 2020 - 09:34 PM, said:

Sorry but, driving off-road at 100kph is suicide. On any kind of terrain. The IRL capability isn't really the issue anyway, they're just not fun to play against.

If we're to speak off road characteristics, none of the tanks in game should be able to reach their top speed off road, some wouldn't even be able to reach half of their top speed.

As for them not being fun, that remains subjective. I still greatly prefer playing against an EBR than against arty, a weakspot-less heavy/TD on 80% of the map or a TD who's traveled 50 meters from base to an OP base camping position, all things WG has said they've implemented to help "players with a certain skill level'.

mpf1959 #14 Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 36480 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

Game Feedback after 5 months of playing

Just what I needed! Well actually I didn't read it, but I bet it was great and just what I needed! :deer:

shikaka9 #15 Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 78462 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
this the first who likes everything in this game

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users