How are server numbers these days across the globe?

numbers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

kaneAAA #1 Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44064 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP
Just interested to know how numbers are in this game at the moment and if there is any overall trend as to the number and quality of the player base? Anyone got the figures? I myself and all my friends have lost interest for the most part and tend to roll our eyes playing the game now (we were big players/spenders in the past). We can only play in short bursts before a sense of tedium creeps into us and we then move onto other games which are actually exciting and fun. Is this purely subjective or is this an indication of the decaying state of the game...

Edited by kaneAAA, 06 May 2020 - 12:46 PM.

jack_timber #2 Posted 06 May 2020 - 01:34 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 44609 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Noticed last night there were some 194k players at one point, lockdown has certainly boosted the numbers.

Private_Miros #3 Posted 06 May 2020 - 02:16 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28747 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostkaneAAA, on 06 May 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

Just interested to know how numbers are in this game at the moment and if there is any overall trend as to the number and quality of the player base? Anyone got the figures? I myself and all my friends have lost interest for the most part and tend to roll our eyes playing the game now (we were big players/spenders in the past). We can only play in short bursts before a sense of tedium creeps into us and we then move onto other games which are actually exciting and fun. Is this purely subjective or is this an indication of the decaying state of the game...

Tedium tends to creep upon you whenever you do repetitive activities. And playing this game is repetitive in the end.

So, I'm guessing mainly subjective.

The game has issues, but frankly it always had. The game is still fun despite that, unless you're simply tired of it, which after that many hours, days, weeks, months of pure playing time, is quite expected. Always good to take break and try something else then.

Bordhaw #4 Posted 06 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 16132 battles

The same trends show year on year. I.e. increase into December and gradual drop coming into the January / February time. However, whilst this pattern has remained, overall the numbers reduce year on year. 

WhoCares01 #5 Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29602 battles

View PostBordhaw, on 06 May 2020 - 08:16 PM, said:

The same trends show year on year. I.e. increase into December and gradual drop coming into the January / February time. However, whilst this pattern has remained, overall the numbers reduce year on year. 

However, looking at the number of battles played, the numbers seem to be significantly up, by about 50% or more compared to the same time last year.

https://wot-news.com/stat/server/eu/norm/en

(see graph at the bottom, remove all other game modes but random for a better ivew of the graph))

CmdRatScabies #6 Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:37 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 39034 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

https://wgstatus.com/#/en/wot

Only short term but bang up to date and shows all regions and individual servers.

09:41 Added after 4 minute

View PostWhoCares01, on 07 May 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

However, looking at the number of battles played, the numbers seem to be significantly up, by about 50% or more compared to the same time last year.

https://wot-news.com/stat/server/eu/norm/en

(see graph at the bottom, remove all other game modes but random for a better ivew of the graph))

Numbers are probably double what you'd expect in a normal year thanks to lock-down - EU is getting 180k+ players at peak this week which is Xmas numbers.  Be interesting to see if WoT retains any of these new / returning players.

arthurwellsley #7 Posted 07 May 2020 - 10:56 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55914 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Covid 19 has had a huge impact.

Normally there is a peak each Christmas which falls off towards the summer with a slight but steady decline over the years.

Christmas/New Year 2017/2018 = 1,036,477

Christmas/New year 2018/2019 = 982,276

Christmas/New Year 2019/2020 = 972,178

12th April 2020 = 940,186

15th April 2019 = 754,751

2nd April 2018 (there was a peak here this year, not sure why, cold wet Easter?) = 982,782

10th April 2017 = 979,900

So compared to this time 2019 World of Tanks has an extra 185,435 players on the two EU servers compared to a similar week the previous year.

In countries where lock down continues will the numbers go up?

In countries where lock down eases will the numbers fall?

Will War Gaming be able to retain any of those players over the longer term?

The increase from April 2019 to April 2020 is about 24% for World of Tanks. How does that compare to other old online games who will also probably have gained or regained old players during lock down. Games such as EVE or World of Warcraft.

But as at 11am this morning there are 78,171 players online over the EU servers.

In comparison at this time there are 347,982 players online across all the RU servers. Which gives you an idea of why War Gaming tends to ignore voices on the EU forums and listens more carefully to what the players on the RU forums say.

Edited by arthurwellsley, 07 May 2020 - 11:01 AM.

Cobra6 #8 Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16624 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 06 May 2020 - 01:16 PM, said:

Tedium tends to creep upon you whenever you do repetitive activities. And playing this game is repetitive in the end.

So, I'm guessing mainly subjective.

Is it really though? How can you explain people actively playing a game for 4-6 years with great joy and then getting fed up with it at a rapid pace? That should not happen unless an external factor, say bad direction of development/balancing, causes it.

Thing is, I recognise *EXACTLY* what kaneAAA says in myself and my close friends that have played this game very actively in the past.

We haven't changed and our interests haven't changed, WoT has. It's become a much shallower experience then it used to be gameplay wise which indeed makes it repetitive.

Cobra 6

Element6 #9 Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 33475 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostCobra6, on 07 May 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

Is it really though? How can you explain people actively playing a game for 4-6 years with great joy and then getting fed up with it at a rapid pace? That should not happen unless an external factor, say bad direction of development/balancing, causes it.

Thing is, I recognise *EXACTLY* what kaneAAA says in myself and my close friends that have played this game very actively in the past.

We haven't changed and our interests haven't changed, WoT has. It's become a much shallower experience then it used to be gameplay wise which indeed makes it repetitive.

Cobra 6

Not neccessarily. You could be playing the game for years with multiple long-term goals, for example 3-marking, T10 collecting/completion of tech-trees, stats improvement, CW campaigns and reward tank campaigns (260, 279e). Once you start completing some of these goals there will be less variety in your reasons to play, making you spend more time on fewer things, which can increase the feeling of tediousness, which in turn can rapidly reduce your feelings of joy.

Edited by Element6, 07 May 2020 - 11:42 AM.

Slyspy #10 Posted 07 May 2020 - 11:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15301 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Why not? How many other pastimes have you spent your free time on for a decade but managed to maintain the same enthusiasm? 

shikaka9 #11 Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 78403 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
these are fake, corona rigged numbers

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35797 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostSlyspy, on 07 May 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

Why not? How many other pastimes have you spent your free time on for a decade but managed to maintain the same enthusiasm? 

I can think of at least one that never palls ;)

Homer_J #13 Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Field Marshal

• 33857 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I see it happen in other areas of life.

People live in one house for years then suddenly move, people do one job happily for years then suddenly decide they want to change, people will be with a partner for years and suddenly split up through no single thing.

It seems some people are either completely happy or completely unhappy and there is no gradual move from one side to the other.

Not everyone but enough to call it "common".

jabster #14 Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12836 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostSlyspy, on 07 May 2020 - 10:48 AM, said:

Discounting the honeymoon period just one, oh and it's not WoT.

Balc0ra #15 Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77203 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Cobra 6

People leave for 4 things. Either because the changes are bad, and the game is not what it they originally liked about it anymore. Or the lack of the right kind of change to make the game what they want it to be. Or because it is the same old all the time.

Or... as with most games that gets older. They still like it, but just wanted something different. Interest change or not. As one of my all time fav MMO's just had their 10 year aniversary. I still love the game. But still has not played it activly the last 3 years, vs dipping in now and then. As most games after 6+ years will be shallower even tho you like it. Thus a bigger change is needed to keep you going back vs the first 3 people. Either way, it's not easy to mix all 4 up well enough to prevent a dip after almost 8 to 10 years for most regardless.

Miepie #16 Posted 07 May 2020 - 04:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 6130 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postarthurwellsley, on 07 May 2020 - 10:56 AM, said:

2nd April 2018 (there was a peak here this year, not sure why, cold wet Easter?) = 982,782

I started playing in may 2018 and version 1.0-with-the-fancy-graphics and the Italian tanks were both new then; could have been the reason for the peak.

Also tagged with numbers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users