AMX 40 matchmaking rant

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

dawdler #21 Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6164 battles
I just got the AMX40 thinking that at least the first dozen rounds should be fine with the noobie MM system to allow me to get the 75mm.

I ended up third last and the first tank I meet is a KV-3 - which is WAY faster than me. <_<

I really think WG did this all on purpose. And why not? A bunch of bad tanks with shitty guns = a bunch of people willing to toss their money at WG to get rid of them fast rather than playing them. The whole purpose of French tanks is to annoy the **** out of you.

Homer_J #22 Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30786 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostSilvar, on 07 January 2012 - 01:37 PM, said:

I have not yet gotten AMX 40 to go in fight that would have been below tier 6 games so i think it is somehow bugged.

I guess I've been lucky, I have not seen anything over tier 5 with mine except when I platooned with two tier 5 mediums.

Chimera #23 Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:57 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 23197 battles
The AMX-40 shouldn't face anything stronger than tier 6. It can't scout, it certainly won't bounce shots from tiers 7 and 8 and its gun is useless against those tiers. Placing them against tiers 7 and 8 wasn't a good move by WarGamming and it only shows that the 7.1 test wasn't done properly.

Meglodon #24 Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29818 battles
main issue for me with the tank is its speed.
Its so slow you cant even keep up with the rest of your team. So you get everywhere late and the enemy will always be in position before you. You armor is basically useless as most t4 tanks can penetrate you from the front anyways.  The ones that cant penetrate your front can easily flank you and penetrate your sides. the upgraded turret is a joke as it puts a big ass weakspot on top of your tank. Im really struggeling to see how this tank is suposed to be played. It cant snipe, it cant scout it cant brawl, its hands down the worst T4 light tank.

wingsofwrath #25 Posted 08 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14606 battles
I'm a bit ambivalent over this tank. Sure it was pretty bad, as noted by others you can't get past 20km/h on even terrain, the gun won't penetrate even Leopard front armour, the turret won't track fast enough to follow a moving tank and you usually get one shotted by the KVs, t29s and other miscellaneous tier 7s you're pitted against, but I'm not at all sorry I went up the French MM tree rather than the heavy, because it certainly had it's moments.

For instance, yesterday (in fact early this morning, at about 2AM) I got into a point blank fight with another AMX40, one B1 and a Pzkpv B2(f). The B1 is supposed to be a tier 4 heavy, but you can kill it stone dead in two-three shots, depending on where you aim (top of turret, sides and rear)... Long story short, I let them all try and shoot me while I carefully and methodically raped the two B1s before reverting my attention to the AMX. In AMX 40 versus matches, besides the aforementioned top of turret and turret ventilator, another weak spot are the vision blocks for the driver and it will take you two aimed shots to get him down to single digits in terms of health. Unfortunately for me, I did get a shot through, but before I could shoot a second time, an enemy Grille decided I looked appetizing and blew me to bits. Bloody shame too, since up to that point I had withstood 34 hits and I was guaranteed a "Steel Wall".

Anyway, I'm now driving an AMX 12t, and despite all the bad press, I actually like it a lot better, because it plays right up my alley in terms of tactics (static scout, ambush, evade). I did get a nasty surprise in terms of gun elevation though (when an AMX 40 blew me to bits because I couldn't get to aim high enough), so be mindful of that.

Homer_J #26 Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30786 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostChimera, on 08 January 2012 - 12:57 PM, said:

The AMX-40 shouldn't face anything stronger than tier 6. It can't scout, it certainly won't bounce shots from tiers 7 and 8 and its gun is useless against those tiers. Placing them against tiers 7 and 8 wasn't a good move by WarGamming and it only shows that the 7.1 test wasn't done properly.

The matchmaker does not put it against tier 8 and very rarely against tier 7.

wingsofwrath #27 Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14606 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 08 January 2012 - 02:10 PM, said:

Theoretically. I've seen more T29s in this vehicle than I've seen Pz IIIs. Of course, most of the fighting was indeed at tiers IV-V, but even then there's not a lot you can do - you can't penetrate the frontal armour of most tanks your size (Hetzer, Leopard, T50, A20, etc.) and I once plonked the ass of a KV1 for a good five minutes at point blank range (he was busy at the time) without getting any penetrating hits before he leisurely turned that turret around and tore me a new one... (and this was with the Kv1 turret and 76mm gun, not the Kv2/107)

Homer_J #28 Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30786 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postwingsofwrath, on 08 January 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Theoretically. I've seen more T29s in this vehicle than I've seen Pz IIIs. Of course, most of the fighting was indeed at tiers IV-V, but even then there's not a lot you can do - you can't penetrate the frontal armour of most tanks your size (Hetzer, Leopard, T50, A20, etc.) and I once plonked the ass of a KV1 for a good five minutes at point blank range (he was busy at the time) without getting any penetrating hits before he leisurely turned that turret around and tore me a new one... (and this was with the Kv1 turret and 76mm gun, not the Kv2/107)

I guess I've just been lucky, even managed 8 kills in one round.  Most of my opponents seems to be other tier 3 and 4 French tanks.

Chimera #29 Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:36 PM

Private

• Beta Tester
  • 23197 battles

I think I've faced tiers 8, but even if it doesn't.. that doesn't invalidate the fact that it shouldn't face tier 7s, does it?
Plus, maybe I'm just unlucky or you very lucky, but I face tiers 7 every 3 matches.
And I'm not saying the tank is bad, it's just wrong. I've been several times top gun, steel wall etc. I've even hold myself against 5 or 6 guys, no kidding, and all they did was bounce shells. This tank is a beast when it is top tier but it does nothing when it is on the bottom of the chart. Making us face tiers 7 when we are just wasting our time pretending we can do anything against t29 or IS isn't something that should be done to compensate the matches we have when we are top tiers.
And even at tier 5. Try to do something against a KV that's trying to destroy you. Once he turns his front at you, you can't do anything. You can't ding bullets from him, you can't run away from him, you can't damage him. And that's at tier 5..

azakow #30 Posted 08 January 2012 - 05:33 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 79243 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 06 January 2012 - 04:50 PM, said:

It has it's own exclusion from the matchmaking which puts it on par with a tier 4 medium.  See the bottom chart.

Posted Image

Assuming this to be correct, then the MM of the AMX 40 is already diffrent from the LT 4 of other nations.
IMO, the OP rant does not seem to justified at all.

I agree that a comparison with Leopard might be a wrong aproach (apples and peaches), but still is a LT 4.
Substituting the Leopard with the M5 will proably deliver as much negative reps again. :(

TBTSan #31 Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:26 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39481 battles
AMX40 top gun is of tier3 (others are tier2).
I have no idea what to do in 6-7 tier battles unless sit in bush because of lack of speed.

By the way, Leo, has tier3 gun too (with less penetration 67 vs 74).

Otrorto #32 Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 7806 battles

View PostTBTSan, on 14 January 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

AMX40 top gun is of tier3 (others are tier2).
I have no idea what to do in 6-7 tier battles unless sit in bush because of lack of speed.

By the way, Leo, has tier3 gun too (with less penetration 67 vs 74).

You can do this: Load HE shells and pray for ur teamates to do the work while u try to deal some damage "sniping" with that innacurate gun http://forum.worldof...e_veryhappy.gif

Actually, im laughing, but thats what i had to suffer too http://forum.worldof...mile_blinky.gif

Cause when u are matched with ur tier u rock, i decided to keep it for now, and lets see if i can find the funny part of the tank, but im pretty sure i will sell it soon http://forum.worldof...mile-hiding.gif

ciscoasa #33 Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31656 battles
  • [SSRF] SSRF

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:    

nice joke
8/10 in top i have tier 7

Elmarby #34 Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:00 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13047 battles
This is just about the suckiest tank I've ever driven in WoT. Stock you could be top tier and still be next to useless. Slow and undergunned you have no chance at all.
And even fully upgraded Tier 5s will barely notice you as they brush you aside. The 75 is weak on damage and penetration and loads ridiculously slow.

It is not even balanced against most of its tiermates and faces above tier ridiculously often. Had several matches where I could not hope to hurt the entire top half of enemy team even if they reversed towards me. What's the point of that?

This waste of time rustbucket needs to be entirely overhauled.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users