xvm solo platoon

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

samuelx43a #1 Posted 11 May 2020 - 09:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30137 battles
  • [NEURO] NEURO

... In how much can a platoon influence your win rate?

I was wondering because while talking about stats with friends joking that they boost my win rate by quite a lot made me think.

How much does being in a platoon influence your win rate?

Is it possible to calculate your "solo" win rate?

For example, these are mine:

Spoiler

Maybe my solo win rate is a couple % lower, or my wn8 is higher than it should be, or it is decently balanced.

This post by the way is not meant for me to whine about stats at all, its just something that made me interested!

May you whoever reads this post get the best of RNG and does not meet the final boss known as soap rocks!

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 10905 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Platooning can have a very big impact on your winrate.

Particularly if you're somewhat decent yourself, and platoon with 1-2 others who are also somewhat decent.

Since that way, you're basically ensuring that you got 2-3 decent players on your team, and are thus a kind of force multiplier.

As for calculating solo winrate...

Well, if you can find out how many battles you've played in a platoon, then you should know how many battles you did without.

And then you'll also need to know how many of those battles were won, lost, draws...

Edited by Nishi_Kinuyo, 11 May 2020 - 10:13 PM.

Private_Miros #3 Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28919 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Only if you note down your stats (in this case for this thread, that should get a 750 game update when I feel like it).

In my case, after 759 battles: solo 346 games for 55.5% (2534 unweighted WN8); platooned 413 games for 70.2% (2462 unweighted WN8).

But, even that needs to be seen in context. I recently platooned a lot with a friend grinding his marks on a SMM tier 5 tank. So that skews the result immensely. While solo I have only played tier 6 and up (bar one game).

If we only look at tier 8, we see still an advantage for platooned obviously, but less marked: 54.4% vs 65%.

WN8 is better when solo though across the board.

Last time I did such an experiment (in 2015 if I recall), the difference was less, but I was also a better solo player back then (3,5 year break does make you lose your touch a bit).

Edited by Private_Miros, 12 May 2020 - 11:53 AM.

VsUK #4 Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:05 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles

Platoon's increase your ability to win a lot. 3 tanks with voip coms working together can often carry the whole team. My win rate used to be in the 60's when I used to platoon up in a 3 some. But I'm a very busy guy & the little free time I have, I often find myself sat on my PC doing some other type of work. I think I manage about an hour tops per day, sometimes 3 or 4 hours a week to play. So finding people to platoon up with when I'm free to play is difficult, so I just don't bother trying anymore. I play solo & just enjoy the challenges it brings. 

But some people take this game way too seriously!

Desyatnik_Pansy #5 Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:17 AM

Bartender

• 19414 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostVsUK, on 12 May 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

Platoon's increase your ability to win a lot. 3 tanks with voip coms working together can often carry the whole team. My win rate used to be in the 60's when I used to platoon up in a 3 some.

I dunno how much I believe that if I'm honest, depends really on the skill level of each player (if you were around the same skill level, a 51% -> 60% Seems like just a drastic jump unless we're only looking at small samples).

drakkanax #6 Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16718 battles

Competent platoon especially when the players know each other well and trust themselves can be very effective. basically 3 players can replace 6-7-8 in many situations.In many games this is enough to turn the game. They do lower risk because they can depend on each other. It doesn't always work and if the rest of your team team dies within first 2min there isn't too much you can usually do.

Incompetent platoons are often detrimental, because one player makes a mistake and then other repeats it or goes to sacrifice themselves for the first one.. double the risk, none of the rewards.

In-game platoons are not platoons. They don't matter.

Cobra6 #7 Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16624 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Postsamuelx43a, on 11 May 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

... In how much can a platoon influence your win rate?

Well, the positive influence of playing in a platoon (coordination) is largely stomped into the ground because the matchmaker discriminates actively against platoons. It will put platoons mostly in bottom tiers artificially handicapping your ability to carry in a coordinated fashion as you are mostly playing the underdog.

If MM was truly balanced and platoons would get the same MM as random players (since platoons are now equal on both teams) then platooning would have a positive effect both in winrate and enjoyment of the game. A bit like it was the 5-6 years before they ruined platoon MM like this.

Thing is, this MM rule was implemented because at the time the MM did not equalise platoons yet and thus the team with the most platoons had an advantage. As a stopgap measure WG then started to lump platoons in the bottom (which is why lots of my friends left since platooning, as a good player, just felt like you were actively being punished for trying to play with friends).

Then they introduced the template MM which equalised platoons removing the need to lump platoons in the bottom, but they forgot to take that rule out.

There are still people having fun platooning of course and props to them for not caring about being actively punished or about their performance, but that does not mean that it isn't an issue.

Cobra 6

LittleLara #8 Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 54841 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
When I platoon my winrate goes up about 10-25% I usually platoon with people around my skill level tho.

Also tagged with xvm, solo, platoon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users