• This topic is locked This topic is locked
98 replies to this topic

kubawt112 #81 Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

There's a reason it's a forum-only thing to let others know where you're from.

It's where you're from, not your nationality though. You link the location to defining someone's nationality. That seems a very naive view of the world to me. If you wanted to specify your nationality you could have done it in the free text box.

View PostKarasu_Hidesuke, on 17 May 2020 - 01:39 PM, said:

What, you think I put it up there because I'm supposed to feel proud of it? Supposed to defend it? I put it there because it's an option

The option to define your location, not your nationality.

NekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

I don't care where anyone's from, and neither should you.

If you don't care why did you fill in the option? Also, what right have you to tell me whether I care or not? Who gives you the right to dictate to me? I might care for any number of reasons relevant to the game.

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 12:58 PM, said:

It's not something to be used as a means of being toxic to one another, but more as a way to, you know, relate with others or talk about relevant things... It's a forum, a place to talk. It's not a specific place on Earth, it's the internet, it's supposed to be a neutral ground (though admittedly it gets just as bad anyway).

If it's meant to be neutral why did you bring nationalistic comments into the conversation by telling everyone you're Croatian then? That piece of information was irrelevant to the issue.  The question posed was 'if you're from Turkey', and you could have chosen to ignore it or confirm you're not from Turkey. You volunteered information that you're Croatian and then claimed it states it on your profile, which is doesn't. That does not appear to be an attempt to keep it neutral to me. If someone was from Krajina, then it might trigger them to see someone indicate they're from Croatia. Surely to keep things more neutral it would be better not to indicate where you're from and just state the languages you can speak?

rimmer_the #82 Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 3911 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T

View Postkubawt112, on 17 May 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

It's where you're from, not your nationality though. You link the location to defining someone's nationality. That seems a very naive view of the world to me. If you wanted to specify your nationality you could have done it in the free text box.

The option to define your location, not your nationality.

If you don't care why did you fill in the option? Also, what right have you to tell me whether I care or not? Who gives you the right to dictate to me? I might care for any number of reasons relevant to the game.

If it's meant to be neutral why did you bring nationalistic comments into the conversation by telling everyone you're Croatian then? That piece of information was irrelevant to the issue.  The question posed was 'if you're from Turkey', and you could have chosen to ignore it or confirm you're not from Turkey. You volunteered information that you're Croatian and then claimed it states it on your profile, which is doesn't. That does not appear to be an attempt to keep it neutral to me. If someone was from Krajina, then it might trigger them to see someone indicate they're from Croatia. Surely to keep things more neutral it would be better not to indicate where you're from and just state the languages you can speak?

That's a stupid suggestion as people are likely to state their mother tongue first, and so you virtually always see what country they are from, unless the first language is English. 

OofBerry #83 Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 23821 battles

No.It is very rare you actually get your game disturbed because of your nick (talking about blocking etc. Chat messages dont count.)

But, the anonymizer having nationalities makes it much more immersive as it would probably have a worse impact if anonomyizer names stood out more as people might block anonomyizer users because their hiding their stats etc.

kubawt112 #84 Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View Postrimmer_the, on 17 May 2020 - 03:13 PM, said:

That's a stupid suggestion as people are likely to state their mother tongue first, and so you virtually always see what country they are from, unless the first language is English. 

It's the English speaking forum so it's logical for them to state that's the language they speak first. Nationality has nothing to do with it. On the English speaking forum if they were to state they spoke English, Norwegian, Finnish and Swedish then which nationality would you say they were?

Edited by kubawt112, 17 May 2020 - 03:23 PM.

NekoPuffer_PPP #85 Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38373 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postkubawt112, on 17 May 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

If it's meant to be neutral why did you bring nationalistic comments into the conversation by telling everyone you're Croatian then? That piece of information was irrelevant to the issue.

That piece of information, I stated because the user who said "if you're from Turkey" wouldn't have had to assume so if they had simply checked if I had a country selected on my profile. A subtle way of telling someone how to check...

But you just LOVE to swing that situation around, make it sound like I'm an egotistical maniac who cares about this crap, just to make me look bad, just so you can feel better. You have problems.

The "location" can also be treated as the person's nationality, depending on how you look at it...but you look at it in a way that supports your accusations.

kubawt112 #86 Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 04:00 PM, said:

That piece of information, I stated because the user who said "if you're from Turkey" wouldn't have had to assume so if they had simply checked if I had a country selected on my profile. A subtle way of telling someone how to check...

It tells them your location not your nationality. That information is not on your profile. You volunteered that information.

Assuming someone's nationality from their location is very problematic and can lead to exclusionary behavior.

But you just LOVE to swing that situation around, make it sound like I'm an egotistical maniac who cares about this crap

However you view yourself is a matter for you, but it is a fact that you opened the thread.

You have problems.

I don't think targeted, personal attacks support your argument that you take a stand against targeted, personal attacks.

The "location" can also be treated as the person's nationality, depending on how you look at it..

A location is a geographical definition. It can never be someone's nationality. Does it say location on your passport anywhere?

Many war crimes have been committed by people assuming someone's location defined their nationality.

VsUK #87 Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles
I don't see why this should be a feature really considering that a name is an identity & if you don't want to be associated in game by your forum or your forum by your in game, then you should ask yourself why. 

Also, anonymizer makes it more difficult to report players when their in game name constantly changes. Unless WG keep records of the different names given each game to a player?

NekoPuffer_PPP #88 Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38373 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postkubawt112, on 17 May 2020 - 04:12 PM, said:

You have problems.

I don't think targeted, personal attacks support your argument that you take a stand against targeted, personal attacks.

If you see that as a personal attack, you really do have problems.

kubawt112 #89 Posted 17 May 2020 - 04:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 04:31 PM, said:

If you see that as a personal attack, you really do have problems.

Why should you dictate my level of sensitivity? I would ask you to respect my boundaries and accept that when you refer to me as having problems, I perceive that as a personal attack. I would hope many others also perceive that as a comment directed at me. Otherwise you would have not said YOU have problems.  Perhaps an apology and a comment indicating that you didn't mean it to be taken personally when you said I had problems?

Unless you do mean for me to take it personally of course?

Karasu_Hidesuke #90 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 17659 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View PostVsUK, on 17 May 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

Also, anonymizer makes it more difficult to report players when their in game name constantly changes.

Curious why this should be relevant?....

xtrem3x #91 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 38679 battles
  • [_N0D_] _N0D_

Why has this thread gone on so long?

Somebody was pushed out of a bush and called a name... So what? Why all the fuss?

kubawt112 #92 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:20 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostKarasu_Hidesuke, on 17 May 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Curious why this should be relevant?....

Some people may have extensive experience with how the anonymizer affects the chance of getting banned.

I doubt it matters much, though. If someone violates your, well, 'engine deck' by pushing on it, and you are upset about it - you'd find yourself creating a forum post complaining about the reasons why it happened ticket to support that is more thanunlikely to send someone to the realms of a permanent ban.

View Postxtrem3x, on 17 May 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Somebody was pushed out of a bush and called a name... So what? Why all the fuss?

Wargaming mentioned that most players don't even open up the settings menu; perhaps OP is among those players? As for being pushed out of the bush, I refer to my above statement about in-game tickets.

VsUK #93 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15370 battles

View Postkubawt112, on 17 May 2020 - 04:20 PM, said:

Wargaming mentioned that most players don't even open up the settings menu; perhaps OP is among those players? As for being pushed out of the bush, I refer to my above statement about in-game tickets.

In game tickets are a novelty. They do nothing & I'm yet to see any proof they actually do anything. 

_LongRangeSniper_ #94 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 42400 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostVsUK, on 17 May 2020 - 04:22 PM, said:

In game tickets are a novelty. They do nothing & I'm yet to see any the proof they actually do anything. 

FTFY

kubawt112 #95 Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostVsUK, on 17 May 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

In game tickets are a novelty. They do nothing & I'm yet to see any proof they actually do anything. 

My apologies, I did not mean 'in-game', but rather creating an actual ticket. If anything, the anonymizer would be likely to reduce 'targeted' reports, whether it is based upon your nickname, stats, or clan. You are of course right that in-game reports are not worth much - alone. If you were to violate the game rules in every single game, however, I think you'll soon see that something is bound to happen.

Anyway, kinda curious seeing your stance regarding the anonymizer - do you use it yourself? :)

NekoPuffer_PPP #96 Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38373 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postkubawt112, on 17 May 2020 - 05:20 PM, said:

View Postxtrem3x, on 17 May 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Wargaming mentioned that most players don't even open up the settings menu; perhaps OP is among those players?

Having a hard time figuring out what connects this question and that response.

@xtrem3x This thread has gone on so long because of people misinterpreting the intention of my thread and then whining about it, all the while calling me the whiner. Absolutely ridiculous, innit?

Mods can close it at any time, it's already gone way off the deep end.

kubawt112 #97 Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3378 battles
  • [-UM] -UM

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

If reading what others say is emotionally troubling you can stop reading it.

That's probably wise before you tell more people what they can think, what they can say, and if they take alternative views, that they have problems. From white knight to black bishop in one thread, and one that appears unabashed :girl:

LethalWalou #98 Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 37076 battles

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 17 May 2020 - 08:29 PM, said:

I'd like to repeat my friendly tip from earlier. This is just the same thing as then. 

Homer_J #99 Posted 18 May 2020 - 01:16 PM

Field Marshal

• 34160 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

My pleasure.

Also tagged with Anonymizer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users