Can we get a meaningful buff to old tier 8 premiums?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Wankelschrauben #1 Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:49 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16387 battles
  • [5REST] 5REST

A few years ago I posted a thread titled buff the premiums, this was in response to game changes that literally crippled certain premium tanks. Since then the game has changed and there are definitely some very competitive premium tanks. That post had a lot of criticism from the free to play community but ultimately what I stated in that post (that premium tank buyers and premium accounts are funding the free to play community and those players should be rewarded with competitive premium vehicles rather than the under-powered options) actually came to pass.

WG have addressed some of the old premiums, the Lowe for example, which is a mighty fine tank right now and does exactly what a premium should do, a competitive credit earner and crew trainer, it has a great 3D skin too.

I feel that the Type 59 and KV5 both require the same treatment to make them competitive. I believe this can be achieved on both with improved gun depression, improved gun mantle armour and reduced ground resistance... bear in mind the KV5's acceleration was drastically reduced when the physics engine was introduced. I believe a buff in these categories would be a meaningful buff to make them competitive in today's game.

Of course I'd love to see some extra pen on the premium rounds for both tanks (the standard pen is fine) and some extra alpha damage on the HE rounds bringing them inline with other tanks with a similar gun calibre but I think that would be asking too much, oh and a decent skin would also be nice...

Spurtung #2 Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:34 AM

General

• Player
  • 80615 battles

Can we? Sure.

Will we? Doubtful.

Simply put, they prefer to keep pushing more and more "content". It's been working for them, economically speaking, to gradually nerf old things by making new things better. One day the cow will dry out, and they'll just pull the plug. If you really think they will ever balance this game for its own sake, you are in for a very bad ride. They've gone too far up this road and right now it's both too hard to take on that project as it is unprofitable.

WG's in it for the money, nothing else.

wsatnutter #3 Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27401 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

I agree OP but it wont happen m8

WG not interested in balance

TheMaroko1337 #4 Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:48 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16408 battles
they only serve now as a trade for "better" premium tanks

gunslingerXXX #5 Posted 20 May 2020 - 06:58 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 14780 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Well KV-5 (RHASSA) and the type 59 (not sure if need it, but I think this will be the blow-out sell before they go down) both have a chance.

Personally I would like my CDC to have a fighting chance agains the OP beasts such as the T34-85M

Blubba #6 Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:46 AM

Major

• Player
  • 63999 battles

Things like the T34 rof and gun handling, CDC gun handling, tumour on the Type 59_Patton/VK16801, gun traverse of M56, Pz58 mobility, preferential MM of A45, turret armour on FV4202 to name but a few.

I personally think there's plenty of candidates in the FTP arena too but if it's a revenue stream WG are looking for, premiums that players see performing on the battlefield are a far better advert than under performing ones or not performing at all vehicles.

falcon_96 #7 Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27238 battles
Question. If you are still happy with your old premium heavy you bought for farming 5 years ago... Will you buy the new shiny premium heavy that just popped up in the prem shop? Unless the new tank has some gimmick you like that is rather unlikely, so WG just leaves old premiums in the dirt and introduces new stuff better balanced for the current meta, thus stimulating new purchases.
For example the AMX CDC was a perfectly fine medium when i bought it back in 2015, now it is a pile of trash.
WG did promise to rebalance old premiums... after the "New balance" and the ammo changes it would bring, however as we know, the "new balance" crashed and burned(sometimes i think they introduced the retarded HE change that nobody wanted just so they can have an excuse to further delay the ammo changes), thus i'm afraid we will not see any changes on old prems this or perhaps even next year too.

TankkiPoju #8 Posted 20 May 2020 - 07:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25869 battles

Type 59 is still pretty darn good, but requires too much premium ammo to really work so it doesnt make much credits anymore.

Unfortunately WG makes money from selling new premiums, so why would they buff old ones.

Gwynbleidd11 #9 Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18295 battles
I bought Type 59 around 8 years ago and it's still awesome to play. Earns lots of credits and doesn't need premium ammo at all (stop ruining the game by using it!).

TankkiPoju #10 Posted 20 May 2020 - 10:59 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25869 battles

View PostGwynbleidd11, on 20 May 2020 - 10:20 AM, said:

I bought Type 59 around 8 years ago and it's still awesome to play. Earns lots of credits and doesn't need premium ammo at all (stop ruining the game by using it!).

Well you can keep your 52% winrate Type 59, and I keep my 62% one.

_bitter_end_ #11 Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 64829 battles

View PostWankelschrauben, on 20 May 2020 - 02:49 AM, said:

A few years ago I posted a thread titled buff the premiums, this was in response to game changes that literally crippled certain premium tanks. Since then the game has changed and there are definitely some very competitive premium tanks. That post had a lot of criticism from the free to play community but ultimately what I stated in that post (that premium tank buyers and premium accounts are funding the free to play community and those players should be rewarded with competitive premium vehicles rather than the under-powered options) actually came to pass.

WG have addressed some of the old premiums, the Lowe for example, which is a mighty fine tank right now and does exactly what a premium should do, a competitive credit earner and crew trainer, it has a great 3D skin too.

I feel that the Type 59 and KV5 both require the same treatment to make them competitive. I believe this can be achieved on both with improved gun depression, improved gun mantle armour and reduced ground resistance... bear in mind the KV5's acceleration was drastically reduced when the physics engine was introduced. I believe a buff in these categories would be a meaningful buff to make them competitive in today's game.

Of course I'd love to see some extra pen on the premium rounds for both tanks (the standard pen is fine) and some extra alpha damage on the HE rounds bringing them inline with other tanks with a similar gun calibre but I think that would be asking too much, oh and a decent skin would also be nice...

They wont buff old premiums to be good, because you wont buy the new ones. :) To make the old premiums desirable again, they should buff them to be OP. And that wont happen. Well, i think, not until they dont run out of "new" tanks...

Edited by _bitter_end_, 20 May 2020 - 11:04 AM.

Noivilbo #12 Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15406 battles

View PostWankelschrauben, on 20 May 2020 - 04:49 AM, said:

Why buff the ones you already have and not make new ones that are better? While we are at it, nerf the old ones a bit as well.

It's called marketing mate, they don't want you to play the old ones because they aren't as good as the newer ones and they want you to buy the new ones

You can see it with almost every tank (premium or not) that's being released nowadays. 

Take the EBR for example. It's been out for more than a year so far and everyone knows it's OP and unbalanced. Did they nerf it? Not yet. Why? More people spend gold and money on premium accounts to level it up because everyone wants to whore on stats and with that one it's a walk in the park. 

It's a rinse and repeat process at this point. 

--> Get out something completely unbalanced

--> Let people spend their money to acquire it

--> People will cry out for a nerf hundreds of times but we'll ignore them since more people still want to play/buy it.

--> After it's made a considerable amount of money, nerf it or introduce something even more unbalanced so the focus shifts to the new content.

--> If you can't find a way to balance the tank because it takes too much brain power or whatever, you can always remove it completely (WT Auf E 100) or make it a "special tank" for those that already had it and remove it from the research tree.

Lee3452 #13 Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18267 battles
if they buffed them they would have to give people their money back. That's what all the experts on EU law here say. Or does that only apply to making them less OP. You can't have it both ways.

Edited by Lee3452, 20 May 2020 - 11:26 AM.

Uh_Oh_ #14 Posted 20 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3609 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Literally what Noivilbo says

TankkiPoju #15 Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 25869 battles

View PostNoivilbo, on 20 May 2020 - 11:19 AM, said:

Take the EBR for example. It's been out for more than a year so far and everyone knows it's OP and unbalanced. Did they nerf it? Not yet. Why? More people spend gold and money on premium accounts to level it up because everyone wants to whore on stats and with that one it's a walk in the park. 

Maybe.

For some reason the people who claim light tanks are for "stat padders" have usually pretty crappy stats on light tanks. Makes you wonder.

Blubba #16 Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:07 PM

Major

• Player
  • 63999 battles

View PostNoivilbo, on 20 May 2020 - 10:19 AM, said:

Why buff the ones you already have and not make new ones that are better? While we are at it, nerf the old ones a bit as well.

It's called marketing mate, they don't want you to play the old ones because they aren't as good as the newer ones and they want you to buy the new ones

You can see it with almost every tank (premium or not) that's being released nowadays. 

It's a rinse and repeat process at this point. 

--> Get out something completely unbalanced

--> Let people spend their money to acquire it

--> People will cry out for a nerf hundreds of times but we'll ignore them since more people still want to play/buy it.

--> After it's made a considerable amount of money, nerf it or introduce something even more unbalanced so the focus shifts to the new content.

--> If you can't find a way to balance the tank because it takes too much brain power or whatever, you can always remove it completely (WT Auf E 100) or make it a "special tank" for those that already had it and remove it from the research tree.

Only works up to a point. Anyone who was going to buy one of those special vehicles, whatever that may be has pretty much bought it. That's why it comes in and out of the shop in an attempt to ramp up interest. Same with older things like the 50TP Proto which apparently got removed recently.

Now for existing tanks. Lots are crap so no one bought them but they have already been made so no modelling required. They just need a little tweaking.

Old players either own them (collectors) or refuse to buy them because of their performance. New players won't buy them for the same reason.

Now redo a few bits of them, give them a unique camo and sell. You attract all of the non buyers above and as long as they are not OP the game improves rather than stagnates into specific tanks all the time. Furthermore any investment, either initially or latterly made in their development can be offset against renewed sales. If it paid for itself originally, it's all gravy.

I can't see a downside for either side, WG or the player.

Edited by Blubba, 20 May 2020 - 05:47 PM.

Wankelschrauben #17 Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:37 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16387 battles
  • [5REST] 5REST

I agree with what Blubba has stated, he's hit the nail on the head. 

I buy and play premium tanks because they're fun (KV5, E25), or they look cool (Lansen C with Wolves of Odin skin), or they have a cool attribute I want to try (Progetto 46) or I want a mega credit earner/crew trainer (Lowe, Skorpion G).

I stopped playing when the KV5 was Nerf'd massively, WG lost out on my income for a few years. I came back and I still play the KV5 a lot but it is the premium tanks that keep me interested in the game. A lot of old premiums are rare and if they modernise their characteristics to make them competitive, when they bring them on sale for a short period only, people will buy them, that's a lot potential revenue for not a lot of work.

Vtsuk #18 Posted 20 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 13485 battles
  • [MOUFA] MOUFA
No, buy the new premiums...

murn123 #19 Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13493 battles
They will be buffed if they haven't sold many of them. However if they sold plenty of them there is no reason for them to buff

Search_Warrant #20 Posted 20 May 2020 - 03:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 28951 battles
  • [FLOOF] FLOOF
The day tier 8 patton's get a buff, haaaa. never gonna happen. buffing old prems doesent give WG money.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users