Money Spent on the Game

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Kingfish__ #1 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8184 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The thing a lot of us don’t want to admit — how much money we've spent on this game.

Yesterday I decided, out of interest, to quickly go through online bank statements, etc — and work out how much I’ve spent on this game over the years. Let’s just say it was more than I’d imagined, fairly sobering reading. It’s not a HUGE amount, just much more than I’d realised. (Ain’t that always the case? If I had a figure for how much I’d spent on beer over the years, I’d probably become tee-total). 

Anyway, I was wondering whether any of you had had similar moments of realisation where you’d worked out how much money you’ve spent on this game over time?

I realised a lot of the money has been on small gold bundles, training/retraining crews — freeXPing past crap stock modules/tanks, etc. (I was a sucker for Premiums, less so lately as I’ve got a good range now). I’ve bought the occasional bundle that comes with credits to fund my Dinger gold habit, etc. But it’s mainly those small gold packages that seem inexpensive, but of course add up.

A lot of the spend boils down to impatience. I earn a decent living as a freelance designer so don’t want to spend whole evenings grinding credits, driving crap stock tanks, etc. (I like customisations too — I’m a designer,  what can I say?) I actually think the amount I spend comes down over time anyway, as I’m grinding less lines — needing to retrain less crews/unlock less stuff.

But after my moment of realisation, I think I’ll be doing more grinding in future, and driving crap looking tanks, full of idiot crews. Or will I? ... 

Anyone else had a moment of $$$ realisation like I have? Whose joining me in the reformed wallet-closed crew?

Edited by Kingfish__, 21 May 2020 - 10:44 AM.

smokeytheband1t #2 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:42 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11027 battles

haven't spent alot on this game..

i wasted ALOT of money on Gundam SDGO way back when tho...

i'd say somewhere close to 3-4 grand in 2 years time e.E

Kingfish__ #3 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8184 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 21 May 2020 - 09:42 AM, said:

haven't spent alot on this game..

i wasted ALOT of money on Gundam SDGO way back when tho...

i'd say somewhere close to 3-4 grand in 2 years time e.E

I hear ya — partly my motivation for finding out about WoT spending is that my 11 year old son has got into Pokemon GO, so I've been playing it with him — and keep buying these 0.79p bundles to get the balls you throw. Anyway, I realised I'd spent £10 in a few days on little pixel balls to catch imaginary monsters. Help me. 

Uh_Oh_ #4 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3696 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Think I've spent maybe £15 max on this game since last June.

malachi6 #5 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:46 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51526 battles

Interestingly, it can be the money that people spend on the game that keeps them playing.  It is known as the sunk cost or gamblers fallacy.  And while I am sure it is not a large part of WG marketing strategy, Having people think they have money invested in the game is a way to keep people playing and paying.

Also, for some, the amount of time spent playing can be an incentive to keep playing

Edited by malachi6, 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM.

Kingfish__ #6 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:47 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8184 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostUh_Oh_, on 21 May 2020 - 09:45 AM, said:

Think I've spent maybe £15 max on this game since last June.

How do you do it, no premium account? Do you not retrain crews for gold? Never free XP, etc? I think I've been doing this all wrong... lol.

Edited by Kingfish__, 21 May 2020 - 10:52 AM.

smokeytheband1t #7 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 11027 battles

View PostKingfish__, on 21 May 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

I hear ya — partly my motivation for finding out about WoT spending is that my 11 year old son has got into Pokemon GO, so I've been playing it with him — and keep buying these 0.79p bundles to get the balls you throw. Anyway, I realised I'd spent £10 in a few days on little pixel balls to catch imaginary monsters. Help me. 

it just turned into a weird habbit.. every start of the month i'd run to the store to get a grab a few paysafe card..

then it became weekly paysafe cards.. T.T

before i knew it I sank thousands into a gachagame (japanese version of lootbox games & mechanics) 

avr7002 #8 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 36332 battles

I had payed for WOT 3600 euros during my years in WOT, I have premium account all time, I use lot of premium stuff. I have 36k battles and my wr is now 42,8%. I am not bot, my avg exp is 631 avg exp, but I am just unlucky. Last time my team have much worse players, than myself already bad player, lot of my team has avg exp only near 300 exp and avg dmg as well in high tier battles ( !?!), often they are in platoon. My avg dmg is 1140 avg dmg per battle. Yesterday my wr fall to 28 %, although I made in HT 1,43 detected and 1805 avg dmg. I never camp nor suicide, play carefully, but usually over runned by enemy team. I have good stats for blocking enemy shots, among 4% best players. But I got horror RNG, usually my shots on weak spot never pen, even with gold ammo. I often see battle reports, 13 shots fired, 10 hits, 3 pens.  For money you will get just what is described stuff, you will get nothing hidden bonus additional.

jack_timber #9 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 44737 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Only item I buy is 30 days premium and 1k gold every month, never buy prem tanks for reasons - to tight fisted you know :)

So for 38p a day I consider it good value, well it keeps me entertained.

Zmago5000 #10 Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:52 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17486 battles

View PostKingfish__, on 21 May 2020 - 10:41 AM, said:

.... so don’t want to spend whole evenings grinding credits, driving crap stock tanks, etc.

Same here,..I dont want to spend my limited little free time driving crap or endless grinding,....so I buy sth. here and there every few months,....ussualy after getting a -30% coupon which pops up every 2-3 months I spend some money not much though,..and Boxes of course , I consider that 100 eur well spent :)

Edited by Zmago5000, 21 May 2020 - 10:53 AM.

Uh_Oh_ #11 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:02 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 3696 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostKingfish__, on 21 May 2020 - 10:47 AM, said:

How do you do it, no premium account? Do you not retrain crews for gold? Never free XP, etc? I think I've been doing this all wrong... lol.

Had some free premium from events/tank rewards/free twitch stuff from having amazon prime. Then alot of non premium game time! Bought a PzS35 for £4? Used that to grind most my money whilst blowing it on random low tier tanks. And rest of the money went on discounted gold. The lowest amount maybe 3 or 4 times

Karasu_Hidesuke #12 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17494 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

View Postmalachi6, on 21 May 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

Interestingly, it can be the money that people spend on the game that keeps them playing.  It is known as the sunk cost or gamblers fallacy.  And while I am sure it is not a large part of WG marketing strategy, Having people think they have money invested in the game is a way to keep people playing and paying.

Also, for some, the amount of time spent playing can be an incentive to keep playing

Sadly for me, even this doesn't seem to do the trick any more. It's a shame that even the 10th anniversary can't get me excited enuff to really try and play this game more. IMHO they've managed to do a little too good a job in ruining it.

aps1 #13 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:07 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30375 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6
Buy the 75 bundle of loot boxes at Christmas. Usually get enough gold from getting tanks I already have and spend the gold on a year’s premium and have some nice premium tanks to play with.
Tanks I have got from loot boxes. Some I got more then once but got gold compensation. Done this for two years on the bounce
Scop
Defender
Is2 Il
Prog(best by far)
The Russian scorpion but can’t remember it’s name. Had this from the marathon so got 12 k gold instead
E75ts

85 pound for the 75 boxes equates to 190 pound which got me two years Worth of premium well a lot more as you get prime days in-the boxes to)all them tanks loads of credits, boosters over Christmas, Christmas styles, all the tank skins. Plus a load of gold to convert free exp..

Works out about 0.26p a day for the last two years. I pay 40 pound a month for a gym I hardly use. Well worth the money in my eyes.

Edited by aps1, 21 May 2020 - 11:11 AM.

Ceeb #14 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 35730 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF
No more than what i would have spent on Drink or nights out

Edited by Ceeb, 21 May 2020 - 11:12 AM.

jabster #15 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12848 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKingfish__, on 21 May 2020 - 09:41 AM, said:

The thing a lot of us don’t want to admit — how much money we've spent on this game.

Yesterday I decided, out of interest, to quickly go through online bank statements, etc — and work out how much I’ve spent on this game over the years. Let’s just say it was more than I’d imagined, fairly sobering reading. It’s not a HUGE amount, just much more than I’d realised. (Ain’t that always the case? If I had a figure for how much I’d spent on beer over the years, I’d probably become tee-total). 

Anyway, I was wondering whether any of you had had similar moments of realisation where you’d worked out how much money you’ve spent on this game over time?

I realised a lot of the money has been on small gold bundles, training/retraining crews — freeXPing past crap stock modules/tanks, etc. (I was a sucker for Premiums, less so lately as I’ve got a good range now). I’ve bought the occasional bundle that comes with credits to fund my Dinger gold habit, etc. But it’s mainly those small gold packages that seem inexpensive, but of course add up.

A lot of the spend boils down to impatience. I earn a decent living as a freelance designer so don’t want to spend whole evenings grinding credits, driving crap stock tanks, etc. (I like customisations too — I’m a designer,  what can I say?) I actually think the amount I spend comes down over time anyway, as I’m grinding less lines — needing to retrain less crews/unlock less stuff.

But after my moment of realisation, I think I’ll be doing more grinding in future, and driving crap looking tanks, full of idiot crews. Or will I? ... 

Anyone else had a moment of $$$ realisation like I have? Whose joining me in the reformed wallet-closed crew?

If it’s entirely affordable and you think the difference between spending or not is worthwhile then why not carry on spending?

Hedgehog1963 #16 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 57624 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
I've bought every premium tank it has been possible for me to buy and have run premium time since 2011.  I imagine I've spent a couple of thousand quid.

Blubba #17 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:31 AM

Major

• Player
  • 63999 battles

It's cheaper than my bar bill would have been!

I would buy premium account but to be fair, with xmas boxes from the last two xmas' and winning odd days here and there, I haven't bought it for over a year and still have nearly 6 months to run. I've won many premium tanks but I've also bought lots. I won't generally buy them for less than 20% discount but even so, that can add up. That said, I've been here a few years. I don't buy free XP and I rarely retrain crews with gold although I will reset their skills when I realise I cocked up. I've had some tanks a loooong time and rarely use all of them. Going back and seeing Hanz the loader with a fire fighter 1st and only skill is annoying!

Still, with the xmas boxes, it's no big chore. I still have over 20k gold left.

Garage slots was a thing when I started. I bought 3-4 at the start when on sale but now, with winning so many, I really don't need them.

I have over 260 tanks in there and still 20 slots available.

I just looked it up. I have 132 premium/reward tanks!

Wanted a KV-5 but the last sale was too pricey for me. I've seen it a lot cheaper and I can wait so I got the special camo free with the coin things and I wait.

I like playing the game. Patience isn't something you need when you enjoy it and generally I do. I play through the pain of stocks and won't use any more than the free xp I earn rather than buy. 

Note to self: Clearly I enjoy it. I have owned and researched every tank in the game.

Edited by Blubba, 21 May 2020 - 11:33 AM.

kaneloon #18 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33044 battles

I can tell you : 132 € on tanks, 136 € on gold/time, 263 € on chrismas boxes => total about 530 €.

Much cheaper than the time I "wasted" ;)

naxela #19 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:36 AM

Private

• Player
  • 27169 battles
  • [LOOI] LOOI
How much did you spent? I did some hundreds i think 300-500 euros.

Ailok_Konem #20 Posted 21 May 2020 - 11:52 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2461 battles
150euro in 1st month

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users