Your interpretation...?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

Stig_Stigma #1 Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23282 battles
  • [DOCTR] DOCTR

So last night I was playing mainly EBR class, from tier 7, 8 and 10. I dont like to play the tier 9 that much because that gun feels derpy.  

And I noticed a thing, anecdotaly speaking. I reinstalled xvm. I noticed that the majority of battles were with players full ORANGE, aka sub average, and that the only average and above players were playing EBRs, be it tier 8 or tier 10. 

Why do u think that happens? Because the best players know these tanks are op and play them?

Because the orange players are mostly new players and havent researched them yet?

Because the best players know the teams are bad, and they can relocate faster to the other side in case help is needed? 

Other reasons?

JocMeister #2 Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

Major

• Player
  • 29020 battles

View PostStig_Stigma, on 22 May 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

So last night I was playing mainly EBR class, from tier 7, 8 and 10. I dont like to play the tier 9 that much because that gun feels derpy.  

And I noticed a thing, anecdotaly speaking. I reinstalled xvm. I noticed that the majority of battles were with players full ORANGE, aka sub average, and that the only average and above players were playing EBRs, be it tier 8 or tier 10. 

Why do u think that happens? Because the best players know these tanks are op and play them?

Because the orange players are mostly new players and havent researched them yet?

Because the best players know the teams are bad, and they can relocate faster to the other side in case help is needed? 

Other reasons?

First of all. About 90% of the WoT player base are sub 48%ers...no surprise there...

About the EBR...said 90% of the player base can barely press W, go to their favorite bush and do 1-2 shots (while eating crayons) of damage per game never leaving that bush. Do your really think they can handle something that actually requires you to drive and shoot at the same time? Come on...

Edited by JocMeister, 22 May 2020 - 07:38 AM.

StronkiTonki #3 Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:38 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 35688 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

I don't use XVM right now.

But I guess lots of people are getting annoyed with them, and take the "If you can't beat them, join them" approach.

shikaka9 #4 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:14 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 78403 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
all players are equal, for me :trollface:

Private_Miros #5 Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 28768 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

I use XVM and see no such thing.

(I also see far more greens and blues than in in 2016, or at least from memory, that aside. And a lot less deep red)

One thing that might play a role though, I at least have the tendency to play something silly (arty, T49,...) late at night, when I am getting tired and the teams are getting strange. Maybe others have that reflex too, and you see more better players in zoom mobiles proportionally speaking.

Edited by Private_Miros, 22 May 2020 - 12:49 PM.

qpranger #6 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:06 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

Of course, wheelies are so difficult to play, that is why only good players tend to use them.

After all, wheelies slow down considerably on bad terrain,

are difficult to turn and can be easily shot to bits.

No, wait, that would be War Thunder.

Lagalaza #7 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:25 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15144 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

I use XVM and must say I disagree with your assertion about loads of orange rated players. My experience would cause me to estimate the following.....

If you play tier 5 the average is definitely 50% red, 45% orange and then the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 6 is 40% red, 50% orange, 15% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 7 is 20% red, 50% orange, 25% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 8 is 5% red, 55% orange, 35% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 9 is 5% red, 35% orange, 45% yellow, 10% green and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 10 is 5% red, 25% orange, 50% yellow, 15% green and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

People's overall XVM is misleading. Much more reflective of their ability in an individual battle is their xvm rating in the particular tank they are driving. Also, their recent stats are far more reflective of their current ability. I have a friend who shows as yellow but she is much closer to blue these days. Myself, I show as orange but I am comfortably green over the past 2000 battles or so. If I am driving my Super Pershing, Pz V/IV, KV-220-2, VK 30.01P or Krupp-Steyr WT then rest assured, I'm very much a blue player for most of my battles.

Don't use overall XVM to judge a player. You'll often be in for a shock when you think you can simply roll them over.  :teethhappy:

evilchaosmonkey #8 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 18891 battles
  • [EIGHT] EIGHT
Possibly because the good players are bored with playing the traditional tanks, enjoy the new play style and above all enjoy exploiting these tanks to dominate and win?

arthurwellsley #9 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:28 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 55915 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostStig_Stigma, on 22 May 2020 - 06:25 AM, said:

So last night I was playing mainly EBR class, from tier 7, 8 and 10. I don't like to play the tier 9 that much because that gun feels derpy.  

And I noticed a thing, anecdotally speaking. I reinstalled XVM. I noticed that the majority of battles were with players full ORANGE,  I suspect this is subjective, as taken together the majority of players should be either red, orange or yellow, with the minority being green, blue and purple in increasingly smaller numbers

aka sub average, and that the only average and above players were playing EBRs, be it tier 8 or tier 10. I would suspect average and below players play through the tier VIII, and IX and do not keep them on the way to opening the tier X. Meanwhile the above average players may choose to keep the IX as well as owning the X. Personally I sold the tier VIII Lynx as I have the premium EBR 75.

Why do you think that happens? Because the best players know these tanks are op and play them?

Because the orange players are mostly new players and haven't researched them yet?

Other reasons? Because wheeled tanks are hard to do well in. The skill ceiling is high. They are thus fun to play for highly skilled players, and something merely to grind through for less than average players.

View Postqpranger, on 22 May 2020 - 08:06 AM, said:

Of course, wheelies are so difficult to play, that is why only good players tend to use them.

So looking at qpranger's account statistics for wheeled vehicles;

tier VI Panhard AMD 178B - played two games, won both 100% win rate,

tier VII none shown on the account skipped with free exp and/or blueprints

tier VIII Lynx 6x6 - played four, won one, 25% win rate, average wn8 in the four games = 349

tier VIII Panhard EBR 75 (FL 10) premium vehicle - played 196 battles, win rate 43%, average wn8 = 890

So qpranger's post arguing that wheeled vehicles do not suffer from "slowing down considerably on bad terrain,
and are not difficult to turn and can be easily shot to bits" is undermined by his own performance in the wheeled vehicles he owned and played. For if they were as OP as qpranger suggests then the logical conclusion should be that they improve his win rate and wn8, when instead both those figures are below his normal ranges.

Thus qprangers account statistics for wheeled vehicles also tends to support Stig-Stigma's thesis that only good players regularly play the tier IX and X as they are actually difficult to play well.

Kingfish__ #10 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:37 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 8150 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Watching a streamer the other day he popped a game in the EBR 75 and said 'if nothing else playing this gives me an adrenaline kick!' — says it all really. When you've played this game a lot, doing something different — silly — exciting? probably makes a nice change. I watched Dakillzor last night, and he got owned by arty — so immediately next game popped an EBR 105 game, and all he did was drive-wiggle straight across the map and destroy the enemies 2 arty before being killed — revenge-motivated fun.

Edited by Kingfish__, 22 May 2020 - 09:37 AM.

kaneloon #11 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:41 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33019 battles
Strangely when I get fed up with EBRs I switch to arty to calm down ... Wot is a sick game.

qpranger #12 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:42 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View Postarthurwellsley, on 22 May 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

tier VIII Lynx 6x6 - played four, won one, 25% win rate, average wn8 in the four games = 349

tier VIII Panhard EBR 75 (FL 10) premium vehicle - played 196 battles, win rate 43%, average wn8 = 890

So qpranger's post arguing that wheeled vehicles do not suffer from "slowing down considerably on bad terrain,
and are not difficult to turn and can be easily shot to bits" is undermined by his own performance in the wheeled vehicles he owned and played. 

No undermining. I am just not good at dashing around at 100 kmh while bouncing damage off my titanium wheels (and also shooting at the same time), never was and never will be. I tried for a while and I predictably failed. It is just a totally different meta from what I expect from a tank game. That is why I don't play racing games. And that is why I prefer War Thunder now.

Edited by qpranger, 22 May 2020 - 09:54 AM.

kaneloon #13 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:44 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33019 battles
And lots of 44% have EBR, that's those who full yolo the enemy team. Strangely they have a 55% WR in those tanks.

In_memory_of_Bud_Spencer #14 Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:58 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22922 battles
  • [-V-A-] -V-A-

View PostLagalaza, on 22 May 2020 - 09:25 AM, said:

I use XVM and must say I disagree with your assertion about loads of orange rated players. My experience would cause me to estimate the following.....

If you play tier 5 the average is definitely 50% red, 45% orange and then the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 6 is 40% red, 50% orange, 15% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 7 is 20% red, 50% orange, 25% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 8 is 5% red, 55% orange, 35% yellow and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 9 is 5% red, 35% orange, 45% yellow, 10% green and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

Tier 10 is 5% red, 25% orange, 50% yellow, 15% green and the rest is a mixture of higher colours.

I guess, this difference maybe depends on the modpack, you are using. For example, I saw a lot of players (streamers) with Oldskools Modpack (only as an example) and they did not have the original values from XVM, they had more "friendly" values, so more players were yellow, green or blue (or even purple). If you use e.g Aslains and chose the original XVM scale, you have another "view" with much more orange.

Here are the XVM values for the colors: https://modxvm.com/en/ratings/xvm-scale/colors/

Yellow starts at 1005, green at 1598, blue at 2417, purple at 3271.

Edited by In_memory_of_Bud_Spencer, 22 May 2020 - 10:02 AM.

Stig_Stigma #15 Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23282 battles
  • [DOCTR] DOCTR

View Postqpranger, on 22 May 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

Pls LIKE my thread. Pls

Stig_Stigma #16 Posted 22 May 2020 - 11:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 23282 battles
  • [DOCTR] DOCTR

View Postarthurwellsley, on 22 May 2020 - 09:28 AM, said:

and are not difficult to turn and can be easily shot to bits" is undermined by his own performance in the wheeled vehicles he owned and played. For if they were as OP as qpranger suggests then the logical conclusion should be that they improve his win rate and wn8, when instead both those figures are below his normal ranges.

Thus qprangers account statistics for wheeled vehicles also tends to support Stig-Stigma's thesis that only good players regularly play the tier IX and X as they are actually difficult to play well.

My opinion is that players who are used with fast tanks, with low pen, that have always needed to watch the minimap and make flanking plays with do very very well in the wheeled tanks. While players who are used to slow, camping tanks with decent penetration, who arent used to flanking gameplay and not used to watching the minimap that often, with not do good with the wheeled tanks.

Randomar #17 Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 32204 battles

Is dis a sicrit tred abaut wehled vehilces?:hiding:

View PostKingfish__, on 22 May 2020 - 09:37 AM, said:

Watching a streamer the other day he popped a game in the EBR 75 and said 'if nothing else playing this gives me an adrenaline kick!' — says it all really. When you've played this game a lot, doing something different — silly — exciting? probably makes a nice change. I watched Dakillzor last night, and he got owned by arty — so immediately next game popped an EBR 105 game, and all he did was drive-wiggle straight across the map and destroy the enemies 2 arty before being killed — revenge-motivated fun.

If it would work like this, it could be balanced and the game would become playable again.

But it's a myth.
Wheelies don't do sh!t against arties. Not even in the end of a game they reach the arty to destroy it.

All of the players camp more, because they fear to be still in the movement (to their concealment or cover) when they get revealed by a WV.
They terrorize the opponent team and destroy every plan.

The most important disadvantage:
The WVs are a class of its own - they don't have a counterpart.
So both teams reacts with panik.

Slyspy #18 Posted 22 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15301 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostStig_Stigma, on 22 May 2020 - 07:25 AM, said:

Other reasons?

Although your example is pretty anecdotal it makes sense that the better players will identify and acquire the flavour of the month/broken/OP/meta (delete as you feel is appropriate) vehicles fairly quickly. Also LTs have always been WG's hard mode and those who struggle to win or be effective in other classes are unlikely to stick with them. IMO of course. 

General_Jack_D_Ripper #19 Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:05 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4955 battles

View PostJocMeister, on 22 May 2020 - 07:37 AM, said:

First of all. About 90% of the WoT player base are sub 48%ers...no surprise there...

I do not think that it works like that. :amazed:

Xeon_Meister #20 Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8132 battles

View PostStig_Stigma, on 22 May 2020 - 11:28 AM, said:

My opinion is that players who are used with fast tanks, with low pen, that have always needed to watch the minimap and make flanking plays with do very very well in the wheeled tanks. While players who are used to slow, camping tanks with decent penetration, who arent used to flanking gameplay and not used to watching the minimap that often, with not do good with the wheeled tanks.

Basically you re saying that good players are good with ebrs and bad players play them bad. What a surprise.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users