Putting an end to forum toxicity before bad things happen...

Forum Society Toxicity

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

Homer_J #41 Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:19 AM

Field Marshal

• 34005 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

If someone feels offended by a post then there is the report button.

As for this thread, it has nothing to do with gameplay.

If you feel a section of the forum is not visited enough then perhaps you should start visiting it.

NekoPuffer_PPP #42 Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:28 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 38203 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostHomer_J, on 24 May 2020 - 01:19 AM, said:

If someone feels offended by a post then there is the report button.

As for this thread, it has nothing to do with gameplay.

If you feel a section of the forum is not visited enough then perhaps you should start visiting it.

I only put it there to get the ball rolling.

Carry on. :honoring:

Kdingo #43 Posted 24 May 2020 - 01:31 AM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostLethalWalou, on 24 May 2020 - 01:17 AM, said:

No, it's like going to watch a football game and then get dragged into the fighting in the stands. You went to watch the football game just for the sport, but other people forced something that they think is normal at a football game on you. Then afterwards the shaming starts when you press charges against them. ''Oh but it's normal, don't be such a snowflake'' would be said.

The latter part is you describing harassment, just a form of toxicity. Non-constructive insulting and berating for example goes under the category of general toxicity, and it gives absolutely nothing to the forums. It simply makes the people who like to say such things feel good about themselves.

You are well aware that the only one forcing anything was him right? You think anyone would have messaged him without him starting weird topics?

The difference is that i don't demand speech to be policed cause this leads to the most retarded outcome imaginable. Specially about a topic like this where someone fee fees are supposed do dictate what is considered toxic etc.

I also have no problem admitting that i am allergic to those snowflakes/professional victims. How is one even supposed to be taken serious when his response to feedback is "how rude".

But we can argue all day long, feel free to support this victim mentality fine with me. We can just agree to disagree on the topic.

LethalWalou #44 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:02 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36564 battles

View PostKdingo, on 24 May 2020 - 12:31 AM, said:

You are well aware that the only one forcing anything was him right? You think anyone would have messaged him without him starting weird topics?

The difference is that i don't demand speech to be policed cause this leads to the most retarded outcome imaginable. Specially about a topic like this where someone fee fees are supposed do dictate what is considered toxic etc.

I also have no problem admitting that i am allergic to those snowflakes/professional victims. How is one even supposed to be taken serious when his response to feedback is "how rude".

But we can argue all day long, feel free to support this victim mentality fine with me. We can just agree to disagree on the topic.

Posting game related things on the said games forums is not forcing something on others. It's what this is for. If you feel forced by that, then I suggest you to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

Should you perhaps 'treat' that allergy of yours? If you call others snowflakes, what does it make you when you get 'offended' by other people getting 'offended'? There really is just too many people shaming certain kind of people by calling them 'snowflakes' for example, but they themselves fall into the same behaviour they shame others for.

The bottom line is that toxicity, be it harassment or insults or simply non-constructive posting, it really offers nothing positive to the forums. The only thing it offers positivity for is for the people who do it, they get satisfaction out of saying such things to others.

Olias_0f_Sunhillow #45 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:14 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 27488 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I've been in some right 'bear-pit', forums; they were not for people that surround themselves with FaceBook friends, that will never disagree with anything you post.

It gives a tremendously wrong impression of the world at large.

Kdingo #46 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:26 AM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostLethalWalou, on 24 May 2020 - 02:02 AM, said:

Posting game related things on the said games forums is not forcing something on others. It's what this is for. If you feel forced by that, then I suggest you to take a step back and re-evaluate the situation.

Should you perhaps 'treat' that allergy of yours? If you call others snowflakes, what does it make you when you get 'offended' by other people getting 'offended'? There really is just too many people shaming certain kind of people by calling them 'snowflakes' for example, but they themselves fall into the same behaviour they shame others for.

The bottom line is that toxicity, be it harassment or insults or simply non-constructive posting, it really offers nothing positive to the forums. The only thing it offers positivity for is for the people who do it, they get satisfaction out of saying such things to others.

Posting anything means you put it out for response, crying about the wrong kind of response is just being hypocrite. you are  ot supposed to like the response  ut have to deal with it regardless, like grown ups usually do.

This "I post my stuff  but only want replies i like" stuff is the usual echo  chamber lunacy and usually the explanation those people can't handle feedback/criticism without playing victim.

Also i feel quite comfortable with my snowflake allergy, its  not causing problems but reminds me that society goes down the drain with mental health/toughness. I  mean there are already people in need for therapy over claimed ptsd from twitter...

And no worries i am no way offended by this self victimization, i just don't feel pity either.

The bottom line is "toxicity" is horsepoo as its defined individualyand the biggest wimp/weakest mind claims victim hod for special treatment/pandering.

But just cause you define something as toxic doesn't make it toxic.

Edited by Kdingo, 24 May 2020 - 02:29 AM.

LethalWalou #47 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36564 battles

View PostClaus_KeIIerman, on 24 May 2020 - 01:14 AM, said:

I've been in some right 'bear-pit', forums; they were not for people that surround themselves with FaceBook friends, that will never disagree with anything you post.

It gives a tremendously wrong impression of the world at large.

Simply disagreeing and arguing why is part of what a forum is. The thing is that it's not what happened in those example threads. Calling others ''trolls'' and ''''special'' humans'', and giving non-constructive answers is what actually happened and all of those are useless to the forums. Take UrQuan's reply in the second thread as an example, he managed to give constructive feedback on why it was pointless to post such good games to ask tips for. There were couple people who weren't able to give such constructive feedback and ventured into the toxicity.

Balc0ra #48 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 79056 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostVsUK, on 24 May 2020 - 01:16 AM, said:

There's different types of toxicity. They are types that are just openly abusive. Some who specifically go about bullying people for merely having an opinion.

Well, there is having an option, but still respecting those that disagree. And attacking those that don't agree. The one you use the most... is what you will get back the most. And how most here operate.

LethalWalou #49 Posted 24 May 2020 - 02:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 36564 battles

View PostKdingo, on 24 May 2020 - 01:26 AM, said:

Posting anything means you put it out for response, crying about the wrong kind of response is just being hypocrite. you are  ot supposed to like the response  ut have to deal with it regardless, like grown ups usually do.

This "I post my stuff  but only want replies i like" stuff is the usual echo  chamber lunacy and usually the explanation those people can't handle feedback/criticism without playing victim.

Also i feel quite comfortable with my snowflake allergy, its  not causing problems but reminds me that society goes down the drain with mental health/toughness. I  mean there are already people in need for therapy over claimed ptsd from twitter...

And no worries i am no way offended by this self victimization, i just don't feel pity either.

The bottom line is "toxicity" is horsepoo as its defined individualyand the biggest wimp/weakest mind claims victim hod for special treatment/pandering.

But just cause you define something as toxic doesn't make it toxic.

Why should someone have to deal with non-constructive feedback, and insults? When I post to the forums, I expect others to take a mature stance on what is being said and answer without ridiculing or insulting or with anything other non-constructive. Can't you really see that when you say things like this:

View PostKdingo, on 23 May 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

I am convinced he is either a troll or one of those very "special" humans. You know the kinda people asking a question and then mute/ban anyone not willing to create an echo chamber. The reason why anything fun gets ruined by being made toddler friendly safe spaces so snowflakes don´t feel offended.

it offers absolutely nothing to the discussion? I guarantee you that saxsan didn't expect that kind of responses. Even if he expected agreeing ones, he still respected feedback like UrQuan's telling him how pointless it was to post the replays of good games to ask help for. The second reply in that thread gave feedback for the same thing as UrQuan, but in a non-constructive way. It's not hard to see the problem in one of the replies.

Unfortunately it quite clearly is a problem for you since you feel the need to react in a way I quoted above.

If you don't want to define something as toxic, then understand that non-constructive is another, broader, term for it, at least when it comes to a forum environment. Do you think that non-constructive posting, such as yours above, is somehow of value to the forums? Can't you really understand that it offers nothing other than to those people who like to say such things to others. Just like fighting in the stands at a football game doesn't offer anything positive to the people who are there to watch the sport, but only offers positivity to those who like to fight.

Echotun #50 Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:07 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24811 battles
  • [FA-1] FA-1

View PostLethalWalou, on 24 May 2020 - 02:47 AM, said:

Why should someone have to deal with non-constructive feedback, and insults? When I post to the forums, I expect others to take a mature stance on what is being said and answer without ridiculing or insulting or with anything other non-constructive. Can't you really see that when you say things like this:

If you don't want to define something as toxic, then understand that non-constructive is another, broader, term for it, at least when it comes to a forum environment. Do you think that non-constructive posting, such as yours above, is somehow of value to the forums? Can't you really understand that it offers nothing other than to those people who like to say such things to others. Just like fighting in the stands at a football game doesn't offer anything positive to the people who are there to watch the sport, but only offers positivity to those who like to fight.

The thing is, you dont have to «deal with» anything. If someone responds with non-constructive feedback you are in your full right to ignore their post entirely. 

gunslingerXXX #51 Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15551 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Reminds me of this character from southpark series. 

PCprincipal1.png

Apologies for those who don't know him, I can not explain it properly in words.

jabster #52 Posted 24 May 2020 - 07:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12871 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostLethalWalou, on 23 May 2020 - 11:51 PM, said:

1. The world/internet isn't a safe space for toxic people to be toxic and then whine and be more toxic when someone calls them out for it.

2. If someone is so mentally unstable and used to toxic environment that they have to be toxic to others and try to cause miserry upon others to feel good about themselves, they shouldn't be spending time on places like gaming forums, they should seek help.

3. It has become a disgusting trend that people shame anyone who is talking against toxicity. Some people have been toxic and spent time in such environment that they can't recognize normal respectful behaviour anymore and toxicity has become the norm for them.

Generally I agree but that’s not what’s happening here. Not sure if you were on the forums for this wonderful thread.

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/403537-ijustmetjingles/page__st__120__pid__8384703#entry8384703

Edited by jabster, 24 May 2020 - 07:27 AM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #53 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46963 battles

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 23 May 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

I can't help but notice these 4 locked threads...

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/744547-bond-shop-help/

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/744552-2-replays-to-review-for-me-help-saxsan-improve/

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/744391-help-me-pick-tank-reward/

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/744561-game-is-less-toxic-recently-fourms-on-the-other-hand/

All were closed at OP's request, with the end message - "Mods PLEASE DELATE - I am leaving forums - bye all"

To say I am worried would be an understatement.

This thread is obviously unrelated to gameplay, but certainly belongs right here in "General Discussion", where most people go to.

We need to talk about toxicity and behaviour on this forum...things need to change. This is not okay.

As someone who has experienced this on their own skin, I know all too well it ain't easy to deal with, especially for someone who isn't as mentally stable as I am.

I've got a bad feeling...saxsan4 might need some real help, meanwhile the forum is as ruthless and vicious as ever...shame on all of y'all.

OK, there was nothing bad about this at all.

The entire series of events was pure, unadulterated 'look at me' victim claiming.

Let me tell you, and I speak from personal experience here, anyone who genuinely suffers from anxiety and stress would never act in such a manner - EVER.

The fact that the posts were crossed out, rather than deleted, was so that anyone who wanted to could read them - classic narcissism if ever I saw it.

All this 'woe is me' cow chutney is exactly that, a big steaming pile of cow chutney.

10:31 Added after 2 minute

View PostKdingo, on 23 May 2020 - 09:39 PM, said:

1. i am getting sick and tired of this "toxic" horseshit. The world/internet isn't some save space where the weakest/most unstable person dictate the rules with guilt trapping over weaponized victimhood.
2. if someone isn't mentally well then he/she should protect him/herself from exposure and not expect/demand the world to pamper him/her. So if one has mental issues/aniety then for [edited]sake remain from spamming the forum.
3. it is becoming a disgusting trend with people acting like the world should be their positive affirmation echo chamber, if people don't play along they throe tantrum and demand special treatment.

Like an ex gf i once had, broke up with her and she threatened to harm/kill herself if i don't take her back. You don't ever give in to extortion, period.

Its not the world becoming toxic, its just that there are more and more snowflakes which made a profession out of being offended over anything just to play victim. And i rather have those label me toxic then to bend over and pamper their precious fee fees.

100% This^

Space_Vato #54 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4391 battles

WG doesn't care. Here are the forumrules as per WG standards.

Keep in mind that WG doesn't enforce their own rules.

They simply don't give a cr

Last update to the forumrules: 06-02-2020

Spoiler

But hey, WG doesn't give a.... regarding whatever they say themselves (proper info concerning events, fighting toxicity (they even had a video about it) etc. etc.

WG says a lot, but does very little with whatever they say. Point. Period.

Spoiler

I rest my case...

Edited by Space_Vato, 24 May 2020 - 11:41 AM.

the_nebuchadnezzar #55 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58257 battles
What needs to end is not some made up forum toxicity but the abuse of power coming from the new wave of forum moderators that feel important cause they are able to ban people for no reason...

Edited by the_nebuchadnezzar, 24 May 2020 - 01:37 PM.

Kdingo #56 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:47 AM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

The typical "i am posting what i want but only want responses i like" crap i already mentioned. If you don´t like the response, whatever it is and only want certain responses then better isolate yourself at home in the basement. As the world doesn´t work like this.

I don´t define it as toxic, the same as i don´t define it as toxic to call an idiot an idiot. Look at his passive aggressive topic spam and you are only left with him being either a troll or "special". Given his reaction to that i can narrow it down to "special" a troll wouldn´t have thrown a tantrum and run for the hills.

If you want the world to be your personal affirmation echo chamber then good luck with that, i am surely not going to participate the way you want just cause others may throw a tantrum if i don´t.

Feel free to hand our free hugs to comfort as many people as you want, i prefer being straight, blunt and edgy at times as it cuts the chase.

Joggaman #57 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26434 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Block Quote

Edited by Joggaman, 24 May 2020 - 11:53 AM.

Erwin_Von_Braun #58 Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46963 battles

View Postthe_nebuchadnezzar, on 24 May 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

What needs to end is not some made up forum toxicity bit the abuse of power coming from the new wave of forum moderators that feel important cause they are able to ban people for no reason...

Nothing wrong with the current crop of mods - they've been a lot more patient (especially with me) than I would have been.

Most of the unjust bans I have encountered have come when half a dozen, or so, players band together and block report a post - this leaves the mods with very little choice but to take punitive action.

However, when such things occur it's always worth putting in a complaint to the community manager - they tend to take a dim view of these kind of shenanigans and I have personally had a couple of bans overturned.

10:59 Added after 2 minute

View PostJoggaman, on 24 May 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

Listen buddy, I have NOTHING to say to you.

Echotun #59 Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24811 battles
  • [FA-1] FA-1

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 24 May 2020 - 11:29 AM, said:

OK, there was nothing bad about this at all.

The entire series of events was pure, unadulterated 'look at me' victim claiming.

Let me tell you, and I speak from personal experience here, anyone who genuinely suffers from anxiety and stress would never act in such a manner - EVER.

The fact that the posts were crossed out, rather than deleted, was so that anyone who wanted to could read them - classic narcissism if ever I saw it.

All this 'woe is me' cow chutney is exactly that, a big steaming pile of cow chutney.

10:31 Added after 2 minute

100% This^

And asking the moderators to close down ALL the threads he made, because he his taking his ball and going home... even the thread where he asked for help picking tank rewards, where everyone were having a productive and helpful discussion...

Extremely immature and no doubt seeking attention with self victimization. Hopefully he will grow up one day and realize how embarrasing such behavior is. 

Hmm. In all seriousness, maybe we should hsve a kids section on the forum. Teenagers trying to have debates with real adults (30+) is just... I dunno, weird?

mpf1959 #60 Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:35 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 39890 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

Also tagged with Forum, Society, Toxicity

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users