Jump to content


If it's stupid but it works....


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

DiMtopia #1 Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:13 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 16878 battles
  • 873
  • [1ADRM] 1ADRM
  • Member since:
    09-17-2013

...well it's still stupid because it rarely works.

 

have you ever been outplayed in a totally unexpected and idiotic way?

well i have. several times actually.

 

just today it happened twice.

first on steppes. i was in my skorpion battle was going well. just 1 enemy remaining vs 2 of us. the heavy went in cap and i, being the more mobile tank decided to search for the never spotted isu-152. and i found him...with my face. and boy did i find him as he was using HE.

at first i thought what a great play by him. i was at a bit over 900 hp and he knew he can't one shot me with AP so he smartly used HE to kill me. i was so pissed and certain we'd lose the game. however the heavy calmly sat in cap and the isu never even moved. in fact looked at the post game stats and that guy had less than 2k games 41% win rate loaded he because he probably doesn't understand how ammo works and in that whole game he traveled 212 meters to the spot where i found him and fired a single shot on me. hey, it worked this time... kinda.

 

second time was on malinovka. i'm in my lt432 and from the k2 row of bushes i spot, among others, an udes 14-5 going at the k3 bush. that was in the first 30 seconds of the battle. i do a bit of passive spotting and seeing as how absolutely nothing is happening in the south i relocate on the first plateau and the game goes on. last enemy tank alive was the udes and the minimap has his last location where i spotted him. i'm thinking he's either there and disconnected or he's going for arty. so confident he's actually going for arty i still drive by there just in case. and lo and behold he's still there and he;s not disconnected. he's alive and kicking and he promptly kills me as i was really low on health. then he dies shortly after. post game stats show his shot on me was the first he took. he took 2 more afterwards. what on earth happened there i don't know. to sit in that same bush for well over 7 minutes without any sort of activity does say a lot about one's commitment. this guy had a lot of battles over 15k, and quite an ok-ish win rate of 48%. still, kudos to him for totally catching me off guard.

 

every time something like this happens i swear i'm not gonna make the same mistakes and yet i do. somehow i always end up overthinking things and believing it would be impossible for somebody to do something so stupid. and yet they do, and i'm the dead moron. :D



Desyatnik_Pansy #2 Posted 26 May 2020 - 05:18 PM

    Bartender

  • Moderator
  • 19784 battles
  • 27,949
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
  • Member since:
    04-19-2013

View PostDiMtopia, on 26 May 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

what on earth happened there i don't know. to sit in that same bush for well over 7 minutes without any sort of activity does say a lot about one's commitment.

 

One thing I always get reminded is that there are players who have an amount of patience that I simply don't have, though arguably that's.. not a bad thing. It shocks me how other players can simply sit and stare at the exact same position, blindly ignoring everything else in the battle going on around them, waiting for that one moment in 5-10 Minutes that an enemy enters their line of sight. I like to imagine they're sitting there telling their team "Don't worry, one day someone will poke in front of me!". :teethhappy:



WindSplitter1 #3 Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:33 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 21755 battles
  • 4,134
  • [WINDY] WINDY
  • Member since:
    02-07-2016

The exact thing mentioned by the OP happened to me.

 

Here I am in my prized AMX 13/105 in a Grand Battle, aiming at 6K combined.

 

So far so good. Victory is in sight. Spotted a few clickers got that much-needed assistance and I'm now at less than 1K to complete the assignment.

 

As I join the platoon to mop up the survivors, I get the "spotted" marker. "Obj. 268 spotted" to be more precise. Along with that message, I also get a smoldering wreck that used to be my LT, because the TD had covered behind a house and behind a bush, while silly me was driving straight to his gun.

 

This was upsetting.

More upsetting was checking out the post-game stats, only to find out the 640 damage and single kill he managed to get in the entire game had me as the victim, as per this ~40% player. Barely moved out of the base but did a tremendous job "ruining" my game. I say "ruining" because I honestly do not believe in such a thing. You really are supposed to ruin other people's game in a war based game.

 

Got the mission done 2 battles later on a standard map.



Uh_Oh_ #4 Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:39 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 4458 battles
  • 171
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    06-05-2019
I had one the other day. Is it Himmel something? The town with train yard and hill and open courtyard and fountain in the middle. Was one hell of a game, i did about 1200 damage and kb'd 6 tanks (tier 3) then i go hunting for the last guy. He was stuck on the hill as he had tried to come help his friends earlier, he didn't show up on ky radar until like the 50metres and i was a 1 shot kill for him by this point and i was at the exact right angle for him to shoot me. Could not believe my bad luck

wsatnutter #5 Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:42 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Beta Tester
  • 27578 battles
  • 10,406
  • [WSAT] WSAT
  • Member since:
    08-25-2010
Op one day it will be your turn m8 and send them back to garage thinking wtf

undutchable80 #6 Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:14 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 15302 battles
  • 5,045
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    10-30-2014
Imagine having two of those on your own team as you are bottom tier in your AMX 13 90 on Steppes doing 4,5k dmg and 1,5k assist with 5 kills (including a (badly driven) EBR) and you end up dying to a snap shotting SPG, only to see your team STILL losing the game and two full hp Standard B & Object 268 defending base all game long. Not even moving to the spawn ridge lines or J3, no, sitting on the back ridges of J5/6 with nobody to shoot at all game long. Standard B died with 2 shots fired and 268 with 1 shot fired. 

bnmm113 #7 Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:17 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 12744 battles
  • 388
  • [4K1LL] 4K1LL
  • Member since:
    07-13-2012

i like ramming ebr-s...

its stupid, but it works



Spurtung #8 Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:41 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013


MrClark56 #9 Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:23 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 8288 battles
  • 2,615
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-17-2013

View Postundutchable80, on 27 May 2020 - 07:14 AM, said:

Imagine having two of those on your own team as you are bottom tier in your AMX 13 90 on Steppes doing 4,5k dmg and 1,5k assist with 5 kills (including a (badly driven) EBR) and you end up dying to a snap shotting SPG, only to see your team STILL losing the game and two full hp Standard B & Object 268 defending base all game long. Not even moving to the spawn ridge lines or J3, no, sitting on the back ridges of J5/6 with nobody to shoot at all game long. Standard B died with 2 shots fired and 268 with 1 shot fired. 

Bots are spreading like coronaV in battles... #truestory#replayorgtfo#gitgud



malachi6 #10 Posted 27 May 2020 - 08:51 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 51526 battles
  • 4,684
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011

View PostMrClark56, on 27 May 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

Bots are spreading like coronaV in battles... #truestory#replayorgtfo#gitgud

 

Citation needed.  This comment needs fact-checking.

 

is the V a Roman numeral, is it the first letter of virus, or is it the smashing together of COVID and corona?  Well managed, COVID 19 has an R0 value <1 meaning it does not spread at all well.  Better to say they spread like wildly inaccurate posts on forums.

 

OP, there should be no reason to mention games played or win rate as both are irrelevant to the outcomes your experienced.


Edited by malachi6, 27 May 2020 - 08:52 AM.


Tafute #11 Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:40 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 3046 battles
  • 69
  • [BTF2] BTF2
  • Member since:
    03-06-2019

View PostMrClark56, on 27 May 2020 - 08:23 AM, said:

#replayorgtfo#gitgud

You know that unicums often go to positions that are useless in competitive play, just to punish noobs/newbies who might expose themselves and be farmed from them?

 

People notice when a noob team lets them down, but they often forget that they would not be able to perform well on average if not for worse players who do not care about getting better.



Spurtung #12 Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View Postmalachi6, on 27 May 2020 - 07:51 AM, said:

Well managed, COVID 19 has an R0 value <1 meaning it does not spread at all well.

 

Citation needed.

Unless "well managed" means everyone staying home to completely halt the spreading, in which case R0 equals 0.



BattleMetalChris #13 Posted 27 May 2020 - 09:46 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 11102 battles
  • 7,980
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    05-18-2011

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 26 May 2020 - 04:18 PM, said:

 

One thing I always get reminded is that there are players who have an amount of patience that I simply don't have, though arguably that's.. not a bad thing. It shocks me how other players can simply sit and stare at the exact same position, blindly ignoring everything else in the battle going on around them, waiting for that one moment in 5-10 Minutes that an enemy enters their line of sight. I like to imagine they're sitting there telling their team "Don't worry, one day someone will poke in front of me!". :teethhappy:

 

I blame skill4ltu saying 'patience fellas, is perfectly fine' a lot.


Edited by BattleMetalChris, 27 May 2020 - 09:47 AM.


malachi6 #14 Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 51526 battles
  • 4,684
  • Member since:
    04-14-2011

View PostSpurtung, on 27 May 2020 - 09:46 AM, said:

 

Citation needed.

Unless "well managed" means everyone staying home to completely halt the spreading, in which case R0 equals 0.

 

Sorry:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52473523

 

The graph towards the bottom of the article shows once the lockdown started (managed), the R0 fell below 1.

 

 


Edited by malachi6, 27 May 2020 - 10:07 AM.


Spurtung #15 Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:09 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View Postmalachi6, on 27 May 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

 

Sorry:

 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52473523

 

The graph towards the bottom of the article shows once the lockdown started (managed), the R0 fell below 1.

 

 

 

No sh...if everyone's in lockdown, then that shouldn't come as a surprise, should it?

Thing being, how would you "manage" with people refusing to stay in? You wouldn't, so the "management" is an illusion.

 

Going back to your first statement, nothing "spreads at all well" if there's nobody outside to begin with, so it's a really bad conclusion to get at concerning how infectious something is so much was done to prevent it. Do nothing and see how "not infectious" it really is.


Edited by Spurtung, 27 May 2020 - 12:09 PM.


NUKLEAR_SLUG #16 Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:22 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 37251 battles
  • 6,377
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015
Some of the ostensibly 'bad' players can at times be the most difficult to deal with because their irrational decision making leaves them dangerously unpredictable.

MrClark56 #17 Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 8288 battles
  • 2,615
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    09-17-2013

Lol... wtf is this thread on about again?!?!?.. it sorta derailed on infection ratios...

 



Bulldog_Drummond #18 Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 36234 battles
  • 12,215
  • [DRATT] DRATT
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 27 May 2020 - 09:22 AM, said:

Some of the ostensibly 'bad' players can at times be the most difficult to deal with because their irrational decision making leaves them dangerously unpredictable.

 

I remember when I was learning how to fence at school being told by our fencing master that the most skilled fencer in the world would always beat the second most skilled.  But that the best fencer might perhaps be beaten by a complete novice who did not understand the rules.

On Lake Encounter if I see that the enemy has poor players and I have a reasonably fast TD I will often go to the stupid position and camp the valley as some of them are bound to come that way, and I can go to the city later.

I find that you can also generally expect at least one or two players to sit on base throughout any game so it needs to be approached with caution.



Spurtung #19 Posted 27 May 2020 - 12:47 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 27 May 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

I find that you can also generally expect at least one or two players to sit on base throughout any game so it needs to be approached with caution.

 

Because maps allow that.

 

Too often the winners from the brawling fight come out of it licking their wounds only to be met by full health TDs in advantageous camping positions near their cap, with hard cover, bushes and higher ground. Try to cap? Boom. Try to rush them? Boom. Sometimes the "solution" is to draw the match, meaning the ones deserving to win are prevented from doing so.



DiSaBor #20 Posted 27 May 2020 - 11:14 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 22590 battles
  • 171
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

Fjords, south spawn.

8 minutes has passed. We took center, cleared the field, and went to enemy base.

I took an approch within the houses... Only to firstly spot a T95.... in D1.... :facepalm:

BEHIND his base, hidden in a bush, near a rock.

 

Capture.PNG

 

He had waited the entire game doing nothing.

With his inpenetrable front and golden camping location, we could neither dig him out, nor kill enemy more vulnerable tanks in base.

I went back to the center, tried to help my team from the middle gap (F4 F3), only to find my teammates were also shootable and killed by the camping T95.

he carried the game. Without travelling more than 200 meters. 

He must have felt like a hero after the battle :facepalm:

22:15 Added after 1 minute

View PostSpurtung, on 27 May 2020 - 12:47 PM, said:

 

Because maps allow that.

 

Too often the winners from the brawling fight come out of it licking their wounds only to be met by full health TDs in advantageous camping positions near their cap, with hard cover, bushes and higher ground. Try to cap? Boom. Try to rush them? Boom. Sometimes the "solution" is to draw the match, meaning the ones deserving to win are prevented from doing so.

Looks like my example is exactly what you said






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users