A heads up on some pretty creepy detective work being carried out in General chat!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

SastusBulbas #1 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:37 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36933 battles

I will 1st off admit, this guy has wound me up a few times over this year, from questionable replies when talking about my son whom I platoon with, to the wild claims he makes against players cheats and WG, even though his own account contradicts it, and every so often it seems to get creepier and more questionable the way he goes on.

Last night for example, he starts his usual wind up of paying players and cheeky wind up banter, except Im not in the mood after previous responses had me question his motivations and agenda in general chat, and he doesnt like my straight to the point replies and cheek I guess. So he states in chat, he has been looking me up with an IP checker, now my address and where I live work etc isnt something I post or chat about, so this banter quickly turned sour.

Who the hell claims to be looking up a players IP? And he did prove he had done so by posting in general chat General chat the area where I live. Then the usual banter about how much of a dump the place is etc. He went off after saying a few things. I logged off because after stating a residential area and mentioning my mother, I get I would probably start swearing. If he had not proven he was looking up players residential areas I would have just slandered him back on the mum thing, but if he can look me up and tell general chat the area I am residing within, I doubt he just did it casually off the peg to me as a single individual, so what is he doing by continually winding players up in general chat and searching for their areas of residence?

Except, there we are again tonight, I dont like it, I even state in chat about his IP checking and he goes on about this and that and as usual we are all pointing out discrepancies, except he then asks if I want him to post my full address in general chat.

Thats getting a liitle out of hand considering his previous claim and fact that he did state a place a little to close to comfort from his apparent looking me up.

Now we all know how bad banter and chat get, how slander and making a fool out of anything and everything seems to be the norm until a mod turns up in general chat, get ribbed and rib back, keep paying, fine you keep botting etc, some worse, I keep getting irritated and reply to the OMG Hax, WG conspire against me, premium players get wins and better RNG stuff, players getting roudy and whatever, but stating your looking someone up, stating an area that player is in, how? I guess its always the way with this game. We have a bad game or good game, we vent share of let of steam or just waste time in chat or the forum.

I am so tempted to name him, obviously that wont go well as we know there is more chance of me getting punished than this creepy looking up players address thing. Personally he creeps me out, how he has responded to everything. I should appologise but his demeanor and reply once did have me ask his intentions in chat with regards to younger players.

If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, its a duck. A popular statement in my circles.

So how the hell did this player find out what area I was gaming in?  Should I be worried, I dont know if he is some sort of creep, sex offender, criminal, he had a solid 45% win rate account with thousands of battles and constantly belittles paying players hence the banter gets a bit slanderous, at times like some disgruntled bot looking for like minded players to agree with him, sure chat can get rude and out of hand, but looking up players areas of residence and posting it in general chat. I am sure he mentioned some time back he wasnt a younger player, which makes the way he goes on about the rigged game and paying players every time some new player pipes up rigged/hax/p2w even more weird.

Happy to be belittled slandered and called whatever in jest and all, but to be getting "investigated" by some creepy dude in general chat....

How the hell did he find my area of residence via an IP checker program as he claimed?  He posted it, he got it right, I made out he was wrong but fact is he wasnt.

Can anyone explain how some random dude in general chat can look a player up either in game or via the forum and find their IP address and area of residence?

My appologies for the incoherent rambling and ranting and badly worded topic, I am genuinely wound up now.

Edit, and thats me up at 5am for a 12h shift and still only at lvl 12 on Frontline as I was foolish enough to go in general chat while having a Coffee.

Edited by SastusBulbas, 28 May 2020 - 12:42 AM.

Kdingo #2 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:41 AM

General

• Player
  • 33192 battles
General Chat... people really use it for anything else but trolling  nowadays?

DiSaBor #3 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22590 battles

Just a poor guy who has nothing else to do in his life...

Even if he know your residense area, what could he do ?

Ignore him, and he will get bored and find someone else...

I had one game, where I 1v1 circled a O-Ni with my type-64 and enjoyed the farm.

After the game the guy was keeping messeging me for 1 hour or so, insulting me out of desperation, and threatened to send me CoronaVirus, if I dare share my adress.

Well, I was having fun talking to him, seeing him becoming more mad overtime.

Edited by DiSaBor, 28 May 2020 - 12:48 AM.

Private_Miros #4 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29605 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87
You're from Scotland, close to Edinburgh. Had to look hard for that. Lot's of magic and computer wizardry involved.

DiSaBor #5 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22590 battles

View PostKdingo, on 28 May 2020 - 12:41 AM, said:

General Chat... people really use it for anything else but trolling  nowadays?

Yeah I was about to say that too. But kinda unrelated to OP's poste

SastusBulbas #6 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:52 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Beta Tester
  • 36933 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM, said:

You're from Scotland, close to Edinburgh. Had to look hard for that. Lot's of magic and computer wizardry involved.

So  guess its some easy little thing that many can do which I should not care about?

DiSaBor #7 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:54 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22590 battles

View PostSastusBulbas, on 28 May 2020 - 12:52 AM, said:

So  guess its some easy little thing that many can do which I should not care about?

Lol that is in your open information in the forum  :D

Kdingo #8 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:54 AM

General

• Player
  • 33192 battles

View PostDiSaBor, on 28 May 2020 - 12:46 AM, said:

Yeah I was about to say that too. But kinda unrelated to OP's poste

Unrelated.... hmmm.

I mean if you wallow in mud you shouldn't be surprised to get dirty.

And general chat is kinda like a hog pen. Just don't go there.

Private_Miros #9 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:56 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29605 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostSastusBulbas, on 27 May 2020 - 11:52 PM, said:

It's on your forum profile. You just need to click your name.

It's specific, it also doesn't say much. The guy's checked your forum profile and is getting to you that way.

DiSaBor #10 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:57 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 22590 battles

View PostKdingo, on 28 May 2020 - 12:54 AM, said:

Unrelated.... hmmm.

I think the only time I opened General Chat is when I miss clicked...

Totally agree with you 

Balc0ra #11 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:59 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77699 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

We all know where you live. You listed it in your profile. I mean I can go on the WOT discord and search for people there, and poke around on other profiles they have linked for more bio info. If someone I chat with in General uses the same name on Discord. You might get more info about him then he might care to share.

But not via the client. The client doesn't send your IP to others from him to find that via the game to point your location for that to be a worry.

Edited by Balc0ra, 28 May 2020 - 01:00 AM.

Private_Miros #12 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:05 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29605 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View PostKdingo, on 27 May 2020 - 11:54 PM, said:

Unrelated.... hmmm.

While I kind of agree with the sentiment, without sensible voices, general chat is the flat earth society.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37138 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostSastusBulbas, on 28 May 2020 - 12:52 AM, said:

All general chat communication is relayed thru WG servers and they do not publish your IP address. There is no way for him to know your IP address unless you were to initiate a direct connection to a machine he is in control of. Even if he knew your IP address that would only allow him to lookup what ISP is allocated that block range and give him a general geographical area.

Basically he's bullshitting you. 

Bulldog_Drummond #14 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:14 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36183 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

http://www.flamewarriorsguide.com/

Propeller Head knows just about everything there is to know about computers and the internet, and is a little mystified that you don't. Often an inarticulate and clumsy fighter he is still much to be feared because with a few deft keystrokes he can reduce your computer to a smoking heap of ruined metal.

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 28 May 2020 - 01:15 AM.

Hyina #15 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66508 battles
It's pretty easy to find out IP address tbh. Just ignore the trolls and don't let yourself or your son click any links they send you.

Gruff_ #16 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:46 AM

Major

• Player
  • 25886 battles
  • [W0WW] W0WW

View PostSastusBulbas, on 28 May 2020 - 12:37 AM, said:

My appologies for the incoherent rambling and ranting and badly worded topic, I am genuinely wound up now.

That's why you have a black list.  If you have recieved any personal threat type pm's forward them to support. 

Balc0ra #17 Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:19 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77699 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostGruff_, on 28 May 2020 - 01:46 AM, said:

That's why you have a black list.  If you have recieved any personal threat type pm's forward them to support. 

Indeed. If he has been an issue for ages. Just use the blacklist for you and your son on him. Send screens of the chat to support if he did PM you.

As if you can't see him, he won't trigger you anymore. He will instead get triggered by the lack of response. As I suspect that's the kind of guy he is.

Hyina #18 Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:22 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66508 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 28 May 2020 - 02:19 AM, said:

Indeed. If he has been an issue for ages. Just use the blacklist for you and your son on him. Send screens of the chat to support if he did PM you.

As if you can't see him, he won't trigger you anymore. He will instead get triggered by the lack of response. As I suspect that's the kind of guy he is.

I usually reply to the countless rant PMs I get with: "who u?" 

Triggers them no end

TheMaroko1337 #19 Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:00 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17197 battles
Guys, do you think it will work if we PM all arty player by revealing where they live to stop playing arta as WG dont want to at least make it to one arta max per game (not 2 not 3) ?

unhappy__bunny #20 Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:19 AM

Brigadier

• 21382 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-

Closing this thread as it is not gameplay related but is more of a warning about the types of person that inhabits places like General Chat. 

The only recourse we have, as players, in this situation is to take a screenshot of chat and raise a support ticket. 

The other thing we can do is to make sure we are careful with what we post on the internet, the usernames we choose, and to be aware that our own personal information is our own responsibility, don't leave it lying around where others can find it. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users