Jump to content


The Secret to Consistently Stronk Gameplay


  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Kingfish__ #1 Posted 28 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8206 battles
  • 75
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

I've realised one big problem in my gameplay is being consistent. For example, last night in the Leopard PTA I had a good run, average WN8 5700+ over 5 games. But the day before I had 4 games where I barely got a shot in. So in 24 hours I've been a deep red tomato for a whole evening, and a super unicum for a whole evening. I'm having identity issues (and it can't just be the beer, although I do like to have a beer when tanking!).

So what's the secret to consistently stronk gameplay? Is a lot of it map knowledge? There's certain maps where I just don't feel comfortable, and I rarely do that well. 

I also often don't do well if my team is complete crap — so the Leopard PTA disaster a few days ago happened when my teams were awful 4 games in a row, all roflstomps (but that's no excuse to die with no damage). If it becomes obvious my team are mainly idiots, then I often end up joining them in that regard.

But top players seem to do consistently well even on bad tank/map matchups and in tomato teams — so what's the secret? You could say it's just practice — but if so, what learning/adapting happens as a result of that practice? I'm 8k battles in and want to be more consistent.



kaneloon #2 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 33147 battles
  • 4,663
  • [CROWD] CROWD
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011

I will be sniped by some aluminum hunters, but I really am sure there is nothing random in the MM, it is too much one way then another, day after day.

As if WG wanted you to have some withdrawal syndrome. And I noticed that when I was losing, I played more battles in a row than when I am making good games. And playing worse and worse, but it only amplify an existing problem.

But I am surely wrong, yes, no doubt.



Tigerfish_Torpedo #3 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:15 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 37883 battles
  • 224
  • [D1CE] D1CE
  • Member since:
    10-08-2013

View Postkaneloon, on 28 May 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

but I really am sure there is nothing random in the MM, it is too much one way then another, day after day.

 

Dude, the forumites are gonna rip you to shreds over that comment... We may all think it from time to time, but you should never admit it!

 

Seriously though; I had the same thing happen earlier this week. Had one night where my win rate was an earth shattering 28%, yet less than 24 hours later I had a win streak of 22 games (night ended at a 92.8% win rate). Either I completely forgot how to play for 24 hours, or there are *dramatic music please* strange forces at work... dun, dun, dunnnn!  



Private_Miros #4 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:18 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29605 battles
  • 11,772
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

The non-aluminium translation of the kaneloon's comment is: don't play on tilt and don't get impatient.

 

That said, don't expect perfect consistent gameplay. It's all about increasing the number of good games, and that means taking risks. Good players tend to have relatively little average games, but mostly great games dotted by absolute disasters.

 

For example, my recent WN8 in the period that I've been logging on WN8 lab is 2839, but if you look at my game distribution, only 8,8% of my games are actually around that WN8:

 

 

If you compare that to better players, you'll see more purple and smaller other colours, but the relative distribution of the non purple remains about the same.



General_Jack_D_Ripper #5 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:24 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5227 battles
  • 204
  • Member since:
    08-21-2016

I would say it is about the tank.

 

Leopard is a team dependent tank. Doing reliably good is very hard.

My Type 4 is also team dependent. But for a different reason.

While Leo has no armor and really cannot be in first line for too long, Type has abysmal DPM and agility -> it needs support tanks around him.

 

If you want to do reliably good, you need a tank with decent armor (at least turret armor), spotting range, agility and dpm.


Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 28 May 2020 - 01:19 PM.


Private_Miros #6 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29605 battles
  • 11,772
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostTigerfish_Torpedo, on 28 May 2020 - 10:15 AM, said:

 

Dude, the forumites are gonna rip you to shreds over that comment... We may all think it from time to time, but you should never admit it!

 

Seriously though; I had the same thing happen earlier this week. Had one night where my win rate was an earth shattering 28%, yet less than 24 hours later I had a win streak of 22 games (night ended at a 92.8% win rate). Either I completely forgot how to play for 24 hours, or there are *dramatic music please* strange forces at work... dun, dun, dunnnn!  

 

WoT is a game where in the short term luck plays a huge role. This confuses and frustrates people, who like to be in control. And it confuses and frustrates people that don't understand how luck evens out and leaves any changes in the result more and more to depend on the only consistent element, the player.

 

Win rate in short battle numbers doesn't matter, only over longer periods does that matter. There is nothing strange about having a day with 28% win rate. Streaks happen in a random MM, same with the 92.8% win rate. A worse player had still won most of those, and a better player might have won one or two more. It's those one or two different with consistency that end up in differences in win rate over higher battle numbers.

 

So, it's ridiculously silly to say things like "I completely forgot how to play for 24 hours" if your performance itself wasn't worse than normal considering the circumstances. Because if it wasn't, then you still won more than a worse player would have.



Tigerfish_Torpedo #7 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:40 AM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 37883 battles
  • 224
  • [D1CE] D1CE
  • Member since:
    10-08-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 28 May 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

So, it's ridiculously silly to say things like "I completely forgot how to play for 24 hours" if your performance itself wasn't worse than normal considering the circumstances. Because if it wasn't, then you still won more than a worse player would have.

 

I was speaking more 'tongue-in-cheek', than with any degree of seriousness, my friend.

 

I'm quite well aware that my gameplay was relatively consistent over both days - that's why I'm genuinely not complaining about it, and simply taking the rough with the smooth in my own little way... Who knows what today will bring? But that's the fun part, right? That's the adventure! Chasing those wins... 



_Signal_ #8 Posted 28 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 49451 battles
  • 6,863
  • [S3AL] S3AL
  • Member since:
    07-14-2011
Just about map position and situational awareness.. As the legend Kenny said, you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em..

Ricox #9 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

    Corporal

  • Beta Tester
  • 1344 battles
  • 175
  • Member since:
    07-22-2010

As far as I can see from my limited experience, it's almost entirely down to being in locations and situations where you can do damage without taking damage. So - map positioning, situational awareness, being aggressive but in smart ways (stupid aggressive - rushing Malinovka open field with a heavy; smart aggressive - rushing Malinovka center downhill area in a low-profile medium with view range setup). Since the game is incredibly random, which is actually good for replayability value, things won't always go well even if you do all the right things.

 

You could have the most amazing positioning, but if the entire enemy team lemmings the other flank and suicides, you won't get to be very useful. Same if you push the right area and have team support, but suddenly your entire support stops moments before securing the area to take pointless shots, gets pinned and you're left all alone.

 

Obviously a lot more goes into this such as knowledge of game mechanics and the game in general (weakspots, enemy guns, reading team composition, angling/sidescraping etc.), but all of that knowledge isn't going to materialize if your positioning is inconsistent and poor, or you fail to properly respond to developments (for example, not falling back until it's too late).


Edited by Ricox, 28 May 2020 - 12:05 PM.


Space_Vato #10 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:28 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 4338 battles
  • 204
  • Member since:
    02-08-2019

Play a few bad rounds and the MM will put you in more favoring teams (and vice versa, play well for a few rounds and the MM will give you more challenging teams), just to keep the playerer interested...

 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ #random

 



Slyspy #11 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:33 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 15407 battles
  • 18,106
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    12-07-2011

View Postkaneloon, on 28 May 2020 - 11:05 AM, said:

I will be sniped by some aluminum hunters, but I really am sure there is nothing random in the MM, it is too much one way then another, day after day.

As if WG wanted you to have some withdrawal syndrome. And I noticed that when I was losing, I played more battles in a row than when I am making good games. And playing worse and worse, but it only amplify an existing problem.

But I am surely wrong, yes, no doubt.

 

View PostTigerfish_Torpedo, on 28 May 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

 

Dude, the forumites are gonna rip you to shreds over that comment... We may all think it from time to time, but you should never admit it!

 

Seriously though; I had the same thing happen earlier this week. Had one night where my win rate was an earth shattering 28%, yet less than 24 hours later I had a win streak of 22 games (night ended at a 92.8% win rate). Either I completely forgot how to play for 24 hours, or there are *dramatic music please* strange forces at work... dun, dun, dunnnn!  

 

Not going to rip anyone to shreds, but I will observe the following: If I play one game per day some days I will have a 100% WR and other days a 0% WR.



Jauhesammutin #12 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:37 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24287 battles
  • 1,233
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostKingfish__, on 28 May 2020 - 09:54 AM, said:

I've realised one big problem in my gameplay is being consistent. For example, last night in the Leopard PTA I had a good run, average WN8 5700+ over 5 games. But the day before I had 4 games where I barely got a shot in. So in 24 hours I've been a deep red tomato for a whole evening, and a super unicum for a whole evening. I'm having identity issues (and it can't just be the beer, although I do like to have a beer when tanking!).

So what's the secret to consistently stronk gameplay? Is a lot of it map knowledge? There's certain maps where I just don't feel comfortable, and I rarely do that well. 

I also often don't do well if my team is complete crap — so the Leopard PTA disaster a few days ago happened when my teams were awful 4 games in a row, all roflstomps (but that's no excuse to die with no damage). If it becomes obvious my team are mainly idiots, then I often end up joining them in that regard.

But top players seem to do consistently well even on bad tank/map matchups and in tomato teams — so what's the secret? You could say it's just practice — but if so, what learning/adapting happens as a result of that practice? I'm 8k battles in and want to be more consistent.

Stop playing so well and you'll have those constant red tomato stats :trollface:

11:44 Added after 7 minute

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 28 May 2020 - 10:18 AM, said:

 

For example, my recent WN8 in the period that I've been logging on WN8 lab is 2839, but if you look at my game distribution, only 8,8% of my games are actually around that WN8:

 

 

If you compare that to better players, you'll see more purple and smaller other colours, but the relative distribution of the non purple remains about the same.

 

Is 0 considered a distribution? Forgive me that 10,7%, I didn't play at my best after an 8-pack..



TheJ4ckal #13 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:47 PM

    Sergeant

  • Player
  • 5541 battles
  • 232
  • Member since:
    11-01-2014

Only play your best tanks, exclude maps and learn better strategy and patience from top players on twitch and YouTube.

And forget stats, that will affect your gameplay thinking about those instead of the game.

Oh and adapt during a game, never just play one way insisting it works.



Private_Miros #14 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29605 battles
  • 11,772
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostJauhesammutin, on 28 May 2020 - 11:37 AM, said:

Stop playing so well and you'll have those constant red tomato stats :trollface:

11:44 Added after 7 minute

 

Is 0 considered a distribution? Forgive me that 10,7%, I didn't play at my best after an 8-pack..

 

That's a good 12 battle session.



norbar #15 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 5428 battles
  • 61
  • Member since:
    06-03-2019

View PostKingfish__, on 28 May 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

I've realised one big problem in my gameplay is being consistent. For example, last night in the Leopard PTA I had a good run, average WN8 5700+ over 5 games. But the day before I had 4 games where I barely got a shot in. So in 24 hours I've been a deep red tomato for a whole evening, and a super unicum for a whole evening. I'm having identity issues (and it can't just be the beer, although I do like to have a beer when tanking!).

So what's the secret to consistently stronk gameplay? Is a lot of it map knowledge? There's certain maps where I just don't feel comfortable, and I rarely do that well. 

I also often don't do well if my team is complete crap — so the Leopard PTA disaster a few days ago happened when my teams were awful 4 games in a row, all roflstomps (but that's no excuse to die with no damage). If it becomes obvious my team are mainly idiots, then I often end up joining them in that regard.

But top players seem to do consistently well even on bad tank/map matchups and in tomato teams — so what's the secret? You could say it's just practice — but if so, what learning/adapting happens as a result of that practice? I'm 8k battles in and want to be more consistent.

 

The secret imho is not getting frustrated when there are no opportunities to make plays. This makes you dead. Sometimes it's literally better to wait for enemy plays. Especially with tanks like the Leo which is paper. I have the same problem. There are no openings, enemies are not pushing and I Die. Or I start try to hard to defend on flanks where there are no spots to defend. Forcing play is bad. 

 

Also if you are tilted to for some easy play tank. 



Kingfish__ #16 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:13 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8206 battles
  • 75
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

View Postnorbar, on 28 May 2020 - 12:01 PM, said:

 

The secret imho is not getting frustrated when there are no opportunities to make plays. 


That's really true — sometimes I watch streamers, and they'll say 'nothing I can do here at the moment' and just... wait. Sometimes that confuses me, I can't even see why there's nothing they can do — which is what currently separates them from me. I know in that situation I'd probably have pushed and ended up back in the garage. :)



JocMeister #17 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 29337 battles
  • 2,850
  • Member since:
    08-03-2015

View PostKingfish__, on 28 May 2020 - 10:54 AM, said:

I've realised one big problem in my gameplay is being consistent. For example, last night in the Leopard PTA I had a good run, average WN8 5700+ over 5 games. But the day before I had 4 games where I barely got a shot in. So in 24 hours I've been a deep red tomato for a whole evening, and a super unicum for a whole evening. I'm having identity issues (and it can't just be the beer, although I do like to have a beer when tanking!).

So what's the secret to consistently stronk gameplay? Is a lot of it map knowledge? There's certain maps where I just don't feel comfortable, and I rarely do that well. 

I also often don't do well if my team is complete crap — so the Leopard PTA disaster a few days ago happened when my teams were awful 4 games in a row, all roflstomps (but that's no excuse to die with no damage). If it becomes obvious my team are mainly idiots, then I often end up joining them in that regard.

But top players seem to do consistently well even on bad tank/map matchups and in tomato teams — so what's the secret? You could say it's just practice — but if so, what learning/adapting happens as a result of that practice? I'm 8k battles in and want to be more consistent.

 

1. Dont look at your stats. If you do ONLY pay attention to the 30+ days or more value. As you just discovered for yourself looking at stats on a day to day basis is completely meaningless.

2. Don´t play when tilted. You will never ever play well when you are tilted or frustrated. Just don´t.

3. Map knowledge and awareness are probably the most important things. The good players can predict what is going to happen and can act on it before it happens. This can only come from experience but you can "train yourself" at looking at the minimap every 5-10 seconds. Its just like when you are driving a car. Every 5 seconds or so you scan all mirrors to see what happens around your car.

4. Minimap is your best friend.

5. Minimap is your best friend.

6. Look at the starting lineup. What tank are you in? What tanks do they have? Where will they most likely go? Whats the best position for you? How many arty is there? Etc etc. There is so much into this its hard to explain in one post.

7. If you know its stupid and/or risky don´t do it.

8. Save your HP. Don´t trade 1 for 1 early game unless its for a very good reason.

9. Patience my lovely friends...

10. Its perfectly fine to retreat. If you play a game and you come across a hull down S.conq or something just go somewhere else. 

11. Its okay to play passively. If you are bottom tier in say a Panther II its perfectly fine to sit back a while and see how the game develops while you look for opportunities.

12. Not all games can be great or even good. Sometimes the MM puts you in a situation where its almost impossible to do something. Acknowledge this and just try to scrape what little you can from the game without letting it get to you.


Edited by JocMeister, 28 May 2020 - 01:22 PM.


Kingfish__ #18 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 8206 battles
  • 75
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-08-2016

View Post_Signal_, on 28 May 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

Just about map position and situational awareness.. As the legend Kenny said, you gotta know when to hold em and know when to fold em..


I play poker like I play tanks — I start off pretty good, then after too many beers/whiskeys I throw caution to the wind and it all goes pear-shaped. Hang on there's a trend— maybe it is the beer after all. 



norbar #19 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:16 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 5428 battles
  • 61
  • Member since:
    06-03-2019

View PostKingfish__, on 28 May 2020 - 01:13 PM, said:


That's really true — sometimes I watch streamers, and they'll say 'nothing I can do here at the moment' and just... wait. Sometimes that confuses me, I can't even see why there's nothing they can do — which is what currently separates them from me. I know in that situation I'd probably have pushed and ended up back in the garage. :)

 

For me now the bigger problem is forcing tanks into their obvious role despite team and map. IE taking VK1001p to a heavy brawl when that brawl is lost unless the enemy team goes AFK. I know I have this issue. Much easier for me to play with lights and camo meds for that reason. 



Jauhesammutin #20 Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 24287 battles
  • 1,233
  • [KANKI] KANKI
  • Member since:
    11-05-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 28 May 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

 

That's a good 12 battle session.

That session was 15 battles. Half of it in the blue sector.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users