Came back after 3 years of not playing - Observations

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Masternaut #1 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:43 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

1. Arty is still the biggest problem in the game. 1 per side at tier 10 should be absolute maximum. 

2. Games are very short. One team usually gets steamrolled in under 5 minutes.

3. Powercreep is getting out of hand. Tracked lights are obsolete? Meds with better armor than heavies etc. 

4. Strange meta shifts in some maps. 

5. It does feel like RNG is scaled back a bit. I have not really got [edited]by RNG like I used to. Or at least it feels like that.

6. Some locations on maps that used to work don't work any more. Still getting used to and learning both new maps and old maps. 

EDIT: Just to let everyone reading this post know; I admit I still have to learn the new maps and changes made to old maps. Also I have not bothered to check the stats of basically any new tanks (Italian, Polish, Swedis meds, British lights, wheeled lights, new Russian tanks, new premium and reward tanks) which off course affects my perception of the game and meta and the way I play against those tanks. 

Edited by Homer_J, 08 June 2020 - 05:59 PM.
Swearing

qpranger #2 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostMasternaut, on 28 May 2020 - 02:43 PM, said:

1. Arty is still the biggest problem in the game. 1 per side at tier 10 should be absolute maximum. 

3. Powercreep is getting out of hand. Tracked lights are obsolete? Meds with better armor than heavies etc. 

5. It does feel like RNG is scaled back a bit. I have not really got [edited] by RNG like I used to. Or at least it feels like that.

6. Some locations on maps that used to work don't work any more. Still getting used to and learning both new maps and old maps. 

Not a word about wheelies??

Masternaut #3 Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

View Postqpranger, on 28 May 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Not a word about wheelies??

Thats why I said lights with tracks feel obsolete. I don't have a problem wheelies per se but they enable bad players to play bad playstyle without getting punished by it, which is not good. 

WindSplitter1 #4 Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21755 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY

View PostMasternaut, on 28 May 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

5. It does feel like RNG is scaled back a bit. I have not really got fucked by RNG like I used to. Or at least it feels like that.

1 - There's a myriad of other things which are far worse than 5 lines spanning up to 3 vehicles per match. You listed many of them. 7 TDs is possible and it's far worse than 3 SPGs.

2 - Agreed.

3 - Tracked LTs aren't obsolete (nor are WVs OP). They were nerfed in 9.17. Reversing those nerfs would make tracked LTs competitive again. MTs with more armour than HTs... things like that are the exception. Not the rule.

4 - This is the result of poor map design and several other aspects you have listed. But especially poor map design

5 - Still +/-25%

6 - And vice versa. As per point 4.

Sorry, folks. I like lists.

Masternaut #5 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:07 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 28 May 2020 - 03:12 PM, said:

1 - There's a myriad of other things which are far worse than 5 lines spanning up to 3 vehicles per match. You listed many of them. 7 TDs is possible and it's far worse than 3 SPGs.

2 - Agreed.

3 - Tracked LTs aren't obsolete (nor are WVs OP). They were nerfed in 9.17. Reversing those nerfs would make tracked LTs competitive again. MTs with more armour than HTs... things like that are the exception. Not the rule.

4 - This is the result of poor map design and several other aspects you have listed. But especially poor map design

5 - Still +/-25%

6 - And vice versa. As per point 4.

Sorry, folks. I like lists.

1. I think 3 arty per game is much worse than 10 TD per game. Before making this thread I played one game with WZ 1-5 and one with IS-7. Lost all hitpoints in both games. Took a total of 3 hits from other than artillerytanks. Not 3 hits per game but 3 hits total in both games. Getting bombarded by 3 arties is not a fun experience. "Well stay behind cover" you say: to that I answer a) it's not fun gameplay for me or the enemy and even bigger b) quite hard to do in Steppes.

Tankdestroyers you can at least outplay fairly easily. There isn't many very versatile jack of all trades tankdestroyers in the game. The only way to "outplay" arty is to hide behind a building or a rock and hope that he misses you when you peek for a shot. 

3. I feel like the EBR does everything a light is supposed to do and is the best in doing it, mainly being able to being the fastest to take positions on the maps and having enough firepover combined with mobility to be able to defend those positions. On top of that they enable some :P suicidescouts to drive through and kill/spot the other teams backline. In the good old days most of those suicidescouts were dead. 

equinox42 #6 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:21 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1984 battles
  • [LGBTQ] LGBTQ
I play from time to time still, and wonder why you come back? Also, is it much different?

kaneloon #7 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:26 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33197 battles
  • [CROWD] CROWD
Most heavies are just too slow and can't escape the combination of meds, arties, ebr and tds.

Masternaut #8 Posted 29 May 2020 - 12:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

View Postequinox42, on 29 May 2020 - 12:21 AM, said:

I play from time to time still, and wonder why you come back? Also, is it much different?

I wanted to get some shots off with the JgPZ E100:justwait: and you know after a long getting some good games (7100 damage with T57, 5500 damage with T-54 etc.) the feeling is quite addictive.

It feels like the same game but in a different way. I feel like the meta has taken some huge changes mainly due to new tanks and map changes. 

drakkanax #9 Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16718 battles

I was out of the game for 2.5y and returned in February. For the most part my observations were very similar. Maps terrain is quite different and "magically" convex. Which makes a lot of old locations unworkable anymore. Also the lemming rushes that lead to steamrolling battles make tank/location "meta" useless in many cases. 

WV in game are plain retarded, because they magically absorb damage. Go watch on youtube what the real EBR is and see the differences with the monstrosities in game.. try to imagine it bounding a 122mm shell... like ever... or making a 15G turn that would make SU-27 jealous.

My main issue is RNG. In my experience, it's actually worse as it compounds more factors now. Second worst problem for me is power creep. Frankly I don't want to participate in a game/community that lacks the standards to object it. I guess I'd be fed up by this game by a month or two and leave again, likely for good from the looks of it. 

shikaka9 #10 Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 79490 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-
Game is great   , who paid you to say such bad things? 

gazzer21 #11 Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43030 battles
  • [RDDTY] RDDTY

I have returned after a long break of several years. 

More gold spam than ever,

WV killed light tanks with noob play and no penalties , hit wheels should be a transmission break and stationary like being tracked

Super Heavy tanks are a bit pointless these days with the gold and the speed of some of the tanks let alone the wv . if nothing else an increase in turret rotation speed would help a them a lot. 

community is still infested with keyboard warriors, even using spam accounts to abuse people after game

and they want to bring back the BL10  to tier 8 if you pay for it. wont be the best tank but some noob will sit at the back and mess your game up with his one and only shot

its no wonder people just move on 

On the other hand it looks better than it ever did .

Masternaut #12 Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:09 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

View Postshikaka9, on 29 May 2020 - 10:47 PM, said:

??? 

qpranger #13 Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View Postshikaka9, on 30 May 2020 - 12:47 AM, said:

Bill Gates.

demon_tank #14 Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 29265 battles
  • [PC-X] PC-X

View PostMasternaut, on 28 May 2020 - 11:43 AM, said:

5. It does feel like RNG is scaled back a bit. I have not really got fucked by RNG like I used to. Or at least it feels like that.

EDIT: Just to let everyone reading this post know; I admit I still have to learn the new maps and changes made to old maps. Also I have not bothered to check the stats of basically any new tanks (Italian, Polish, Swedis meds, British lights, wheeled lights, new Russian tanks, new premium and reward tanks) which off course affects my perception of the game and meta and the way I play against those tanks. 

1. Two Arty per battle can also work. Still better than three. Combined with an Arty rebalance/nerff it will make the game better.

2. Games will always be shorter and steamrolls will be more common with low population servers (compared to the RU servers).

3. Powercreep is invevitable to a point. But WG does it best to make it worse cause their Balancing department is a bunch of useless muppets. Plus WG has a Russian bias which creates the "Object" problem.

5. RNG is definately NOT scaled back. It still one of the biggest issues with the game imho. 25% is way to much. It should be 20% MAX.

Edited by demon_tank, 31 May 2020 - 11:09 AM.

Kdingo #15 Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles

View Postdemon_tank, on 31 May 2020 - 11:08 AM, said:

5. RNG is definately NOT scaled back. It still one of the biggest issues with the game imho. 25% is way to much. It should be 20% MAX.

Never been much of this kinda rng fan myself, but in honesty... if they lower it to 20% their balancing department would have a meltdown

Masternaut #16 Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24431 battles

View PostKdingo, on 31 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

Never been much of this kinda rng fan myself, but in honesty... if they lower it to 20% their balancing department would have a meltdown

lol true. I'm not a fan of RNG myself either, how ever I feel like aiming and accuracy in the game is fairly balanced. The thing I mostly have a problem is damage RNG. I know it works both ways but personally I would have no problem with not getting those +25% highrolls if it means I won't get [edited] by -25% lowrolls. 

Edited by Dava_117, 31 May 2020 - 07:46 PM.
Vulgar Language

MajorFaffmoist #17 Posted 02 June 2020 - 03:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38191 battles
  • [-DGN-] -DGN-

RNG is one thing but the MM is clearly a Stevie Wonder clone at times.

How the hell can they say a game , with a city in the map, without ANY heavies at all, is the way this game should be played ? Tiers 8 n 9 too. The game lasted 3 mins 54 seconds. WG you have lost the plot. Each side had 3 arty, 5 lights v 4 lights ( both had 2 wheeled ), 4 v 5 TD's and the balance ( if u can call it that of meds ). One sides meds were all auto loaders ( Stand B, Burlesque thingy and P'etto ) v 1 auto loader (Lor 40t )

UserZer00 #18 Posted 02 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14971 battles

I think it's more balance that is the biggest problem in the game,

a. Vehicle balance (per class)

b. Vehicle balance (per function)

c. Vehicle function (per national focus / strength)

d. Team balance

e. Map balance

f. Skill balance

g. Economy balance (not the grind, basic game economy. More along the lines of ridiculously high bidding during auctions, etc.)

Sure, arty and wv can be annoying, but I think they are just a small part of the overall balance issue rather than the main issues.

See #1. Balance the overall game and get less steam rolls

See #1.  Balance the tanks or at least balance their basic functions (heavies = armor, mediums = flexibility, lights = spotting via speed or view range, etc. (rough ideas only, not absolutes))

Of course, it would help if they would stop adding new tanks to the game, at least while focusing on balancing it, but this won't happen.

I think it's good that the map strategies shift with the latest Youtube videos showing exploits or different tactics.  If every map was or had to be played the same way all the time then that would be a problem.

5. It does feel like RNG is scaled back a bit. I have not really got [edited]by RNG like I used to. Or at least it feels like that.

You haven't been back long enough. The rose colored glasses are still in effect.  RNG is just as good / bad as it used to be.

It's neither for or against you, it's just there.  Some days it's there pretending to be your friend and other days it's there pretending to be your worst enemy.

However, you are free to invest in tin foil, sacrifice Fort Knox packages to RNJesus or try anything you want.

Well, since people usually know all the "spots that work" and blind fire at them or stay away from them it can be in your favor if you are trying other places.  It's more about watching the minimap and reacting to what you can divine from the little green and red dots displayed before you.

Just my two cents worth.  Definitely not anything fixed in stone.

Edited by Homer_J, 08 June 2020 - 05:58 PM.
Swearing

drakkanax #19 Posted 08 June 2020 - 04:35 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16718 battles

View PostKdingo, on 31 May 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

It was 15%(I think. might have been several different ones lower then 15%) before they bumped it to flat 25%.

Homer_J #20 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:57 PM

Field Marshal

• 33938 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostMasternaut, on 29 May 2020 - 12:07 AM, said:

1. I think 3 arty per game is much worse than 10 TD per game. Before making this thread I played one game with WZ 1-5 and one with IS-7. Lost all hitpoints in both games. Took a total of 3 hits from other than artillerytanks.

You didn't lose all your hitpoints to arty, not in the current game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users