Remodel Skins

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Full_ControI #1 Posted 29 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles
Well hello there!
I have been looking for good looking 430U remodel for quite a while now and I keep struggling to find one.
I know about the wgmods t-80U/t-90 remodels, but personally i find them unattractive(especially the 80U). There's also atacms' UML thread which has a t-72 and a t-80BV remodel, but those are outdated to the point they're not even HD. And then, there's the remodels for literally every other ru med:
the 430---> t-64(https://wgmods.net/345/)
the 140---> t-72A/B(https://wgmods.net/3393/, best one imo)
and the 907---> t-80B(https://wgmods.net/3346)
All great looking skins, without all the clutter of the 80U/90, imo
So my question is, how can i make either of those 3 remodels work on the 430U? Or, if anyone knows an already up and running remodel of these tanks for the 430u , I'd be more than grateful for a download link to it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS: I am not trying to say the ppl who made the t-80U and t-90 reskins did a bad job, the detail on them is fantastic, it's just that those particular variants of the tanks are not appealing to me.

Edited by Full_ControI, 29 May 2020 - 11:01 PM.

atacms #2 Posted 30 May 2020 - 04:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4907 battles

I also prefer the cleaner ones. always wanted the early version of t-72, without that Dolly Parton armor but WT doesn't have it. 

t-64 is easy. it was compatible with UML at the beginning. the required UML profile is packed with every UML release already.

there was even a sub version with hotkey animation. but that one is not uploaded to wgmods. it was on his website but that site is down for years.

The problem is Mirukii later decided to pack an xml into the wotmod pack, making it prone to issues caused by WoT update. it also forces you to swap 430 in the process.

so,

1. open this wotmod with winrar, remove the scripts folder under res.
  2. edit <Mirukii_T-64A> inside ownModel.xml . config and activate it properly.

t-80b/bv used my t-80u chassis so you might be able to simply copy the turret_01.model over to the t-80u folder and overwrite it.that will turn the t80u profile into t80b/bv

the t-80b/bv should also be installed at the same time, for that path is where the mesh and texture are actually called.

I like t-80u over other varians of t-80 because it's the super OP tank featured in M1 Tank Platoon II

Edited by atacms, 30 May 2020 - 06:17 AM.

Full_ControI #3 Posted 30 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles
Cheers mate! The t-64 works perfectly. It was getting a bit stale playing the 430u with the bland skin WG gave the tank

Also, if you don't mind me asking, would it be possible to make an UML profile for the t-72A skin? As in, could an average Joe like me do it? 
As far as I can tell there is a folder that converts xml's to uml profiles in your mod, so I assume it could just be a matter of modifying the .xml in that mod so that i can paste it in the UML Profiles folder and create a new profile instead of crashing the game.

I doubt it's actually that simple, but, you miss every shot you don't take.

atacms #4 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:40 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4907 battles

not that difficult. procedure is in UML's release post, under [Build new configurations]

a rough run down:

copy and rename a profile under UMLprofiles folder to use as starter template. rename not only the filename but also the profile name under <models> node

install the obj140->t72a mod

obtain a replay of obj140 (wotreplays.eu). play it then exit game.

obtain @dumpedchassis.txt from game root directory. use its content to edit your new profile. namely the chassis config and optional <DrivenJoints>

edit the rest of your new profile with contents found in the obj140 xml packed inside the t72a mod

if there's a certain node in profile file that you can't find a counterpart in either @dumpedchassis.txt nor obj140 xml then it's probably optional. you can delete it or leave it.

Full_ControI #5 Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles
Well, I followed your steps, and I'm glad to say I've more or less done it. I tested it on my lt-432 and I found some issues with engine/gun sounds, plus some camo textures being a bit skewed and marks not showing up properly, but I guess I'll just have to tinker with the example.xml until everything is good to go. At least I got the basics right.

But anyways, thanks again for the help(and the mod really, I couldn't even consider remodelling the 430u without it).

PS: Since you mentioned you are looking for an early t-72 skin, perhaps you might consider using the t-72A as a default in your UML instead of the ArmA t-72 until one comes out. After all, it's not too different.

catlikehana #6 Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21905 battles

It's a little off topic but how do you handle shooting weakpoints with these types of mods? 

since this remodels it to something else..

Full_ControI #7 Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:22 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles

View Postmoenie, on 31 May 2020 - 12:05 AM, said:

It's a little off topic but how do you handle shooting weakpoints with these types of mods? 

Not that big of an issue when you dont aim for cupolas in the first place. Heat just cheeses through the roofs and cheeks, and those two stay in roughly the same spot with or without the remodels
Plus, on a 430u there are no weakpoints to begin with, so one more reason to want to use a remodel, since the vanilla skin is just bland 
Actually, the biggest issue when you use these remodels on the 140/907(430u and 430 have mid mounted turrets so they're fine) is that your turret, and therefore your gun is moved to the back, client-side. Serverside it's all where it should be. That can cause you to dump shots into walls when sidescraping or make you miss at 300+m when sniping while aiming sideways. Personally, I adjusted my aim/sidescraping just so I dont have to stare at the bucket-cupola'd abominations that are the 907/140. 
Also also, with the UML mod you can have just your 140 turned into a t-64, not all 140s.

PS: @atacms, I tried fixing the sound/MoE on the profile I made and now it won't even appear in ownModel.xml. I tried making a new profile from scratch but that wont' register either and I can't figure out what exactly is causing this. God has made me a big ol' dum-dum :( 

atacms #8 Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:59 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4907 battles

View Postmoenie, on 30 May 2020 - 11:05 PM, said:

by changing visual model using UML instead of the conventional methods(xml or model file in-place swap) , you don't have this shooting weakpoints problem. only your own model got changed, not your enemy nor your teammates (unless you desire so for let's say shooting a game movie. there's a separate switch to control that. there you can assign remodels based on player's team, not what tank they are driving).

View PostFull_ControI, on 31 May 2020 - 12:22 AM, said:

PS: @atacms, I tried fixing the sound/MoE on the profile I made and now it won't even appear in ownModel.xml. I tried making a new profile from scratch but that wont' register either and I can't figure out what exactly is causing this. God has made me a big ol' dum-dum :( 

if there's any error loading a remodel profile, that remodel header gets deleted from ownModel.xml, to prevent a typo from disrupting the whole game. that's also how UML detects an uninstalled wotmod format model pack to prevent user from mistakenly invoking it.

so that means you made certain error in your last attempt to fix things, most likely a grammar error, but occasionally UML also look into the validity of the value. it's hard to say without knowing exactly what you put in there.   

Edited by atacms, 31 May 2020 - 05:03 AM.

Full_ControI #9 Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles

View Postatacms, on 31 May 2020 - 04:59 AM, said:

if there's any error loading a remodel profile, that remodel header gets deleted from ownModel.xml, to prevent a typo from disrupting the whole game. that's also how UML detects an uninstalled wotmod format model pack to prevent user from mistakenly invoking it.

so that means you made certain error in your last attempt to fix things, most likely a grammar error, but occasionally UML also look into the validity of the value. it's hard to say without knowing exactly what you put in there.   

I redid everything and now it the profile does at least show up in OwnModel.xml, but any tank i try to whitelist into it will crash the game if I select said tank in the garage.

I wish there was a way to show you what I did so I could find out what I screwed up so badly, but I guess my remodelling days are numbered regardless.

The only thing more prone to catastrophic failure than my "coding" skills are soviet carrousel ammoracks :D

Full_ControI #10 Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles

View PostFull_ControI, on 31 May 2020 - 01:08 PM, said:

I redid everything and now it the profile does at least show up in OwnModel.xml, but any tank i try to whitelist into it will crash the game if I select said tank in the garage.

I wish there was a way to show you what I did so I could find out what I screwed up so badly, but I guess my remodelling days are numbered regardless.

The only thing more prone to catastrophic failure than my "coding" skills are soviet carrousel ammoracks :D

https://imgur.com/a/A4UFGWd

Well, if you throw enough sht at a wall some of it will eventually stick, so I tried AGAIN and I managed to make it work in first place, fixed the MoE bug textures and the gun loading/firing sounds. The tracks also have sounds now but the engine for some reason doesn't. Might just resort to pasting the engine sound node from a vanilla is-7 or something, or deleting the node altogether
Still have to redo the decal/emblem nodes because I deleted them from the example.xml  to remove some bugged textures  and haven't put in the 140 ones yet to avoid crashes.
Also one of the winter camos is screwed up, but I noticed it has the same issue in the original 140 remodel so I probably wont touch it for safe measure since I don't use that particular camo anyway.

I noticed one thing though, example.xml has an <emblems> node with <emblem> subnodes while the 140.xml has a  <CustomizationSlots> node with <slot> subnodes
Do I just paste in the <CustomizationSlots> node or should I put the original <emblems> one back and then manually edit the parameters for each and every one?

LE: fixed engine sound bug by removing the <engine> node so it plays the vanilla sound of the tank the remodel is whitelisted to

Edited by Full_ControI, 01 June 2020 - 01:54 PM.

atacms #11 Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 4907 battles

use the old <emblemSlots> :: <slot> format.

when WoT introduced new <CustomizationSlots> around 1.3.x , the actual data structure loaded into the memory is essentially the old <emblemSlots> +  a new addition <anchorSlots>. UML assign anchors automatically so for better compatibility with old config, the old format is retained, even for new and future UML profiles.

Edited by atacms, 01 June 2020 - 02:52 PM.

Jagdtiger_Commander #12 Posted 23 July 2020 - 12:15 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44131 battles
  • [653RD] 653RD
Please does someone know if a conqueror pre-uparmoring is ready for downloading? i want the old conq so bad ! :arta:

Full_ControI #13 Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4643 battles
I think you can use UML to invoke the stock turret

Mirukii #14 Posted 23 July 2020 - 01:54 PM

Skin Guru

• Player
  • 36109 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostJagdtiger_Commander, on 23 July 2020 - 01:15 AM, said:

Please does someone know if a conqueror pre-uparmoring is ready for downloading? i want the old conq so bad ! :arta:

Since you already commented on my Skorp G and Cromwell Knight remodels about that I'm just gonna address it here; No, I don't have time for this.

Also the comments section on the official mod hub isn't a remodel request form to anyone seeing this.

Also tagged with Remodel, Skins

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users