how to cope with ... umm...less good teams?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

DiMtopia #1 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16877 battles
  • [1ADRM] 1ADRM

before every battle we all look at the line-ups, the minimap and make a mental plan of what you will do, then adapt as the battle unfolds.

for example, on kharkov, scout, i go to my preferred bush on west side of map thinking i'll spot for the tds in my team. on my way there i see that the tds (paper german waffles) are actually going city, however i'm followed by 2 meds that promptly take the sniping spot. all good i say, plan remains the same. so i take my bush and start spotting enemies, but i'm getting no assistance, cause my meds aren't shooting. so i wait a bit more as i point myself for an exit run. spot tanks some more and still no assistance. by this time all 3 waffles are dead in the city. somehow they figured the best strategy is to rush forward into enemy heavies. so seeing as i'm not getting any assistance and the enemy is getting more courageous and advancing, i start running and as i drive past my meds i see them actually pushing each other in a bush. apparently fighting for it. by this time score is 0-6 and 3/4 of the map are lost.

another example, prohorovka where i rush the hill from north camp thinking i'll get spots on the hill and maybe shots down the middle. but just as i reach the rails i realize arty and I are the only ones coming on this side. even worse, nobody is taking the mid spot near the rails and all of them are going to sniper alley on the 1-2 lanes. they already have a scout there so i'd be redundant. i waste some time (my fault here) trying to type in chat asking some people to take mid and to join hill. but by this time our scout is dead (cause he went too forward to spot where nobody could even shoot). my only chance is to actually spot for those corner campers so i make my way towards the 1-2 line but by the time i get there, their spotter is already in abush with cammo and binocs so no matter which way i try to approach i get outspotted. 

and there could be a lot more of these battles. i'm sure all of you had them.

the question is, what do you do the moment you realize your team has no intention or ability of winning the battle and it will be a bad loss?

not bashing or complaining about the team here. i genuinely want to know what to do. playing game as usual is impossible. carrying the game? 90% of the time i don't have the proper tank nor the ability to do so.

my strategy is to fall back to a safe position, use my team as meatshield and farm damage. problem is i'm not ok from a moral point of view to do that. i feel like i'm throwing the battle away not doing my best to win it. on the other hand my best probably wouldn't be enough and i wouldn't make a difference.

is there something else i should do? hopefully something that can improve the chances of winning?

TungstenHitman #2 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34130 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

1. Play as flexible and OP a tank as you can. A tank that can pretty much be the scout, the TD, the capper, the re-setter and the damage dealer all in one. A fast med typically and if it has a stronk turret the better but at least something mobile with good view range and camo and gun statistics. This stands to reason don't play a situational team reliant tank in other words since the team is a random unknown quantity and most players suck at this game, badly.

2. Get gudder.

3, Don't play

Gixxer66 #3 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20948 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

View PostDiMtopia, on 30 May 2020 - 04:25 PM, said

the question is, what do you do the moment you realize your team has no intention or ability of winning the battle and it will be a bad loss?

not bashing or complaining about the team here. i genuinely want to know what to do. playing game as usual is impossible. carrying the game? 90% of the time i don't have the proper tank nor the ability to do so.

my strategy is to fall back to a safe position, use my team as meatshield and farm damage. problem is i'm not ok from a moral point of view to do that. i feel like i'm throwing the battle away not doing my best to win it. on the other hand my best probably wouldn't be enough and i wouldn't make a difference.

is there something else i should do? hopefully something that can improve the chances of winning?

Find a position to farm as much damage as possible if the game is clearly a loss, losing 5 or 6 allies in the first engagement is normally a good indicator of how it's going to end.

There's no moral standpoint, if your team cared they would take up / fight for the key positions on any given map.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #4 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37215 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
You stop worrying about trying to win the unwinnable situation and instead use the remaining time to to inflict, as much damage on the enemy as you can to maximise your credits/xp/MoE. There's been plenty games that weren't particularly satisfying themselves outside of the beating you get to administer to an overconfident enemy who make the mistake of thinking you're going to be just one more easy kill at the end of the match. 

The_Naa #5 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 12222 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

i run into these most often in my Panther, i have good sniping spot, but i see that the battle is going bad for the team in one way for another, usually its pretty even.

but the key is Patience, just save your hit points. DO NOT HELP over extended team mates even if they ping you. they did the mistake and judged the situation wrongly and there for they will suffer for it. no need to go and ''try'' to help them just by throwing your tank to that lost cause.

has happened to me far too often, some STRV or another type of tank has the bright idea to push a flank alone, almost dies, pings me for help. i go and help, he runs away and dies on the way instead of trying to win that engagement and now i am alone and dead. GG.

no you do not care for your team, expect from toon mates because you know their worth and know they will help you in the future and dont just fade on you.

a hull HP Panther that is unspotted ''somewhere'' can carry a game in 10-13 situation. but just play with patience.

but if the team mate has a good plan and is doing what you too know is a perfect idea then by all means go and help.

but if you have the slightest hint of ''this is not a good idea'' in your mind DONT DO IT. just sit still.

P-A-T-I-E-N-C-E is the golden word of the game, let the enemy make the mistake first. they are the ones winning after all so they should do the first move.

qpranger #6 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
Suggest in chat that they play other, less IQ-demanding titles, like Barbie, Lego or my Little Pony.

General_Jack_D_Ripper #7 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:52 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 5227 battles

View Postqpranger, on 30 May 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Suggest in chat that they play other, less IQ-demanding titles, like Barbie, Lego or my Little Pony.

But be sure to type in after an early death.

People love getting advises like this from the guy who died early on.

Edited by General_Jack_D_Ripper, 30 May 2020 - 05:52 PM.

Kdingo #8 Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

General

• Player
  • 33290 battles

We all have less then stellar teams at times the real difference is to stay calm and adapt.

You go into a forward position, spot the enemy and no one shoots them, decide to shoot yourself and bugger out to a fall back location. At one point your allies will inevitably be close enough to shoot back cause they get shoot at.

Also don´t go into battle with expectations to fulfill a mission, never going to work if you try to force assisted damage to happen.

In General, watch the Baboon King (Skill4ltu) Twitch/Youtube not necessarily to learn but to adopt his mindset. Learning to accept that some battles are just going to be horrible is one major step to improve your overall experience. If you manage to have fun even during a 30% session you will realize that you not just have more fun overall but also play a lot better/more focused.

Also listen to music, whatever makes you feel good helps.

Spoiler

qpranger #9 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostGeneral_Jack_D_Ripper, on 30 May 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

But be sure to type in after an early death.

People love getting advises like this from the guy who died early on.

Naturally, I always seek early death when I see fools on my team, for they are the one thing I fear most in life.

sid257 #10 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:10 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 47025 battles
  • [SYFY] SYFY

Well “Smash keyboard and throw monitor out of window” is probably not the best answer but could be satisfying.

Forget team and stay alive as long as you can while farming damage or join a clan and only do team stuff.

Either way your blood pressure will go up and down.

Private_Miros #11 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29728 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

If you cannot do anything useful that might help you win; do something that doesn't increase the chances of making you lose.

If the game seems lost, play the game catch me if you can (i.e. the game now has become a death match and you need to survive as long as you can).

Don't let your fun depend on the team. The challenge and fun is to do as well as you can in the situations that the game throws at you. With that mindset you have fun losses, even fun walkovers.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36205 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostDiMtopia, on 30 May 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

[etc etc generalised moan about idiots]

We have had every day for the past 10 years at least one forum thread a day from soi disant very clever people wondering what they can do when put in a 30 man game with people they regard as stupid and beneath them

No doubt one day there will be an answer to this vexing question

wsatnutter #13 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27578 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 30 May 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

You stop worrying about trying to win the unwinnable situation and instead use the remaining time to to inflict, as much damage on the enemy as you can to maximise your credits/xp/MoE. There's been plenty games that weren't particularly satisfying themselves outside of the beating you get to administer to an overconfident enemy who make the mistake of thinking you're going to be just one more easy kill at the end of the match.

sums it up perfectly post of the weekend so far

DiMtopia #14 Posted 30 May 2020 - 06:42 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16877 battles
  • [1ADRM] 1ADRM

View PostKdingo, on 30 May 2020 - 06:55 PM, said:

In General, watch the Baboon King (Skill4ltu) Twitch/Youtube not necessarily to learn but to adopt his mindset. Learning to accept that some battles are just going to be horrible is one major step to improve your overall experience. If you manage to have fun even during a 30% session you will realize that you not just have more fun overall but also play a lot better/more focused.

yeah, i'm already subscribed to his channel. "patience my friends, we have all the time in the world of tanks" that's the sermon that he preaches. sadly i do not have his patience in a lot of situations and end up doing stupid mistakes.

StronkiTonki #15 Posted 30 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36269 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

View PostDiMtopia, on 30 May 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

what do you do the moment you realize your team has no intention or ability of winning the battle and it will be a bad loss?

Well, first of all, preferably you want to be in a decently fast tank, which makes doing this a lot easier.

Secondly: As cruel as it sounds, if your team is in no way able to win the battle, or just clearly being passive and useless, the best thing is to play defensive and, depending on how hard you're losing, just use your teammates as meat shields. Then relocate behind another ally etc.

I know it's a very selfish thing to do, but there is almost no other way to get any decent result if it's a guaranteed loss like that.

If they're not contributing into trying to win the battle, they might as well contribute into being a meat shield for you.

Objec7 #16 Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18244 battles
  • [OOUUF] OOUUF

View PostDiMtopia, on 30 May 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

before every battle we all look at the line-ups, the minimap and make a mental plan of what you will do, then adapt as the battle unfolds.

for example, on kharkov, scout, i go to my preferred bush on west side of map thinking i'll spot for the tds in my team. on my way there i see that the tds (paper german waffles) are actually going city, however i'm followed by 2 meds that promptly take the sniping spot. all good i say, plan remains the same. so i take my bush and start spotting enemies, but i'm getting no assistance, cause my meds aren't shooting. so i wait a bit more as i point myself for an exit run. spot tanks some more and still no assistance. by this time all 3 waffles are dead in the city. somehow they figured the best strategy is to rush forward into enemy heavies. so seeing as i'm not getting any assistance and the enemy is getting more courageous and advancing, i start running and as i drive past my meds i see them actually pushing each other in a bush. apparently fighting for it. by this time score is 0-6 and 3/4 of the map are lost.

another example, prohorovka where i rush the hill from north camp thinking i'll get spots on the hill and maybe shots down the middle. but just as i reach the rails i realize arty and I are the only ones coming on this side. even worse, nobody is taking the mid spot near the rails and all of them are going to sniper alley on the 1-2 lanes. they already have a scout there so i'd be redundant. i waste some time (my fault here) trying to type in chat asking some people to take mid and to join hill. but by this time our scout is dead (cause he went too forward to spot where nobody could even shoot). my only chance is to actually spot for those corner campers so i make my way towards the 1-2 line but by the time i get there, their spotter is already in abush with cammo and binocs so no matter which way i try to approach i get outspotted. 

and there could be a lot more of these battles. i'm sure all of you had them.

Play better or just play lower tier. I had worst teams today for a long time and I still managed to pull 66 % session wr. If you are one of those who say that every other day they lose 17 out of 20 battles because of bad teams, the problem is 100 % in you.

DiMtopia #17 Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:01 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 16877 battles
  • [1ADRM] 1ADRM

View PostObjec7, on 30 May 2020 - 10:02 PM, said:

Play better or just play lower tier. I had worst teams today for a long time and I still managed to pull 66 % session wr. If you are one of those who say that every other day they lose 17 out of 20 battles because of bad teams, the problem is 100 % in you.

did you even read what i wrote?

i knew people like you will come and comment that's why i specifically wrote in my post this is not about complaining it's about me having remorse when i fall back and farm damage and maybe finding alternatives to doing that which are more effective and more moral.

btw these are my stats for today and for the past week actually. while i might not be pulling unicum level gameplay i'm still decent.

moenie #18 Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:14 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 21228 battles
  • [L-I] L-I

- Think of every game as 1vs29

- Set up ambushes and flanking as much as possible

- Don't over push a flank, know when to pull off

- Try to stay in rage of and or between heavies / tank destroyers for effective support

- Don't yolo / go solo

- Use your minimap

- Angle your armour (sidescrape / reverse sidescrape)

- Focus fire (less guns in the game is better than less hp)

Edited by moenie, 30 May 2020 - 10:19 PM.

qpranger #19 Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:42 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View Postmoenie, on 31 May 2020 - 12:14 AM, said:

- Think of every game as 1vs29

- Set up ambushes and flanking as much as possible

- Don't over push a flank, know when to pull off

- Try to stay in rage of and or between heavies / tank destroyers for effective support

- Don't yolo / go solo

- Use your minimap

- Angle your armour (sidescrape / reverse sidescrape)

- Focus fire (less guns in the game is better than less hp)

Boring.

I just rage in chat.

Bulldog_Drummond #20 Posted 30 May 2020 - 11:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36205 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostDiMtopia, on 30 May 2020 - 09:01 PM, said:

did you even read what i wrote?

i knew people like you will come and comment that's why i specifically wrote in my post this is not about complaining it's about me having remorse when i fall back and farm damage and maybe finding alternatives to doing that which are more effective and more moral.

btw these are my stats for today and for the past week actually. while i might not be pulling unicum level gameplay i'm still decent.

Typical sealclubber

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users