How to play T49 with 152mm?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

saurilian #1 Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21189 battles

Posted Image

I'm having troubles how to play it. The tank seems very luck dependent. I find it very hard to get clear shots into engine decks and whenever I try to make the first shot adventage play the gun misses. What's the best load up? I have 16 HE and 6 HEAT. 

I don't know how to impact my games in this tank, please share your tips if you're experienced. 

My questions: 

- What is most often your opening play? Scout or flank cross?

- How often you just shot everyone for 300 every 20s? 

- Do you play it like a paper medium tank or more like a light tank? 

- What's the best ammunition load? (I have 16 HE and 6 HEAT) 

- In scale of 1 to 10, how much luck do you need to make 3k damage in a game? 

- What is the most important thing you have to keep in mind while playing this tank?

- How to have fun in this tank? 

- How often do you play scout role in this tank and how often damage dealer role?

My crew and equipmentPosted Image

And no, I'm not gonna switch the gun to 90mm.

Thanks tho.

Edited by saurilian, 02 June 2020 - 06:03 PM.

Private_Miros #2 Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29728 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Play pure scout early unless you can derp an enemy scout and have solid exit strategy.

When no scouting opportunities, use it as a damage dealer, lobbing shells from a safe distance to annoy heavies.

Get most damage done in the clean up or when you see a safe opportunity to surprise a paper medium.

Know that the accuracy on the move at full speed is better than at any moment when standing still and not fully perfectly aimed.

------------

That said, in terms of win rate, this is my worst tank. I love it, but I cannot carry in it.

saurilian #3 Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21189 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 02 June 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

Play pure scout early unless you can derp an enemy scout and have solid exit strategy.

When no scouting opportunities, use it as a damage dealer, lobbing shells from a safe distance to annoy heavies.

Get most damage done in the clean up or when you see a safe opportunity to surprise a paper medium.

Know that the accuracy on the move at full speed is better than at any moment when standing still and not fully perfectly aimed.

------------

That said, in terms of win rate, this is my worst tank. I love it, but I cannot carry in it.

The one thing I don't understand, is how hard it is to actually penetrate engine decks with HE. I always thought everything's paper there... When do you load HE and when HEAT?

Private_Miros #4 Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29728 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

View Postsaurilian, on 02 June 2020 - 05:10 PM, said:

The one thing I don't understand, is how hard it is to actually penetrate engine decks with HE. I always thought everything's paper there... When do you load HE and when HEAT?

I've never used HEAT in it.

You generally need a straight angle into the rear. Sides of paper meds and some TD can be penned as well, as long as you don't hit the tracks.

NekoPuffer_PPP #5 Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:42 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37074 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Every derp T49 I've encountered drives around like a headless chicken and shoots tanks at point-blank range. Even then, they sometimes miss...but it's effective enough. Cripples most LTs.

I either YOLO the enemy lights or spot passively from a bush, waiting for an enemy light to try and flush me out of it...then I delete most of its HP. :trollface:

JocMeister #6 Posted 02 June 2020 - 06:45 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29394 battles

Switch to small gun if you want to be competitive. The derp is just a silly meme. 

Cobra6 #7 Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16624 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

As a damage dealer to heavy armor while at the same time being vision to your team.

Ignore everything that you team can easily damage themselves and engage the toughest target in every engagement you come across.

You almost never need HEAT and don't need premium HE, you just need brains.

At the start you can choose to do some spotting if you want but its much more important to try and get into a good position to take a shot early on at anything with armor, don't try to go hunt enemy LT's, you'll just miss or die.

Don't play it with the 90mm, it's a waste. Other light tanks are much better with the pew-pew guns.This one is all about the 152mm gun and it's unique positions amongst light tanks in being a main damage dealer instead of a traditional light.

Here are two Ace Tanker matches showing exactly what playstyle to use in this one. I also give various tips throughout the battles and explain what to do and when.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 02 June 2020 - 07:35 PM.

Infryndiira #8 Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:25 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24270 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

The T49 is a very capable scout. It has a great view range and, while its concealment value is lacking compared to other light tanks, you can still use certain locations to passive spot certain flanks.

The value of the 152mm gun is mostly the memes, but then again, it is the most unique feature on a light tank line in the game. It is great for shoot and scoot drive-bys, especially if you can flank to unload a HE shell in the soft side or rear armour of distracted tanks (you can safely pen tanks like the 268v4 and Super Conqueror from the rear, for example) while also lobbing HE to pepper enemy tanks and track them, injure their crew, or inflict disproportionate module damage.

Using your T49 to obtain the first shot is vital. You have adequate concealment, mobility and gun depression for that. To optimise for the 152mm, you will have to kit out more like a KV-2 than a scout tank, but depending on your tanking habits either can work. I personally use vents, optics and a vertical stabiliser, though I will be experimenting extensively with the Sandbox and Equipment 2.0.

But if you want consistency it might be a good idea to swap to the 90mm gun, as others have pointed out.

MrClark56 #9 Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 8288 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Am in same boat as op. Had good wr with the 90mm gun.. since i mounted the shderp my wr has been slowly going down.. the playstyle is definitely different. 

I grinded the line to get the derp.. so i will stick with it.. i just need a way to make it work.. 

Slyspy #10 Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 15422 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I don't know for certain but the information I've gathered is that if you want consistent results the 90mm is the better choice. Since you don't want to use it then the tank becomes mostly meme, so best to treat it as such I'd imagine - don't take it too seriously.

Hyina #11 Posted 02 June 2020 - 07:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66766 battles

If you want to play to win consistently, use 90mm.

If you want to troll around incl. yourself half the time, use the derp.

saurilian #12 Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21189 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 02 June 2020 - 07:40 PM, said:

I don't know for certain but the information I've gathered is that if you want consistent results the 90mm is the better choice. Since you don't want to use it then the tank becomes mostly meme, so best to treat it as such I'd imagine - don't take it too seriously.

You know what? You're right.

I got this to have fun, not to be consistent and tryhard. Thanks <3

Edited by saurilian, 03 June 2020 - 12:34 AM.

FataL_ShadowZ #13 Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15888 battles

View PostCobra6, on 02 June 2020 - 07:18 PM, said:

Here are two Ace Tanker matches showing exactly what playstyle to use in this one. I also give various tips throughout the battles and explain what to do and when.

Cobra 6

Nice reminder how much better Prokh/Fiery Salient (and arguably all maps) were with the large amount of foliage pre 1.0, The hill is almost unrecognisable compared to its barren current form.

I prefer my maps full of bush :bush:

Spoiler

Edited by FataL_ShadowZ, 03 June 2020 - 01:24 AM.

Balc0ra #14 Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77816 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View Postsaurilian, on 02 June 2020 - 05:59 PM, said:

And no, I'm not gonna switch the gun to 90mm.

Thanks tho.

Out of curiosity. Why? As you get more DPM vs even the HE 152. If I see a 90mm on a T49. I steer clear of that 3K dpm in most of my lights unless I have more HP. It's a great flanker and bully light with that gun, and a solid LT counter in the early game. 152 is more of a troll hit and run type of play tbh. If you want to control the area, you stick to the 90mm.

I've played 70% of the games in mine with the 90mm. And it's why I love it tbh.

TungstenHitman #15 Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34155 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View Postsaurilian, on 02 June 2020 - 04:59 PM, said:

I'm having troubles how to play it. The tank seems very luck dependent. I find it very hard to get clear shots into engine decks and whenever I try to make the first shot adventage play the gun misses. 

Yes it's very RNG reliant of course or "luck" as you call it and if you are going to play the derp gun you just have to take the good with the bad and just accept that some battles you can do everything correctly and miss every shot or keep hitting tracks while in another battle you hit a tank the other side of the map with and auto-aim shot while moving at full speed and for a high roll pen of 1000+ dmg and also setting his tank on fire for a full burn out effectively a one shot kill lol.

Playing the T49 with the derp is imo the ONLY way and reasons to play this tank. 1. Higher tier lights apart from EBR's are generally shhhh. 2. There are better light tanks at tier 9 like the AMX for example with and auto-loader and other light tank tanks that are much smaller and more agile and more stealthy while this is just a big fat American beef cake. Plus the Sheridan is trash imho so therefore the only reason left to play this tank is for pure derpingly good fun. 

What's the best load up? I have 16 HE and 6 HEAT. I don't know how to impact my games in this tank, please share your tips if you're experienced. 

I roll with 15 standard HE and mostly always just use this, 6 "special" HE for those occasions I am in and end-game battle against some stupidly over armored super heavy will benefit more from the slightly increased pen but mostly the increased splash radius and this a tip for you to take. Why the increased splash radius of the premium HE of any significance you ask? Simple. From now on when you are facing the front of a tank or even the rear with ridiculously thick armor and really tall where you can't get at its top decks etc, what you do from now on is shoot UNDER the tank. The shell will detonate on the ground, is counted as a missed shot I think, but the splash radius will hit the soft underbelly of these tanks for a much better damage return than simply just blapping their front 4 foot thick armor for very little dmg. I also carry just 1 HEAT for some sort of end game scenario in which the map or enemy tank does not allow me much freedom to work a lot of shots, is on 700 hp or less and who's armor is so strong that I can't even pen the rear with a HE option but my 152 pen HEAT can and bang for 700 dmg... but honestly that's been a very rare situation.

My questions: 

- What is most often your opening play? Scout or flank cross?

Depends on the map but I will try and catch an enemy light tank with a shot really early.

- How often you just shot everyone for 300 every 20s? 

I don't know.

- Do you play it like a paper medium tank or more like a light tank? 

More like a fast medium with a derp gun.

- What's the best ammunition load? (I have 16 HE and 6 HEAT) 

Answered already above. Mostly all standard HE.

- In scale of 1 to 10, how much luck do you need to make 3k damage in a game? 

While this gun is always going to be massively RNG reliant, it's actually a case of practice makes perfect and you just get used to it's playstyle. Pouncing on targets unaware of your presence or distracted fighting your teammates becomes pretty predictable and a somewhat low risk way of getting on a targets rear for a full damage pen. Like some sort of drive-by scumbag that kicks you in the nuts when you were distracted fighting someone else. Also catching aggressive light tanks actively scouting becomes fairly predictable especially EBR's. Most all players aggressively scouting will create an opening by momentarily straight lining and in that split second you send one up there backside... take it back with them as a souvenir from the visit.

- What is the most important thing you have to keep in mind while playing this tank?

Understanding it's most likely going to hit a track or even miss and in doing so will leave the door open to a huge counter punch opportunity with it's long reload and not so agile ways and as such, pick your moments carefully, read the situation as best as you can and try not to over-extend from the safety of your teammates with some escape routes already planned before you initiate your attack run.

- How to have fun in this tank? 

Like I said, practice makes perfect.

- How often do you play scout role in this tank and how often damage dealer role?

Depends on the map obviously. Ultimately it's still a light tank with excellent light tank moving camo bonuses and great view range so if needs be that's what I'll be doing and obviously if it's a tiny map or city map I do something else.

My crew and equipmentPosted Image

Get rid of the GLD for a vent. A GLD only works when you are not moving and the gains are not even noticeable so it's just a complete waste of time on this tank and pretty much any tank other than a clicker tbh. A vent will improve your aiming time a little bit anyway plus it also improves everything else, your soft stat dispersion, your turret traverse, your tank traverse, all these things that will allow you to get on a tanks rear more efficiently and your gun pointed at it while driving at full speed. The T49 isn't blessed with good traverse so every bit to improve hull and turret traverse speed will make a noticeable difference far beyond a GLD and so its a vent all the way instead plus the gains of a vent are in effect all the time, not just when your tank is stopped or whatever. Plus a vent will lower your reload time a little bit and increase your view range and camo rating etc.

It also stands to reason that a good crew is important with a tank gun like that. BIA will combine nicely with that vent as will smooth ride and snap shot. My own personal preference, once all the more important skill are taken firstly, is to also train the Controlled Impact skill. The reason for this is because the gun often hits a track or maybe low rolls on a target which means the target is still alive on low hp and I now have a huge reload so he can really wreck my tank and so with the Controlled Impact skill what I will do is carry on with full speed, its a big fat American tank and just smash that AMX or whatever lightly armored tank it is and that finishes it off, gets the job done for minimal damage and I didn't have to run around like a headless chicken for 20 seconds reloading while this low hp target I failed to kill keeps popping shots into me. Works a treat on SPG nests too. Sometimes I will roll into an SPG nest, there are 2 SPG's, one is a lower tier weak SPG while the other is some stronk Russian doomsday gun and so I will plow full speed into the weak SPG, killing it from full hp simply by crashing into it, and put the shot into the stronger SPG, hopefully killing it. I also recommend you run food on this tank for obvious reason. It does catch fire frequently but not enough to stop me using and benefiting from the gains of food.

Here's how my tank rolls. I got to 94.5% with the derp gun before and if you want to mark it then use the way more reliable 90mm which itself is a really nice gun but ya like I said, there's just not really much point bothering since the AMX is an A-L and tanks like the Leopard, Skoda, Standard-B etc are just way better while just as capable and almost as fast as doing the light tank stuff.

Edited by TungstenHitman, 03 June 2020 - 12:10 AM.

saurilian #16 Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21189 battles

View PostBalc0ra, on 02 June 2020 - 11:55 PM, said:

Out of curiosity. Why? As you get more DPM vs even the HE 152. If I see a 90mm on a T49. I steer clear of that 3K dpm in most of my lights unless I have more HP. It's a great flanker and bully light with that gun, and a solid LT counter in the early game. 152 is more of a troll hit and run type of play tbh. If you want to control the area, you stick to the 90mm.

I've played 70% of the games in mine with the 90mm. And it's why I love it tbh.

View PostTungstenHitman, on 03 June 2020 - 12:08 AM, said:

Playing the T49 with the derp is imo the ONLY way and reasons to play this tank. 1. Higher tier lights apart from EBR's are generally shhhh. 2. There are better light tanks at tier 9 like the AMX for example with and auto-loader and other light tank tanks that are much smaller and more agile and more stealthy while this is just a big fat American beef cake. Plus the Sheridan is trash imho so therefore the only reason left to play this tank is for pure derpingly good fun. 

As the guy said 

saurilian #17 Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:01 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21189 battles

View PostTungstenHitman, on 03 June 2020 - 12:08 AM, said:

(...)

Thank you so much for such a long response.

I dropped the vents for GLD but I'll listen to you and switch them back :) 

I will also apply your answers to my gameplay and hopefully with practice, I'll be better.

(edit) I got the Vents and Cola and here you go: 

Posted Image

(edit 2) I BEGIN TO THINK WARGAMING IS RIGGING THE RNG FOR PEOPLE WITH FOOD

Posted Image

Edited by saurilian, 03 June 2020 - 10:45 AM.

StronkiTonki #18 Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36297 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST
My way to play the T49: Play the Sheridan instead. :great:

Space_Vato #19 Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:23 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4375 battles

I don't have great stats with the T49, but there is one thing that is helpfull to me in my better rounds...

If you meet a HT or heavy TD from the front. Pop a shot underneath it. Bam! 300-350 damage instead of 90 when you hit the upper glacis.

The floor is just as thin as the upper deck (~5cm/50mm/1.9inch). And even though you might not be able to hit the floor, the splashdamage will do you right (also taking out tracks many many times)

Enjoy!

Edited by Space_Vato, 03 June 2020 - 07:25 AM.

ilmavarvas #20 Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24434 battles
  • [PR-22] PR-22

Play for fun and the results will come, overthinking and overtry and you just get trolled by the derp.

Also extremely good use of 152 mm derp is to follow heavies, if map or situation don't allow anything else, and just peek-a-boo behind them after the enemy heavies have shot and slap them with some nice damage + critical hits.

Edited by ilmavarvas, 03 June 2020 - 08:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users