A Call to WG

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

Poll: Are WG Being Disrespectful to Ware Dead? (33 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battle in order to participate this poll.

Should WG Donate Proceeds From The Current Store Event to a Notable Charity of Their Choosing?

1. Yes. (16 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. No. (11 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Other - discuss (6 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

Vote Hide poll

Erwin_Von_Braun #1 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

Hi all

Now, I'm not going to jump on the 'we hate WG for {reasons}' bandwagon but, after reading the news on the Special D-Day Commemoration Offers in the WG store, I was left with a rather bitter taste in my mouth.

Surely, a company as reputable as WG would be above profiteering during the commemoration of an event in which thousands upon thousand died?

So, with that in mind, I call upon WG to donate all proceeds from this store 'event' to a notable charity of their choosing.

I would really like WG staff to participate in this discussion but, alas, I'm not allowed to post this in the Announcements section (for obvious reasons).

Was hoping the moderators could nudge their contacts at WG in the right direction :)

What say you?

Edit: With the benefit of hindsight, the poll would appear to be slightly biased, so edited accordingly.

Edited by Erwin_Von_Braun, 04 June 2020 - 10:06 PM.

Kdingo #2 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles

Look at it like this, them making an event about it raises awareness on something that thousands might not even have heard of.
Them making a buck that way isn't a problem for me, as profit has to be made to keep the server hamsters fed.
Also this charity organizations are often a cash sink in themselves, sure they may do good but tons of cash is often wasted on organizing and/or "lost" in certain pockets. I just don't have much faith in those.

edit: the poll is also little biased, a simple yes/no would have sufficed.

Edited by Kdingo, 04 June 2020 - 09:46 PM.

xx984 #3 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 68832 battles

Sure, it would be nice. and i wouldn't be against it.

at the same time i don't really think its fair to go against WG for not donating anything. (not saying you are going against them, just saying in general) WG have done many charity events in the past, Don't think its necessary every time there is an event like this that is almost out of living human memory. If there are more current causes, or situations that happen sure. but yet again that should be something they do on their own and not because the community said, would take away from the meaningfulness of it

Erwin_Von_Braun #4 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:49 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

View PostKdingo, on 04 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

Look at it like this, them making an event about it raises awareness on something that thousands might not even have heard of.
Them making a buck that way isn't a problem for me, as profit has to be made to keep the server hamsters fed.
Also this charity organizations are often a cash sink in themselves, sure they may do good but tons of cash is often wasted on organizing and/or "lost" in certain pockets. I just don't have much faith in those.

I don't think the poll is biased at all - it does say yes or no, just with a slight elaboration.

Besides, I think anyone playing a largely WWII themed game that isn't aware of D-Day probably shouldn't be allowed outside without adult supervision.

_cro_magnon #5 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35987 battles
  • [EL_SQ] EL_SQ

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

Hi all

[...]I was left with a rather bitter taste in my mouth.[...]

Have you tried the pineapple trick? :trollface:

Erwin_Von_Braun #6 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

View Postxx984, on 04 June 2020 - 08:47 PM, said:

Sure, it would be nice. and i wouldn't be against it.

at the same time i don't really think its fair to go against WG for not donating anything. (not saying you are going against them, just saying in general) WG have done many charity events in the past, Don't think its necessary every time there is an event like this that is almost out of living human memory. If there are more current causes, or situations that happen sure. but yet again that should be something they do on their own and not because the community said, would take away from the meaningfulness of it

I'm not going against WG at all - after all, we are all well aware of their propensity for putting profit above everything else.

Just thought this would be an ideal time to show another side to the corporation.

20:51 Added after 0 minute

View Post_cro_magnon, on 04 June 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

Have you tried the pineapple trick? :trollface:

She says it doesn't work.

Bananas on the other hand...…………...:trollface:

_cro_magnon #7 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:52 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 35987 battles
  • [EL_SQ] EL_SQ

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 09:50 PM, said:

Bananas on the other hand...…………...:trollface:

Spoiler

Kdingo #8 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:55 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 09:49 PM, said:

I don't think the poll is biased at all - it does say yes or no, just with a slight elaboration.

Besides, I think anyone playing a largely WWII themed game that isn't aware of D-Day probably shouldn't be allowed outside without adult supervision.

Its is biased, yes means you agree they are disrespectful, no means you agree they are greedy capitalists. 

You can't vote either without a negative remark at wg.

And about the "adult supervision", some months ago i saw a report about teenager being asked about who won ww2, some answered germany... so much about that.

jabster #9 Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
I do understand where you’re coming from but ultimately the whole game can be considering as profiteering from war and the associated death.

Erwin_Von_Braun #10 Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

View PostKdingo, on 04 June 2020 - 08:44 PM, said:

You're right sir - it would appear to be slightly biased, so I have edited accordingly:)

21:08 Added after 1 minute

View Postjabster, on 04 June 2020 - 08:58 PM, said:

I do understand where you’re coming from but ultimately the whole game can be considering as profiteering from war and the associated death.

This be true - I hear it's one of the reasons E-Sports were turned down for inclusion in the Olympics (almost all games involve destroying something).

24doom24 #11 Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 9571 battles
  • [WW3] WW3
WG will never do anything like that.

Spurtung #12 Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 82415 battles
  • [USSRX] USSRX

A call to Wargaming is possible by dialing 0035722864444.

unhappy__bunny #13 Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:51 PM

Brigadier

• 21460 battles
  • [-OC-] -OC-
You do realise that Wargaming already assist a number of charities, including War Child? 

Ch1valry #14 Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:58 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 42613 battles
  • [TKNZ] TKNZ

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 08:37 PM, said:

Surely, a company as reputable as WG would be above profiteering (...)

Never.

DaniulSims #15 Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:02 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
Even foregoing the (very real) chance that they've already worried themselves with some charity, taking any sort of political stance could be detrimental to WG as a company. A fair few that spoke out their opinions received significant amounts of backlash.

Can you blame them for not wanting that?

Frostilicus #16 Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:18 AM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 24199 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 04 June 2020 - 09:51 PM, said:

You do realise that Wargaming already assist a number of charities, including War Child? 

Yeah, but a chance to have a dig at "greedy capitalists" can't be sidetracked by a little research, can it? :)

NUKLEAR_SLUG #17 Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:35 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 09:50 PM, said:

I'm not going against WG at all - after all, we are all well aware of their propensity for putting profit above everything else.

Just thought this would be an ideal time to show another side to the corporation.

No, we're not. They have on many occasions supported a number of charities. At no point did they have to do any of that.

You seem to be have misconstrued WG and their actions with your own inherent bias.

Balc0ra #18 Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77836 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 04 June 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

So, with that in mind, I call upon WG to donate all proceeds from this store 'event' to a notable charity of their choosing.

To be fair tho, like everyone else in the world this week considering the ongoing issues, that some see as a bigger issue needing to be dealt with than anything else atm. They have donated to the same cause as the rest already there. But as for besides that, they ofc have run donations based on our spending or in general now and then. Inc for kids affected by war a few times a year to name one. So it's not like they do keep everything to themself all the time via that store.

And they do have missions and sales to celebrate Allied victories a few times a year for the past few years. Be it D-day, the battle of Kursk, or even the recent Berlin event that has been done with the sales of the Berlin trio each year.  And each one of those battles listed was still a costly battle for both sides. So why the reaction now suddenly? Just out of curiosity... no offense meant.

Edited by Balc0ra, 05 June 2020 - 02:49 AM.

MaxandChloe4ever #19 Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:24 AM

General of the Army

• 254 battles

I think Wargaming can definitely come up with some new decals or styles or even crew skins (such as crew who wears face masks) and donate the proceeds to a charity or to aid health workers. Like WoT ASIA has done with the Australian bushfire relief

If they want to, they can also go a step further and host a similar charity live stream to what WoT ASIA did and auction off various products/ services, such as auction of discontinued tanks like the Death Star and FOCH 155, or a video tour of their Australia office, stuff like that. 

But they also need to be careful in handling it, cause obviously they don't want to make the impression of trying to take advantage of the current situation, so if they were to hold such events, I would suggest donating all proceeds, so that it is a pure charity event, and WG will not be profiting from it whatsoever.

Erwin_Von_Braun #20 Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:08 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

View Postunhappy__bunny, on 04 June 2020 - 09:51 PM, said:

View PostMaxandChloe4ever, on 05 June 2020 - 03:24 AM, said:

I think Wargaming can definitely come up with some new decals or styles or even crew skins (such as crew who wears face masks) and donate the proceeds to a charity or to aid health workers. Like WoT ASIA has done with the Australian bushfire relief

If they want to, they can also go a step further and host a similar charity live stream to what WoT ASIA did and auction off various products/ services, such as auction of discontinued tanks like the Death Star and FOCH 155, or a video tour of their Australia office, stuff like that. 

But they also need to be careful in handling it, cause obviously they don't want to make the impression of trying to take advantage of the current situation, so if they were to hold such events, I would suggest donating all proceeds, so that it is a pure charity event, and WG will not be profiting from it whatsoever.

Yes, I'm fully aware the WG alreay supports a number of worth charitable causes - what I'm suggesting is in relation to this specific event.

:)

07:14 Added after 5 minute

View PostFrostilicus, on 05 June 2020 - 01:18 AM, said:

Yeah, but a chance to have a dig at "greedy capitalists" can't be sidetracked by a little research, can it? :)

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 05 June 2020 - 01:35 AM, said:

No, we're not. They have on many occasions supported a number of charities. At no point did they have to do any of that.

You seem to be have misconstrued WG and their actions with your own inherent bias.

And leave it to folk such as yourself to jump to the wrong conclusion.

Have a closer read of the OP and you will see that, at no point, do I mention capitalism or anything like bias in either direction.

I am fully aware, as I have mentioned already, that WG already supports a number of worth causes what I'm suggesting is in relation to this specific event and, as such, is worthy of consideration.

Like it or not, WG are going to make a not inconsiderable amount of money promoting sales in remembrance of an event in which thousands upon thousands of people lost their lives - is that not worthy of recognition?

Both of you seem to have misconstrued my genuine intent with your own inherent bias.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users