Thoughts on a first light tank and tank destroyer line to go with?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Mulaigalo #1 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1333 battles

Hello, got another question about tank lines, sorry for the spam =) essentially, I want to start up a light tracked tank line and a tank destroyer line. I'll say right now that pure alpha is my favorite thing in WoT :) and as for lights, I'm thinking to have something that is comfortable to play, and something that can deal a respectable amount of damage.. I'm aware that lights are pretty unfriendly for newer players, but everyone has to start somewhere, right? :) plus, I need them for the StuG IV campaign. Currently, I'm thinking of going for the Russian Object 268 line (268 v4 doesn't interest me unfortunately, maybe later), because of the big guns and SU-100 seems like an amazing TD. For lights, I'm definitely thinking French tracked, even with the horrible T2-T5 grind. Any ideas? :) EBR doesn't interest me.

Gixxer66 #2 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20948 battles
  • [-AWF-] -AWF-

Since they took the Derp from the T6 VK28.01 there are no low / mid tier high alpha lights.

The Chinese lights are fun up to and including the T8 WZ132 ( which iirc is the only T8 light with a 100mm gun ) . Plus if you want a crew trainer for them the Type 64 is great, and the Type 62 is more than decent when available.

German lights up T4 to T6 are all proper lights, that can all get to 445M VR with optics, again HWK30 / M41/90 Bulldog are nice crew trainers.

Ultimately though if you want alpha then T49 / Sheridan line - 152mm Derp for the lol's if you can live with the downsides of not being able to hit a barn door from 10m at times. Chaffee at T5 is a great little tank too.

fwhaatpiraat #3 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 63888 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Obj 268 line or the Chinese TD line.

Chinese light line :)

Balc0ra #4 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77836 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
For lights, you have 4 choices. Good ROF on a 76 to 100mm gun. As in the majority of them, and are in the way to get to the high alpha guns. 910 alpha derp with a long reload like the T49 and Sheridan. Burst damage like the French tier 6+ lights. The tier X can do 1170 damage in about 5.5 seconds. Or 105 gun lights with 390 alpha. That is most of the tier Xs. Inc the Chinese, US and British, and both French. The Sheridan with the 390 alpha 105 has the most DPM out of all of them.

RaxipIx #5 Posted 08 June 2020 - 05:59 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36350 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Depends if you wish to go all the way up to tier X.

I find the FR line most balanced all versatile as a whole line. No stinker, well maybe the BC-12T but that ain't a bad tank either to be frank.

Elc-playable, not what it used to be.

AMX 12 t deceng LT, with a magazine, fun to play.

AMX 13-75 my most favorite tank in the game, i find it the best tech tree light tank tier per tier in the game,T -71 is good too but the french one i like better.

BC-12 T   mediocre at best.

AMX 13-90 Solid tier 9 lt fun to play, because of the tier 9 MM.

AMX 13-105 3'd best LT , EBR, T-100 are better LT's per say, but still the AMX has that clip with an ok reload time.

Other light tanks that are nice, are the Chinese ones , up to tier 8, no point going higher. They are more like a light/medium hybrids. Got high alpha guns.

Russian line is ok, but i don't like it. Pew-pew guns. But again a line with no real stinkers, and you do get at tier x the t-100 and at tier 9 the t 54 lt, very solid tanks.

American, nothing spectacular , the t 71 DA   tier 7 is the highlight of this line, and the t 49 derping for fun here and there.

Germans, don't like them. Inferior to every other , ru 251 is ok.

So yeah probably best bet is the french line for lights.

As of TD's, again depending if you wish to go up to tier X.

Highest alpha lines are the JPZ e 100 and the FV 4005(this one is expensive to run)

Jpz e100 line is not bad per say, but not good either. They are slow and while they do have some armor  it doesn't really work consistently.

FV 4005 is again about the HESH derp rounds, inconsistent.

Rusky su-100 line, decent , but no turret and the guns are derpy, but they do hit hard, starting from tier 6. Tier X is meh though.

E4 line , pretty good, not the highest Alpha, ok TD's, more like second line  support tanks.

E3 line. Not bad, t-95 is very strong, slow, but 750 alpha and pretty solid armor.

I would go, for the RHM.BOrsig line, they have camo, have a turret,not too slow. And they can still hit pretty hard depending on what gun you choose.Line is not  bad, and both the tier 8 and 9 are solid TD's. Grille is meh though, can work but nothing spectacular.

The Chinese TD's have  high alpha, but they are mediocre at best, some actually pretty crap, so i would avoid that for sure as a first line.

Mulaigalo #6 Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1333 battles

View PostRaxipIx, on 08 June 2020 - 05:59 PM, said:

Depends if you wish to go all the way up to tier X.

I find the FR line most balanced all versatile as a whole line. No stinker, well maybe the BC-12T but that ain't a bad tank either to be frank.

Elc-playable, not what it used to be.

AMX 12 t deceng LT, with a magazine, fun to play.

AMX 13-75 my most favorite tank in the game, i find it the best tech tree light tank tier per tier in the game,T -71 is good too but the french one i like better.

BC-12 T   mediocre at best.

AMX 13-90 Solid tier 9 lt fun to play, because of the tier 9 MM.

AMX 13-105 3'd best LT , EBR, T-100 are better LT's per say, but still the AMX has that clip with an ok reload time.

Other light tanks that are nice, are the Chinese ones , up to tier 8, no point going higher. They are more like a light/medium hybrids. Got high alpha guns.

Russian line is ok, but i don't like it. Pew-pew guns. But again a line with no real stinkers, and you do get at tier x the t-100 and at tier 9 the t 54 lt, very solid tanks.

American, nothing spectacular , the t 71 DA   tier 7 is the highlight of this line, and the t 49 derping for fun here and there.

Germans, don't like them. Inferior to every other , ru 251 is ok.

So yeah probably best bet is the french line for lights.

As of TD's, again depending if you wish to go up to tier X.

Highest alpha lines are the JPZ e 100 and the FV 4005(this one is expensive to run)

Jpz e100 line is not bad per say, but not good either. They are slow and while they do have some armor  it doesn't really work consistently.

FV 4005 is again about the HESH derp rounds, inconsistent.

Rusky su-100 line, decent , but no turret and the guns are derpy, but they do hit hard, starting from tier 6. Tier X is meh though.

E4 line , pretty good, not the highest Alpha, ok TD's, more like second line  support tanks.

E3 line. Not bad, t-95 is very strong, slow, but 750 alpha and pretty solid armor.

I would go, for the RHM.BOrsig line, they have camo, have a turret,not too slow. And they can still hit pretty hard depending on what gun you choose.Line is not  bad, and both the tier 8 and 9 are solid TD's. Grille is meh though, can work but nothing spectacular.

The Chinese TD's have  high alpha, but they are mediocre at best, some actually pretty crap, so i would avoid that for sure as a first line.

Rhm Borsig was my original idea, but the Sturer Emil seems like such a steaming pile of garbage that it put me off entirely. I can't imagine being a slow, big tank with no armor that has a poor gun and having to grind out over 50k XP just to have a fighting chance.. the stock grind with it seems murderous

WindSplitter1 #7 Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:18 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21765 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY

View PostRaxipIx, on 08 June 2020 - 04:59 PM, said:

*snip*

B-C 12t.

Mediocre?

One of my best grinds ever. Far from mediocre. Every shot to the rear sets it on fire but as far as disadvanges goes, that's about it.

View PostMulaigalo, on 08 June 2020 - 05:08 PM, said:

Rhm Borsig was my original idea, but the Sturer Emil seems like such a steaming pile of garbage that it put me off entirely. I can't imagine being a slow, big tank with no armor that has a poor gun and having to grind out over 50k XP just to have a fighting chance.. the stock grind with it seems murderous

St. Emil is underrated. I concede that I free XP'd the top gun (I was powergrinding the line) but the vehicle isn't as tragic as people say.

Erwin_Von_Braun #8 Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46661 battles

LT's - German would be my first choice, closely followed by the US.

TD's - don't much care for TD's so couldn't possibly say.

Flavortown #9 Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:33 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17457 battles
  • [OISPA] OISPA
Ruskie lights, especially if you want to do the light missions. lgt is kinda meh, but the rest are decent.

its either armor or strv for td.
theres some fun tanks in the swedish line and couple of stinkers, but 103b is the gem of that line.

For armored ones american turreted ones have t30 and germans have jgpz e100.
If you want 268 like gameplay just go with the chinese ones.

RaxipIx #10 Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36350 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

View PostMulaigalo, on 08 June 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

Without some free xp.  There is no clear cut line on TD's. While yeah that grind can be bad,  couple of boosters. Maybe a bit of free xp can work well since grinds these days are not what they used to be(if you have premium time the victory x you get is nice)

But the rusky su-100 line is probably the smoothest if you don't have free xp/boosters etc. But be warned, with a fresh crew, while they are pretty mobile, ok ish camo, the gun has a mind of it's own. When it sings it sings. But when soviet stalin does not guide those shells, and it does happen pretty often even with a pimped crew, it's infuriating to play. Well  for me,i really don't like almost fully aimed shots  point blank missing and stuff.

View PostWindSplitter1, on 08 June 2020 - 06:18 PM, said:

B-C 12t.

Mediocre?

One of my best grinds ever. Far from mediocre. Every shot to the rear sets it on fire but as far as disadvanges goes, that's about it.

St. Emil is underrated. I concede that I free XP'd the top gun (I was powergrinding the line) but the vehicle isn't as tragic as people say.

Yeah compared to the rest of the line tier for tier, i think it's mediocre. Can still work, and it does work. I'm just saying i think it's the weakest from the line tier for tier.

Edited by RaxipIx, 08 June 2020 - 08:39 PM.

moenie #11 Posted 08 June 2020 - 08:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21262 battles

Light - Chinese

TD - French

Alternatives:

Light - American / Russian

TD - American / German

UK TD's are good until tier X imo.

Chinese TD's are decent at all tiers but lacks competitiveness at higher levels.

UK lights are lackluster

German lights are ok, best imo is RU251

Edited by moenie, 09 June 2020 - 01:38 AM.

tajj7 #12 Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30196 battles

Lights French or Chinese (up to about tier 8).

TDs, Bobject line is probably one of the most effective, tier 8 is a little weak, but the SU-100M1 is a beast at tier 7, gun depression is awkward to deal with but they are mobile, armoured with good guns. 

If you want a light for missions, you can buy the T71 DA from the collectors vehicles thing and its one of the best tier for tier lights in the game. You might need at least another tier 7 US tank, but not sure on that. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 09 June 2020 - 10:53 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Definitely go for the French lights as tree branches into a very good medium line as well.

For TD try Chinese. It's underrated but tier 6 and 9 are very good tanks.

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:03 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34155 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
French lights because fast auto-loading fun plus they unlock other classes. U.S. turreted TD's because most are good fun, a nice mix of fast high camo mid tiers and big chunky armored beasts at higher tiers... plus a turret is king. 

NUKLEAR_SLUG #15 Posted 09 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View PostTungstenHitman, on 09 June 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

French lights because fast auto-loading fun plus they unlock other classes. U.S. turreted TD's because most are good fun, a nice mix of fast high camo mid tiers and big chunky armored beasts at higher tiers... plus a turret is king. 

Can confirm. T30 is a boss. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users