• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

The_Naa #1 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:14 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12371 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Heyo :)

i thought i would give you my opinion about Toxicity in WoT and other games.

as i assume most of you have heard the famous line of ''World of Tanks has the most toxic community!''

well i cant proof that WoT isnt most toxic, but in my experience Dark Souls community is more toxic.

but the reason why players think this is the case is simple:

Its so easy to be Toxic in World of Tanks. here are few common examples from current update and older ones.

there are so many ways and variations so it will repeat itself.

• you can have a Toxic gamer tag
  • some one is playing the wrong tank in the wrong area of the map, just press Enter and let them have it.
  • whats this? the scout is not spotting? yell at him in the chat, push him out or shoot him, that will teach him.
  • someone in your blacklist? just tell everyone that he is in your blacklist and start being toxic towards him.
  • you are playing arty and the guy over there is camping alone on that flank and doing nothing? just stun him, maybe he will learn how to play.
  • someone is in your favourite camping bush? just push him out, maybe even off the cliff. that will teach him not to take others favourite camping bush without your opinion.
  • whats this? your team mate has a golden tank that cost him 89€? and you did not have the money to buy it or werent fast enough? team kill him, that will teach him how to behave.
  • the enemy tank just shot at you with gold and killed you? how dare he do his job and kill the enemy tanks. i must send him a message after the battle or use the all chat and tell him how bad of an player he is.
  • theres arty in my team? better go and team kill him, or better still block his barrel so he will kill himself so i can continue my day knowing i saved the world from an arty player.
  • there is some one camping in a bush again. better report him for bot and everything else i can.
  • oh, the tank infront of me is not pushing even tho he is clearly being shot at. better drive behind him and start pushing him. maybe he learns how to play.
  • enemy arty was focusing me for the whole game and we lost a game. better send him a angry message.
  • lets ping the map because this player is not doing what i want them to do.
  • oh no there is a player with less than 50% winrate in my team i can see it in my XVM better tell him to quit playing the game.
  • aaand we have 0% chance to win, better go drown myself, lost cause no point in playing.
  • MM is broken and whatever thing i dont like about this game, so instead of quiting the game because i dont like this thing that is in the game, i will let everyone know that i dont like this thing and keep on playing and being toxic in general. 

well there were few of them or most of them, i guess you got the idea.

in summary, if you dont like something one of the 14-29 other players in the game are doing you just have to press Enter to let them know how you are feeling. and if that dont work, just shoot, stun or push them. and if you still think they did not have enough you can send them a message easily after the battle telling them more about your feelings.

now how many other games you know where you can do all of these things to other players so easily?

there might be few, but then i would assume you know that those games as well are toxic.

WG could always hide the toxicity from the game by taking away all the tools that help players being toxic:

Remove in game chat. remove chat in the Garage, remove map pinging. remove team damage (done) remove collision with friendly tanks, remove stun to friendlt players.

and every other tool that helps players sharing their feels to the other player.

but that would just hide the toxicity, it would not remove it because players will still be toxic. its just the matter of how easy it is to express that. in a game like CoD you need Mic to talk to people and everyone does not have a mic, you cant block your team mates that often or teamkill them. apart from hardcore gamemodes and usually in other games there isnt so many factors that trigger players to be toxic and if you do get triggered its harder to tell the other player that.

but in world of tanks a tank going to the wrong part of the map will trigger players because you cant go there because its not what i want *ENTER* let them know what you think.

but ye, every game is toxic, but in others its just so much easier to be toxic. and for some bizzare reason we have players that Hate the game and what WG is doing with it but they still keep on playing. its just so rare. i am fascinated by it. what is this magic trick that World of Tanks has that keeps players that hate it playing it.

usually when i play a game that i dont like because this thing that is in the game i just quit the game and dont come back.

Edited by The_Naa, 10 June 2020 - 04:16 PM.

Kdingo #2 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:18 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles

People just care to much about what is said, instead of just playing the game they end up paying more attention on what other say, do, names etc... my conclusion, some people are just, knowingly or not, looking for something to be offended over. And they always find something if they just look for it long enough.

Just learn to give a f**k, works splendid since online gaming exists.

Karasu_Hidesuke #3 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 17495 battles
  • [I-S-L] I-S-L

'Toxic Gamer'? Some people would consider that an achievement worth getting...:hiding:

... but in all seriousness, a lot of this 'toxicity¨ (not all of it) is down to us having an Xmas all year round now, where the littlest snowflakes gather around for their favourite activities. Blacklisting is the fastest solution, though it seems we should get longer blacklists in the game...

Edited by Karasu_Hidesuke, 10 June 2020 - 04:27 PM.

UserZer00 #4 Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14971 battles

Some will see this as me trying to appear superior, etc. but I thought I'd share it despite that:

Even granting that "stub my toe" moments (being artied from across the map, one shotted by a TD, having your shot blocked by a team mate, etc.), can create toxic thoughts, there really is no excuse for being VISUALLY toxic in the game. 

You have time to think about what you are going to type, if it's really worth typing it, rethink if it's really worth sending it and then sending it anyway.  This is more than enough buffer to easily filter 99% of logical toxicity.  

Being toxic means you thought about what you were typing, thought it was a good idea to share the thought with others and physically making an action to deliver the toxicity so that 14 others can see it (or one other if after the match).

Choosing to ignore all of the buffering opportunities means that you are actively choosing to be toxic.  The fact that many people choose to communicate in a toxic manner instead of trying to give the same message in a non toxic manner isn't really hopeful.

Of course, a lot of this is often explained away by "it's the internet", but this isn't really an excuse.

This doesn't mean that I've never been toxic in chat BTW, but after I have time to think about it more I almost always wish I had shared the thoughts differently.

This also doesn't mean that I am a "snowflake" with regards to handling insults, vulgar words, etc.  I can ignore and shake them off as well as anyone else, but I always feel sorry (yes it's true) for the person doing the insulting or ranting.  I'd much prefer to hear what set them off and hear there ideas on what they think can be done about it (often nothing as we all know).

(steps off his soapbox)

nc30_guy #5 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27988 battles
I think the real issues started around patch 8.1 time and also the increase in premium vehicles has had a slow increase in general saltyness allied to powercreep.

ONE77ZERO13 #6 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11583 battles

every game i join = a wheeled vehicle complaint thread.

EBRS have sent ppl into a toxic frenzy lately

Kdingo #7 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:30 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 10 June 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

Call it wheelphobia.

ONE77ZERO13 #8 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:42 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11583 battles

View PostKdingo, on 10 June 2020 - 05:30 PM, said:

Call it wheelphobia.

i just got called every dissease in the book for asking my team where they wanted early spots.

wheelphobia is real

Edited by smokeytheband1t, 10 June 2020 - 05:42 PM.

gunslingerXXX #9 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

I see little of what I would call toxicity.

Sure sometimes someone rages in chat, but its not like every other game all diseases are thrown around. I would guess 9 out of 10 games are completely fine and only 1 in 100 players go over the edge of social acceptable behaviour. In real life and on television there is constant swearing, why would it be a problem in a game?

Spoiler

Lee3452 #10 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18547 battles
They are not just in the game. They are also in the forums. There are regular contributors here who seem to trawl the posts looking for their next put down so that they can feel superior to you. A bit surprised one of them has not imparted their wisdom yet.

Edited by Lee3452, 10 June 2020 - 05:53 PM.

ONE77ZERO13 #11 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11583 battles

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 10 June 2020 - 05:51 PM, said:

I see little of what I would call toxicity.

Sure sometimes someone rages in chat, but its not like every other game all diseases are thrown around. I would guess 9 out of 10 games are completely fine and only 1 in 100 players go over the edge of social acceptable behaviour. In real life and on television there is constant swearing, why would it be a problem in a game?

Spoiler

you must be living in a alternate reality then.

gunslingerXXX #12 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 10 June 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

you must be living in a alternate reality then.

Could be, but I like it here so I don't mind

frange #13 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 33518 battles
  • [FRNR] FRNR

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 10 June 2020 - 04:13 PM, said:

Add the good old clickers to that...

The_Naa #14 Posted 10 June 2020 - 05:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12371 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostLee3452, on 10 June 2020 - 05:52 PM, said:

They are not just in the game. They are also in the forums. There are regular contributors here who seem to trawl the posts looking for their next put down so that they can feel superior to you. A bit surprised one of them has not imparted their wisdom yet.

really?

i am finding it really hard to get someone to argue with me over a point here in the forums.

and when they do they stop short usually. i assume that i won at that point. :D

ONE77ZERO13 #15 Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:02 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11583 battles

View PostThe_Naa, on 10 June 2020 - 05:58 PM, said:

really?

i am finding it really hard to get someone to argue with me over a point here in the forums.

and when they do they stop short usually. i assume that i won at that point. :D

Last man screaming wins the argument.

gunslingerXXX #16 Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:03 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15163 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

So if someone says in chat something like " ^*&^%*&%^ again 3 arty"

You guys get offended? or how does the experiencing toxicity work?

Spoiler

wsatnutter #17 Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27591 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
if you don't like the game then players should leave its simple or grow some balls

The_Naa #18 Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12371 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 10 June 2020 - 06:02 PM, said:

Last man screaming wins the argument.

more or less. :P

in my case its less about screaming tho.

also when the opposite side has to pull out personal insult in to the argument that is a clear indication that they are losing gorund.

Edited by The_Naa, 10 June 2020 - 06:13 PM.

Inappropriate_noob #19 Posted 10 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 19011 battles
  • [KV1] KV1

Funny that you post this thread, i was going to do one about what triggers you and how calm you are during any given game, then I got side tracked and started watching some YouTube vids on angry streamers, I must admit never seen QB go off on one and Skillz calmness is legendary, when I think of all these game fests and the like I just imagine it is filled with guys like these ,anyone ever witness anyone crack off at any WoT's event or tanks fest or whatever, just out of interest

I will admit to sometimes melting myself but here is a vid (one of many) which I though is both funny and sad at the same time, all this over a game, I can just imagine these people in the in game chat who scream subhuman, WG die of cancer etc etc 

So watch and giggle and hope it you that kills one of these in game, just for the lolz:trollface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysDZu-trxM

wsatnutter #20 Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27591 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostInappropriate_noob, on 10 June 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

Funny that you post this thread, i was going to do one about what triggers you and how calm you are during any given game, then I got side tracked and started watching some YouTube vids on angry streamers, I must admit never seen QB go off on one and Skillz calmness is legendary, when I think of all these game fests and the like I just imagine it is filled with guys like these ,anyone ever witness anyone crack off at any WoT's event or tanks fest or whatever, just out of interest

I will admit to sometimes melting myself but here is a vid (one of many) which I though is both funny and sad at the same time, all this over a game, I can just imagine these people in the in game chat who scream subhuman, WG die of cancer etc etc 

So watch and giggle and hope it you that kills one of these in game, just for the lolz:trollface:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ysDZu-trxM

highlights for me

7 = big lolz

6 KV2 derp lmfho

5 = that shitty music he desrved it lol

3 get a chippy in to finish the job  

2 its a team game m8 NOT when it counts 

1 = just hilarious 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users