For the Game to go Forward do WG need to look Backwards?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

_Anarchistic_ #1 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

just to warn this will be a long comment so to make things easier i am going to break it up into 3 sections, short introduction and conclusion and in the middle a detailed argument.  Each section will have a full caps intro as a bullet point to further make things quick to follow

THE GAME NEEDS TO GO BACK TO A 9.17 POINT OF REFERENCE AND DESIGN THOUGHT PROCESS

This was when the game was at its peak, before the template MM, 1.0 maps, arty stun, stupid OP tanks, money grabbing etc and at this stage the game was growing year on year with more and more players coming to the game.

Since then the choices made, especially right after 9.17 up to and including 1.0 have pretty much trashed the gameplay and according to some sources halved the player base.  Moreover the loss of players was almost instant and cataclysmic and to this day WG have not addressed the issues caused from this period, and in fact seem to be doubling down on their denial, coming out with blatant lie after lie and just making themselves look foolish in the process (pref MM tanks causing all the issues in the MM for example, or TVP is a defender killer !!!!!).

Reading the forums, watching the streamers and it is clear that the game is suffering, indeed what is even more terrifying is that after 3 years the developers still did not know about bush issues on Fishermans BAy until they did a Q&A with Circon !!  They clearly are in some bubble where they are not aware at all what is going on in the game.

Then looking forward and taking equipment 2.0 as a point of reference it seems that WG will be bringing back some of the issues they have previously removed, again a simple example would be removing the TD trait of not losing camo after firing.  This was removed years ago and greatly improved the gameplay (except for E25 and we all know how controversial that tank still is) so now we can potentially get an equipment piece which with bring back this trait.  Don't make old mistakes again, don't keep going down the same path which has led to so many players quiting the game and made it so much worse for new players.

WG spent years refining their game right up to and including 9.17 then in a few short months trashed it all and haemorrhaged players overnight, take a step back, admit where things went wrong and set them right again.

so that's my overall thinking, now into some detail

1.0 MAPS HAVE GREATLY DAMAGED THE GAMEPLAY AND ALMOST EVERY MAP CHANGE IS MAKING THINGS WORSE  RESET TO 9.17 LAYOUTS AND THINKING

This is something that has been complained about from the 1.0 sandbox onwards, the massive over bushing, making the game a camp fest has generally ruined the game and this was an issue in the sandbox, made by every streamer at the time, pages of feedback on the  sandbox forum giving detailed arguments against the changes (many from supertesters, loads from top clans and clan commanders) but WG ploughed on and to this day I watch streamers lamenting the map changes.  Circon made a great complaint once 'HOW  HOW  HOW have wargaming made every map worse in 1.0'.  The graphics are better, but the game play is worse, especially for new players and low tiers where the spotting mechanics now lead to games where tds just camp redline every game and win because they cannot get spotted but tanks with 350m view range when the tds are in camo nets and binos.  The old maps promoted movement, active gameplay.  WG had spent years refining them, removing cover to promote active gameplay (who remembers the old Murovanka with its magical mystical forest?) and low tier maps like Province were a dream for beginners to play the game and just have fun.  The old maps allowed you to get good at the game and rewarded you for being good and actually PLAYING the game, the new maps do not let new players learn anything other than camp camp camp because they are too defensive, encourage zero movement and punish players too hard for trying to press W.

Likewise every change since has been detrimental, Fishermans Bay has been reworked several times until its just boring as hell, Ruinbergs window position is just stupid and looking forward the next proposed changes will all make the game worse again.  Just undo the changes and reset the maps to the 9.17 layouts and thought process, you instantly improve the game.  Take the proposed changes to Prok, the hill changes.    1 OP bush is changing the entire side to a hull down camp fest, just set it up as it was in 9.17, problem solved, stop digging !!  It is the same for every map, keep the graphics, but set the bush layouts and the maps the same as in 9.17, remove the reworks and just go back to 9.17, and for old maps like Province, erlenberg etc just bring back the 9.17 versions, you will have instantly made the game light years better.

Its even worse with the new maps, Studzianski is just the worst map ever, i have actually sat in K0 in a jagdpanzer E100 behind a twig , a TWIG no leaves, not a bush A TWIG, and not been spotted firing, in a JPE100 !!!!  did not get spotted until scout saw my side when he got to H9 !!  or one of my favourite losses in a leo 1 when again I camped hard in K0 and was last man alive and they could not find me, lost by capping as I had no intention of doing anything but seeing if I could sit there and remain unspotted because it was so stupid, I just wanted to see if I could do it.  Enemy players drove over, then drove off looking for me in other areas, and Leo is hardly an ELC 90 !!

I was told about a comment by the developers (I cannot say if this is true but it sounds like WG) that they had to put in corridors etc for bad players, so bad players had something to do.  I genuinely cannot understand how making something bad can be a good idea, bad players will be bad, but if you make things bad for them then they will never get better, its self defeating.

The game, game play would be so well served going back to 9.17 and starting over, keep the graphics but get back to the old style of game play, the old thinking about how a map should be played and let players enjoy the game more, reward good active gameplay.

Again looking ahead i can see other worrying signs in equipment 2.0.  For example the equipment that reduces a tanks camo through a bush.  NO.  SORT THE MAPS OUT, this seriously suggests nothing will change map wise and that means the game will keep on declining.  Don't try and solve map issues in equipment, solve the map issues themselves

THE MATCHMAKER IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST ACT OF SELF HARM BY WG  GO BACK TO OLD PRE TEMPLATE MM TO SOLVE ALL THE MM ISSUES

from day 1 of the template system it was clear it was fatally flawed with tier 8 being hammered due to the lack of players,  Even now WG states that there are twice as many players at tier 10 as tier 8 so in a system where you need 8 bottom tiers for 3 top tiers you are asking for trouble.  Sure WG have added extra templates but the system is still flawed and getting more and more complicated.

WG also started throwing tier 8 premiums at the game to get more players to tier 8, so now at tiers 6 and 7 the game is tragic.  I am playing a free account as a second account and tier 7 is a nightmare, tier 6 barely any better.  if I was a new player this would drive me away as being bottom tier all the time is just wrong.  Further WG have now removed so many low tier tanks, I assume this is to drive players quicker to tier 5 to pad the numbers up for the MM but it just makes it even worse for new players, they cannot learn the game at tier 2/3/4 anymore and get tier rushed to tier 5 and smashed, it cannot be fun.

Further by matching tanks verses similar tanks you are breaking a fundamental game balance mechanic, if you match EBR105 vs EBR105 how can you see how balanced it is v an e100, a 140, IS7, T100lt?  The old system just grabbed tanks and shoved them in tier for tier and personally this was way better.  Simple, quick and better balanced.  You got even numbers of top/middle/bottom tier games AT EVERY TIER IN THE GAME. Tanks were better balanced in each tier (how many complaints now about unbalanced tanks, game breaking tanks, this is now so much worse than before and I wonder if it is partially due to breaking the MMs tier to tier matching of tanks).  The MM was changed to address other issues, eg maus vs grille on himmelsdorf, or now EBR vs EBR because they are broken and have ended non wheeled light tanks as a playable class.  These are NOT issues that should be addressed via the MM, they are a GAME balance issue.

The MM has been bad for the game, it has got WG in a right mess trying to get it working, is complicated and does not work.  Go back to the old MM and the game will be better AT EVERY TIER.  Further you can add back in all the low tier vehicles and help new players learn the game instead of tier rushing them, you will get better game balance and will be able to address issues where they SHOULD be addressed, map design, tank balancing, class balancing etc

ARTY STUN AND OTHER BUFFS HAVE MADE THE GAME SO MUCH MORE FRUSTRATING

The stun mechanic drives me nuts, not only that but by buffing accuracy, reloads and splash radius you simply cannot get arty safe anymore,  Going A0 on Malinovka for example you could get arty safe behind the windmill, not any more.  Same every map, arty can miss you everywhere and still do damage, detrack you, stun you and I am still getting 1 shot quite often so overall i feel this is another bad directon for the game

Again looking forward with the equipment 2.0 sandbox it is quite possible arty will be ever more of a pain and make the game even more unenjoyable, if you dont agree check out Dez Gamez and his accurate arty video.  its going to be truly awful

I do agree that the damage needed adjusting, perhaps a dpm buff to balance but the stun is just a bad idea, go back WG and start over

FROM THE ARTY STUN,  TEMPLATE MM PATCH TO 1.0 WG HAEMORRAGHED PLAYERS   GET BACK TO DOING THINGS THE WAY YOU WERE   IT SEEMS SO OBVIOUS

So hopefully you have lasted the course, or just jumped ahead !!

A game that was growing year on year up to 2018 shows a company doing things right overall, since then the player numbers clearly show a company that is getting it wrong overall, and the change was so fast and so steep I am amazed WG did not instantly stop and go WTF have we done.  WG can move fast, they have shown it, take for example the mines map, they introduced extra pockets on the hill entrance but that only lasted a few days? maybe a fortnight before they changed back to the old map so to not recognise their error and instead double down and deny any problems, blaming pref MM tanks instead of the template system etc is just not intelligent.

Now I have not touched on power creep, monetising, gold ammo etc as in some ways I get the need to keep the game fresh and understand the need to be profitable (I like battlepass for example) Also these are gradual changes that happen naturally over a games life and these issues are as old as the game itself (although I do wish WG would grasp the nettle on things like gold ammo instead of just tinkering with it to buff their income).

BUT the period from after 9.17 to 1.0 has been seriously bad, the game direction has been seriously bad and if only WG would reset themselves to developing the game in the manner they used to all those years they were growing the game the better the game and the more players and the even more profitable it will be.

You had a game growing year on year, more and more players then you got it wrong, just go back to getting it right, to me it seems so obvious

thanks for you time guys, I hope you have some interesting thoughts o

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 12 June 2020 - 04:10 PM.

DaniulSims #2 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
No.

_Anarchistic_ #3 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

View PostDaniulSims, on 12 June 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

No.

should have known that was coming pmsl

xtrem3x #4 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 37806 battles
  • [SPESH] SPESH

Didn't read all that but picked out a few lines here and there...

MM is better now than it ever was

OP premiums haven't happened for a long time

Equipment changes are still in sandbox with nothing confirmed

The game needs to adapt and evolve otherwise people get bored and move on.

Steeleye_Spam #5 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:28 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39017 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Some serious rose-tinted glasses going on here. Some things are better, some are worse

arthurwellsley #6 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 56495 battles
  • [J1FTD] J1FTD

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 12 June 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

just to warn this will be a long comment so to make things easier i am going to break it up into 3 sections, short introduction and conclusion and in the middle a detailed argument.  Each section will have a full caps intro as a bullet point to further make things quick to follow

THE GAME NEEDS TO GO BACK TO A 9.17 POINT OF REFERENCE AND DESIGN THOUGHT PROCESS

Wrong. If you look at the real figures World of Tanks has had a slow decline in server numbers over ten years, but the percentage compares favourably with other online games such as World of Warcraft, and they have destroyed at least one competitor game in their market place. In addition they have had a surge of players during the Covid 19 lockdown, it will be interesting to see if they can keep them.

1.0 MAPS HAVE GREATLY DAMAGED THE GAMEPLAY AND ALMOST EVERY MAP CHANGE IS MAKING THINGS WORSE  RESET TO 9.17 LAYOUTS AND THINKING

I would make sure it was 0.9.17.03 as at January 2017 and not 0.9.17.1 in April 2017. Because in February 2017 War Gaming sold the Defender/Object 252U for the first time. Also that idiot Murazor was then in charge of balancing and we got the Type 5 and the VK100.01(P) due to Murazor's stupidity.

THE MATCHMAKER IS THE SINGLE BIGGEST ACT OF SELF HARM BY WG  GO BACK TO OLD PRE TEMPLATE MM TO SOLVE ALL THE MM ISSUES

While I think it would be interesting to compare the MM as coded in 9.16 compared to today, I fear the fact that fewer players are queuing for lower tier matches makes this impossible. Besides which I find the present MM fine. But then I tend to play tier IX. I would like to see the preMM tier VIII's meet fewer tier IXs and be top tier against VII and VI again, but thats just me being selfish.

ARTY STUN AND OTHER BUFFS HAVE MADE THE GAME SO MUCH MORE FRUSTRATING

No. The reduction on SPG damage was a useful beginning. But it should be removed entirely. SPGs should have three shells, stun, star shell (reveal), and Smoke (conceal), and no damage whatsoever.

I think you could have been more concise.

Homer_J #7 Posted 12 June 2020 - 04:47 PM

Field Marshal

• 33958 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 12 June 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

THE GAME NEEDS TO GO BACK TO A 9.17

So, we never had anyone complaining about anything back then?

Sorry, I've read through your points and you seem to have some heavily rose tinted spectacles there.  People have complained about the matchmaker, maps, and arty since day 1.

Edited by Homer_J, 12 June 2020 - 04:52 PM.

saxsan4 #8 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25823 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

Hello,

Im sorry but you have nostalgic about a past mm that was never liked you descibed

Pre tempalte mm it was AWFUL,

games where there were 2 bottom tier, 3 mid tier, and the rest top tiers made the game playable, people would just drown yolo because there was no fun paying in such unabalced teams, I remember himemsdorf where we had no heavies and the enemies had 3, we lost pretty quick, the new mm is infinitely better and the only thing they need to do no is have +1/-1 mm for all tanks 

Pre temple mm would also have some games where enemies would have more top tiers because you had more mid tiers, or games where you had 1 tier 8 arty and the enemy had 3 tier 6 ones, it was not fun for everyone. 

Maps I agree, Ghost town has been ruined, too many open land and not enough city maps or maps like Tundra with cover

Maps should have lots of small paths so you dont get sniped form the other side

Edited by saxsan4, 12 June 2020 - 05:01 PM.

DaniulSims #9 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:09 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 12 June 2020 - 05:13 PM, said:

should have known that was coming pmsl

Considera how awful, unbased, absolutely biased and "based on feelings" all your points seem to be, I'm surprised you're expecting anyone not to react like I have.

Indy_Bones #10 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37557 battles
  • [WHO] WHO

I'd personally be going back far further to version 0.8.7 as this was the crucial update before many of the worst changes happened IMHO.

No 'premium' ammo being slung round constantly

No SPG stun mechanic

No massively broken or 'OP' vehicles (especially not premiums)

A wider selection of maps in much better iterations than we have now

No over armoured tanks like the Type 5, Bobject, 279e etc, and tanks had actual weakspots to aim for which you learned about as you got more experienced at the game, rather than loading the gold or waiting for the reticle to tell you it will probably pen them

Original shot distribution

No soapstone rocks and many more places accessible on maps with the right tanks and if you knew how

Platoon system was far less restrictive (although fail platoons still need banning)

All chat was available

You didn't have stupid indicators telling you EXACTLY where someone had shot you from, in what tank, and what gun they were using

HE spam simply wasn't a thing, nor an issue

Matchmaker didn't insist on putting you bottom tier the majority of the time, nor were the matchups always so 'cookie cutter'

We didn't have Wheeled Vehicles doing 10,000 kmh, turning at a G-force that would liquidate any human whilst HE penning a guy 400m away with auto-aim and spotting 70% of the team in the process before escaping scot free thanks to wheels seemingly made from Captain America's personal stockpile

We didn't have idiotic personal missions that deliberately make people play either stupidly, selfishly or reliant on pure luck thus destroying any modicum of teamplay in the process

Light tanks actually had a role, instead of just being nerfed mediums and many tanks had far more personal identity instead of trying to make everything virtually the same

Team battles were far better than the current skirms or stronghold modes

Basically, it was FAR superior from a gameplay perspective, and it's such a shame that we can't have that gameplay back, but with the updated graphics and a few of the genuinely worthwhile additions rather than the mess the game has slowly become in recent years.

_Anarchistic_ #11 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:12 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

View Postarthurwellsley, on 12 June 2020 - 04:37 PM, said:

I think you could have been more concise.

View PostHomer_J, on 12 June 2020 - 04:47 PM, said:

So, we never had anyone complaining about anything back then?

Sorry, I've read through your points and you seem to have some heavily rose tinted spectacles there.  People have complained about the matchmaker, maps, and arty since day 1.

Arthur, not so sure, trying to make a cohesive argument and your editing i fear misses the point i am trying to drive home, a game that was growing its player base year on year then makes changes that result in its player base crashing is making a mistake, and here are the reasons i think so

I do accept the points about defender and Jap heavies

as for server numbers every set i have seen, both on news pages, youtube videos etc shoes the game growing year on year peaking in december 2017 with the swedish tech tree, and every date point you pick , jan 2015/16/17, march 2015/16/17 etc shows an overall increase.  if you can point me to another set of figures?  i am aware WG recently said they peaked december 2015 and then plateaued which also disagrees with your comment

re covid 19 when i wrote this there were 57000 odd on both servers, yet only 2 months ago there were over 200000 players online and 200000 online was normal back in 2017.  for the numbers to have dropped off so quickly after the initial boost and now be so low, and according to the russian news page lower than this time last year it is not a good sign

Homer, I totally agree with you about complaints, but again i make my point about the player numbers.  also i am not saying reinstall 9.17 full stop  except for the MM i am saying go back to the game style and development as you were then, and all the years leading up to that point as at that time player numbers were increasing, after that they seem to be decreasing, and very fast

personally i never had an issue with the old MM, worked perfectly but also i had no strong opinion on the template system before it was introduced, but it was very clear very quickly how bad it is and it needs to be junked

saxsan4 #12 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:12 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25823 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostIndy_Bones, on 12 June 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'd personally be going back far further to version 0.8.7 as this was the crucial update before many of the worst changes happened IMHO.

No 'premium' ammo being slung round constantly

No SPG stun mechanic

No massively broken or 'OP' vehicles (especially not premiums)

A wider selection of maps in much better iterations than we have now

No over armoured tanks like the Type 5, Bobject, 279e etc, and tanks had actual weakspots to aim for which you learned about as you got more experienced at the game, rather than loading the gold or waiting for the reticle to tell you it will probably pen them

Original shot distribution

No soapstone rocks and many more places accessible on maps with the right tanks and if you knew how

Platoon system was far less restrictive (although fail platoons still need banning)

All chat was available

You didn't have stupid indicators telling you EXACTLY where someone had shot you from, in what tank, and what gun they were using

HE spam simply wasn't a thing, nor an issue

Matchmaker didn't insist on putting you bottom tier the majority of the time, nor were the matchups always so 'cookie cutter'

We didn't have Wheeled Vehicles doing 10,000 kmh, turning at a G-force that would liquidate any human whilst HE penning a guy 400m away with auto-aim and spotting 70% of the team in the process before escaping scot free thanks to wheels seemingly made from Captain America's personal stockpile

We didn't have idiotic personal missions that deliberately make people play either stupidly, selfishly or reliant on pure luck thus destroying any modicum of teamplay in the process

Light tanks actually had a role, instead of just being nerfed mediums and many tanks had far more personal identity instead of trying to make everything virtually the same

Team battles were far better than the current skirms or stronghold modes

Basically, it was FAR superior from a gameplay perspective, and it's such a shame that we can't have that gameplay back, but with the updated graphics and a few of the genuinely worthwhile additions rather than the mess the game has slowly become in recent years.

YES YES YES, why did they remove team battles, I miss them every single day 

DaniulSims #13 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 12 June 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Arthur, not so sure, trying to make a cohesive argument and your editing i fear misses the point i am trying to drive home, a game that was growing its player base year on year then makes changes that result in its player base crashing is making a mistake, and here are the reasons i think so

I do accept the points about defender and Jap heavies

as for server numbers every set i have seen, both on news pages, youtube videos etc shoes the game growing year on year peaking in december 2017 with the swedish tech tree, and every date point you pick , jan 2015/16/17, march 2015/16/17 etc shows an overall increase.  if you can point me to another set of figures?  i am aware WG recently said they peaked december 2015 and then plateaued which also disagrees with your comment

re covid 19 when i wrote this there were 57000 odd on both servers, yet only 2 months ago there were over 200000 players online and 200000 online was normal back in 2017.  for the numbers to have dropped off so quickly after the initial boost and now be so low, and according to the russian news page lower than this time last year it is not a good sign

Homer, I totally agree with you about complaints, but again i make my point about the player numbers.  also i am not saying reinstall 9.17 full stop  except for the MM i am saying go back to the game style and development as you were then, and all the years leading up to that point as at that time player numbers were increasing, after that they seem to be decreasing, and very fast

personally i never had an issue with the old MM, worked perfectly but also i had no strong opinion on the template system before it was introduced, but it was very clear very quickly how bad it is and it needs to be junked

This game is 10 years old. It's a miracle something so old and so niche is still alive - and the constant updates and changing has been a core reason for that. If we'd have stuck to what you or some other bloke thinks is good, the game would've gotten stale years ago and would be dead by now.

What you like is not what other people like, and especially not what is needed.

_Anarchistic_ #14 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

View PostDaniulSims, on 12 June 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

Considera how awful, unbased, absolutely biased and "based on feelings" all your points seem to be, I'm surprised you're expecting anyone not to react like I have.

and i was trying to go for thoughtful, reasoned argument, sorry i missed the target

but i do point out example, and here is 1 example as i said i have been running a second free play account and have refenced the complete absence of top tier games at tiers 6 and 7, an issue i have raised with support and am awaiting a reply telling me everything is working as intended !!

16:18 Added after 1 minute

View PostDaniulSims, on 12 June 2020 - 05:14 PM, said:

This game is 10 years old. It's a miracle something so old and so niche is still alive - and the constant updates and changing has been a core reason for that. If we'd have stuck to what you or some other bloke thinks is good, the game would've gotten stale years ago and would be dead by now.

What you like is not what other people like, and especially not what is needed.

again i am not saying stick, i am saying go back to what was working, the game had been getting developed for years, and was getting more and more players every year, you dont change something thats not broken, and if you do get something wrong you fix it, not carry on

player numbers, my simple answer to every point and clearly a lot less people like the game now than then

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 12 June 2020 - 05:19 PM.

qpranger #15 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:20 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

And make the Sturmtiger permanent premium.

I have not spend a penny on this game since last year,

but I would part with up to 40 euros in an instant.

DaniulSims #16 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View Post_Anarchistic_, on 12 June 2020 - 06:16 PM, said:

Player numbers, my simple answer to every point and clearly a lot less people like the game now than then

because the game is old, and it hasn't been gaining and retaining the new players for ages now. 

10 years after it launched, even WoW started loosing player, and that game is as mainstream as it gets, and isn't a niche arcade tank game.

_Anarchistic_ #17 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:25 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

View Postsaxsan4, on 12 June 2020 - 05:01 PM, said:

Hello,

Im sorry but you have nostalgic about a past mm that was never liked you descibed

Pre tempalte mm it was AWFUL,

games where there were 2 bottom tier, 3 mid tier, and the rest top tiers made the game playable, people would just drown yolo because there was no fun paying in such unabalced teams, I remember himemsdorf where we had no heavies and the enemies had 3, we lost pretty quick, the new mm is infinitely better and the only thing they need to do no is have +1/-1 mm for all tanks 

Pre temple mm would also have some games where enemies would have more top tiers because you had more mid tiers, or games where you had 1 tier 8 arty and the enemy had 3 tier 6 ones, it was not fun for everyone. 

Maps I agree, Ghost town has been ruined, too many open land and not enough city maps or maps like Tundra with cover

Maps should have lots of small paths so you dont get sniped form the other side

thank you for your thoughts

i have to disagree about the MM but i do understand your points.

my only issue would be your himmelsdorf point,  that for me is a map/player issue.  so what if they have 3 heavies, that means you have the advantage in mediums or tds or lights.  now lights might not be an advantage on himmelsdorf, but imagine that game on malinovka !! i never minded those types of issue, because i feel the game was better balanced overall tier for tier, not how it is now with unbalanced tiers and having a random line up allowed really great games

Balc0ra #18 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:26 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77836 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Depends on what. And who you ask ofc. As not everyone thinks most aspects were better before. Inc MM. As that's an aspect I see as better now after the small changes of late. Even maps, I don't miss a single removed map besides Port. And not many maps were better pre 1.0 IMO. Some are ofc campier like the bush heavy Fjords that is arguably seen as worst by many. While others like Red Shire became better with the new 1.0 setup for me vs before.

Then again, looking back all the time is why some aspects is just an unbroken circle. Like gold ammo vs armor that goes back and forth all the time. You need to find the balance between, not go to one point all the time. As even then, it will just circle back to something different again.

_Anarchistic_ #19 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49505 battles

View PostDaniulSims, on 12 June 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

because the game is old, and it hasn't been gaining and retaining the new players for ages now. 

10 years after it launched, even WoW started loosing player, and that game is as mainstream as it gets, and isn't a niche arcade tank game.

not sure i accept that argument for 1 simple reason

the player number dropped so quickly, an old game drifts, this game over a six month set of updates the player numbers  crashed

but i am willing to accept i am wrong, i dont have access to WGs internal numbers for example, only third party numbers

Edited by _Anarchistic_, 12 June 2020 - 05:28 PM.

Zoggo_ #20 Posted 12 June 2020 - 05:27 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34923 battles
  • [ZOGGO] ZOGGO

Don't agree with all the OPs pionts but he is basically right. WG developers have made mistake after mistake the last 3 years and now the gameplay feels as worse as it ever has with turbo games almost the normal.

9.18 was where the rot really set in with 9.18 3/5/7 MM. What fun facing tier X every game in your tier 8. Then the blatant lie trying to blame preferiential tanks for causing bad MM.

1.0 HD looked great but they dumbed down a lot of the maps into corridors and they still haven't solved soapy rocks.

WG still insisting 3 arty per team is ok. Put 0 pen on arty HE would be a start imo.

WG broke the game further with wheelies. They know the EBR 105 is broken as but how long before a fix? 6 months, another year?

Tanks without any turret weakspots, where to even start. Cancelling the 430u nerf and their complete lack of willingness to nerf the Chieftain and the 279e.

Shell rebalance on Sandbox was an abject failure apart from increase in lower tier HP. Crew 2.0 looks unhinged atm too. They are trying to run before they can walk.

The whole dev team needs to rethink what they are doing.

This game needs bad old tech tree tanks to be buffed, weakspots to be added to OP turrets and maps to be reworked to break corridor meta. Do this before anything else.

Quite honestly I have lost faith with WG dev team, they seem hell bent into turning WoT into a childrens console game. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users