cheaters cheating cheats

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Andersch #1 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:18 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 77585 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS

I see WG has displayed news about   warned a few accounts and banned some.

I would like to add that EU has 23 million registered accounts, and RU 45 million. They might as well ban dead accounts, or people sending in replays of themself cheating.

And 50K is like 0.0007353 parts of 68 million. Now tell me, if you had 68 milion euro, and put that in a fund, would you be happy with 0,07 % interest rate ?

There is not a thing in the rapports of bans that i find "comforting", as "Yes, finally" and "omg this is so good omg omg omg" 

These "news" might just as well:  never be displayed anymore, to me they are worthless. 

If you believe it, you are at best naive. No matter what you think about cheats or their effectiveness, or lack thereof.

To make it worthwhile, i would like to see a list of the banned players nicks.   I know of a few people who should be there.

wsatnutter #2 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27578 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
total tinfoilery OP

Balc0ra #3 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77816 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Well, considering the number of people that come here to say they got banned for nothing each ban wave, to ask to get unbanned... I would not say they just ban idle accounts.

Kdingo #4 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles
have been away for 2 years, would have stayed away if i had found out they banned my "dead" account to make up some cheater banned numbers.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of transparency turns this whole "cheater warned/banned" thing into a listen and believe situation, which i am never fond of. i like to verify things and not trust blindly.

But in the end i can simply choose to not care, given that i am not involved and the cheating issue is in general blown out of proportion.

NekoPuffer_PPP #5 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 37074 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

The best way to stop cheaters, is to have a system which detects them while the game's loading up, sort of a pre-boot scan of the WoT-related folders/files, and then prevent the player from logging in at all due to "potentially illegal content found in WoT directory".

Nobody gets banned, nobody gets cheated on. Win-win.

Kdingo #6 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 13 June 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

The best way to stop cheaters, is to have a system which detects them while the game's loading up, sort of a pre-boot scan of the WoT-related folders/files, and then prevent the player from logging in at all due to "potentially illegal content found in WoT directory".

As recent games shown this leads to the developer to go full bonkers and install a keylogger into your system root.

I rather deal with cheaters then having someone shove spyware up my bum.

Andersch #7 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 77585 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS

View PostKdingo, on 13 June 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

As recent games shown this leads to the developer to go full bonkers and install a keylogger into your system root.

I totally agree, which is why i would like to not ever see these "News" about bans again  :-)

jabster #8 Posted 13 June 2020 - 11:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12855 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKdingo, on 13 June 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

have been away for 2 years, would have stayed away if i had found out they banned my "dead" account to make up some cheater banned numbers.

Don't get me wrong, the lack of transparency turns this whole "cheater warned/banned" thing into a listen and believe situation, which i am never fond of. i like to verify things and not trust blindly.

But in the end i can simply choose to not care, given that i am not involved and the cheating issue is in general blown out of proportion.

So how would you verify it on the grounds that if WG were making stuff up then you can be pretty sure they'd make sure that the account names seemed very much legit?

10:56 Added after 1 minute

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 13 June 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

Excellent, give modders a mechanism to easily tell if their mod is detected or not.

Japualtah #9 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 34611 battles

Auto-aims, tundra and that arty tracer mod, forgot its name, are still around.

Don't care much though, but I'd like a legal auto-aim because I'm going old and tundra is really, really nice, I loathe WoT's aiming silhouette system, but I've been playing vanilla for years and it's rather ok.

Kdingo #10 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles

View Postjabster, on 13 June 2020 - 11:54 AM, said:

So how would you verify it on the grounds that if WG were making stuff up then you can be pretty sure they'd make sure that the account names seemed very much legit?

I can't, reason why i choose to simply not care about their numbers given that i consider cheating issue blown out of proportion anyways.

So i kinda don't believe them, given i can't verify, but as i don't care enough about this issue i see no problem in that.

Them releasing some numbers is like someone telling me how many raindrops he counted during last rain, it simply doesn't have relevance to really know or care.

Spurtung #11 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

General

• Player
  • 82273 battles
  • [USSRX] USSRX

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 13 June 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

"Let me try this....no. Let me try this other one...also no. Grrrrr, f*king anti-cheat! Trying a third mod and...BOOYAH! Their system doesn't see it as a cheat, ez"

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I think OP is using false logic

Only a small percentage of people get sent to jail but the prospect of it happening restrains what might otherwise be untrammelled behaviour.

One of my favourite classic SF short stories is Robert Sheckley's 'A Ticket to Tranai', in which our hero goes to live on Tranai, a far distant utopian planet on which there is no crime, no war, no poverty....

https://www.e-reading-lib.com/chapter.php/149381/8/robert-sheckley-citizen-in-space.html

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 13 June 2020 - 12:10 PM.

jabster #13 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12855 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostKdingo, on 13 June 2020 - 11:00 AM, said:

I can't, reason why i choose to simply not care about their numbers given that i consider cheating issue blown out of proportion anyways.

So i kinda don't believe them, given i can't verify, but as i don't care enough about this issue i see no problem in that.

Them releasing some numbers is like someone telling me how many raindrops he counted during last rain, it simply doesn't have relevance to really know or care.

But the point is releasing account names wouldn't help you verify it. Indeed I'm not sure what help it would be besides giving WoT players a chuckle and a gloat.

Objec7 #14 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18244 battles
  • [OOUUF] OOUUF

View PostAndersch, on 13 June 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

I see WG has displayed news about   warned a few accounts and banned some.

I would like to add that EU has 23 million registered accounts, and RU 45 million. They might as well ban dead accounts, or people sending in replays of themself cheating.

And 50K is like 0.0007353 parts of 68 million. Now tell me, if you had 68 milion euro, and put that in a fund, would you be happy with 0,07 % interest rate ?

There is not a thing in the rapports of bans that i find "comforting", as "Yes, finally" and "omg this is so good omg omg omg" 

These "news" might just as well:  never be displayed anymore, to me they are worthless. 

If you believe it, you are at best naive. No matter what you think about cheats or their effectiveness, or lack thereof.

To make it worthwhile, i would like to see a list of the banned players nicks.   I know of a few people who should be there.

People call me cheater daily, that's how accurate they are. I have never met a player I suspected cheating in wot, in other games a lot.

gunslingerXXX #15 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15150 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

View PostAndersch, on 13 June 2020 - 11:18 AM, said:

Now tell me, if you had 68 milion euro, and put that in a fund, would you be happy

Yes

Kdingo #16 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:17 PM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles

View Postjabster, on 13 June 2020 - 12:09 PM, said:

But the point is releasing account names wouldn't help you verify it. Indeed I'm not sure what help it would be besides giving WoT players a chuckle and a gloat.

Them saying they do something is as good as them releasing some numbers.

After all the system, whatever it is, seems to do something useful given the random "i got banned" topics etc.

In the end it matters little what we think about it, only thing that matters is the game being/remaining playable, which it does at least for me.

Indeed would a name and shame wall of cheaters might make it verifiable but at the same time lead to most likely more damage, given the playerbase. and specially as "knowing" or not makes no difference why bother with the effort.

ONE77ZERO13 #17 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:21 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 11549 battles

View PostKdingo, on 13 June 2020 - 11:39 AM, said:

which doesn't even work kekw

there were cheaters on day 1 of valorant releasing ha

Kdingo #18 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:23 PM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles

View Postsmokeytheband1t, on 13 June 2020 - 12:21 PM, said:

which doesn't even work kekw

there were cheaters on day 1 of valorant releasing ha

Yeah i heard so much, but a game forcing spyware into your system root that even runs without you playing is tingling my spider senses.

Andersch #19 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 77585 battles
  • [NTRS] NTRS

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 13 June 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

I think OP is using false logic

Only a small percentage of people get sent to jail but the prospect of it happening restrains what might otherwise be untrammelled behaviour.

One of my favourite classic SF short stories is Robert Sheckley's 'A Ticket to Tranai', in which our hero goes to live on Tranai, a far distant utopian planet on which there is no crime, no war, no poverty....

https://www.e-reading-lib.com/chapter.php/149381/8/robert-sheckley-citizen-in-space.html

To be an effective deterrent, it should resemble something that is not purely fictional.

Nishi_Kinuyo #20 Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 11245 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 13 June 2020 - 11:35 AM, said:

Except the people making the cheats will win because they'll immediately know whether or not the system can detect their cheats...

Which is also why those third-party programs are typically adverse to stopping cheaters (in F2P or cheap to play online games) because it gives the ones making them the tools to make them undetectable by the current measures in place.

And this has even led to some games installing rootkits on your PC as a means of detecting those cheats.

For those unaware, a rootkit has the exact same privileges as your operating system; so essentially, they can do whatever they want to your PC without your knowledge or consent.

A recent example of that is Valorant's anti-cheat malware.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users