Firefly VC vs Thenderbolt vs Steyr Waffenträger ? Which do you recommend ?

Firefly VC Thunderbolt Sherman tank rewards steyr waffenträger D-Day

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

13_BlackCat #1 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

I have reached the stage on D-Day, were I am close to making 3000 Tank Reward Tokens for the Premium Reward Tank.

But I have a dilemma, I'm in between choosing the Firefly VC or the Thunderbolt.

I am not a big fan of the Steyr Waffenträger, since tank destroyers are not my game-play style at the moment.

I have the Dicker Max which I hardly play, but I included the TD in this topic because I might be wrong about it.

I have watched many reviews about both tanks, but get contradicting info from each video.

I am a fan of the M4A1 and I also have the Sherman Jumbo.

I have understood so far that the Firefly has a great gun with high penetration, but weak armor, only 6 degrees of gun depression and is slower than the Thunderbolt.

The Thunderbolt has great frontal armor, better gun depression, faster loading and aiming time, but a weak gun with low penetration for its TIER.

I would like the opinion from players that have played one of these or both tanks.

Experienced in a way, at least for these vehicles.

What should I choose ?

Great Gun, High Penetration, but no Armor and Speed ?  (Firefly VC)

or

Good Armor, Fast Reload, Great Gun Handling but a weaker gun with low penetration ? (Thunderbolt)

Please Help Out.

All answers will be appreciated.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 18 June 2020 - 09:46 AM.

fwhaatpiraat #2 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:40 PM

Major

• Player
  • 63871 battles
  • [RGT] RGT
Based on tanks.gg: gun of Firefly is basically better at everything: alpha, penetration, accuracy, gun handling, dpm (barely). Sherman has 10 vs 6 degrees of gun depression though.

Sherman doesnt even have better mobility. No clue about the armor, but I doubt the armor makes up for the poor gun of the Sherman.

13_BlackCat #3 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 17 June 2020 - 02:40 PM, said:

Based on tanks.gg: gun of Firefly is basically better at everything: alpha, penetration, accuracy, gun handling, dpm (barely). Sherman has 10 vs 6 degrees of gun depression though.

Sherman doesnt even have better mobility. No clue about the armor, but I doubt the armor makes up for the poor gun of the Sherman.

I have the Sherman Jumbo, the armor is almost identical, it's good, not fantastic, just good.

But on the Jumbo, I use the Derp Gun, same with my M4A1.

If you had some experience on one of the two vehicles that would be useful.

Stats and Numbers I'm afraid is only one side of the story.

thank you for your reply

Gkirmathal #4 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8692 battles
  • [2VTD] 2VTD

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 17 June 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

OP, simply ^ this ^.

Playing any tier 6 medium (not only the Shermans) with that low pen...128mm pen was balanced for the 2015/16 meta, currently it is just masochistic to play tbh.

Would be different if the Thunderbolt would have had the derp I guess.

Galan7891 #5 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11089 battles

The firefly plays like a TD.Afterall its selling point is its gun.It mobility suffers and its armor is not going to work unless you are fighting tier 4.

I would go for the Steyr tbh.

MaxandChloe4ever #6 Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:55 PM

General of the Army

• 254 battles

Pick the VC Firefly over the Thunderbolt, as the gun on the Thunderbolt is very bad in my opinion.

fwhaatpiraat #7 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 63871 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Post13_BlackCat, on 17 June 2020 - 02:47 PM, said:

If you had some experience on one of the two vehicles that would be useful.

Stats and Numbers I'm afraid is only one side of the story.

Really valid point. I haven't played the vehicles...

I do have quite some experience in the Easy 8 though, same(ish) gun, but more mobile vehicle. Quite liked playing it, but gun can be a really big letdown, Thunderbolt has worse dpm even.

I also have played the Achilles with the 17-pounder. Enjoyed playing that thing, and ofcourse it has much less trouble penning heavy tanks, T-34-85Ms and other stuff. 128 penetration is just very bad, Polish or Italian t6/t7s also have some armor, making it struggle more than me playing the E8 years ago.

The Thunderbolt may have armor. I know from experience E2 can bounce remarkably much sometimes, but I just don't see the point in a well armored vehicle with a pew pew gun that cannot pen it's enemies. You might make it work quite well, me too, but I think it will feel like a struggle and quite annoying to play. That's why I prefer the Firefly.

Regarding alternatives; E2 with derp (and stock turret?) makes more sense to me than Thunderbolt. If I want a pew pew tank I would rather play A-43 than Thunderbolt. If I wanted an allrounder with some armor I would rather pick T-34-85M or VK30.01D (hidden gem). Cromwell and Manther also are excellent picks imo.

My 2 cents, gl getting it and have fun playing it (one or the other) ;)

Hedgehog1963 #8 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 58447 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

Firefly plays more like a TD than a MT, which might answer part of your question.

One piece of info you've not provided is what your investment is in the British and US MT lines?  The lines that could use some crew training are those to get premium tanks for.

UserZer00 #9 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14971 battles
I have a lot more games in the Thunderbolt than the Firefly, but my general impression is that the Firefly is a bit more "fun" to play mostly based on the fact that it pens more often.

I play both of them with pretty much the same play style (using the view range and supporting from behind or on a flank). This is mostly because the armor is pretty useless on both of them.

I'd more base my choice on the USA vs UK trainer angle over playstyle, but I tend to fall back on all similar types of tanks when just wanting to relax.

I dont think either is a bad choice (if you dont expect an OPd beast)

tajj7 #10 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30196 battles

Firefly is basically a TD medium and the Thunderbolt is basically a tier 6 Super Pershing.

They are IMO a much of muchness in terms of competitiveness, both are too slow to play as mediums. Firefly's gun is good, but the gun depression is awkward and the mobility is annoying for such a (relatively) low alpha gun. 

Probably the better free to play option though because of the good pen.

Thunderbolt is for playing hull down and bullying other meds with your armour, where the crap pen doesn't really matter. It plays much like any other US Sherman, except its a little bit slower and will bounce more. 

Both are IMO decent but not exceptional.

Haven't played the Steyr, but it looks like the typical bush camping TD, with not much exceptional going on. 

StinkyStonky #11 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 39465 battles
  • [DASH] DASH

One thing not mentioned, that might be important or it might be irrelevant.

Would you prefer a new British or US crew ?

I can see you don't have any British medium tanks.  For that reason I'd get the Firefly and use its crew in the Matilda (when you get it).

Alternatively, you have (or have had) lots of US medium tanks but you don't have a premium.

How many US crews do you have ?  If it's several (and they're all crap/mediocre) then a US trainer would perk all of them up. (I presume you know to put other tank crews in your premium tanks - not all beginners appreciate this).

Private_Miros #12 Posted 17 June 2020 - 03:50 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29728 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

This is the first tank rewards I have none of the tanks the tanks offered already.

It's also the first tank rewards I'm considering premium time.

13_BlackCat #13 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:46 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

View PostGkirmathal, on 17 June 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

OP, simply ^ this ^.

Playing any tier 6 medium (not only the Shermans) with that low pen...128mm pen was balanced for the 2015/16 meta, currently it is just masochistic to play tbh.

Would be different if the Thunderbolt would have had the derp I guess.

If the Thunderbolt came with a Derp Gun, I guess it would be identical to the Sherman Jumbo,

but I would still prefer it, cuz it would be premium, meaning I would earn more credits per game than the Jumbo.

But with the 128mm pen pew pew gun, I will probably be shooting a lot of premium rounds,

bye bye my credits.

But this only theory, I've never played the Thunderbolt.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 17 June 2020 - 05:46 PM.

FatigueGalaxy #14 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:50 PM

Major

• Player
  • 24117 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

Probably Firefly because it's more comfortable to play. Thunderbolt is stronger when top tier but vs tier 7 or 8 your armour is useless and your gun is pathetic.

Pick Steyr if you don't have any premium tanks. Tier 7 prems earn decent amount, much more than tier 6 prems. And it's a decent TD after buffs.

no_skill_bob #15 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34615 battles
  • [FARM-] FARM-

i had the firefly from lootboxes, but never bothered to play it, until today :D

2,3k dpg + 700 assist, won only 2/4, which i am not a big fan of, but what can you do. although its slow, i really like the gun, its amazing for a tier 6 + firefly gets to use v-stab, unlike cromwell, which really suffers from bad gun handling.

btw, what in the hell are you guys doing with firefly VC? 4k combined was not good enough for ace lol, only 1st class.

Inappropriate_noob #16 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:51 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 18995 battles
  • [KV1] KV1

View PostMaxandChloe4ever, on 17 June 2020 - 02:55 PM, said:

Pick the VC Firefly over the Thunderbolt, as the gun on the Thunderbolt is very bad in my opinion.

I once got three kills in mine, what a surprise eh? That was a long, long, time ago on the OLD Erlenburg map though:trollface:

So you play the firefly as a TD, damn that is where I have been going wrong:facepalm:

Edited by Inappropriate_noob, 17 June 2020 - 11:16 PM.

13_BlackCat #17 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

View Postfwhaatpiraat, on 17 June 2020 - 03:02 PM, said:

I do have quite some experience in the Easy 8 though, same(ish) gun, but more mobile vehicle. Quite liked playing it, but gun can be a really big letdown, Thunderbolt has worse dpm even.

I also have played the Achilles with the 17-pounder. Enjoyed playing that thing, and ofcourse it has much less trouble penning heavy tanks, T-34-85Ms and other stuff. 128 penetration is just very bad, Polish or Italian t6/t7s also have some armor, making it struggle more than me playing the E8 years ago.

Those were my 1st thoughts with the Thunderbolt and the Firefly VC.

The KV-1, the Pudel and the Skoda T40, have from 148-150 penetration at TIER 6, 128mm doesn't sound sufficient.

The Thunderbolt does not have preferential matchmaking, so it probably won't be able to pen TIER 8 vehicles, I'm assuming.

What troubles me is that when watching Skill4ltu's review on the Reward Tanks for D-Day,

he said that the Firefly was the weakest compared to the other two, which seems kinda strange to me.

13_BlackCat #18 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

View PostGalan7891, on 17 June 2020 - 02:52 PM, said:

The firefly plays like a TD.Afterall its selling point is its gun.It mobility suffers and its armor is not going to work unless you are fighting tier 4.

I would go for the Steyr tbh.

A TD with a turret sounds playable for me.

Is the armor the same or worse than the M4A1 Sherman ?

With the M4A1 and the Derp Gun, I've fought Higher TIER vehicles.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 17 June 2020 - 06:23 PM.

13_BlackCat #19 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4024 battles

View PostHedgehog1963, on 17 June 2020 - 03:07 PM, said:

Firefly plays more like a TD than a MT, which might answer part of your question.

One piece of info you've not provided is what your investment is in the British and US MT lines?  The lines that could use some crew training are those to get premium tanks for.

I'm grinding USA's tech tree, I have T20, T-29, the M26 Pershing, M4A1, Sherman Jumbo, T-32, M103 and T-67 + M2 Medium.

No Brit tanks at the moment.

Let us not put crew training in this topic.

Edited by 13_BlackCat, 17 June 2020 - 06:35 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #20 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36215 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

FWIW I have the Firefly and Thunderbolt, and I would say that it depends on preferred style of play

Firefly is a long range sniper with some exploit capability; Thunderbolt can get closer and bounces some

Neither is very fast, 40 kph max

If you don't like TDs, you won't like the Firefly

If it is a consideration, the Firefly hardly ever needs to fire premium ammo, while the Thunderbolt needs plenty.

Personally I prefer and do a bit better in the Firefly

Neither is a bad tank, and they are easy to play, but neither stands out from the crowd.

Of the Tier 6 Mediums, my favourite is the VK 3002 M, which is sort of half way between the Firefly and Thunderbolt

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users