Suddenly no camo?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Wreckedum #1 Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:49 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 127972 battles

Playing a quite 'hidey' tank with camo style, all crew camo skills, camo net. Three battles in a row I cannot achieve a spot at the beginning that I never have trouble getting to in order to spot. Even when the opposing team have no scouts or any players appearing to have much of a rating, or a tank capable of outspotting me, without being counter spotted

If I were paranoid then I might believe there is a cheat that simply lights me up. But more sanely I am wondering if it is a server side thing, with camo not being correctly applied. Is this possible? Just change server to cure it?

ps. it is not just a random thing happened. I noticed it often previously

Isharial #2 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 26621 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A) depends on the enemy tanks. some, such as me, might play these seemingly "rubbish" tanks, but with good crews so they're not as "rubbish" as people "expect". There are also a lot of crew books and bonuses handed out recently that even the new players can have very capable crews (even if them themselves are not so capable) 

B) if it was a server side issue, it would affect not just you but everyone. That would also go for those enemy tanks too, making them easier to see as well....

C) if it was a cheat (just supposing) then for you to be spotted by an enemy tank in such a way, it would have to receive that data from the server, meaning they'd literally need to hack it and force their way in... I can imagine WG would come down on that pretty hard if they discovered their servers were breached. 

C-2) They *could* have had a player on your team on services like Teamspeak and they were telling the enemy player with them on such service where you were, but that would require quite a bit of work to make sure you ended up on the opposing team, and even then, you'd still need to roughly know where said player was to hit them. it's rigging and bannable but such things are not easy to do when the server population is high, given the number of battles and people in the queue, so id imagine that this *isn't* the reason why.

I do question this part though:

View PostWreckedum, on 17 June 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Even when the opposing team have no scouts or any players appearing to have much of a rating, or a tank capable of outspotting me, without being counter spotted

Now, there is a thing called the anonymiser, which stops people such as you, viewing other players' stats. This is IMO, the most likely cause of your issue. There are good players on the enemy team, but you simply cannot see their stats, and are assuming they are not there.

wsatnutter #3 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27578 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

I play vanilla

as from today whn in a toon you click ready all equipment disappears and consumables!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but when in game they are all there

consumables that is I think its a patch bug

Balc0ra #4 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:18 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77792 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostWreckedum, on 17 June 2020 - 05:49 PM, said:

Playing a quite 'hidey' tank with camo style, all crew camo skills, camo net. Three battles in a row I cannot achieve a spot at the beginning that I never have trouble getting to in order to spot. Even when the opposing team have no scouts or any players appearing to have much of a rating, or a tank capable of outspotting me, without being counter spotted

If I were paranoid then I might believe there is a cheat that simply lights me up. But more sanely I am wondering if it is a server side thing, with camo not being correctly applied. Is this possible? Just change server to cure it?

No cheat can counter spot you first. As when you are not spotted, no info about you for a mod to read is sent to the enemy clients.

Camo is countered by view range. It just means that their view range is good enough to counter your camo, moving or not, net or not. The more view range they have, even past 445, the more camo you need to counter it. And ofc the same the other way around. For you to spot anything first, your view range needs to be better than their camo. And if you have binocs and net, and need to be stationary to get that to work. You already have a disadvantage moving up to your spot if they have optics, and are faster then you.

Echotun #5 Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:28 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24597 battles
  • [FA-1] FA-1
This is for sure a case where a few replays would make it a lot easier to lend aid. Without replays you will likely just get the spotting mechanics explained to you. 

Wreckedum #6 Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:27 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 127972 battles

Ishariel good answer. c) seems the obvious answer. This is possible and I have joined a battle with clan mates - to be able to taunt and not to give info of my own team. But 3 maps on the trot? And even if there were team mates spotting I still do not get how they could get within view range. If I have what would seem the fastest tank, with the greatest view range and push aggressively to a known safe spot I don't get it. I get lit before reaching the spot and hit by 2 or 3 tanks simultaneously. Really?

And you will see I have played a bit if not a good player and I use xvm. Before each game I check the team skills and opposition spotting I might encounter getting forward. ie. how many scouts, higher speed tanks, tanks with good view range/camo and plan accordingly. And whether a good player has 1k games or 10's of k. When I say I am pushing I mean reasonably cautiously using the range circles. I just don't get how a tank becomes so spottable

Edited by Wreckedum, 17 June 2020 - 07:33 PM.

mjs_89 #7 Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11509 battles
  • [95137] 95137
A replay would help...

LethalWalou #8 Posted 18 June 2020 - 04:55 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35862 battles

View PostWreckedum, on 17 June 2020 - 04:49 PM, said:

ps. it is not just a random thing happened. I noticed it often previously

First of all, it's definitely not cheats, as it was said someone would have to have hacked the WG servers in order to achieve something like you suggest.

The important questions are; which maps/positions are you talking about and do you have replays? Just telling what maps/position you mean, we can maybe help you a bit but with a replay we can likely thoroughly explain the matter to you.

Homer_J #9 Posted 18 June 2020 - 05:46 AM

Field Marshal

• 33938 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmjs_89, on 18 June 2020 - 04:49 AM, said:

A replay would help...

As soon as they turn replays on the problem will go away, it always does. :sceptic:

Nishi_Kinuyo #10 Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 11230 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

My replay review analytics board is opened for business again, it seems. :girl:

Or rather, it would be, had there been a replay.

View PostIsharial, on 17 June 2020 - 06:00 PM, said:

C) if it was a cheat (just supposing) then for you to be spotted by an enemy tank in such a way, it would have to receive that data from the server, meaning they'd literally need to hack it and force their way in... I can imagine WG would come down on that pretty hard if they discovered their servers were breached. 

C-2) They *could* have had a player on your team on services like Teamspeak and they were telling the enemy player with them on such service where you were, but that would require quite a bit of work to make sure you ended up on the opposing team, and even then, you'd still need to roughly know where said player was to hit them. it's rigging and bannable but such things are not easy to do when the server population is high, given the number of battles and people in the queue, so id imagine that this *isn't* the reason why.

Assuming any player would hack the server for mere in-game benefits is highly questionable, imo.

So the next point C-2: it has been tested with client-side mods to basically show to the player every enemy player's position for the entire duration of the battle.

The downsides being that it needs a dedicated server for itself, it is kinda laggy for the player(s) to use, and it needs a player using the mod on both teams.

So essentially, slightly better than the Teamspeak idea, but no by much.

And I am not aware of any modpack integrating it either, since it'd be highly illegal, and due to practical reasons (dedicated server, and lag).

So we can safely discount that possibility as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users