Game crashes because of graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Ratriq #1 Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:26 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
So recently have started have the game crash on me because of the graphics card or driver or something and I've never had this problem before in my 7 years playing this game, what could this issue be caused by? I've updated my driver and everything, nothing seems to work so my game crashed mid-game now and then.

Zamolxeess #2 Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 44952 battles
I had the same problem. For me the sound drivers where the problem. I unistalled invidia hd sound, and updated my onboard sound drivers. Never had a crash since then.

malachi6 #3 Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 51526 battles

You could have a bunch of issues that people better qualified than me will be better able to discuss.  You could be short on storage space or have a faulty drive.  Your CPU or GPU could be overheating.  You may have malware on your PC that is affecting its performance.

A boot virus scan may reveal malware or viruses.

Monitoring software such as hwmonitor can tell you if your system is running hot. 

Checking for storage space is as simple as a right-click on a drive (if using windows) and there is drive testing software available, I use crystal disk.

Do some diagnostics to attempt to eliminate some possibilities and report back

Isharial #4 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:00 PM

Major

• Player
  • 26642 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I know it sounds incredibly simple, but, have you tried safe mode? I don't know if you use mods, but since the Sturmtiger mode, it could simply be a mod conflict

Have you tried verifying your game's integrity? - Click game settings on the launcher and - "check and repair"

Have you tried deleting your cache for the game?

Since updating the driver didn't work, it stands to reason that both your old driver, and new driver aren't the cause. It could be that after 7 years your GPU is giving up? it could also be overheating as malachi said above. CPUid's HWmonitor could help diagnose if it is overheating, and thats quite a simple thing to fix (as long as its not the card that's actually broken)

qpranger #5 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

Sometimes the computer gets sick and tired of a game before the user does.

After all, computers are pretty smart.

NekoPuffer_PPP #6 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37087 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View Postmalachi6, on 18 June 2020 - 01:54 PM, said:

You could have a bunch of issues that people better qualified than me will be better able to discuss.  You could be short on storage space or have a faulty drive.  Your CPU or GPU could be overheating.  You may have malware on your PC that is affecting its performance.

Monitoring software such as hwmonitor can tell you if your system is running hot. 

Checking for storage space is as simple as a right-click on a drive (if using windows) and there is drive testing software available, I use crystal disk.

Well...no. Unrelated to graphics driver issues.

The only time my game crashed due to "graphics driver error" was when I overclocked it. It worked fine on that certain OC setting until a certain update, after which I had to lower the clocks...

If you haven't done any alterations to the performance of your GPU, you could try to simply reduce some graphics settings or limit the framerate (either with VSync or with dedicated software, such as through the NVidia Control Panel - for NVidia GPUs - or with RTSS).

Edited by NekoPuffer_PPP, 18 June 2020 - 02:06 PM.

wsatnutter #7 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27591 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

roll back your driver then use safe mode and integrity checker then get back and let us know how you got on

good luck

Ratriq #8 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postmalachi6, on 18 June 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

Nah don't think it's any of that and got quite the gaming rig. On top of that, WoT is the only game I've ever had this problem with, it could be over-heating since summer and I started to experiment with over-clocking last winter, so I've set my pc fans on max and let's see if the problem persists

NekoPuffer_PPP #9 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37087 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostRatriq, on 18 June 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

Nah don't think it's any of that and got quite the gaming rig. On top of that, WoT is the only game I've ever had this problem with, it could be over-heating since summer and I started to experiment with over-clocking last winter, so I've set my pc fans on max and let's see if the problem persists

Ah, overclocking, like I said above. Un-overclock it for WoT. It shouldn't crash anymore.

Ratriq #10 Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 18 June 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

Well...no. Unrelated to graphics driver issues.

The only time my game crashed due to "graphics driver error" was when I overclocked it. It worked fine on that certain OC setting until a certain update, after which I had to lower the clocks...

If you haven't done any alterations to the performance of your GPU, you could try to simply reduce some graphics settings or limit the framerate (either with VSync or with dedicated software, such as through the NVidia Control Panel - for NVidia GPUs - or with RTSS).

Ah, yeah this could be it actually. I did some first-time over-clocking last winter and now when I started playing wot again after the over-clock this has started to happen, haven't had any issues with other performance heavy games but eh, who knows, will probably try to lower it by a bit.

Kdingo #11 Posted 18 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles

View PostRatriq, on 18 June 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Ah, yeah this could be it actually. I did some first-time over-clocking last winter and now when I started playing wot again after the over-clock this has started to happen, haven't had any issues with other performance heavy games but eh, who knows, will probably try to lower it by a bit.

There is a catch with oc people often don't consider. Fluctuating load, specially when ocing with using powersteps. As this has your frequencies jump and usually volts adjusted and this can cause instability.

So your rig can be all fine and nice under full load for hours, but dare a game to cut the load or fluctuate and its bye bye.

Used to run my i5 3750k at fixed 4.2 ghz instead of default 3.4 never had issues. Fixed means however it always ran on 4.2 no matter the load.

Edited by Kdingo, 18 June 2020 - 07:20 PM.

Balc0ra #12 Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77836 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostRatriq, on 18 June 2020 - 02:09 PM, said:

Then get something that monitors system temps and check. Like Speccy or NZTX cam. See if it's too hot as is. As the temp can spike more in the garage vs whem playing. And if you have overclocked. Reversing it now that the temp has spiked in the air it drags into the case is not a bad idea just to see.

grouch666 #13 Posted 18 June 2020 - 10:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19177 battles
  • [UWA] UWA

I had this issue. 

I was running full screen 1440p Ultra.

i changed to windowed and borderless on high 4k and it stopped crashing. 

if you are running full screen try changing it to windowed borderless. The only issue is it’s limited to 60fps

Ratriq #14 Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:08 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostBalc0ra, on 18 June 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Then get something that monitors system temps and check. Like Speccy or NZTX cam. See if it's too hot as is. As the temp can spike more in the garage vs whem playing. And if you have overclocked. Reversing it now that the temp has spiked in the air it drags into the case is not a bad idea just to see.

Yeah, I already had that, the temperature wasn't the worst, sitting at 50-60 Celcius but it was probably the over-clock, since at least as of writing this, I haven't gotten a single crash yet, at least.

But I guess only time will tell.

22:09 Added after 0 minute

View Postgrouch666, on 18 June 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

if you are running full screen try changing it to windowed borderless. The only issue is it’s limited to 60fps

Nah, don't think it's that, since I'm already running on windowed/borderless lol. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users