Just got the AMX 30 and god ... it's hilariously bad. What can I do to make the ride more enjoya...

30B

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

totolescargo #1 Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2546 battles

I'm just trying to understand how to play that pile hot of garbage.

WG told us that they would still balance collector tanks but we all know that they're RU's forum slaves and they're shamelessly lying to our face. The collectors tanks state is basically their way to get rid of tanks they don't want to spend time balancing.

Baxk to the 30B...

I knew it wasn't too good for it's tier and that the tier IX is better tier for tier but this tank is by far the worst I've ever played.

it can't get any work done in any area :

-It's not as fast as many people tell it is. The best I can get is 55.

-The gun is atrocious. It has high DPS but it doesn't mean anything... 248mm pen with such a bad accuracy is a joke. The only few times you can get a penetrating shot on a target, it either misses or goes on a well armored area making the whole thing extremely frustrating to use. I'm starting to think it might be better not to shot at all.

It's not uncommon to not be able to pen Heavy Tanks rolling out in the open.

I also noticed that I can't pen the lower glacis of a lot of Heavy Tanks...

-It get sets on fire SO OFTEN. I had a game yesterday with it during which it happened 3 times without being hit by HE during the whole game.

-The cupola is HUGE. It makes it impossible to play with ridge lines since you're getting spot and shot before you can even start aiming at your opponent.

What exactly is that tank in the game for? It's so hilariously bad I can't even see what use it can have in the game. Everything it does, another tank does it better.

Do you guys have any recommendation about how to play that tank, whether it's about gameplay or build? I'm losing my mind over there. It can't be THAT BAD, right? I must be missing something.

Thanks.

Edit : I meant the 30B in the title, sorry about that

Edited by totolescargo, 21 June 2020 - 09:54 AM.

saxsan4 #2 Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25823 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

I like it, done 5k dmg in it before

plays as second line support not as a sniper 

_Signal_ #3 Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:47 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49476 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Its not a bad tank but theres just much better tier 9 meds, it's quite strange it used to be my go to tier 9 med but I played it one weekend months and months back and I literally couldn;t play it it just didnt work for me anymore so I just sold it.

StronkiTonki #4 Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:08 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36311 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

I never really knew what the strength of the AMX 30 was. It's I think a hybrid between the Leo PTA and Type 61 or something.

For some reason I enjoyed it though. I'm usually not the person who enjoys tanks that don't really specialize in anything, but it seemed to be work for me. The speed seemed to work pretty fine for me.

I also found it a lot more enjoyable than say an M46 Patton, which has a frustrating gun.

aleksot #5 Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:33 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 52606 battles
  • [FF-LT] FF-LT
It has good cammo and view range, and some gun depresion angles. I use it to early spot enemies, peak from hills and ofc use bushes. Every shot has to be aimed, if not, shots will not hit the target and even aimed makes lots of critical hits without damage. Works best for me in maps that has small hills and distant shots. By current perfomance im underperforming in it. 

tank276 #6 Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56305 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

In the title you say AMX30, in the text you say AMX30B. Which one are you refering to?

The tier 9 can be pretty ok as a mid distance supporter, the 30B sits pretty bad in the tier 10 bracket.

Edited by tank276, 21 June 2020 - 07:35 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #7 Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
This sounds like operator error. AMX30 is a pretty good tier 9 all round. Nothing outstanding about it perhaps, but there's nothing bad about it either, so if you're having that much trouble with it then it's likely something you're doing. 

_LongRangeSniper_ #8 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 41202 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View Posttotolescargo, on 21 June 2020 - 02:50 AM, said:

Do you guys have any recommendation about how to play that tank, whether it's about gameplay or build? I'm losing my mind over there. It can't be THAT BAD, right? I must be missing something.

Thanks.

Your thread title says AMX 30, and most people seem to have assumed that's what you're talking about. But you say AMX 30B at one point.

Then looking at the tanks you've played you have 206 games in the AMX 30B with a 36.89% winrate. I also can't see you've played the AMX 12t or the AMX 30, so it appears you just went straight to the AMX 30B.

Have you considered the possibility that rushing to tier X, and then playing a tank you've built up no knowledge or experience in might be the issue?

totolescargo #9 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:56 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2546 battles

To everybody before, I meant the AMX 30B.

kaneloon #10 Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33207 battles
  • [CROWD] CROWD

View PostLong_Range_Sniper, on 21 June 2020 - 08:01 AM, said:

Have you considered the possibility that rushing to tier X, and then playing a tank you've built up no knowledge or experience in might be the issue?

This I think. You need to practice more tiers 9, which is much more forgiving than tiers X, where you cross lots of seasoned tX players. Tiers 9 tanks are almost as good as tiers X ... and meet tiers 7.

And if you didn't spend lots of crew books on your crew (at least for camo), you will be heavily handicaped.

Blackadder83 #11 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:23 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11866 battles
I love my AMX 30! Even when it misses the side of Type 4 from 150 meters :P

NUKLEAR_SLUG #12 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

View Posttotolescargo, on 21 June 2020 - 09:56 AM, said:

To everybody before, I meant the AMX 30B.

In that case no, it's not great. Tier for tier the AMX30 at tier 9 is better.

Chiefly tho your problem is mainly you're playing at a tier that you are not comfortable playing at yet so that's compounding your issues.

saurilian #13 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21318 battles
  • [P_B-P] P_B-P

It's a very mobile front/second line DPM support, not a sniper or a brawler. There is no way you drive 55 in it, it has very good power to weight ratio and you're definitely exaggerating. It's one of best tier for tier mediums in the game, you just gotta play to its strengths. 

Posted Image

I also had a bad start with it, but it was because I was over-extending and I played like a moron. Give it time and you will eventually learn how to play it. I'm also still struggling with it but it's not by no means a bad tank.

You won't get set on fire if you don't let your enemies focus you. I run food with almost no problems, got set on fire like 3 times.

(edit) lmao.  

30B is a good tank, but you have to load a little more HEAT than in AMX 30p and play it as a medium support. Avoid brawling heavies and put your focus on supporting your light/medium tanks. Put vents instead of optics and run food. I played it alot in test server, liked it, but I didn't get it myself because I have enough tier X mediums and tier X MM is very cancerous these days. 

Edited by saurilian, 21 June 2020 - 11:41 AM.

TungstenHitman #14 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 34155 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

I wanted to like the T9 AMX 30. It had most the things I would look for in a med. It was very fast, good camo, good view range, nice strong 390 alpha, excellent standard pen, fast shell velocity and excellent dpm. However no matter how much I wanted to get on with it I found the gun very unreliable, inaccurate pile of cow dung that just kept throwing shots around the outer parts of the aiming circle, especially low into the dirt and so it just got too annoying to lose and get "outplayed" this way.

I still have it in the garage somewhere because it's almost really a very good tank and kinda still deluded into thinking that the next time I play the guns gonna work for me but I rarely play it and when I do I quickly get reminded of that troll gun and it gets ignored again for a few months lol. 

totolescargo #15 Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2546 battles

View Postsaurilian, on 21 June 2020 - 11:32 AM, said:

It's a very mobile front/second line DPM support, not a sniper or a brawler. There is no way you drive 55 in it, it has very good power to weight ratio and you're definitely exaggerating. It's one of best tier for tier mediums in the game, you just gotta play to its strengths. 

Posted Image

I also had a bad start with it, but it was because I was over-extending and I played like a moron. Give it time and you will eventually learn how to play it. I'm also still struggling with it but it's not by no means a bad tank.

You won't get set on fire if you don't let your enemies focus you. I run food with almost no problems, got set on fire like 3 times.

(edit) lmao.  

30B is a good tank, but you have to load a little more HEAT than in AMX 30p and play it as a medium support. Avoid brawling heavies and put your focus on supporting your light/medium tanks. Put vents instead of optics and run food. I played it alot in test server, liked it, but I didn't get it myself because I have enough tier X mediums and tier X MM is very cancerous these days. 

First, I'd like to say that I'm pretty new and thus pretty bad at the game. I've been playing for less than 3 months.

"Put Vents instead of optics" 

I see that you're using Vents on the AMX 30 and so am I on my 30B. I don't know if you're able to see what I put on my 30B but it goes the same as you did on your AMX 30 except that I put coated optics instead of the Rammer. Does that sound good to you? The idea there was to say "Since the gun is so unreliable, let's use the spotting range instead". 

I've also heard people say the 30B isn't too bad as a spotting medium tank.

My crew has BIA as well as Concealment skill and another skill currently in training. What would be your pick here?

The idea is to have a spotting medium tank. With Food I end up with more than 500 view range, I've heard it's a lot (would you mind explaining how good or bad that is?) but I believe some light tanks might be able to get more, defeating the whole purpose of the build.

How often do you use gold ammo on the 30B?  I find it difficult to play without it. Using it isn't exactly pleasing either with it's terrible velocity.

Finaly, do you think the 30B has enough concealment (with BIA and Concealment skill on the crew) to be a somewhat viable spotting tank? Maybe even a more than decent spotting tank?

Thanks.

saurilian #16 Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21318 battles
  • [P_B-P] P_B-P

View Posttotolescargo, on 21 June 2020 - 03:51 PM, said

First, I'd like to say that I'm pretty new and thus pretty bad at the game. I've been playing for less than 3 months.

Here is your problem with AMX 30B. 

AMX 30B is not the best tier X tank. It is quite average and you need skill to make a average tank work, especially in tier X MM. 

I'd suggest letting go the AMX 30B for a while and play T20 instead if you want to play support/all round tanks. It's a very bad idea for you to play tier X and especially AMX 30B. It's a tank that requires patience, very good situational awarness and enough skill to put yourself in positions where you can keep your gun hot 100% of the time and not get focused. I'm not the best player but I'd strongly suggest you to get a T20 and play in it for couple of hundret battles. It's a excellent tank, it has the same role like the AMX 30B and it will prepare you for higher tier support tanks. 3 MoE a T20 and then jump in something like a T44 or even the Pershing. If you'll peform well in them, then I'd say go for the tier IX AMX 30p if you want to play them so much and THEN play the AMX 30B. AMX is not good idea for a new player

snowlywhite #17 Posted 21 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31975 battles

1. you're doing ok for under 2k battles. At least much better than I did at that #. But still... till 10-15k battles, there's a lot to learn. And probably t10 is not the place to do it.

not that t10 is an enjoyable place anyway; regardless of experience.

2. judging after your name, you're french. That being said - you don't have to play french tanks because you're french. I've started with french lights and retrospectively, was a very bad idea. French tanks are probably the least newbie friendly in the game.

not bad tanks; very fun to play imho. But definitely not newbie friendly. It's about camo, flow of battle, tempo/timing, etc. Because there's no armor or great gun handling/dpm to save you.

3. 30b is bad. Like... really bad :P

4. 50b is probably one of the hardest tank to play in the game. Big as a house, no camo, no armor. About the last tank you want to play as your 1st tier 10.

totolescargo #18 Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:25 PM

Private

• Player
  • 2546 battles

View Postsaurilian, on 21 June 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

Here is your problem with AMX 30B. 

AMX 30B is not the best tier X tank. It is quite average and you need skill to make a average tank work, especially in tier X MM. 

I'd suggest letting go the AMX 30B for a while and play T20 instead if you want to play support/all round tanks. It's a very bad idea for you to play tier X and especially AMX 30B. It's a tank that requires patience, very good situational awarness and enough skill to put yourself in positions where you can keep your gun hot 100% of the time and not get focused. I'm not the best player but I'd strongly suggest you to get a T20 and play in it for couple of hundret battles. It's a excellent tank, it has the same role like the AMX 30B and it will prepare you for higher tier support tanks. 3 MoE a T20 and then jump in something like a T44 or even the Pershing. If you'll peform well in them, then I'd say go for the tier IX AMX 30p if you want to play them so much and THEN play the AMX 30B. AMX is not good idea for a new player

Thanks for the advice.

How about the rest of my reply ? Are the equipments a good choice ? Is the crew fine ?

17:35 Added after 9 minute

View Postsnowlywhite, on 21 June 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

1. you're doing ok for under 2k battles. At least much better than I did at that #. But still... till 10-15k battles, there's a lot to learn. And probably t10 is not the place to do it.

not that t10 is an enjoyable place anyway; regardless of experience.

2. judging after your name, you're french. That being said - you don't have to play french tanks because you're french. I've started with french lights and retrospectively, was a very bad idea. French tanks are probably the least newbie friendly in the game.

not bad tanks; very fun to play imho. But definitely not newbie friendly. It's about camo, flow of battle, tempo/timing, etc. Because there's no armor or great gun handling/dpm to save you.

3. 30b is bad. Like... really bad :P

4. 50b is probably one of the hardest tank to play in the game. Big as a house, no camo, no armor. About the last tank you want to play as your 1st tier 10.

I'm coming from World of Warships. On that game I also played the french boats because I found them interesting. Then I went for the Italians cruisers because they also have interesting gimmicks.
I'm playing tanks that I find interesting to play on WoT as well and the french ones are usually pretty interesting to me. I'm also thinking about doing the Italians medium as well ...

Thing is, I didn't know the Kranvagn was even a thing when I started to play ... If only I knew, I would have gone for it instead of the 50B.

At the start, it was very difficult. It took me a lot of efforts to keep on playing the game ...
I always felt like I had the worse tanks, truth is, they weren't very good to begin with, but the fact that I lack experience made it even worse.

Why is T X not an enjoyable place to play in ?

Bordhaw #19 Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 16422 battles

View Posttotolescargo, on 21 June 2020 - 05:25 PM, said:

Why is T X not an enjoyable place to play in ?

Because it's full of inexperienced players like you ?

snowlywhite #20 Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31975 battles

french tanks are fun to play exactly because they're interesting. Clip, mobility, etc. But that's also why they're hard to play - you don't trade. You need to do at least 2.5 to 1 to be worth it(and that's with french gun handling :P ) which required good timing/peak when enemy shot/etc.

t10 is bad because it's... 40%(?) 3 arty battles and 28%(?) 2 arty battle. At least that's what the figures from WG said a few months ago. Figures are from memory, but it was something around that. Which makes the gameplay quite horrid.

Those arties might shoot way less than in lower tiers, but when they hit, at least 25-30% of hp goes down the drain. Plus they have better accy. than in lower tiers. And something like 50s is penable by arty to boot; plus it's big enough to be hard to miss. Add 2 cars to the mix and... end result is very toxic game.

Italian line is probably better to start. The clip potential is way lower, dpm is bad, but gun handling is much better. Which means you don't have to go all the time very close to the action(less perfect timing needed => more forgiving). Also more comfortable to play, so you don't have to nail the perfect positioning for doing flanking shots.

swedish meds are interesting to play, not idiot proof, rather weird, etc. All in all, fun. And they have armor from t9, so a bit more newbie friendly. Though admitedly t9 is not as fun as t10. As the gun is rather derpy. But again - fun without being totally unforgiving when you make a mistake.

you can look at some t7s - wz 131(china), t20(us), amx 13 75, t71da, amx 13 57(if you want to pay). Good tier for start honestly. Not totally punishing on mistakes(guns less accurate, ppl. play worse, etc). Yet not totally useless either.

Because if you play t5 you ain't gonna learn anything. Gameplay is totally different, ppl. run around like headless chickens and when you go higher tiers you won't understand why you don't farm everyone like you're used to.

the other tier that's interesting is t9. You have preferential MM(max. +1 battles). But here you want meds instead of lights. Lights dominate t7, meds in t9. Assuming you're not interested in "hurr durr I'm heavy" gameplay. Which you don't seem to be.

but anyway - 30b is a crap tank; forget about it :P

Also tagged with 30B

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users