Jump to content


This shot is pure evil


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Ratriq #1 Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:13 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6894 battles
  • 759
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013
Been playing some games in my new amazing doom turtle, which sure lives up to its name but jesus, how did this shot actually hit, let alone pen? Poor bastard.
Spoiler
Now, any crazies out there who's interested in trying to top this one?

Spurtung #2 Posted 21 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostRatriq, on 21 June 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

how did this shot actually hit, let alone pen?

 

Because the rubble is only visual and the indicator was clearly green?

 

Unsure if this is some humble bragging thread or if you're genuinely wondering how did this happen.



NUKLEAR_SLUG #3 Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:06 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 37251 battles
  • 6,377
  • [FISHY] FISHY
  • Member since:
    06-13-2015
It hit because you aimed it. It penned because it overmatched his roof armour. 

UrQuan #4 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:26 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 22469 battles
  • 7,657
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-19-2011

You hit the roof/cupola, so that goes through + some environment hitboxes offer holes to match visual clues, in this case, rubble hitbox has a hole where you expect it (because you can see through it) -> to find environmental hitbox edges, check for tank outlines when you target them close to some stuff (like that rubble).

And in the gif, prior to shooting you had a red outline + the center of the circle was at the cupola/roof of the Object 257 -> Boom, no more Object 257.



Ratriq #5 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:35 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6894 battles
  • 759
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostSpurtung, on 21 June 2020 - 06:21 AM, said:

 

Because the rubble is only visual and the indicator was clearly green?

 

Unsure if this is some humble bragging thread or if you're genuinely wondering how did this happen.

You must be fun at parties...

 

Either way, I know how it technically happened, I'm not stupid, but the fact still remains with how small the gap was and the fact the shot still hit the tiny weakspot and didn't hit some other part of the turret thanks to rng. I'm just genuinely surprised with what the odds of that actually happening is.
 

There is nothing to brag about anyway since imo, this is barely about skill anyway, this is mostly just about luck and being at the right spot at the right time.



Private_Miros #6 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29728 battles
  • 11,837
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostRatriq, on 21 June 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

You must be fun at parties...

 

Either way, I know how it technically happened, I'm not stupid, but the fact still remains with how small the gap was and the fact the shot still hit the tiny weakspot and didn't hit some other part of the turret thanks to rng. I'm just genuinely surprised with what the odds of that actually happening is.
 

There is nothing to brag about anyway since imo, this is barely about skill anyway, this is mostly just about luck and being at the right spot at the right time.

 

The distance was quite small, the gap wasn't exactly small, and the shell just needs to graze the roof top to overmatch.

Will RNG cause that to be a miss sometimes? Sure. But it's hardly surprising that it connects if it goes somewhat straight to where you aimed.



kaneloon #7 Posted 21 June 2020 - 09:48 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 33197 battles
  • 4,697
  • [CROWD] CROWD
  • Member since:
    11-18-2011

If I remember correctly about 20% of the shots really go exactly where you are aiming.

In the remaining 80% are the shots that weren't well aimed and still connected ;)



NekoPuffer_PPP #8 Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:06 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 37074 battles
  • 5,411
  • [VRTC] VRTC
  • Member since:
    09-13-2013

In the Sturmtiger mode, on Ensk, I aimed at the sky with an HE shell and randomly killed a guy.

 

It was funny, but felt so dirty...



Ratriq #9 Posted 21 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6894 battles
  • 759
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 21 June 2020 - 08:39 AM, said:

 

The distance was quite small, the gap wasn't exactly small, and the shell just needs to graze the roof top to overmatch.

Will RNG cause that to be a miss sometimes? Sure. But it's hardly surprising that it connects if it goes somewhat straight to where you aimed.

I mean looking at how I turned and looked for a weakspot, it seemed like the weakspot was in a quite small area of the turret, now add that on top of that tiny weakspot gap and all that rubble covering half of the top of the turret  (dunno what you say but in my eyes that still a tiny gap) and then rng somehow not screwing me over and actually hitting exactly that small weakspot point. I'd still call that lucky since I was looking for a weakspot and I could barely find any on the small bit of the top of the turret that was shown.



Private_Miros #10 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29728 battles
  • 11,837
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostRatriq, on 21 June 2020 - 09:35 AM, said:

I mean looking at how I turned and looked for a weakspot, it seemed like the weakspot was in a quite small area of the turret, now add that on top of that tiny weakspot gap and all that rubble covering half of the top of the turret  (dunno what you say but in my eyes that still a tiny gap) and then rng somehow not screwing me over and actually hitting exactly that small weakspot point. I'd still call that lucky since I was looking for a weakspot and I could barely find any on the small bit of the top of the turret that was shown.

 

It's a good shot, sure. But it's also a logical one, and despite RNG memes, most well aimed shots still hit where you aim.



Ratriq #11 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6894 battles
  • 759
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 21 June 2020 - 10:33 AM, said:

 

It's a good shot, sure. But it's also a logical one, and despite RNG memes, most well aimed shots still hit where you aim.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't make any sense, I know why and how it happened, but I'd say the odds are pretty much against the it.

Plus eh, RNG can for sure screw over so many shots in a row that are well-aimed it's not even funny. Had a whole match in my T95 where I managed to somehow miss 80% of all my shots and almost all were mostly fully aimed in. So RNG is a lot more noticeable in some matches.



Private_Miros #12 Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29728 battles
  • 11,837
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostRatriq, on 21 June 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't make any sense, I know why and how it happened, but I'd say the odds are pretty much against the it.

Plus eh, RNG can for sure screw over so many shots in a row that are well-aimed it's not even funny. Had a whole match in my T95 where I managed to somehow miss 80% of all my shots and almost all were mostly fully aimed in. So RNG is a lot more noticeable in some matches.

 

Weird how perception works.

 

Your odds are very much in favour. Sure, RNG can mess shots up, but you still have a much higher chance of hitting than missing.

 

If you have a battle where you take 10 shots and miss 80%, to get to an average hit rate of 78.5%, you have the equivalent of 2,3 battles where you hit everything. i.e. the 80% misses are a more rare occurrence than hitting a well aimed shot.


Edited by Private_Miros, 21 June 2020 - 02:42 PM.


Ratriq #13 Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 6894 battles
  • 759
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    07-07-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 21 June 2020 - 10:58 AM, said:

 

Weird how perception works.

 

Your odds are very much in favour. Sure, RNG can mess shots up, but you still have a much higher chance of missing.

 

If you have a battle where you take 10 shots and miss 80%, to get to an average hit rate of 78.5%, you have the equivalent of 2,3 battles where you hit everything. i.e. the 80% misses are a more rare occurrence than hitting a well aimed shot.

Aight suppose you got a point but I didn't really mean it like that, of course, those totally random shots are one the more rare side but I meant more with the shot actually exactly almost to pixel perfect hits, where it goes exactly where you wanted it go. Most often the shot goes in an about almost where you want it to go direction, here it went exactly, is in almost pixel direction where I wanted it go.



Spurtung #14 Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostRatriq, on 21 June 2020 - 08:35 AM, said:

the fact still remains with how small the gap was and the fact the shot still hit the tiny weakspot and didn't hit some other part of the turret thanks to rng. I'm just genuinely surprised with what the odds of that actually happening is.

 

The gap isn't that small, really. The wood frame is only visual, so all there is is a wall to the left, and rubble on the bottom, that's your framing and that's where the turret was. You aimed at the cupola and it hit exactly that. If anything, this is how all full aimed shots should behave at that distance.



splash_time #15 Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:30 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 17044 battles
  • 2,228
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    02-20-2018

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 21 June 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

In the Sturmtiger mode, on Ensk, I aimed at the sky with an HE shell and randomly killed a guy.

 

It was funny, but felt so dirty...

 

I wish if I've could try that mode myself (No internet access recently). :(

That would feel absolutely funny especially with friends. 



MPV_11 #16 Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:53 PM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 39077 battles
  • 448
  • Member since:
    01-09-2015
Don't listen to these wet blankets - I thought it was a great shot. Well done!

Private_Miros #17 Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:56 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29728 battles
  • 11,837
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostMPV_11, on 21 June 2020 - 01:53 PM, said:

Don't listen to these wet blankets - I thought it was a great shot. Well done!

 

The funny thing is the wet blankets are saying it's a great shot, while he is "lol freak luck".



Spurtung #18 Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 82273 battles
  • 8,447
  • [USSRX] USSRX
  • Member since:
    07-05-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 21 June 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

View PostMPV_11, on 21 June 2020 - 01:53 PM, said:

Don't listen to these wet blankets - I thought it was a great shot. Well done!

 

The funny thing is the wet blankets are saying it's a great shot, while he is "lol freak luck".

IKR



Bigtime_Alarm #19 Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:07 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 24728 battles
  • 744
  • Member since:
    05-14-2013

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 21 June 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

 

It's a good shot, sure. But it's also a logical one, and despite RNG memes, most well aimed shots still hit where you aim.

Which version of WOT are you playing? I want that one, in mine well aimed shots go into deep space and enemy unaimed snapshots are the only accurate thing



Private_Miros #20 Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:11 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 29728 battles
  • 11,837
  • [EMU87] EMU87
  • Member since:
    07-09-2011

View PostBigtime_Alarm, on 21 June 2020 - 02:07 PM, said:

Which version of WOT are you playing? I want that one, in mine well aimed shots go into deep space and enemy unaimed snapshots are the only accurate thing

 

I'm not saying that doesn't happen, I'm saying people over-estimate the frequency it happens.

 

Your hit rate is worse, but you're also not as good a player as OP, so expected with less pre-aiming and anticipation, but regardless you still comfortably hit 70% in higher tier tanks.

(Not that hit rate is such a relevant stat over a certain threshold in a meta where blindshot spamming is a thing.)


Edited by Private_Miros, 21 June 2020 - 03:12 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users