Stop at UDES 03 or go for Strv 103B?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

saurilian #1 Posted 22 June 2020 - 03:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21164 battles
As much as I would love to own a Strv 103B, I think I'd be better for my mental health to not own too many tier X tanks. What's your opinion about UDES 03? How does it compare in terms of being enjoyable to Charioteer (love this one)? And is it really worth it going up from it? 

MaxandChloe4ever #2 Posted 22 June 2020 - 04:15 AM

General of the Army

• 254 battles

The UDES 03 is not very good when compared to the tier 9 and tier 10. Your armor is 20mm so literally everyone can overmatch you, even tier 6 tanks have 61mm+ calibre guns. Your speed in the siege mode is limited to 5 km/h forwards and backwards, which is bad.

The STRV 103-0 is a big step-up from the UDES, you have 40mm of armor, so your armor actually works sometimes, and your speed in siege mode 10km/h, which is double that of the UDES. The tier 10 is also a good tank, because of the upgrade in its DPM and accuracy.

However, if you don't want to play tier 10 tanks, just stop at the STRV 103-0. The difference between it and the UDES is huge, and that between it and the STRV 103B , well let's just say you can stay at tier 9 if that's what you want.

saurilian #3 Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:06 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 21164 battles

View PostMaxandChloe4ever, on 22 June 2020 - 04:15 AM, said:

The UDES 03 is not very good when compared to the tier 9 and tier 10. Your armor is 20mm so literally everyone can overmatch you, even tier 6 tanks have 61mm+ calibre guns. Your speed in the siege mode is limited to 5 km/h forwards and backwards, which is bad.

The STRV 103-0 is a big step-up from the UDES, you have 40mm of armor, so your armor actually works sometimes, and your speed in siege mode 10km/h, which is double that of the UDES. The tier 10 is also a good tank, because of the upgrade in its DPM and accuracy.

However, if you don't want to play tier 10 tanks, just stop at the STRV 103-0. The difference between it and the UDES is huge, and that between it and the STRV 103B , well let's just say you can stay at tier 9 if that's what you want.

Why do so many people like the UDES 03 then? Many claimed the tier 9 to be just weird tank and that they kept tier 8 instead. If I’ll get the tier 9, I might just as well buy the tier 10 since I have it researched already with blueprints. No armor is not a issue for me, I play mostly paper, mobile tanks so I know how to play around it.

no_skill_bob #4 Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:14 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 34615 battles
  • [FARM-] FARM-

Stop at tier 9, pretty much the same tank one tier lower, tier 9 is better at close range engagements, because for some reason it gets better traverse speed than tier 10, which means alot for a turretless td, especially with 0 gun traverse. I hated tier 10 strv, hull traverse is total crap, cant assault, like tier can. I mean if you like only sniping from redline, sure go for strv 103b, otherwise no. I dont like to play passive with tds. Thats exactly why i hate e3 and bobject as well, terrible track traverse leads to passive plays, because you simply get get rekt, if you play aggressive.

About the udes part, although i even got kolobanovs with it, it seriously lacks dpm, people like it mostly because of great standard pen and pretty much the best camo you can get. Thats it, there is nothing else good about it.

Edited by no_skill_bob, 22 June 2020 - 05:17 AM.

PointZero #5 Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:23 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 48991 battles

Udes is a pure defensive bush camper where you'll want to engage at range and then use the mobility to create more range between you and your target as you fall back to another location where you can engage at range. Optionally you'll want to use that speed to move up with the attack to get flanking shots in as long as you do it safely and have allies to deal with anything you might encounter. Anything and everything will pen you, will easily circle you when close and you're pretty much helpless in siege mode due to the time it takes to get out of it and the horrible forward and reverse speed in siege which rules out trying to peek ridges with the tank while your opponents are paying attention.

However what you can do is set up an ambush by aiming down which tilts your suspension up, bringing rear part of your tank up on the ridge and right after you fire you press X to get out of siege mode which then lowers your suspension and you're back behind hard cover for the duration it takes to get out of siege and you're ready to run to a better location. If you absolutely have to spot for yourself make sure to use double bushes to your advantage and have a route ready for you to run away to the next ambush location when they start to get uncomfortably close.

I stopped at Udes 03 because it gave me the "new" mechanic to try out and the tier 9 just seems more of the same except that now your gun is fixed to the hull so you can't take those few saving shots when out of siege mode if there is even the tiniest of bumps in the terrain. With it you also need to know every gun caliber your opponents are likely to use so you'll know if your armor will hold or not with the added bonus of getting autopenned by every soviet steve in the game just by looking at you because 122mm overmatch. Lower calibers can switch to HEAT and behold everything pens again. Same gameplay with less mobility, slightly better performance moving in siege mode and armor that is on/off/permanently off for soviets.

04:33 Added after 9 minute

View Postsaurilian, on 22 June 2020 - 07:06 AM, said:

Why do so many people like the UDES 03 then? Many claimed the tier 9 to be just weird tank and that they kept tier 8 instead. If I’ll get the tier 9, I might just as well buy the tier 10 since I have it researched already with blueprints. No armor is not a issue for me, I play mostly paper, mobile tanks so I know how to play around it.

A combination of accuracy, pen, mobility, camo, the ability to keep camo net & binoculars active when turning the hull and the perfect excuse to sit at the back doing nothing because that's how the tank has to be played in most maps.

VarzA #6 Posted 22 June 2020 - 05:47 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29134 battles
  • [USAGI] USAGI

View Postsaurilian, on 22 June 2020 - 04:45 AM, said:

As much as I would love to own a Strv 103B, I think I'd be better for my mental health to not own too many tier X tanks. What's your opinion about UDES 03? How does it compare in terms of being enjoyable to Charioteer (love this one)? And is it really worth it going up from it? 

I went to the t10, yes ... the Udes 03 is better in the grand scheme of things.

For 30+ % of the total xp of the line you can get best camo in line, best speed in line, best gun depression in line and the best accuracy in line (i think tied with the t10).

Dpm is OK, pen is amazing, it's insanely good on open maps.

I'd say stick with it.

JollyRogerz #7 Posted 22 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17083 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
I have the S1, is it worth getting the UDES? I skipped it when grinding this line but based on the comments here I almost regret skipping it. But I also read the two were very similar so I didnt see the point in buying the tech tree if the premium is close. 

_Anarchistic_ #8 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:02 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 49501 battles

103b

problem is not where to stop but do i want to start, entire line crapuntil tier 8!!

Richthoffen #9 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:12 AM

Major

• Player
  • 33033 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

personaly i prefer the tier 8 udes 03 over the tier 9 strv 103-0 as it just works beter for me.

as for the strv 103B, yes go for it a lot of people seem to think its not much of an upgrade from the 103-0 but it punches trough the superstructure of a JP E100 from the front without having to press 2, that allone does the trick for me.

Lanrefni #10 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:23 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 39431 battles

that's because UDES has the mobility all the others don't really have. these TD's don't need armor, if even gimmick, it ruins them.

if you get hit in these TDs, then you must have done something wrong yourself.

S1 would've been the perfect premium, if it didn't have all this useless armor, all it needs is more mobility.

Geno1isme #11 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:43 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 49953 battles
  • [TRYIT] TRYIT

View Postsaurilian, on 22 June 2020 - 06:06 AM, said:

The UDES has three good attributes:

- gun, esp. the highest penetration at T8

- speed when relocating

- excellent camo rating

It pays for those with:

- no armor at all (expect to be penned by HE rounds)

- very bad mobility in siege mode

- mediocre alpha, DPM and accuracy (compared to other T8 TDs)

- low HP pool

The combination makes it pretty good as long as you remain unspotted, but once the enemy can target you you're in a world of (quick) pain. You can't compare it to other mobile paper tanks esp. not those with turrets due to siege mode which prevents you from taking shots of opportunity.

aps1 #12 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 30794 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6

To be honest all these tanks have good and bad points.

If you are wanting to do TD/coalition missions then I would step up to the tier ten(Grand battles is a bonus) . If you participate in clan wars then I would step up to the tier ten. If not then stay ta tier 8.

Tier 9 is good I got my biggest ever amount of kills in the tier 9 on korrelia (yes the camping bush we all like to go in, 9 kills so it is fun to play.

FataL_ShadowZ #13 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:45 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 15888 battles
The 103B for me is some ways a disappointment. Yes it does bounce smaller calibre shots and is also better than the Tier 9 however I find there are many games where you rarely get the opportunity to engage the enemy and can end with low damage scores. Though it would be my preference, pushing to forward positions is fraught with danger thanks to EBR 105's as you risk getting tracked in siege mode several times leaving you a sitting duck to be farmed (Overlord's bush-lined basin and Redshire's South central hill are examples). It's by no means a bad tank, just very situational.

snowlywhite #14 Posted 22 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31876 battles

I have few games in udes; but I've looked at the gameplay a lot before starting the line.

The gameplay seemed horrid on paper, but... it's much worse in reality. In t9-t10 at least you get 33% less time to enter/exit siege(big) and double the siege mode speed.

In theory spotting for yourself and then retreating the last 2-3m so you're 15m behind the bush is great. In practice, with 5km/h speed... at least for now, I can't make it work. At least t9-t10 might be tiny bit conducting to an aggressive play(tiny) due to armor. The t8 is...

dunno, can't compare udes with charioteer imho. Udes is probably the worst t8 I've ever played. Charioteer is a paper med(thing that I know how to play). And a great paper med to boot. Can push with it when top tier, has hesh when top tier, etc. Udes is... total garbage. Red line and even more red line. Most useless tank ever.

And trust me: I've tried to make it work offensively. As redlining is not my thing. For the time being... never managed to make it work. Btw. - the definition of a useless tank(udes). My only ace in ~40(?) battles was on a lost game. Admittedly, after you pass the stock gun, it's way better. But that's only because stock it's almost unplayable.

you can't make any play. Definitely not with 2s for siege mode. With 1.3s(t9-t10)... still weird, but maybe, somehow, sometimes. They either drive like muppets in front of your gun or they don't.

splash_time #15 Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:16 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17029 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postsaurilian, on 22 June 2020 - 05:45 AM, said:

You judge mate. :rolleyes:

http://wotreplays.eu..._time-strv_103b

http://wotreplays.eu...sh_time-udes_03

http://wotreplays.eu...sh_time-udes_03

Oh and yeah, I've completed 4-5 of my 260's TD missions using UDES 03. :popcorn:

(The most one i enjoyed was the "x5 damage" which completed it with a beautiful 5k damage and an Ace).

Hyina #16 Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 66710 battles

Udes was a dream, amazing t8 sniper, has the best mobility and able to scout in the right situations.

I hated the t9, gun stats was a lie and trolled me hard during marking. Vast majority of guns you will face can auto pen and for those that cannot, these days people sling heat into you left right and centre, plus, cupola can be overmatched by HEs of right calibre.

Put it this way, I rather mark the Udes to 150% if I could, than do the t9 basic 3 mark again.

The experience from tier 9 put me off even buying the tier 10 tbh. 

Edited by Hyina, 22 June 2020 - 10:34 AM.

jack_timber #17 Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45378 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Where you can play the stealthy sniper it is great, city maps though :(

103b can bounce a lot whereas UDES can be penned by a toffee hammer.

splash_time #18 Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:28 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17029 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postjack_timber, on 22 June 2020 - 12:34 PM, said:

Where you can play the stealthy sniper it is great, city maps though :(

103b can bounce a lot whereas UDES can be penned by a toffee hammer.

Easy. Any tank with less than 122 mm caliber will bounce off Strv 103's. But for udes, the armour is so weak overall, even T2 tanks can overmatch it's armour. :D

Edited by splash_time, 22 June 2020 - 11:29 AM.

Warzey #19 Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 61797 battles

View Postsplash_time, on 22 June 2020 - 10:28 AM, said:

Easy. Any tank with less than 122 mm caliber will bounce off Strv 103's. But for udes, the armour is so weak overall, even T2 tanks can overmatch it's armour. :D

The issue is that a lot of tanks on high tier come equipped with HEAT shells which will make a short work of strv 103's armor. The only way for strv to survive such fight is to be at good hull down position at long range. 

Richthoffen #20 Posted 22 June 2020 - 11:44 AM

Major

• Player
  • 33033 battles
  • [MS-] MS-

iff you get over run in any of these td's you need to look more on the minimap, plan your actions and escape and retreat before you are swarmed.

they drive just as fast backwarts as forwart so no problem relocating, the trick is not to get spotted all the time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users