Northwest corner on Highway is broken. Fix it.

Maps Highway Balance

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

NekoPuffer_PPP #1 Posted 23 June 2020 - 01:54 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37074 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

The southern team has:

• more cover on approach
  • a hill to counter north team
  • more convenient sniping/spotting bushes near the "highway" road

The northern team has:

• one big obvious bushline on the redline near the base
  • one building to hide behind, open to crossfire from the hill on A1 and from the "highway" road in the middle

Furthermore, the issue is amplified by the fact that medium tank players rarely go there, presumably because it's so bad, which makes one-sided rushes through the northwest corner within the first 3 minutes such a common occurence.

You took so much effort to make this map look good with that big tornado in the background, but you failed to do anything about the balance of each team's positions.

I'm not asking for a mirrored flank. Just give the northern team more options, more cover to work with. I think simply removing the hill on A1 might help balance things out for each team. Please look into fixing it...

LethalWalou #2 Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:04 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35862 battles

Hasn't it been complained that north side wins the corner always. So now people finally adapted to how the map is and south team actually plays it not-badly. I personally always did think that south has the advantage once they realise how to play not-badly.

While the bush cover towards the corner for north is sufficient, it doesn't allow them to contest the corner position effectively. South can get there unspotted behind the fence and thus create a surprise for north team. It has become common practice, even more common than in past, for north team to just not go there anymore and camp base instead.

North still has the opportunities to play wide there and ignore the corner which means that it's luckily not that bad of a situation. Maybe players will soon learn that.

Edited by LethalWalou, 23 June 2020 - 02:05 PM.

Steeleye_Spam #3 Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:06 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 38956 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Well, that's probably the case RE: southern advantage, but in my experience the NW corner is just a graveyard for mediums from both sides. If you don't have a significant numbers advantage both sides are stuck trying to snap shots out whilst being sniped by TDs and nuked by artillery. I stopped going there.

UserZer00 #4 Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:36 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14955 battles
I just don't like the map because it makes me paranoid.

It seems that no matter where I seem to rush to, hide or poke from there are always at least 4 pre-aimed guns waiting for me.

Sure this can happen on other maps when you make a stupid move / choice, but not with the same magnitude as on Highway.

I still like the map though.

Cobra6 #5 Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16624 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

When playing the map I don't feel any side has a disadvantage to that corner, from the north you just have to not go to the actual corner squares but rather near the water tower toward the middle. You can clear the corner from there or prevent players from actually going there.

Cobra 6

NekoPuffer_PPP #6 Posted 23 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37074 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

View PostCobra6, on 23 June 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

When playing the map I don't feel any side has a disadvantage to that corner, from the north you just have to not go to the actual corner squares but rather near the water tower toward the middle. You can clear the corner from there or prevent players from actually going there.

Cobra 6

The map is too flat to allow that. You just get slapped in the side by tanks in the middle. If it ever works, it's because there's nobody in the middle sniping you. Meanwhile, the south team's defense area is out of render range from the north team's base defense spots, the only areas it's safe to shoot from.

Balc0ra #7 Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77792 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

It's still better than the old Highway.

The A1 corner etc is mostly a factor of support from both sides. If the TD's are not behind them, no scouts on the flanks etc. Meds won't go there. And that map is more dependent on lights than most other maps. One light at the right spot can dominate that part of the map. Regardless of your team pushes A1 or not. As having a scout that moves so far up he sees their bush support, the TDs at the back or even the flankers is more vital from both sides then having guns on A1 that can't see anything. And just hides behind the building as they can't do anything.

But that said. I've seen the South team play more passive on that side vs North tbh. As in not even pushing A1 etc. Just sit on their TD hill with the meds and wait. Making it even easier for an enemy LT spot them from the small town cover. And when that happens. I tend to go aggressive on the spotting and lock that bush in the middle of the small town and hope they hit anything spotted in the middle before they get counter spotted.

splash_time #8 Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 17029 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

It used to be on my banned list sitting next to himmelsdorf. But after Empire's borders introduction, i replaced it with Empire's borders. 

The way i play on Highway is always going into the city (HTs and MTs and TDs) after clearing HTs, i go to defend the base. 

The meduim tanks corner is just unplayable, because of the fact that the southern team can dominate the north flank by shooting from below the bridge in middle(LT spot), the hill of northern base, don't forget the house in middle which is a broken cross fire toward almost everywhere, even artys can shoot you. 

The only way to win that map is by rushing the city, and just defend the base from either the corner pushing flank, or either sneaky LTs. 

LethalWalou #9 Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 35862 battles

View PostCobra6, on 23 June 2020 - 01:45 PM, said:

from the north you just have to not go to the actual corner squares

I personally find this a minor problem. I fully agree that north just shouldn't go there, especially if they haven't made sure that south doesn't have support looking there. But they should be able to frankly. It is quite strong position for south to use the corner and the small hill there. They can't really engage the tanks right next to them though but you can create crossfire towards the bridge and shoot the base campers if they get spotted. North seems to have bit harder time to deal with base campers and with the corner area. This has shifted in my experience to people indeed not going there and LTs focusing on the way to the city. It's easy to get early spots and potentially high assistance damage from the heavies trawling to the city.

All_up_in_ur_grille #10 Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 37204 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

Southern spawn has advantage over northwest corner and North spawn has advantage over city. Both spawns have defendable cap circles

IMO, this makes for decent dynamic gameplay and Highway being one of the more enjoyable maps to play on

Elefantzeel #11 Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:03 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16952 battles
Almost all maps are broken due to big variety of tanks and mechanics they did introduce over the years. They bring new features but maps remain the same, this is a big problem. The last map "Berlin" is a map designed by blind people. That map has no sense for every class you play with. But they do this on purpose to make the game difficult to increase people spending money on premium time to ease their play thru their lame [edited]game.

Head_has_Exploded #12 Posted 24 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 928 battles
  • [KV1] KV1

Fix it! 

Oh sure and you think WG are going to jump to you little demands, I mean you even think they read the forums, or listen to what their playerbase would like other than their RU brethren.

Take it or leave is their dictum, their house, their game their rules.

Fix maps by providing more hull down spots ,more bushes, better TD positions, better passive spotting area's, make maps better, provide more maps, give us back the old ones  limit gold spam, buff HE, buff armour, nerf armour, buff the leafblower to 3 metres splash damage, and all other arties to 9 metres splash damage,(especially so in the M44.

Buff Skorpion G, give it some armour so it can at least bounce a few shots when trying to do something useful

Buff the mighty Tog, the list goes on and on about that we demand, and you know what happens when we demand thing, WG just sit back, chuckle say yeah whatever and give us all a nice juicy big fat middle finger......

So how about we ask politely, we still get the big fat middle finger but hey politeness costs nothing right, unlike most things in this game.

norbar #13 Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 5548 battles
South has the advantage on that corner but going to the city the other team can shoot south heavies IF you have a good scout. If enough people realize you can exploit that south with autolose city.

KillingJoker #14 Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44020 battles

I fully agree with this...

the South team have way better positions to counter the north push allowing the TD's to snipe and farm almost without trades, unless

the light tank from northen team knows how to spot and provides decent intel, the south team in general will win the field.

They either must remove houses from the E line and make the it a more equaly exposed area,, or add more houses in the north side, so the northen team can

at very least have more cover.

But, considering so many other problems that ruin other maps who are in my opinion worse than highway, i can't expect much.from WG map design team.

11:52 Added after 3 minute

View PostAll_up_in_ur_grille, on 23 June 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Southern spawn has advantage over northwest corner and North spawn has advantage over city. Both spawns have defendable cap circles

IMO, this makes for decent dynamic gameplay and Highway being one of the more enjoyable maps to play on

Yes, in a way, this map ends up being better than others that are completely simetrical, and at same time boring to play because both teams match each other in positions and end up just being defensive,, like Kharkov, Berlin and so on.

But truth is... the South mediums and td's have way more advantage on the field than North heavies have advantage in the Town.

Also tagged with Maps, Highway, Balance

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users