Is tier 10 too easy to get to nowadays?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

Ratriq #1 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6885 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Been seeing some posts talking about this for a while and well, I've experienced this myself so kinda curious how many people agree on this.

I remember the xp boosts and that being the first thing starting this whole thing, we had blueprints but in the start, if I remember correctly, they were quite hard and rare to get, almost to the point they were almost useless. Now cause of recent events, battlepass, missions etc. They are given out willy nilly.

Now my biggest gripe with tier 10 being to easy to get to nowadays is because of blueprints but first, why do I personally think getting to tier 10 too quickly is bad? let alone why am I critiquing the game for literally becoming less grindy?

There are 2 reasons for this, reason 1 is just outright it has allowed inexperienced players to get into tier 10 way to quickly. I remember back in the day when I was an utterly complete baby tomato, I played on and off since 2013 and I just got my first tier 10 last year when I managed to play a lot more decent. This also makes sense, since because of how bad I played back in the day, my average xp per match was just horrendous thus, bad play means slower progression. If you are a good player it's easier to get tanks, in other words get into high tiers.

Now, reason 2 is just outright because it feels to the point of the game having too little grind nowadays, like, I last week just wanted a Jagdpanzer E 100 since I just looked at it and loved the big gun, but also, I wanted a T95 and couldn't decide on which I wanted. Now, what did I do in a situation like this? Easy, I just used all my spare blueprints from the recent events, battlepass, missions, etc and literally researched 2 whole lines in the span of a couple of seconds and bought both of them.
I invested 0 time in getting 2 tanks I wanted, that, back in the day, would require a lot of grinding and careful consideration if you really wanted the tank to actually grind through and get it. For the record, I also invested almost 0 free experience to get these tanks, only blueprints to unlock tanks, and some to unlock modules that locked be behind researching the next tank after.

I remember a couple of years ago or so, looking at tier 10 tanks as a mostly a rare novelty, which was something really hard to get and it might've not been that hard, but for a bad player like me, it was a real challenge and more or less a "dream" to get one in the future, it outright took me about 6 years to get one.
Now it has gotten to the point of thanks for all blueprints and xp boosts that for some players, like me, I literally run out of purpose in the game, since I've mostly gotten all tanks I've really been interested in, I got the E 100 researched, Maus, T95, Jagdpanzer E 100 etc. I have literally researched the E 100 but haven't bought it cause tier 10 tanks just don't feel special anymore, at least for me.

WoW, not the game about boats, but World of Warcraft is a perfect example of grinding being a core part of the game. WoW is most famous for being an addicting and really popular mmo cause of the grinding been done right, it really takes time and effort to get items and gears, but when you get it, it really feels like an accomplishment. Hell, WoW just got re-released in another form, called WoW "classic" where they've literally gone back and removed all new features from the modern WoW and released it as a separate game, cause most of the playerbase complained that modern WoW is too easy and have lost too much of its grind.
Grinding is an important aspect in a lot of games, especially in an MMO like WoT, but it's also important that the grinding is done right, not too easy, not too tedious but to still leave a place for the player to have a mission/journey on what they want to do in the game.

Long story short (not needed to read if you read the stuff above), modern WoT thanks to many new features/changes have created 2 new problems imho, which is both new players are getting way too easily to tier 10 thanks to blueprints without having to spend any time on actually grinding for the tank. This, of course, has ruined a lot of the balance aspect of WoT and tier 10 matches are just filled with less skillfull players on average. 

The second problem which is my biggest gripe is just that now, it feels like the grinding actually too easy, I just researched 2 tanks almost completely with blueprints, T95 and the Jag E 100 without grinding the lines in any way prior, with almost only blueprints.
The lack of working for tanks you really want, makes it feel like I didn't earn them in the same way, I didn't really put in any effort in getting them, thus makes getting new high tiers tanks just feel a lot more stale and less special. Let alone remove a lot of the whole tech trees WoT have, since I can just skip over 90% of all the games content and grinding.

NekoPuffer_PPP #2 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:44 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 37005 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

Pretty sure it should be possible to get to tier 10 in a single day if you apply all possible boosters, convert all the free xp and convert any gold you have laying around (or bought to boost yourself) into credits.

If not within a day, definitely within a week.

That's just not good for the health of the game. Speeding up progression brings the endgame closer. Once you've researched everything...what incentive is there to keep playing?...

Ratriq #3 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6885 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostNekoPuffer_PPP, on 25 June 2020 - 11:44 PM, said:

Pretty sure it should be possible to get to tier 10 in a single day if you apply all possible boosters, convert all the free xp and convert any gold you have laying around (or bought to boost yourself) into credits.

If not within a day, definitely within a week.

That's just not good for the health of the game. Speeding up progression brings the endgame closer. Once you've researched everything...what incentive is there to keep playing?...

Especially when for most players at least, from what I know, are only interested in a few specific tanks/playstyles in the game, I was always mostly just interested in the Maus, Jag E 100 and T95. Now I've got all 3 of them, and 2 of them didn't even require me to play any of the previous tanks before them, at all. 

What now is left for me in the tech tree is just a couple of tanks at tier 9 to 10 that I just feel like maybe wanting to try for 5 or so battles one day, but not really more than that. Especially when I've gotten so comfortable with blueprints and all that, that I legit barely feel like even wanting to bother grinding them when I know I can just wait to get free blueprints for doing almost nothing to research them with minimal effort in the future.

Edited by Ratriq, 26 June 2020 - 12:52 AM.

The_Naa #4 Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:07 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 12159 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Well for me when I started my Alt it took me 250 battles in IS-2M to get the needed XP and credits + the 60 blueprints from last Xmas event to have my way cleared for tier 10. And i dont have even have a single tank from the tech tree played, other than the IS-4 that I was after.

So Create account, do tutorial, buy Premium tank of choice, do boot camp Missions, get free tier 6, do Xmas event, get 60 national blueprints, play 250 games in total give WG 40€ for gold, convert gold to Free XP and research the tier 10 of choice.

ortega456 #5 Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:18 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 70035 battles
Yes

LCpl_Jones #6 Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 14371 battles
considering tier 6 is now entry level, yeah probably

Head_has_Exploded #7 Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:24 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 882 battles
  • [KV1] KV1
No

Robbie_T #8 Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 22734 battles
  • [BBMM] BBMM

YEs to get to lvl 10 is easy nowadays.

Kdingo #9 Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:10 AM

General

• Player
  • 33192 battles
Yes, but i don't think it matters anymore. WG was always willing to sell high tier prem tanks to complete noobs.
So you always had a certain amount of completely useless players in high tier, if they are now playing tier 8/9/X is rather irrelevant. It sucks either way.
Lost a substantial amount of games in my is2 yesterday, bottom tier and the 3-5 tier9 turn out to be one shot dpg 40-45%.
Specially bad if you have this kinda player platoon as this ensures whatever team gets them is even more screwed.

At least playing for damage is always an option.

_GrooziN_ #10 Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:45 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4093 battles
It's funny how tiers 6/7 are 'low tiers' nowadays, full of headless chickens. I used to like playing tier 7, now it's bad and tier 6 is unbearable, due to the chaos.

At certain times of a day, higher tiers are absolute sh1tshow as well.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's a good way out. WG definitely doesn't want to make the game grindy and restrict high tiers for noobies. Maybe economy change would help, making loosing credits on a bad game on tier 9/10 even more severe.

StronkiTonki #11 Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36196 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

My record of unlocking a tier 10 would be the 60TP.

It literally took me only 29 battles in the 50TP to unlock it, granted, I did free exp the upgrades of the 50TP, but that's besides the point. The 60TP costs 186.860 exp to research, so on average, with all my boosters and bonuses and whatnot, I got an average of 6443 exp every single battle.

And no, I did not just do one daily double every day. I did this across 1 or 2 sessions of playing for a few hours.

Also keep in mind, this average exp includes losses. I won 15 out of those 29 battles. So the other 14 were losses with maybe a draw in there.

Not too long ago, I decided it was time for me to get all tier 10 tanks, so I actively started playing tier 9, since I had gotten my hands on all remaining tier 9 tanks that I needed to finish all trees.

It was a pertty big list of tanks that I still needed to get to tier 10. But it went pretty fast, having some days where I would unlock 2 tier 10 tanks on one day, and another one on the next day, and another two not long after.

Definitely had gotten like 5 or so tier 10 tanks within a week for sure.

Soyeah, gathering exp is too easy. prem acc, personal reserves, extra x3 claims with prem and mostly the broken x5 exp missions. Combine this with a special that might give you extra exp for every win as well, and you can literally not call it a grind anymore.

I miss the times when it was a special and satisfying thing to unlock a tier 10 tank. But with most of the tanks I unlocked, it felt nowhere as satisfing as unlocking my first few tier 10 tanks.

The only good thing I guess is that this OP exp progression has made it a lot quicker to endure getting all tier 10 arties.

Edited by StronkiTonki, 26 June 2020 - 09:33 PM.

kaneloon #12 Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33147 battles
  • [CROWD] CROWD

It stays long for a real f2p who starts now to unlock a tiers X.

What you describe is a paying player.

And he will just pay more and more as he will be frustrated by crossing "OP tanks" and losing credits and being victimised at higher tiers.

Anyway, I "slowly rushed" in direct line (playing only 2 trees) to my first tiers X back in 2012 and I don't see what is wrong with that.

You cannot learn to play tiers X at tiers 6.

Tom_Soop #13 Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:35 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 55389 battles
This is where crew skills should matter more.
If you can be bothered to play a particular tank for a long while, the reward should be that you are stronger in it and benefit more from your experience and commitment.

Sadly WG rig the rng so that your 5 skill crew in you favourite 1500 game tank can get owned by a 2 week noob shooting heat way too often.

Also, you'd think that reaching the next version of tank would give you better performance and be a step up from the previous.
Its rarely the case. You mostly get the same gun and a heavier vehicle with a poorer engine and a weaker turret.
WZ132 was one of my favourite tanks and performed well.
Going to tier9 WZ132-1, every single spotting, camo, mobility and firepower stat was worse on the next tank, and always going to see tier10. Its crap.

RSA_TriHard_7 #14 Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53539 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS
Yes much faster these days to get to tier 10 with prem account x5 daily.Then also boosters and blue prints.I have alot of free xp so sometimes i free xp to tier 8 and grind from there.I also made the mistake when i started playing to rush to tier 10 like alot of new players do then found out my tier 10 is not invincible :teethhappy:

splash_time #15 Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:56 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 16913 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Absolutely. I remember when it was without the blueprints, it wasn't possible to reach TXs like now at all. Yes, we did have boosters and etc, but the maximum xp you've could get if you're lucky was 16k in the best scenario case. 

Now, all you have to do is, fully free xp the modules of the line, and blue print your way towards the TX without any battles whatsoever. I've seen players that were shooting HE with a Jadg pz e100! 299 base pen and they shoot HE! :D

It's not only about the way they grind, but also the experience they gain while grinding. But, who cares nowadays? :)

Edited by splash_time, 26 June 2020 - 07:58 AM.

Marten85 #16 Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:01 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 29673 battles
  • [4SALE] 4SALE

Short answer: Yes. Even for a bad player like me. I have too much tier 10s, and I barely play them cause I am frustrated by my incompetence in tier 10.

Long answer:

When a game goes on this long as WoT did, it needs new content to entertain the old players, but it also needs to give new players possibility to catch up. I cannot imagine how a new player would feel when it looks at the loads of tanks they can posibly research. It might be overwhelming. (Now of course, the "new content" for WoT is not really there, but that is another topic).

It is also a common thing that high-level player generally do not like grinding. They just want to get the new steel into action. Now they can. It is in fact also a credit saver cause you do not have to buy the tanks before on the line.

Last but not least, it allows to skip tanks which are just bad.

Dikkeh0nd #17 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:14 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 24191 battles
  • [E-BAY] E-BAY

I came back from a long WOT break and was able to unlock and buy 4 t10 tanks within 3 or 4 weeks.

Kinda ridiculous.

Edited by Dikkeh0nd, 26 June 2020 - 09:15 AM.

_GrooziN_ #18 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:37 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4093 battles
Yeah, just for the record: with my 4k battles, I have 9 tier 9s and 1 tier 10 that I play (or played) and 3 more tier 10s unlocked that I could buy at any point of time. Kinda crazy.

Bordhaw #19 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:39 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 16380 battles

View PostRatriq, on 25 June 2020 - 11:29 PM, said:

I remember a couple of years ago or so, looking at tier 10 tanks as a mostly a rare novelty, which was something really hard to get and it might've not been that hard, but for a bad player like me, it was a real challenge and more or less a "dream" to get one in the future, it outright took me about 6 years to get one.

This is why.

WG have to attract and keep new players in a world where everything is competing for peoples attention and time. 

guinty1 #20 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:49 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 28518 battles
seems loads easier than the grinds of yesteryear thats for sure.The only thing is paying for it all ,playing t10 and having too fire gold a lot coz everyone else seems to do it nowadays is expensive ,Ive got loads of tanks researched that i havent bought yet. I doubt a lot of the new peeps coming too game wouldn't tolerate the grinds we had back 9 /10 years ago lol .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users