Struggling with fun

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

Unicorn_of_Steel #1 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:21 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20929 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

Not meant as a rant. I love this game, it is my favorite pass time. I am very critical towards some changes that will be implemented but bottom line, i simply love the game. However, lately i find it difficult to enjoy it as much as i did and therefore i am a little lost regarding what to do with it.

I am not a fan of the nowadays almost standard 1-5 versus 15 steamrolls, leading to game over in less then 5 minutes. It's workable when driving a fast tank so i can keep up with the battle pace or run away fast enough. Anything slower or relying on camo makes me struggle to do enough damage. E.g. i love the Tiger II but i had so much battles where i simply couldn't do enough damage because i couldn't keep up with the pace of the battle that i simply sold that one. Now i am playing the Udes 03 and the same happens, its either a solid fire for effect or literaly 0 damage. I simply don't like this new standard in WoT gameplay, not as the victim but also not as the victor.

So now i have this dillema. I would like to grow to tier 8-9-10 on several lines. But that takes a lot of time and real money as well to stay competitive. At the same time i look at my old and trusty tier 4-6 tanks (most sold but nevertheless) and i remember the fun i had in those. If i have the same fun in an IKV 103 as in a Udes 03, why would i spent all that time and money to grow? Or even worse, if i know i can have great fun in extremely cheap to buy and profitable to run stuff like a Pz. III J, Marder 38 T and StuG III G, why would i choose to struggle to make a living in the higher tiers?

Sometimes i start up the ingame comparison tool and built myself a garage of "guaranteed fun" tanks....and end up with on average 10 tier 4-6 tanks plus 2 tier 8's. And those 12 to 15 tanks always include stuff like the Leopard, Chaffee, AMX ELC Bis, AMX 13-75, WZ 131 and Kan. Jpz. 105.

Guess i am missing some value for money & effort in the higher tiers that i still do see in the lower tiers. How do you guys (and girls) see this? How do you motivate yourself to keep grinding?

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 26 June 2020 - 09:35 AM.

Kartoshkaya #2 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:27 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30026 battles
  • [S4BRE] S4BRE

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 26 June 2020 - 09:21 AM, said:

How do you guys (and girls) see this? How do you motivate yourself to keep grinding?

I use blueprints.

Unicorn_of_Steel #3 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:29 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20929 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View PostKartoshkaya, on 26 June 2020 - 09:27 AM, said:

I use blueprints.

Yeah, me too. I can research and buy more then enough tier 9's. But that doesn't change my dilema.

RSA_TriHard_7 #4 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53656 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS
I have alot of tier 10 tanks and play tier 8-10 only.I havent really grinded a tank line for some time now only play the tanks i have.If lower tiers is where you have the most fun then play it nothing wrong with that.You can try a few tier 8 battles if you are not having fun or struggle go back to what you like :)

Head_has_Exploded #5 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 928 battles
  • [KV1] KV1
Boredom more than anything, and the idea of trying to increase ones stats in order to prove you are good to no one who ever cared fun is not part of this game, (anything that involves numbers is never fun) you know when you press battle your team will melt as you try to vainly hold a flank, actual team play is a nothing but a romantic dream, and there will be tons of arty and gold ammo in the battle. This so called game is just a masochistic exercise in frustration control, fun, nope, of to gulag for you.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #6 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:33 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37251 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
If you like the lower tier tanks then buy back some of your favorites and just play those. There's no rules says you have to play high tiers if you don't care for it.

Kartoshkaya #7 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:37 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 30026 battles
  • [S4BRE] S4BRE

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 26 June 2020 - 09:29 AM, said:

Yeah, me too. I can research and buy more then enough tier 9's. But that doesn't change my dilema.

No, I use blueprints from tier IV to tier X. And for tier I II and III I use free exp (and also for the equipements required to unlock the different tiers). The dilema changes cause I don't have to grind at all, I just play the tanks I like the tiers I like.

Edited by Kartoshkaya, 26 June 2020 - 09:38 AM.

Unicorn_of_Steel #8 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20929 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View PostRSA_TriHard_7, on 26 June 2020 - 09:30 AM, said:

I have alot of tier 10 tanks and play tier 8-10 only.I havent really grinded a tank line for some time now only play the tanks i have.If lower tiers is where you have the most fun then play it nothing wrong with that.You can try a few tier 8 battles if you are not having fun or struggle go back to what you like :)

View PostNUKLEAR_SLUG, on 26 June 2020 - 09:33 AM, said:

If you like the lower tier tanks then buy back some of your favorites and just play those. There's no rules says you have to play high tiers if you don't care for it.

That really is the o so simple but at the same time correct answer, isn't it? 

kaneloon #9 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:54 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33197 battles
  • [CROWD] CROWD

Yeah, you should only play tanks you have fun with. Which means you'll never finish some campains but if you already have too many tanks ... you won't care.

You can also reroll or if you created other accounts years ago they will be full of fun tanks like t50-2 or super-hellcat and small premiums.

chainreact0r #10 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36701 battles

So now i have this dillema. I would like to grow to tier 8-9-10 on several lines. But that takes a lot of time and real money as well to stay competitive. At the same time i look at my old and trusty tier 4-6 tanks (most sold but nevertheless) and i remember the fun i had in those. If i have the same fun in an IKV 103 as in a Udes 03, why would i spent all that time and money to grow? Or even worse, if i know i can have great fun in extremely cheap to buy and profitable to run stuff like a Pz. III J, Marder 38 T and StuG III G, why would i choose to struggle to make a living in the higher tiers?

Once you become good enough at higher tiers, you start to see the lower tier mm as the chaotic cesspool that it is.

If you like playing lower tiers, stick with it, take the blue pill, remain oblivious to the actual quality of the gameplay and enjoy yourself.

Ratriq #11 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:15 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 6894 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Well I mostly just play the tanks I have a lot of fun in, sometimes I mix it up with playing some other tank in my garage but as of now, I most of the time just play my favourite tanks which are mostly KV-2, T95 and lil' Deathstar.
I also give myself some missions like maybe marking the tank or earning some rewards in it, like these new earnable emblems we've got and then put it on the tank to show off.

Unicorn_of_Steel #12 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20929 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View Postchainreact0r, on 26 June 2020 - 10:11 AM, said:

Once you become good enough at higher tiers, you start to see the lower tier mm as the chaotic cesspool that it is.

If you like playing lower tiers, stick with it, take the blue pill, remain oblivious to the actual quality of the gameplay and enjoy yourself.

Mwah, its not that black & white. I enjoy my Udes 14-5, my Cent RAAC and Kan. Jpz. 105. I had fun in the AMX 13-90 and the Lynx. I loved the Tiger II. I perform below average in tier 8 and up but i can enjoy those, as long as its not a 5-15 steamroll. So its a mix of tier 4 to 8. Its more a question of value for money/effort versus fun when grinding out new higher tiers.

10:12 Added after 1 minute

View Postkaneloon, on 26 June 2020 - 09:54 AM, said:

Yeah, you should only play tanks you have fun with. Which means you'll never finish some campains but if you already have too many tanks ... you won't care.

You can also reroll or if you created other accounts years ago they will be full of fun tanks like t50-2 or super-hellcat and small premiums.

I could do  a reroll in the sense of selling of all tanks that i rarely play and buy back the ones i really liked. I have done that a couple of times, including selling stuff like the T-54, Leopard PTA, WZ 120 and AMX 13-90.

10:16 Added after 6 minute

View PostRatriq, on 26 June 2020 - 10:15 AM, said:

Well I mostly just play the tanks I have a lot of fun in, sometimes I mix it up with playing some other tank in my garage but as of now, I most of the time just play my favourite tanks which are mostly KV-2, T95 and lil' Deathstar.
I also give myself some missions like maybe marking the tank or earning some rewards in it, like these new earnable emblems we've got and then put it on the tank to show off.

For me those are the VK Leopard, AMX ELC Bis, AMX 13-75, Panther, Strv. 74 and the Hellcat. I could easily sell all other tanks and still have enough fun/challenge. 

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 26 June 2020 - 11:14 AM.

PowJay #13 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:47 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43122 battles

A question: what is the point of playing? Ultimately, it should be for fun, but you can also enjoy the challenge. I will explain how my thinking has evolved as briefly as possible.

1. Start game. Aim for several famous tanks such as Tiger I, M4 Sherman and T-34. Along the way I saw many different tanks that seemed to do well (such as the ELC AMX bis (as was)) and decide to start other lines.

2. By the time I got to tier V and had paid NO attention to crew training and knew NOTHING about equipment, I started to learn and saw more tanks that I would like to try. My general aim is to play everything. I also realise that I SUCK in the T-34 (I have done three times) and the M4 Sherman (and have largely done so in every Sherman variant since) and generally realise that I should play tanks I like and not (necessarily) famous ones.

3. Long story short, I climb the tiers, but slowly. I do learn some things along the way, but generally it does not translate well into higher tier play. I aim for a few tier IX and X, but this is not my end-game. As various missions and campaigns come and go I realise that I need higher tiers to make it possible/easier and so my grind continues. ALSO, as each new nation appears I try them as well and I have currently done ALL nations to at least tier V in pretty much every single line and to at least VII in most

4. I realise that I really cannot play tier X. I stop aiming for X. I play IX for missions and even have a few that I can maintain a positive WR with. I continue to grind some lines, but I also hammer a number of older tanks for crew skills.

5. Over the last couple of years I aim to stop grinding all together. That day has finally arrived. I have 84 regular vehicles from tier III to X. ALL are Elite. All have crews with at least one extra skill/perk complete. 77 of these have at least 50% WR and the others are close enough or are so suitable for missions that I don't mind keeping them.

So we arrive at today. What are my reasons for playing? Fun? Yes. I still have fun, but it is often tinged with extreme frustration at teams/players that cannot even TRY. The challenge? Yes, I have missions activated, but also I like to have great battles where I simply do well and enjoy myself. There are many on my Replays from most tiers. These are the reason why I play- for that one battle where I can punch the air and shout YES!

The amount I play and the vehicles I play are largely dictated by the daily missions and events. Today I played 20 battles, but mainly because it took me SEVEN battles to get the last kill for the daily Premium mission. It took me thirteen battles for the 10 extra Tank Reward tokens, so I would have stopped there were it not for that last kill.

I am also playing for Battle Pass and have already maxed out a few tier VI and VII vehicles so that also dictates what I play.

So, what are your objectives? Are they REASONABLE? If you do get that tier X TD are you REALLY going to be able to do 8,000 HP of damage for TD-15-4, or are you just dreaming? If your objectives are unrealistic given your overall skill level, then you are going to be frustrated and you are going to wonder why you bother. If you take the game for what it is and play at a level that suits you- or drive to improve to play higher tiers effectively- then you should enjoy the game more.

I currently have a reasonable expectation that I can achieve most of the Campaign missions from the first PM campaign. I don't expect to get the Object 260, but I don't think it is unreasonable to think that I can complete most of the missions in the end. Likewise, I do NOT expect to get the Object 279, but there is no particular reason why I shouldn't get most of the missions for the Chimera. If I do- great, if I don't, then I understand that it was never meant to be. I am fine with that, because I understand the concept of being rewarded for hard work, unlike some who simply want to buy their way to everything- including PM tanks.

Obviously there are days when I am frustrated more than I should be. I have mostly had a terrible week of negative to largely neutral WR which has seen my WR drop from a recent high of 52.66% down to 52.59%- which is quite a big drop given the number of battles I have had. Nonetheless, within that mess I have completed a couple more missions and so I stick with it.

Maybe this post was more for me, but only you can look at yourself and ask yourself what your objectives are and whether they are reasonable. Good luck. :playing:

Unicorn_of_Steel #14 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20929 battles
  • [R_D_A] R_D_A

View PostPowJay, on 26 June 2020 - 11:47 AM, said:

Thanks man, this helps.

When i started the game i wanted a Panther, Tiger, Jpanther, Tiger II and S-tank. I started browsing the internet looking for IRL tanks and stumbled upon the Chaffee, Hellcat, Str. 74, AMX 13-75 and WZ 131. Apart from the Tiger II and S-tank i can play those tanks with relative succes (being an eternal Joe Average at best) and plenty of fun. I like the look of the models and i like the fact that they existed IRL.Tiger II was bearable besides the fact that i had too many battles where i was to slow to stay close enough to the enemy. Leaves the S-tank, i guess i'm currently trying to learn the play style with the Udes 03.

If i am fair i dont think i will get good enough to ever be able to carry games at tier 8-10. I can tangle along but thats about it, and thats not counting the turbo battle meta i dont like at all. That leads to games with a negative income and a red WN8....and all of that causes my fun to vanish like ice in todays weather (32 degrees here). I do have enough challenges on the low tiers left, like 3 marking my VK Leopard and/or Crusader and 2 marking the other stuff (all have 1 MoE), or simply get all my current tanks over 50% (now there's a challenge....). 

So, is my original goal reasonable? Yes, with a little question mark re the S-tank. 

I think i have my answer.

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 26 June 2020 - 12:30 PM.

jabster #15 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12855 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postchainreact0r, on 26 June 2020 - 09:11 AM, said:

Yes well, the idea that other players may enjoy the game in a different way is obviously beyond you.

mpf1959 #16 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:04 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37725 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

If i have the same fun in an IKV 103 as in a Udes 03, why would i spent all that time and money to grow? Or even worse, if i know i can have great fun in extremely cheap to buy and profitable to run stuff like a Pz. III J, Marder 38 T and StuG III G, why would i choose to struggle to make a living in the higher tiers?

Indeed, why would you? And there is the answer to your dilemma, IMHO. :girl:

jabster #17 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12855 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostUnicorn_of_Steel, on 26 June 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

That really is the o so simple but at the same time correct answer, isn't it? 

Unfortunately it's the part that very much took a large slice of enjoyment out of the game for me. I used to have the mentality of just a few more battles and I'll have enough exp. to unlock that module, the Civ effect as I like to think about it. Once that basically disappeared so did a lot of fun of the game, as you may be able to tell from my battle count.

Not a lot of help I know but at least it means you're not the only one.

chainreact0r #18 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:34 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36701 battles

View Postjabster, on 26 June 2020 - 12:02 PM, said:

Yes well, the idea that other players may enjoy the game in a different way is obviously beyond you.

What do you mean?

That's exactly what i acknowledged and recommended.

If someone struggles or is not very good with high tier tanks, that's because he doesn't fully understand the gameplay at that level, hence playing lower tiers is more fun for them. I don't know a single player who is good at and enjoys high tier tanks while simultaneously considering lower tiers fun. Once you go bl...higher tier you never go back.

jabster #19 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12855 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postchainreact0r, on 26 June 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

What do you mean?

That's exactly what i acknowledged and recommended.

If someone struggles or is not very good with high tier tanks, that's because he doesn't fully understand the gameplay at that level, hence playing lower tiers is more fun for them. I don't know a single player who is good at and enjoys high tier tanks while simultaneously considering lower tiers fun. Once you go bl...higher tier you never go back.

What do I mean, why don't you try actually reading my post that you responded to or do you find that a bit difficult?

Edited by jabster, 26 June 2020 - 12:49 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #20 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I do okay at tiers 2 to 6 and can make some contribution to the team so that's where I play most of my games and I see no shame in it

Occasionally I will play Tiers 8 or 9 but with no great expectation of success

At Tier 10 my humiliation is guaranteed, so I don't go there.  

If an average player goes for low tiers he is a 'sealclubber' and if high tiers he is a 'useless noob who should play Tetris' so is never going to score in an in-game messaging or forum popularity contest

Generally I will go up a line until I find one in which I am useless, at which point I sell it and put the crew back in the last one that worked for me

This is my way of dealing with the Peter Principle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_principle

220px-Cover_of_The_Peter_Principle_by_Pa

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 26 June 2020 - 12:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users