Hitting a statistical ceiling ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
25 replies to this topic

qpranger #1 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

One of the reasons I stopped playing WOT (except Frontline) last year. My stats had not improved much for a while despite me really trying hard, but falling flat because of poor teams. Some may say that I just hit my individual skill ceiling, but I was not ready to accept this. I knew I could do better - and I am indeed doing better now in War Thunder.

In WOT I stagnated not because of my skill limitations, but because of certain game mechanics that smothered my performance. Firstly, the pathetic "aiming circle" that so often negated my well-aimed shots with fully researched and equipped tanks and excellent crews. Secondly, the hitpoints system, that allows stupid or simply inattentive players to survive clever ambushes, crippling shots, etc.

So I am still getting better and I am sure I will eventually hit my tank gameplay skill ceiling due to IQ and age restrictions, but it will be MY SKILL CEILING and not something imposed on me by dumb game mechanics in WOT.

RSA_TriHard_7 #2 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:32 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53685 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS
I was at 47 % wr at 10k battles and about 4k PR i kept on improving today i cant believe i am at 53% wr and 8k + PR my aim is to get to 9k PR.I remember the day i hit 50% wr i was so happy.I am also 37 years old so these days i dont play that much during the week because i am  to tired after work like yesterday i played 5 battles and i was done.Over the weekend i play more.Things that also is against me is i play from South Africa with 160 ms ping + - but yea i can feel my reflexes and map awareness is not what it was as it is with most people getting older but im still improving tho.I still have that young kid will to fight in me :)

OniichanSenpai #3 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:35 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2689 battles

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 10:16 AM, said:

... I stagnated not because of my skill limitations, but because of certain game mechanics that smothered my performance. 

And this is the reason average players remain average. Blaming the team, WG or god for their own incapabilities.

Just never start to improve. In psychology this is called externalizing your own problems. It will leave you very frustrated not only in a game, but also in life.

Edited by OniichanSenpai, 26 June 2020 - 10:44 AM.

OreH75 #4 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:43 AM

Major

• Player
  • 56293 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF
Not understanding dumb game mechanics is exactly the reason for hitting your skill ceiling. 

saxsan4 #5 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:47 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 25823 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
just ignore stats and play for fun 

Head_has_Exploded #6 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:50 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 928 battles
  • [KV1] KV1

View PostOniichanSenpai, on 26 June 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

And this is the reason average players remain average. Blaming the team, WG or god for their own incapabilities.

Just never start to improve. In psychology this is called externalizing your own problems. It will leave you very frustrated not only in a game, but also in life.

Oh yes, not allowed to blame a team that IS bad, oh no, as Saxan says, just ply for fun, screw the stats queens and shamers, more fun in a toon in voice comms having a giggle and a beer.

ZlatanArKung #7 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:01 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 10:16 AM, said:

One of the reasons I stopped playing WOT (except Frontline) last year. My stats had not improved much for a while despite me really trying hard, but falling flat because of poor teams. Some may say that I just hit my individual skill ceiling, but I was not ready to accept this. I knew I could do better - and I am indeed doing better now in War Thunder.

In WOT I stagnated not because of my skill limitations, but because of certain game mechanics that smothered my performance. Firstly, the pathetic "aiming circle" that so often negated my well-aimed shots with fully researched and equipped tanks and excellent crews. Secondly, the hitpoints system, that allows stupid or simply inattentive players to survive clever ambushes, crippling shots, etc.

So I am still getting better and I am sure I will eventually hit my tank gameplay skill ceiling due to IQ and age restrictions, but it will be MY SKILL CEILING and not something imposed on me by dumb game mechanics in WOT.

So you hit your skill ceiling but can't accept it so you try to find reasons as to why you are not improving which lies outside of yourself.

Similar reasons why players think MM is rigged, all that are better than them cheat and so on.

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25755 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 09:16 AM, said:

Firstly, the pathetic "aiming circle" that so often negated my well-aimed shots with fully researched and equipped tanks and excellent crews. Secondly, the hitpoints system, that allows stupid or simply inattentive players to survive clever ambushes, crippling shots, etc.

It's the same system that all players, including good ones have to deal with. You benefited just as much from surviving clever ambushes and crippling shots as any other inattentive player.

There is no logic in your claim.

chainreact0r #9 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:19 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36723 battles

View PostHead_has_Exploded, on 26 June 2020 - 10:50 AM, said:

Oh yes, not allowed to blame a team that IS bad, oh no, as Saxan says, just ply for fun, screw the stats queens and shamers, more fun in a toon in voice comms having a giggle and a beer.

When you are not a very good player, you can't say a team is bad because you don't have enough knowledge to make that claim since "badness" or "goodness" is subjective and relative to the situation.

For example, i played my wz-120 on ruinberg and rushed the op window position. I farmed their tier x mediums and locked down any potential play on the field effectively winning the game for my team. After a few minutes i pinged a centurion AX who literally camped the redline all the way in the back of our side of the field and told him to move up since the middle was empty and completely safe.

Then some master tactician renegade started pinging me and calling me a camper. I was sitting in the windows ready to spot any relocation or anyone firing and the guy thought i was a bad camping player.

He was completely clueless about the flow of the battle and he had 53% wr, proving once again how bad the current playerbase really is.

mpf1959 #10 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:21 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37828 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I am a great player, why WG keep putting me on bad teams? :ohmy::trollface:

azakow #11 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:37 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 87403 battles

qp is improving.

Spoiler

On the other I am cerain that I've hit my skill ceilling.

Spoiler

Edited by azakow, 26 June 2020 - 11:37 AM.

Private_Miros #12 Posted 26 June 2020 - 11:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29730 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Considering others are better with the same game mechanics and team "smothering their performance", it's safe to say you haven't tried hard enough, and that WOT isn't imposing your skill ceiling, but your own abilities are.

Alternatively, stop imposing unrealistic expectations on yourself and accept your skill level. That way you have fun.

kaneloon #13 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33207 battles
  • [CROWD] CROWD

The only advantage of not refusing your guilty past of trying to do something of a (russian) t28 is that your later stats can only improve :)

You then have the option of playing higher tiers.

In my case I still have food + gold ammo use to claim, so I have a nice margin.

Then my last option will be to spam a monster tank, full ofimproved equipment and directive.

Rati_Festa #14 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:02 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53102 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

What an odd post.

If I and Messi both played football on opposing teams but everyone played with bare feet would Messi still be more effective than me in the match?

The answer is yes.

If everyone has the same disadvantages the "ceiling" is lowered but its lowered for everyone. 

It's quite ironic you refer to your "IQ" in your post as well... that made me chuckle.

qpranger #15 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

Maybe I could get better still in WOT, but I cannot force myself to play anymore with the two limiting factors mentioned in my opening post. I find them utterly degrading. I deserve better tank gameplay mechanics and War Thunder has them.

I have seen one of the best WOT players, MouzAkrobat try War Thunder on his YouTube channel, he seemed so helpless at first, that was so funny to watch. War Thunder is just on a higher level when you got brains. Don't limit yourself by WOT and you will achieve more than you could in WOT. I have learned my lesson and expanded my skill application.

Edited by qpranger, 26 June 2020 - 12:11 PM.

azakow #16 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 87403 battles

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:

I have seen one of the best WOT players, MouzAkrobat try War Thunder on his YouTube channel, he seemed so helpless at first, that was so funny to watch. War Thunder is just on a higher level when you got brains. Don't limit yourself by WOT and you will achieve more than you could in WOT. I have learned my lesson and expanded my skill application.

So Messi is Hockey instead of Scoccer?

Rati_Festa #17 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

Major

• Player
  • 53102 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

when you got brains.

:)

Edited by Rati_Festa, 26 June 2020 - 12:13 PM.

mpf1959 #18 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 37828 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 12:07 PM, said:

Maybe I could get better still in WOT, but I now refuse to accept the limiting factors mentioned in my opening post. I find them utterly degrading.

With that sentence, all of my hope is extinguished! :playing:

BravelyRanAway #19 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25755 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postqpranger, on 26 June 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

You do realise that in WT the MM is adjusted to your recent game performances to make it either easier or more challenging for you depending on your ability.

In other words....it's not all you in WT, so it helps you if you have problems in the brain department.

Edited by BravelyRanAway, 26 June 2020 - 12:14 PM.

qpranger #20 Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

View PostRati_Festa, on 26 June 2020 - 02:13 PM, said:

:)

Look at my War Thunder efficiency and tell me I have no brains.

11:14 Added after 0 minute

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 26 June 2020 - 02:14 PM, said:

You do realise that in WT the MM is adjusted to your recent game performances to make it either easier or more challenging for you depending on your ability.

In other words....it's not all you in WT.

Of course it is not all me. And yet I achieve more there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users