How to learn to play?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

iraqxlol #1 Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4551 battles

Hello everyone.

Lately I've been in trouble of not being able to learn the game and have consistent good results.

my winrate has gone downhill, to the point where I just wonder will this end in steam roll or steam rolled? 

The problem might be from my team or me, I feel like a single mistake from me can lead to defeat, Almost like the whole game depended on that single shot.

Apparently this isn't problem for good players, If they managed to high such high winrate, It is not like they never get these situation (15-1 Type games), They just have a better decision making and more experience overall.

I've been trying to improve myself yet I feel like I'm actually degrading in terms of skill, On some days, I used to reach 3000 WN8 according to tank,gg, But now I'm barely reaching 2000 WN8 and rarely 1700ish recent WN8.

Got conqueror this week, It is supposed to be a good tank, Looking it's stats it is a good heavy tank, Yet I'm terrible at it, Usually because of maps that I don't know how to navigate and abuse their terrain, in short it is the worst tank I've used for some reason, and rarely get a 3k-5k damage in it.

On the other hand I got T110E3, I did exceptionally great in it, Had my first 8k damage, So where is the problem?

Well T110E3 felt like easy mode, High penetration and armor almost immune to gold, While in return had the ability to cheese my way into the heaviest of tanks using standard rounds.

In short, Didn't feel I'm good even though I was doing good, The problem wasn't in conqueror it was with me, I just can't figure out how to use it.

The problem itself doesn't relate to only conqueror it is for all tanks that requires slight usage of brain, I die in  the same manner that I did in my first game with the conqueror (as example) which means I learned nothing.

So ultimately, I get good scores only when I get lucky in situation that benefits me, When the enemies are dumber than me to be exact.

in short: I want to earn good scores, Not given.

So how exactly do I learn from my mistakes? When do I brawl and when to play safely?

Is the problem with my tank selection? Maybe heavies just don't fit me?

How to pick a good positions in "bad maps"?

What to do on steam roll? 

My team killed the enemy before I get a single shot, Was that just a bad luck or I could've done something?

And most importantly.

I got in a good position,Sadly  no enemy is coming into this  location, yet scared to push because the enemy might pop out (or hiding), Or the enemy went lemming train in the opposite side of the map. What to do in such situations? Take a risk and push hope there is no enemy hiding? or relocate and hope my team can hold them long enough? 

Sometimes I try doing one of these, And it always end in a horrible way, Either someone get my flank when i try to relocate,  Or my team has died before I reach my destination which results in Getting swarmed and killed before doing any noticeable amount of damage, Or My team killed them and none appeared resulting in 0 damage.

Calculating the remaining enemy tanks in the map also didn't work

azakow #2 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:05 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 87403 battles

The game is not about grinding.

The game is about the ability to understand the game mechanics.

Have a view here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/746975-read-before-posting-spotting-and-camouflage-guides-and-section-rules/

and here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/746641-read-before-posting-shooting-and-penetration-guides-and-section-rules/

oh I'd like add, make patience a habit when tanking.

:)

Edited by azakow, 26 June 2020 - 10:07 PM.

ZlatanArKung #3 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:07 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles
You can only learn from your mistakes if you can describe them and then also come up with a different solution to a similar situation.

Saying, 'I fucked up here, my mistake' is a good start. But then you have to figure out what would have been a better plan.

Wether to push or not from certain positions depends on.
1: where are enemies spotted and how many.
2: which map are you playing? (On some maps, you can push with little information, on others you need alot).
3: are you top tier, mid tier, bot tier.
4: Is turning back a better option?

azakow #4 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:10 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 87403 battles

View PostZlatanArKung, on 26 June 2020 - 10:07 PM, said:

You can only learn from your mistakes if you can describe them and then also come up with a different solution to a similar situation.

Saying, 'I fucked up here, my mistake' is a good start. But then you have to figure out what would have been a better plan.

Wether to push or not from certain positions depends on.
1: where are enemies spotted and how many.
2: which map are you playing? (On some maps, you can push with little information, on others you need alot).
3: are you top tier, mid tier, bot tier.
4: Is turning back a better option?

^^This.

(4) is always an option, many forget this.

Many people call the above battlefield awareness - a very important skill at your keyboard.

In practice it looks like this:

The minimap is your friend.

Friends require attention.

Shoot, minimap, shoot, minimap, nothing happens minimap, shoot, minimap, move, mimimap, shoot, ...

Edited by azakow, 26 June 2020 - 10:11 PM.

no_skill_bob #5 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34656 battles
  • [FARM-] FARM-
Winrate is an issue these days for so called good players as well, i have had sessions of 35-40% over 30 battles few times in past month, wot is a  multiplayer game where its nearly impossible to carry whole team, if enemies are not as bad as your whole team is. You should focus more on your personal performance, by setting a goal, for example do at least the same amount of dmg as your vehicle has, carry your oen weight, so to say. Thats at least how i started improving years ago.

Private_Miros #6 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 29730 battles
  • [EMU87] EMU87

Yeah, map awareness and retreating are skill that come through practice, and some will always be better than others.

I relearned the game by both aiming to keep my HP and having my gun (or vision, or armor) in the game at all times. If that doesn't succeed, I made a mistake, and I try to see what it was and how to avoid it.

Also, fail a lot. Try new things and die miserably. It helps to discover or get acquainted with lesser used parts of the maps. It will hurt performance in the short run but boost it in the long run.

azakow #7 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:30 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 87403 battles

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 26 June 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Yeah, map awareness and retreating are skill that come through practice, and some will always be better than others.

I relearned the game by both aiming to keep my HP and having my gun (or vision, or armor) in the game at all times. If that doesn't succeed, I made a mistake, and I try to see what it was and how to avoid it.

Also, fail a lot. Try new things and die miserably. It helps to discover or get acquainted with lesser used parts of the maps. It will hurt performance in the short run but boost it in the long run.

^^This.

Minitor your own HP pool. - Be conservative.

Review yourself by using your replays, see option to turn on.

Watch others in match, at youtube, at http://wotreplays.eu

Edited by azakow, 26 June 2020 - 10:31 PM.

Kdingo #8 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:35 PM

General

• Player
  • 33334 battles
A bottle of your favorite booze will usually improve your play a lot, even so your performance might take a dip once you near the bottom of the bottle.

Nebuched #9 Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:45 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14782 battles
Post some replays (or one) of a bad game and have us comment on it. Ofc, filter the one or two trolls that don't give constructive advice. 

TheJumpMaster #10 Posted 27 June 2020 - 07:50 AM

Major General

• 51126 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

OP,

I see that you only have 4220 battle under your belt. I would say that you've push up the tech tree a bit fast, unless this is a re-roll.

iraqxlol #11 Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:05 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4551 battles

View Postazakow, on 26 June 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

The game is not about grinding.

The game is about the ability to understand the game mechanics.

Have a view here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/746975-read-before-posting-spotting-and-camouflage-guides-and-section-rules/

and here:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/746641-read-before-posting-shooting-and-penetration-guides-and-section-rules/

oh I'd like add, make patience a habit when tanking.

:)

I do have patience, but sometimes it is not the right choice.

I will focus more on the map and hope I come with a solution to each situation according to the enemy movement on the map.

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 26 June 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

I will surely try find new positions seems like a good idea, Thanks.

View PostTheJumpMaster, on 27 June 2020 - 07:50 AM, said:

OP,

I see that you only have 4220 battle under your belt. I would say that you've push up the tech tree a bit fast, unless this is a re-roll.

No this is my only account, And yes I did progress through tech tree quite fast, Currently I have 3 tier 10s and 2 tier 9s that I didn't find upgrading them would be much of an improvements like conqueror and emil 2.

View PostNebuched, on 26 June 2020 - 10:45 PM, said:

Post some replays (or one) of a bad game and have us comment on it. Ofc, filter the one or two trolls that don't give constructive advice. 

Going to try that.

View PostKdingo, on 26 June 2020 - 10:35 PM, said:

A bottle of your favorite booze will usually improve your play a lot, even so your performance might take a dip once you near the bottom of the bottle.

I can't drink alcohol, But I do have tobacco pipe  and smoking with it is always a great delight

JOHN_691 #12 Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:04 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8906 battles
  • [JORM] JORM

I'm not a unicum but i have some tips:

-play a lot tier10 tanks and force yourself to have 2k+ damage every game and try to get 1 moe on every tank

-use your brain and your experience and do not "play in a mechanical way", going to the same positions every time, doing the same stuff and the same errors 

-enlarge your minimap and use your brain: 2 tds on the other side spotted and only 2 tds in the game=> i can play aggressive here (thinking of overlord)

-from time to time go watch wot streams on twitch BUT do not watch them passively: keep track of the positions on the map they use, and in what situations they use.

You can pause the stream and think what would i do in his situation and then play the stream and whatch what they are doing

-try to save hps at the beginning: this doesn't mean camping, it just means "do not expose yourself too much"

- try to platoon with better players than you and use teamspeak, they will teach you a lot

there are a lot of unicum players who have enough of cws and advance =>when they do not tryhard for marks they are mostl of the time available for platoons

NUKLEAR_SLUG #13 Posted 27 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37268 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
With only 4k battles you've got a 50+% WR which is not bad by any means. Keep doing what you're doing, try different things and be honest with yourself with how they work/don't work and you'll continue to do well.

Warzey #14 Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:17 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 61797 battles

@OP

If you're having issues with conqueror for example, try to upload your next 5-6 games in conqueror on http://wotreplays.eu/ and link them here. There are plenty people here including myself who would give you advice on how you could've maximized your impact in those battles. 

Other than that the best skill you can acquire is to "predict the flow of the battle". From the countdown you can predict how enemies will deploy based on their tanks and later you constantly update as more tanks get spotted. When you learn the usual sniping fire lines you can just poke your gun out and see if 6th sense goes off. Once you get good at it you'll be able to judge how strong an enemy is on your flank without receiving shell to the face. 

Edited by Warzey, 27 June 2020 - 01:17 PM.

Bigtime_Alarm #15 Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24750 battles

Honestly do anything you like. They will already have you stuffed before you start. If they don't have enough hax to slaughter you easily RNG will still just ensure all your shots are wasted and you die anyway. Position yourself anywhere someone is already in a pefect place to destroy you or very soon will be. You can of course try to do what they do but surprise surprise if you try it its instant suicide. Personally I am going to try vast amounts of alcohol. 

Edited by Bigtime_Alarm, 27 June 2020 - 01:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users