American tanks tier 1-5, Ranking

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Frenzier #1 Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:21 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 67847 battles
  • [GOP] GOP

Like in this post http://forum.worldof...-5-fun-ranking/ i played tier 1-5 American tanks to at least 100 battles, and now i will say what i thought about them. Generally speaking American tanks dominate these tiers.

T1 Cunningham (6/10)

Easily the best tier 1 thanks to its speed, the fact it has a 5 clip auto loader with a total damage of 150 makes it very good at short range when you can take cover between reloads, the second fastest  tier 1 its 4TP, but 4TP has speed limit of 35 while T1 has 41, so T1 arrives everywhere faster, the 37mm auto loader its hard to use due to horrendous gun handling, accuracy and aiming time, but it has enough pen to reliably pen 99% of the stuff it meets, unlike smaller caliber auto canons that lack the pen.

M2 Light (9/10)

The nightmare of its tier spread, hard to understand what WG is thinking, if WG cant even balance low tiers, how can they ever balance the game overall... M2 Light has everything, speed, armor and firepower, it makes playing other tanks, specially slow paper tanks a nightmare, especially now that there is only 3 maps, and most engagements are at very short range, if angled its very hard to penetrate, and most people who spam battles in these things are going full APCR, absolutely disgusting. What a nice way to welcome new players into this game, feeling hopeless against an M2 Light.

T2 Light (8/10)

Very much like M2 Light, but no armor whatsoever, so very manageable to deal with, the extreme speed makes it very enjoyable, and the 20mm auto cannon works really well for 99% of the targets you meet, with the exception of H38 or H35, but they are so rare, its not really an issue.

T1E6 (4/10)

When compared to a T2 Medium, kinda pointless, same gun but worse, similar mobility but no armor unlike in T2 Medium, same gun as in the T1 Cunningham, the gun is good but you need to literally face hug to hit your shots, the gun handling and aim time are really bad... and its paper. Great for 1 on 1 if you can circle the target. Will often feel hopeless against auto loaders due to how hard it is to land a shot at some distance.

T7 Combat Car (8/10)

400 damage in a single clip, thats the premise with this tank, if you can pen, its gonna hurt, it can kill in a single clip every other tier 2, but the few times i caught an MKA, that has 400 HP, from behind and unloaded the entire clip i never killed it, most was like 380 damage, it pens very little so pick your targets carefully, any angling and you will bounce, its slower than an M2 Light, and can barely pen an M2 Light. so the fun is cut severely by M2 Lights.... endless ratatatatatatatata

T2 Medium (9/10)

Really like this tank, feels really nice to drive around, and the 5 clip autoloader has a lot of DPM on top of the burst damage, has some armor but less than the M2 Light... and its much bigger, its a far better tank than it might seem at first.

T3 HMC (5/10)

Extremely fast, and has a 75mm derp, but good luck hitting a single shot... also its paper, ideal game play its using the 2 pounder and camping a bush, but there are better tier 2 TDs for that.. so you need to camp a bush and snipe with the derp, so you have the speed late game to push, surprise and "1" shot some tanks, its extremely fragile, so going front line at battle start its suicide.

T1 HMC (1/10)

Its a tier 2 arty, and its main advantage its speed.... useless with the current map selection. More useful as a bathtub than as an arty.

M3 Stuart (7/10)

When compared to a Pz III E, has more finesse, but if you have a close encounter with a Panzer III E, you gonna lose due to the huge difference in DPM and alpha, its very good directly engaging auto cannons like Pz Ic since it has enough armor to bounce most shots.

MTLS-1G14 (3/10)

Bad DPM that is made worse by the 2 shot clip, since it makes you miss the second shot very often, again more finesse than a Pz III E, but it is wasted by the fake double barrel, takes 5 seconds to do 80 damage, while a Pz III E takes little over 2 seconds to do 70... pointless to play over an M3 Stuart, very similar armor, but Stuart its smaller, also this thing is completely blind, really not fun to play except when you get to ram smaller tanks... but thats a rare opportunity to do it efficiently, it also has nice pen. It has over 1200 shells.... M22 Locust for comparison has 90 with same damage, and in 100 battles i never ran out... so whats the point of so many shells? 

M22 Locust (8/10)

Its just like an M3 Stuart, but not as good due to the lack of armor, despite that, i really enjoyed it. Very good premium tank.

M2 Medium (10/10)

Best tier 3 in my opinion, amazing view range, 370m, amazing gun, hull down works quite well since turret its a very small target and has some armor, -20 gun depression.

T56 GMC (6/10)

Its dpm its quite low when compared to an FCM 36 Pak 40 and so is view range, but its very mobile and has enough armor to resist auto cannons, personally i prefer it to the extremely slow and campy play style of the FCM 36 Pak 40.

M7 Priest (3/10)

It has a lot of armor between the frontal wheels, so might trick some people into thinking it has a lot of armor, mobility its not as good as it should be because terrain resistance is bad, overall a Bison its better because it can reliably deal damage thanks to shell arc and splash damage.

T18 HMC (1/10)

An arty that absolutely sucks at being an arty, completely pointless, WG must think armor its important in an arty, so they nerf the rest to the ground, pointless to play over an SU-26.

M5 Stuart (1/10)

WTF is this, so useless, has no pen, the autoloader unloads all shells with 1 click, you cant stop it.... you need 1 shot to kill some tank? Bad luck, you will unload 4 shots randomly, the auto loader its horrendous, pathetic when compared to the Chinese M5A1 Stuart, pens less with APCR than the Chinese Stuart pens with regular AP, pens less than the MTLS-1G14... if it had the same pen as MTLS-1G14, would still suck, pathetic DPM... i really suffered in this pos, whoever balanced this tank has no understanding whatsoever about the game, it used to be really enjoyable a few years ago back when it was basically an M8 Scott.

M3 Lee (7/10)

Meme tank, reality is that its in fact pretty good, all thanks to the DPM, gets underestimated all the time, no one respects it, and thats a good thing if you know what you doing with it, you will out DPM a ton of tier 5 tanks, its a shame it has such bad accuracy, otherwise would be a lot more enjoyable, you need to rely on HE in tier 6 games to at least perma detrack, since you cant either snipe weak spots reliably or even pen if you use APCR.

T6 Medium (8/10)

Seems op at first, but the gun handling and aiming time makes it balanced, its a lot of fun since it has a 105mm derp at tier 4, on a turret with lots of armor and gun depression.

T40 (9/10)

A beast, really really good, the 76mm M1 destroys anything it goes up against, has enough armor to bounce some guns at medium to long range. The best tier 4 TD at its playstyle now that Marder 38T got nerfed.

M8A1 (10/10)

I love this tank, very good camouflage that really works due to the tier its at, if you know well how view range and camouflage works, you can use its extreme mobility to properly position yourself in the sweet spots to carry a lot of games, the 57mm M1 its amazing, you can pen pretty much everything and reliably hit. 

M37 (5/10)

T82 HMC its simply better in everything that matters.

T82 (6/10)

Very fast and best dpm of all tier 4 arties that use a 105mm, but i prefer a Sturmpanzer II or SU-5 for tier 4 arty gameplay.

M7 (6/10)

Best penetration with APCR of all tier 5 scouts if you use you the 57mm, and thats the only reason to play it, unfortunately the accuracy, aim time and DPM are really bad for the damage it does, so its hardly enjoyable, no reason to play it over the Chafee.

M24 Chafee (9/10)

Extreme mobility and a gun with amazing gun handling and aiming time, very enjoyable scout gameplay.

M4A1 Sherman (8/10)

Good armor, view range, and a 105mm derp, very good when hulldown, the gun kinda sucks when compared to the similar gun on Pz IV H.

M4 Improved (5/10)

This tank is a lie, cant find the improved part about it, i would understand if a gun with very little penetration had good accuracy or aim time, but not even that, this has more top speed and thats it, somehow armor works worse than in the regular Sherman, doesnt have a gun shield...

Ram II (6/10)

Good dpm and lots of HP, you can win most 1 on 1 fights if you can pen every shot, but overall i dont like it much, the gun has bad gun handling, view range is bad and no gun depression, top speed also sucks.

M4A2E4 Sherman (5/10)

I remember playing this tank back when the game came out and being in battles filled with M6A2E1.... quite the experience. It has one main issue, frontal gun depression gets blocked by 2 hatches so you randomly lose gun depression, armor is kinda good, but the gun its absolutely horrible in every aspect.... if you dont have it, you didnt lose much.

T14 (5/10)

Turret armor its pretty good, hull armor despite being well angled does not work very well... its a very good tank against low tiers with bad guns, but overall its not very fun because once again the 75mm M3 its horrible in every aspect, unfortunately the hull traverse its really bad, making it way less mobile than it should be.

T1 Heavy (7/10)

A lot better than it seems to be, quite mobile, but the gun handling and bad accuracy ruin a lot of the fun.

M10 Wolverine (9/10)

Very good TD, and more versatile than other tier 5 TDs because turret, the turret has some armor that saves it from some shots, only lacks in comparison to T67 in mobility, but still retains enough mobility to be where it needs to be most of the time at least in defensive actions, the gun just feels amazing, its accurate, shoots fast and aims fast, i recommend it for most noobs who play T67 a lot, the inferior mobility will prevent you from dying as often, hopefully... in fact most noobs just camp with T67 and barely use its mobility, M10 Wolverine would clearly work better.

T67 (10/10)

The king of tier 5, far outperforms any other tier 5 and even some tier 6 tanks, likely even after the nerf, the combination of extreme mobility, amazing gun and good camouflage... it combines M8A1 with the firepower of T40, huge potential the better player you are, most noobs spam full apcr and still do pretty bad in it, i played it before 1.9 and managed around 1.5 average damage with 4m profit in 150 battles... 

M41 HMC (5/10)

Grille its just better in every aspect, most importantly shell arc, no real reason to play this since M44 its very similar but far superior in every aspect.

So thats all the American tanks i have so far played up to tier 5, im now working on the Russians, if interested you can watch me at www.twitch.tv/frenzierr

Red text usage.

Post edited.

~MaxandChloe4ever, Forum Moderator

Edited by Frenzier, 28 June 2020 - 03:38 AM.

rimmer_the #2 Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:38 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3661 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T
What was your consideration in giving Cunningham only a 6 ? Also, a really serious guide doesn't have ranting and insults in it like the t67 review. 

Edited by rimmer_the, 28 June 2020 - 02:40 AM.

Frenzier #3 Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:35 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 67847 battles
  • [GOP] GOP

View Postrimmer_the, on 28 June 2020 - 02:38 AM, said:

What was your consideration in giving Cunningham only a 6 ? Also, a really serious guide doesn't have ranting and insults in it like the t67 review. 

Its not a guide, its my personal perception of each tank. a guide would include in detail the game play specific for each tank.

Cunningham only a 6 because its a tier 1 tank, the game play will never be very enjoyable in those battles, if you end in tier 2 battles you will almost every time have to deal with some M2 Light... and people camp spawn bushes and play for draw very often in Abbey and Mines mostly Leichttraktor players, makes the game play frustrating, since you will sometimes be hopeless watching your teammates slowly pushing forward and get farmed by players with superior view range and camouflage, and there is not much you can do.

As for insult and rant regarding T67? I am confused now... i think if you get someone to realize spamming gold ammo is not the answer, that player might try to focus his attention on the rest of his game play, and hopefully improve... its not fun to get APCR spammed in a hopeless tier 4 tank by an overpowered tier 5, who will often ruin his own battle to ruin yours along with it, and then i get to the garage and see the guy has 20k battles in T67 and its MoE its at 84%... too many players like that, i have 1000 battles in AMX 40, i know what is it like to be literally hopeless and still stepped on hard by people who dont even need to try any good to ruin your battle. Go spam full APCR to tier 8+ where its actually competitive, if you gonna do it with a tier 5 at least do it to maximize the performance, not to perform average...

Edited by Frenzier, 28 June 2020 - 03:42 AM.

Bulldog_Drummond #4 Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:36 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostFrenzier, on 28 June 2020 - 01:21 AM, said:

Like in this post http://forum.worldof...-5-fun-ranking/ i played tier 1-5 American tanks to at least 100 battles, and now i will say what i thought about them. Generally speaking American tanks dominate these tiers.

Very interesting, thanks for that.

I think I would rate the T1 Heavy a little higher.  It seems to me to be the most effective of the Tier 5 heavies. 

no_skill_bob #5 Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:37 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 34618 battles
  • [FARM-] FARM-

View Postrimmer_the, on 28 June 2020 - 03:38 AM, said:

t1 cunningham was 10/10, when it had hispanowhataver autoloader, nowadays its probably not that good anymore, havent played lowtiers in years, so its hard for me to judge, but that should be the main reason.

about the low tier balance, OP you should lnow it well yourself, that low tiers was never balanced, there always was at least one brokenly OP tank at each tier.

tier 1 - old T1

tier 2 - T18, mini-maus

tier 3 - old marder 2, fcm pak 40(still OP), nowadays, downtieried valentine(like wtf wg)

tier 4 - matilda(still OP), B2

tier 5 - pz V/IV, kv 220-2, old at-2, old t67(t49)

tier 6 - the most ridiculous tier at the time roughly when i started playing - kv-1s, hellcat were the only tanks worth playing at tier 6 at the time, pretty much, fv 304 was broken a hell as well. 

Edited by no_skill_bob, 28 June 2020 - 06:46 AM.

Bulldog_Drummond #6 Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:09 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

This prompted me to take out some US tier 4 & 5 TDs today, as I hadn't played them in ages, and they are indeed very effective, even with no skill crews, and good fun to play.

(Not the T-67 though, there are some depths to which even I will not stoop these days, although I have done a few hundred in it in my time.)

The only frustration came in trying to use my Super Hellcat as a trainer, and failing dismally and persistently to get wins in it.

Frenzier #7 Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 67847 battles
  • [GOP] GOP

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 June 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

This prompted me to take out some US tier 4 & 5 TDs today, as I hadn't played them in ages, and they are indeed very effective, even with no skill crews, and good fun to play.

(Not the T-67 though, there are some depths to which even I will not stoop these days, although I have done a few hundred in it in my time.)

The only frustration came in trying to use my Super Hellcat as a trainer, and failing dismally and persistently to get wins in it.

To be honest i prefer M10 Wolverine over the T67. Been playing M10 RBFM recently, its slower than the Wolverine, but better gun characteristics, its a very good tier 5 premium, but i i miss the extra mobility of the Wolverine. As for the crew, i only use 1 crew for the tanks i play, once you reach 4+ skills, you accumulate so much exp when close to jumping skill % that if you retrain it to another tank in most situations it goes straight to 100% of very close, and a couple battles with reserves on, and you get it to 100%, obviously this is only worth it, if you play 1 tank at a time for at least some 50 battles to build up experience in it again for another retrain.

Edited by Frenzier, 29 June 2020 - 02:11 PM.

ZlatanArKung #8 Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles
T14 is,an easy 9/10 or 10/10. Insanely strong tank on current maps.
15:34 Added after 1 minute

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 28 June 2020 - 07:09 PM, said:

I don't get why they named it Super Hellcat. Should have been named 'Nerfed Hellcat'.

Since it is a nerfed Hellcat our 1 tier higher.

Bulldog_Drummond #9 Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:43 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostFrenzier, on 29 June 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

To be honest i prefer M10 Wolverine over the T67. Been playing M10 RBFM recently, its slower than the Wolverine, but better gun characteristics, its a very good tier 5 premium, but i i miss the extra mobility of the Wolverine. As for the crew, i only use 1 crew for the tanks i play, once you reach 4+ skills, you accumulate so much exp when close to jumping skill % that if you retrain it to another tank in most situations it goes straight to 100% of very close, and a couple battles with reserves on, and you get it to 100%, obviously this is only worth it, if you play 1 tank at a time for at least some 50 battles to build up experience in it again for another retrain.

The Wolverine 76 mm gun is noticeably better than the one on the T67, which helps, and you do occasionally get to bounce an enemy shot.

69% wins with Wolverine and 64% with M8A1 over the weekend, so I can't complain

Intriguingly the M8A1 did more dpg (650 vs 508) despite having lower dpm.  Probably due to facing more clueless opponents and ones with more restricted vision

My only US high skill TD crew is sitting in my T95

ZlatanArKung #10 Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 29 June 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

The Wolverine 76 mm gun is noticeably better than the one on the T67, which helps, and you do occasionally get to bounce an enemy shot.

69% wins with Wolverine and 64% with M8A1 over the weekend, so I can't complain

Intriguingly the M8A1 did more dpg (650 vs 508) despite having lower dpm.  Probably due to facing more clueless opponents and ones with more restricted vision

My only US high skill TD crew is sitting in my T95

M8A1 is super fast aswell, the Wolverine isn't. So the M8A1 have an advantage in getting a few extra shots in when game is closing up and you chase the last remaining enemies for some extra damage. Could be a reason for its higher dpg. 

Edited by ZlatanArKung, 29 June 2020 - 04:46 PM.

Alpharius #11 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 11191 battles
Nice thread. Looking forward to the Russians.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostZlatanArKung, on 29 June 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

T14 is,an easy 9/10 or 10/10. Insanely strong tank on current maps.
15:34 Added after 1 minute

I don't get why they named it Super Hellcat. Should have been named 'Nerfed Hellcat'.

Since it is a nerfed Hellcat our 1 tier higher.

I'm not a fan of the Super Hellcat either but after yesterday's dismal experience in it I gave it a full load of premium ammo and actually had a good game in it just now. EDIT: Actually, I am now coming round to my SH.  After yesterday's disasters I just had 6 good wins in a row in it, all with good damage and spots.  It can use its speed and a full load of APCR seems transformational.

It's at least very fast and the gun is not ridiculously bad if you just fire APCR.  

Very solid results also this evening in both Wolverine and M8A1.  The latter managed 1342 damage, 312 spots, 4 kills and came top out of both teams on Highway in a Tier 6 game, which was nice.  Sadly we lost as they rolled over our Heavies in the town. 

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 29 June 2020 - 07:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users