max framerate cap setting option instable engine config

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MarveII #1 Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16447 battles
  • [TRIGG] TRIGG

For quite a while now I have been capping my maximum framerate in the engine_config.xml file in order to reduce input lag that happens because of GPU overloading or too high GPU usage. While it is great that there is at least an option to limit FPS in the engine, it doesn't scale well and it's implementation could be improved.

At higher maximum framerates the FPS fluctates a lot. You also can't set an exact maximum number. There are increments, larger steps that you need to figure out. For example if I set MaxFramerate = 200, it will cap my fps to 167, but not stable. It will fluctate to above 170 and under 165 which is not ideal. If I set MaxFramerate = 210, it will cap my fps to 200, sometimes a little lower but often it will spike my fps to above 230 which is a scenario I would like to avoid.

Why does this cap only work in large steps? It is not ideal for people with high refresh screens, it is impossible to cap fps to 240 or anything around that. I would really like to see a proper FPS cap implementation. It would greatly reduce input lag and benefit the whole playerbase. Why was this option not implemented before with the engine upgrades of the last years? It is a very important setting in my opinion and a lot's of games have it.

jack_timber #2 Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:14 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45378 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I cap my FPS to 60 in Nvidia settings, GPU runs cooler.

MarveII #3 Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16447 battles
  • [TRIGG] TRIGG
External FPS limiters introduce extra input lag, that is why I would like to have an in-game option to limit FPS.

Also tagged with max, framerate, cap, setting, option, instable, engine, config

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users