• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Harpya #1 Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20489 battles
  • [DYNA] DYNA

Game freezes my computer.

It started when playing World of Tanks. The game froze in the middle of a battle. No response from the computer at all. Keyboard and mouse locked firmly. The scene where it froze was still displayed and visible on the screen but nothing more happened. The reset and off buttons also completely locked. The only way to reset the computer was to turn off the main switch or pull the power cord. In most cases after game freezing the computer started again but occasionally I had to wait for about 10 minutes before I could reboot again. This could indicate a heat problem, but I have run heat monitoring programs without any failure or excessive heat recorded. The CPU, graphic card and motherboard has been monitored by overheat programme. The audio card has not been monitored since I do not know if there even is a sensor measuring the audio part and subsequently this has not been done. Have however inactivated the sound card without any improvement to the performance.

This happens only and only when playing WOT, never in any other application. Have run seriously heavy graphic stress test programmes in trying to overload the computer the but WOT is the only game succeeding in freezing my computer.

Several tickets have been submitted to the support team and the initial reply was that they needed various reports to investigate and trouble shoot the problem. After sending all requested reports, and following all submitted instructions regarding actions to be taken without any result and some renewed tickets and whining about my problems and their complete inability to find any solution I finally managed to get through their first line of support which seems to only cut and paste some standard replies into their response and hoping the problem will go away.

The ticket that was passed on upwards in the support hierarchy was filed in March, a couple of weeks later I got a reply apologizing for the delay and telling me they needed additional time to solve the problem. In June and after two reminders I finally got a reply with exactly nothing in the reply that was helpful. Instead I got a “cut and paste nonsense reply” asking for more of the same I have been doing and more of the same kind of reports I have been supplying all the time. I would have been maybe not happy but still satisfied if they just would have told me “sorry we don’t have a [edited]clue where the problem lies, and we are unable to do anything at all to help or assist you”. But no, just more of the crapfrom the helpdesk who seems to be choosing from different standard replies, like “have you pressed the on button of the computer?, have you put the power cord into the socket?”.

The reports I filed were:

WG Check report, the only abnormality I myself, after reading the report, managed to find was a  “not able to open port” Pointed out this to the support team in my response but I never got any response about this comment I found in the WG Check report. Supposed therefore that this was irrelevant.

Pingplotter, steady synchronous fibreoptic connection @ 200Mbit

DX Diag, reports no problems.

The measures taken are:

Uninstalling the game completely including deleting all connected with Wargaming in regedit. After installing the game it run well for about 2 weeks and then the problem reoccurred.

Temporarily disabling anti virus.

Disabling sound card.

Checking the firewall settings, Wargaming has complete access without restrictions.

Integrity check.

Checked if there were any updates for all drivers. They were already updated so nothing found in any of the drivers.

Cleared the cache and the settings.

Downgraded the graphics to SD and leaving the HD mode.

I am not using any mods at all, just the installed game without modifications.

The suspected heat problem that might be the culprit in shutting down the computer finally made me take it to a PC repair shop and ask them to make extensive tests. They checked and measured the performance of the motherboard, HDD, audio, video and checked for any abnormal heat issues. They found nothing at all.

Since the freezing is instant nothing can be found In any of the Windows logfiles, suppose that it cuts the computer before it is even able to write anything into a logfile.

My hardware as follows:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six core

HDD: Samsung SSD 860 QVO

Graphics card: Radeon RX580 and Realtech® Audio

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H -mATX/B450

Soundcard: AMD HAD and Realtech ® Audio

Operating system: Windows 10, 64 bytes

So please, all ideas or comments will be much appreciated. If nobody knows what to do I simply have no other option than to uninstall and stop playing.

Edited by Harpya, 01 July 2020 - 09:35 AM.

jack_timber #2 Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45400 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I had similar problems, well WoT would crash rather than freeze, with similar spec pc.

I started to use 32bit client and never had any problems since.

Presume you have tried starting with reset graphics and safe mode.....

GL with 'problem'.

qpranger #3 Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:51 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

WOT completely froze my PC a few times, just as the OP describes.

No other software has managed to do this yet.

I think the cause of the problem is that there is

an insufficient number of premium tanks in WOT.

Wargaming, please add more premium tanks!

Edited by qpranger, 01 July 2020 - 09:52 AM.

Kdingo #4 Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

General

• Player
  • 33292 battles
Tried borderless window mode?

Isharial #5 Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 26621 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostHarpya, on 01 July 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

Game freezes my computer.

It started when playing World of Tanks. The game froze in the middle of a battle. No response from the computer at all. Keyboard and mouse locked firmly. The scene where it froze was still displayed and visible on the screen but nothing more happened. The reset and off buttons also completely locked. The only way to reset the computer was to turn off the main switch or pull the power cord. In most cases after game freezing the computer started again but occasionally I had to wait for about 10 minutes before I could reboot again. This could indicate a heat problem, but I have run heat monitoring programs without any failure or excessive heat recorded. The CPU, graphic card and motherboard has been monitored by overheat programme. The audio card has not been monitored since I do not know if there even is a sensor measuring the audio part and subsequently this has not been done. Have however inactivated the sound card without any improvement to the performance.

This happens only and only when playing WOT, never in any other application. Have run seriously heavy graphic stress test programmes in trying to overload the computer the but WOT is the only game succeeding in freezing my computer.

So, if im correct in this:

1 - you can load tanks up and click battle

2 - you get into the battle and then drive about as normal

3 - at random times the entire computer locks up and nothing responds

4 - you manage to restart only by switching the machine off at the plug?

this wouldn't indicate a heat problem IMHO, given the PC is locked up, not switched off. if a machine gets overheated, it'll switch completely off and wont come back on again until the temp dropped. the fact the buttons also lock up would also support that. 

Sound and Audio could lock a game up but chances are it would happen on other games as well. Since its only tanks, i doubt its those either.

it sounds like a power or mobo/RAM issue to me.

if this machine was brought to me, the first thing id do is test the machine on tanks with a different power supply. You didnt note in the specs what this is, but with such a machine im assuming a 750w? is it properly rated and giving out what it supposed to be? 

you also didnt note if you've done a memory check? since the whole thing's locking up, it could be a RAM issue. you say you've taken it to a repair shop, but thats something id certainly re-check. - if they are 4gb (or larger) sticks, take each out and use just the one and re-try, testing each seperately. it may not even be the stick itself and is actually the RAM slot on the mobo thats faulty. 

id wager however its a power supply issue more than anything else. a stress tester may not cause the graphics card to draw as much power as tanks may, and that could be why its never gone during those, or perhaps its simply intermittant.

i had a similar issue many years ago and it turned out to be the power supply, even though the machine ran fine and would sometimes last for days without issues, its infuriating so i understand what your going through

RSA_TriHard_7 #6 Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 53656 battles
  • [FARMS] FARMS
Just an idea i have read that AMD Cpu's tend to get hot the fact that World of Tanks uses multiple Cpu cores now might add to the heating problem.Try to put some new cooling paste on your Cpu and i dont know if you have a stock Cpu cooler then maybe try getting a better one.You may also try opening your case for more cooling.I know you did stress tests and found no abnormal temps but its worth a try.Pc freezing is normally a over heating problem if it was Powersupply Pc would have shut down or restart as soon as it gets under load.Good luck :)

Venatacia #7 Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:27 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39578 battles

Had it happen to me the other day, computer shut down totally. Normally the game closes down in the middle of battle and just minimises to the windows task bar, I then click on the WG windows box and the game opens back up and I carry on unless it happens while in the open or fighting then I'm screwed.

Also here people say the same in game, sorry the game shut down on me. I also say the same when I get back in. Seeing lots of afk tanks around at the start and some during battle. I just think "Yep that was me last game and I know how it feels".

Edited by Venatacia, 02 July 2020 - 12:31 PM.

Jinx79 #8 Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 17094 battles
  • [F-DIV] F-DIV

Could be a couple of things.  I'd say over heating from what you have described so running with the case open may help.  I did see a similar issue recently (different game but same symptoms).  Turned out to be the PSU wasn't powerful enough and when running some games it would hard lock as it couldn't pull enough power for the GPU.  Upgrading the PSU to a more powerful one fixed the issue.  What PSU do you have?  Also do you only have 1 hard drive in the PC?  I'd be tempted to install WOT onto a different drive to make sure it isn't something funky going on with your SSD drive.

Cheers

Jinx

Bulldog_Drummond #9 Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36234 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

I'd also put my money on over-heating, especially as we are now in the summer.  I have a fairly new and very powerful PC with plenty of fans but it does get pretty hot running WoT.

My previous, ancient PC became very hot indeed and would also freeze periodically until it had cooled down

Venatacia #10 Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39578 battles

View PostJinx79, on 02 July 2020 - 11:38 AM, said:

Could be a couple of things.  I'd say over heating from what you have described so running with the case open may help.  I did see a similar issue recently (different game but same symptoms).  Turned out to be the PSU wasn't powerful enough and when running some games it would hard lock as it couldn't pull enough power for the GPU.  Upgrading the PSU to a more powerful one fixed the issue.  What PSU do you have?  Also do you only have 1 hard drive in the PC?  I'd be tempted to install WOT onto a different drive to make sure it isn't something funky going on with your SSD drive.

Cheers

Jinx

For myself I've had my computer for 8 years, still way over the top spec for playing WoT. My computer has never overheated, plenty of cooling. I changed the thermal paste and dust it once a month. Power supply has never gone - it's a Corsair TX650 v-2 80 bronze, more than enough for my Intel I-7 and GTX-970 graphics card. Only have a mechanical hard drive.

Homer_J #11 Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:26 PM

Field Marshal

• 33938 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Replace the power supply.  Or get hold of a known good PSU and swap it out to test.

12:31 Added after 4 minute

View PostRSA_TriHard_7, on 02 July 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

if it was Powersupply Pc would have shut down or restart as soon as it gets under load.Good luck :)

I've had systems with a faulty PSU exhibit similar symptoms to the OP, freezing, crashing in only some apps, and a reluctance to power back on.

Harpya #12 Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:17 AM

Private

• Player
  • 20489 battles
  • [DYNA] DYNA
Thank you all for the replies and tips. Have so far ordered a new 1000W PSU if the unit does not give enough with power. I removed one of the two memory sticks trying to find out if one of them migh be faulty. Seems to work, at least during a few games played, now with one RAM removed. Might be a problem either in the memory module itself or in the MOB slot The removal of the RAM itself reduces the need for power with a few watts and that could also be enough to keep the system running with a weak PSU. Will put some new cooling paste on the CPU if the problem continues to appear. Will let you know about the progress. I might be installing another HD drive an install WOT on the that one, Thank you again all for your support.

Pansenmann #13 Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 38393 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostHarpya, on 04 July 2020 - 10:17 AM, said:

Thank you all for the replies and tips. Have so far ordered a new 1000W PSU if the unit does not give enough with power. I removed one of the two memory sticks trying to find out if one of them migh be faulty. Seems to work, at least during a few games played, now with one RAM removed. Might be a problem either in the memory module itself or in the MOB slot The removal of the RAM itself reduces the need for power with a few watts and that could also be enough to keep the system running with a weak PSU. Will put some new cooling paste on the CPU if the problem continues to appear. Will let you know about the progress. I might be installing another HD drive an install WOT on the that one, Thank you again all for your support.

a 1000Watts PSU?

that's a bit much for a Ryzen 2600 +RX580 and just an SSD

(that card does get quite hot, I had the RX480 before and managed to crash it due to thermal issues several times)

I am currently running my R2-2600 with an RX5700, 4 HDD's

with a 600watts bequiet PSU with no issues.

PS: is the RAM you use on the compatibility list of the mainboard? (check manufacturer website if not sure)

Edited by Pansenmann, 04 July 2020 - 10:55 AM.

Isharial #14 Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

Major

• Player
  • 26621 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPansenmann, on 04 July 2020 - 10:52 AM, said:

a 1000Watts PSU?

that's a bit much for a Ryzen 2600 +RX580 and just an SSD

(that card does get quite hot, I had the RX480 before and managed to crash it due to thermal issues several times)

I am currently running my R2-2600 with an RX5700, 4 HDD's

with a 600watts bequiet PSU with no issues.

PS: is the RAM you use on the compatibility list of the mainboard? (check manufacturer website if not sure)

the more the merrier :P

in all fairness, it gives it room to age and room for expansion later.

The PC could run with a 750W (probably less if its a 1 drive machine), but i had an AKASA 750w that ran my machine for 5+ years (same machine i'm typing this on), and then had a seriously annoying restarting issue that didnt have a common recurrence, it just happened whenever, could be desktop, could be mid boss kill on Skyrim. - it took a while to diagnose what it truly was that caused it, as originally the link was whenever the hoover was turned on :facepalm:

in the end it turned out it was that Akasa. it just wasnt giving out what it originally could - that same PSU went on for another 4 years in an Intel machine with a 3500k, GTX 680 + 3 HDD's, and it still survives now as a backup PSU for that intel machine, showing that it wasnt actually "broken" - just old.

my current rig has a 1000w Silverstone, as 750w just isnt enough.. for an X4 955 + GTX 1080                                   :amazed: yeah i dont get it either.......

Edited by Isharial, 04 July 2020 - 08:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users