Panhard EBR OP Nerf OP Gun

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

RaveStorm #1 Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5297 battles
  • [DAKUS] DAKUS

Everyone's talking about (well, now we're actually at the anger/acceptance phase) EBRs and how OP they are. There literally isn't a person that would disagree, though, I wanted to point something else out that hasn't yet been determined to be NERFed later on.

The gun.

Excluding the speed and the difficulty to stop an EBR, let's talk about the gun and how it compares to other lights.

Disregarding the inadequate gun handling and the impossible snapshots AND the accuracy, my prime point of attention is the HE ammo.

Generally, any tank with an armament of 90-130mm gets ~40/50mm of HE pen, which is great against US/UK arty, Sheridan and FV4005's turret. Other than that, you can't realistically expect the shell to penetrate the enemy tank, even EBRs as they have 40mm of angled frontal armor and the tires are quite good at absorbing the majority of the damage.

Looking at the comparison below, you can clearly see that even a tier 8 Panhard has a better HE pen than any tier 10 light tank (excluding the German Rhm. Pzw., which, arguably is only redeemed by its HE shells).

shot_185.jpg

The problem with this is that there isn't any other light tank that can reliably take out an EBR in 1V1 combat, meanwhile the EBR gets reliable HE pen, killing your crew and tracks at the same time while dealing 500 damage hits. Your Sheridan only dealt 354 with an AP and the next HE shell dealt only 120 damage. This is also critical for when you go up against the enemy arty with a light. An EBR can expect to PEN all or most of its HE shells and one-shot the tier X arty. A T-100 LT, WZ-132-1 or a Sheridan can't reliably PEN the back of a T92 because of armor-angling. Come on.

In summary, even with the unforgivable speed and gun-handling, the one unforgivable quality is its HE shell PEN rate. Come on, my e3 only gets 90mm of HE PEN with a 155mm gun.

Yes, I know the speed of those God-awful things will be NERFed, though, the HE shells are too OP to be forgotten about.

TL;DR:

Da durr, EBR HE ammo too stronk, gun too gut for any other light to do 1V1. Also 2 stronk because no other light can one-short full HP enemy arty.

Edited by RaveStorm, 09 July 2020 - 02:55 PM.

saxsan4 #2 Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26646 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

no

FV1066 Senlac a tier 8 light tank has an 83mm caliber gun and gets 90mm pen on its HE shells, all gun stats are made up and the HE pen on guns doesnt make sense

instead of nerfing it they should buff the HE pen on other lights

HE pen isn't linked to caliber of guns, its just a totally made up figure 

Edited by saxsan4, 09 July 2020 - 03:02 PM.

GodTank2 #3 Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:13 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 11549 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

This is the T-100LT vs EBR AP rounds. You are saying lights cant even 1v1 the ebr? The EBR cant even reliably pen the front of a T100LT with its AP rounds.

RaveStorm #4 Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:16 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5297 battles
  • [DAKUS] DAKUS

View Postsaxsan4, on 09 July 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

no

FV1066 Senlac a tier 8 light tank has an 83mm caliber gun and gets 90mm pen on its HE shells, all gun stats are made up and the HE pen on guns doesnt make sense

instead of nerfing it they should buff the HE pen on other lights

HE pen isn't linked to caliber of guns, its just a totally made up figure 

Right and Senlac isn't known to be OP.

Yes, there are many ways to improve the system and a way generally has to be agreed upon, whether that be buffing everyone else's HE or NERFing the EBR's.

My personal opinion would be that buffing everyone's HE would again "break" the game or, rather, make it so different game-play wise that many players would struggle to pick up on that. I'd suggest simply NERFing the EBR as other tanks with great HE generally don't break anything and simply have a small advantage to make up for their downsides.

saxsan4 #5 Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26646 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

View PostRaveStorm, on 09 July 2020 - 02:16 PM, said:

Right and Senlac isn't known to be OP.

Yes, there are many ways to improve the system and a way generally has to be agreed upon, whether that be buffing everyone else's HE or NERFing the EBR's.

My personal opinion would be that buffing everyone's HE would again "break" the game or, rather, make it so different game-play wise that many players would struggle to pick up on that. I'd suggest simply NERFing the EBR as other tanks with great HE generally don't break anything and simply have a small advantage to make up for their downsides.

how would buffing the other light tanks to 90mm HE pen break the game?

The FV217 Badger with its 123mm gun has 130 HE pen, many other tanks have random HE pen figures that still dont get used

Tracked lights are also very poorly gunned as it is , so a buff to HE pen would be very welcome to make them more competitive 

tajj7 #6 Posted 09 July 2020 - 04:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30308 battles

Yeh the 2nd worst DPM on tier 10, worst penetration, average alpha, average accuracy, is SO OP :facepalm:

Loads of tanks have high pen HE, loads, even lights 

You also only need 20mm of HE pen to pen any EBR in the turret or sides, so lights can pen an EBR with their standard HE as well, and it has less HP than them and less DPM, the Sheridan even has more DPM with its 105 standard rounds than the EBR does with HE.

Such a nonsense argument. 

Warzey #7 Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:28 PM

Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 61813 battles

The only awesome thing about EBR gun is the handling, literally every other stat ranges from meh to terrible. That's if we talk about T10 light tank guns, if we compare them with heavy and medium tank guns then EBR is downright laughable. 

I don't know how can anyone in their right mind call this gun OP. 

WindSplitter1 #8 Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21843 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY

View PostRaveStorm, on 09 July 2020 - 01:52 PM, said:

TL;DR:

Da durr, EBR HE ammo too stronk, gun too gut for any other light to do 1V1. Also 2 stronk because no other light can one-short full HP enemy arty.

You seem to have forgotten to mention that, in case of the Tier X, it takes ~12s to load that gun, as opposed to the ~6-8 seconds on Classic Light Tanks in the same Tier, for example.

Understandably, it doesn't suit your narrative that the EBR is [your definition/adjective goes here], but since you were referring to the gun I'd expect you to perform a complete, unbiased analysis.

Balc0ra #9 Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 77964 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Coming from a tracked light player... that has done the EBR grind. Aim time etc is what makes the guns on them workable. If they had 2+ seconds and 0.45. I suspect their effectiveness would drop. But the HE pen with the speed is what makes them strong in some situations. So you can put up an argument that the HE pen = caliber makes them lose the disadvantage they were to have vs some lights. As in the lower DPM they were meant to have... But the keyword here was some. As tbh I don't see them dominating that much constantly vs my tracked lights for it to be a major issue. As my T49 with the 90mm is the only one that can out dpm an HE EBR. And the Russian and Chinese lights have armor at some angles to rub that HE shell right off to keep that DPM higher vs it. 

Desyatnik_Pansy #10 Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

Bartender

• 19840 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I don't see why this discussion can't just be had in, y'know, the pinned discussion thread. In fact, I'm almost certain this has probably been mentioned a bunch in there in the past, but admittedly I don't really keep track.

Thread junked, refer to the pinned discussion thread if you want to have a chat about the wheelies:

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/732037-the-big-wv-wheeled-vehicles-discussion-thread/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users