Anyone here had a long period of burnout: what did you do?

burnout

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

kaneAAA #1 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:09 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44120 battles
  • [SKRAP] SKRAP
So longterm players must have got to a stage at some point where the fun goes. I'm at that stage, as are all my friends. Open the game, and just feel bland, currently enjoying other things. Did anyone have this and then the fun returned? If so, what did you do? How long was your break period? What makes you want to play more?

Balc0ra #2 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 78197 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

After long events etc. I always take a few days off to play something else. After the last long chain of events. I went back to 100% L.A Noire or even AC Origins for a week that was a long enough break for me to go back again. But when I'm in the game I mix it up always. As grinding the same tanks every day will get boring. So I even had breaks from that and just played what I wanted, as in fun tanks for a few days or even weeks. It's why it took me close to 70K games to grind everything. Or buy back old tanks, or tanks I've skipped. I found back the A-43 here a few weeks ago. Played nothing but that for a few days. Most fun I've had in WOT recently. As if you can't find the fun in something new when everything else you have in the garage doesn't work anymore. It's time for a break again too. And then it's at least 5 days to a week. As there is always something in my Steam library under "unplayed" to test out for me to worry about WOT that week. 

LethalWalou #3 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:26 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36290 battles

Yes, I had it. I started to drift off, started doing other things I normally do but more. Then when the darkness of the wintery Finland came back, I slowly came back to the game and enjoyed it again. :P

Honestly can't say what brought me back from for example my longest, 11 month break, back to the game. I had completely forgot the game at that point. But when I came back eventually the game was still fun, and maybe bit fresh cause I had forgotten most things. I had watched some streams prior to coming back, maybe that lighted the spark again originally. I have since taken loads of shorter and slightly longer breaks too but so far I've come back to the game time and time again. It's an easy game to play as the time investment is just one battle at a time. I guess what also keeps me playing is the goals I set for myself. I currently 3 mark tanks. Previously it was to grind tanks and once I had unlocked everything, I unsurprisingly took a break.

Don't know if you learned anything from this. Maybe you just need to let go and see if you eventually come back. If you feel like leaving, just leave and let go. I do not recommend to even start thinking what you've invested in this game because it's going to prevent you from letting go and you will continue to play even though you might not enjoy the game.

Uh_Oh_ #4 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 4938 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Put some Durex play Tingle on your hands and you may start to enjoy it again.

shikaka9 #5 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

Major

• Player
  • 80294 battles
go see nature for few days, best mind restart there can be

tank276 #6 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:39 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 56321 battles
  • [KEKE] KEKE

You just need a break from the game, could be a few days or a few months, you will figure it out yourself.

I had a long break in '16 when I started playing Warships, after some moths I returned to WOT, less enthusiastically than my first "term".

JocMeister #7 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:42 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29635 battles

View PostkaneAAA, on 11 July 2020 - 05:09 PM, said:

So longterm players must have got to a stage at some point where the fun goes. I'm at that stage, as are all my friends. Open the game, and just feel bland, currently enjoying other things. Did anyone have this and then the fun returned? If so, what did you do? How long was your break period? What makes you want to play more?

Play something else for a few months. I have taken several long breaks from WoT during the years.

Some absolute gems to play in the meantime:

Subnautica.

Factorio

Kerbal Space Program

Rimworld

Space Engineers

Dark Souls series.

Satisfactory.

Oxygen Not included.

I promise you that you won´t regret trying any of these Absolutely fantastic games.

Of those I would probably rate Subnautica and Factorio as the 2 best games I have ever played. 

Edited by JocMeister, 11 July 2020 - 05:51 PM.

Hedgehog1963 #8 Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:56 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 59231 battles
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY

Yes I did.

I never logged back on for nearly three hours.

ABC_Przyrody #9 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 21998 battles
  • [1PADX] 1PADX
~4 years and after coming back and playing for 3 months I already lost the will to play. Gameplay became so bad there's no fun anymore for me.

Edited by ABC_Przyrody, 11 July 2020 - 06:14 PM.

LethalWalou #10 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36290 battles

View PostJocMeister, on 11 July 2020 - 04:42 PM, said:

Play something else for a few months. I have taken several long breaks from WoT during the years.

Subnautica.

Factorio

Kerbal Space Program

Rimworld

Space Engineers

Dark Souls series.

Satisfactory.

Oxygen Not included.

I promise you that you won´t regret trying any of these Absolutely fantastic games.

Of those I would probably rate Subnautica and Factorio as the 2 best games I have ever played. 

Couple of absolutely brilliant games in there.

If one plays games quite a lot, variety is a key to keep sanity. So OP should definitely try some of those while taking a break from WoT. Unfortunately summer sale ended already but I don't think those games are expensive anyways.

Desyatnik_Pansy #11 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

Bartender

• 19933 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostJocMeister, on 11 July 2020 - 05:42 PM, said:

Dark Souls series.

Soulsborne, please. :P

JocMeister #12 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29635 battles

View PostDesyatnik_Pansy, on 11 July 2020 - 06:35 PM, said:

Soulsborne, please. :P

Sorry. :teethhappy:

Missed Demon´s Souls as I have never owned a console. Dark Souls was my first one

qpranger #13 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY

A few years ago I took a six-month break from WOT.

I did not play other games back then, so I eventually crawled back.

My second break is now and it has been 7 months already.

And I am not coming back for as long as I am happy with War Thunder.

You just need to walk away from things that frustrate you

if your individual effort is not enough make things better.

In War Thunder I achieve more, so I am happier now.

Edited by qpranger, 11 July 2020 - 06:57 PM.

Desyatnik_Pansy #14 Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:55 PM

Bartender

• 19933 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostJocMeister, on 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

Sorry. :teethhappy:

Missed Demon´s Souls as I have never owned a console. Dark Souls was my first one

Souls series alone refers to Demon's and Dark Souls, the borne part naturally is referencing Bloodborne. I never played Demon's Souls either and looking back on videos of it, it's definitely not an itch I'm willing to scratch. I am interested in the remastered or whatever version of it that is apparently in the works, if anything it's nice to see the game being revisited and hopefully updated for the more modern Soulsborne style.

mystikro #15 Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 36715 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostJocMeister, on 11 July 2020 - 06:42 PM, said:

Kerbal Space Program

Put Astroneer and Euro Truck Simulator 2 in the list for the chill but interesting gameplay. I have not played WOT for some time because I got tired of getting gold spammed. Besides, WOT is the only online game I play, I promised myself to stay away from online games. Don't care about online games because I don't like to play with actual players. They often go HERP DERP. 

Subnautica is scary. Nope. Fish go Glug Glug but I don't want to touch that game.

Edited by mystikro, 11 July 2020 - 08:25 PM.

JocMeister #16 Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

Major

• Player
  • 29635 battles

View Postmystikro, on 11 July 2020 - 08:24 PM, said:

Put Astroneer and Euro Truck Simulator 2 in the list for the chill but interesting gameplay. I have not played WOT for some time because I got tired of getting gold spammed. Besides, WOT is the only online game I play, I promised myself to stay away from online games. Don't care about online games because I don't like to play with actual players. They often go HERP DERP. 

Subnautica is scary. Nope. Fish go Glug Glug but I don't want to touch that game.

I liked Astroneer but it got repetitive pretty fast and I lost interest pretty quickly. 

ZlatanArKung #17 Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

Just stopped.

One day you might come back, or you don't. It doesn't really matter.

It can be a few months, years or just some weeks. 

Edited by ZlatanArKung, 11 July 2020 - 09:36 PM.

jabster #18 Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostkaneAAA, on 11 July 2020 - 04:09 PM, said:

Have you tried making loads of posts about how the game is rigged?

Kdingo #19 Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

longest hiatus 2 years. you don't miss out on anything if the game becomes bland, just play different games or enjoy other parts of life. never feel like you have to play for the sake of it, slaving away on a chore like this isn't healthy.

When the urge to drive pixel tanks is satisfied i just do something else, there is nothing that can artificially increase my interest to play.

StronkiTonki #20 Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36501 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

Just take a break, be it a week, a month or a few months. Just play other games or spend time doing other things you enjoy.

Done it myself as well, getting back to the game after a break will give new motivation to play again.

Edited by StronkiTonki, 12 July 2020 - 07:20 AM.

Also tagged with burnout

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users