Inactive tanks in game - why is this allowed?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

wobblybob #1 Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:34 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 75625 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC

So after 3 games in a row with this crap i feel the need to vent. First game 2 AFK, both tier X, then AFK gun Conc and finally AFK M48. All three games lost obviously. 

So here is the question, distance travelled is recorded. It would be 'really difficult' to periodically slice the database, identify these and remove these players. So why not? They put there to spice things up a little? Did they leave cause the don't like xvm prediction? 

I have no idea why you would AFK tier X vehicles, it will lose money, won't achieve any missions and tank xp is not needed. Accepted that real life distractions can interrupt gaming and the odd drop out is acceptable but when it is common place, it simply wrecks any enjoyment and fuels the already lacklustre game balance. 

Cant help thinking quality of life improvements would do a damn sight more to improve this game than most of the recent 'improvements'.

The_Naa #2 Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:45 AM

Major

• Player
  • 12969 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

real life things, and can be that they were waiting for MM to get them in usually see this in tier 1-3 games where it takes ages sometimes and they come back saying they were in the WC.

or like it happens to be with some of the dingers there happens to be a baby that needs their attention. their internet connection fails or their PC keeps crashing over and over again. my reason is that there is a cat that needs things.

everything is understandable imo. i dont mind it that much. Real life first game second. :)

ofc its differet when someone says ''1% to win next looser team'' and quits the game.

and yes i did the looser on purpose.

saxsan4 #3 Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:50 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 27036 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--

many reasons, game crash (Happens to me about one every 250 games)

Internet cut out, happened to me mid game the other day on steps due to thunderstorm outside

Or emergency, the other day I had the runs and had to use the toilet at the start, when I came back I was already dead so it is a valid reason ... unless you want me to make a brown pancake 

ArsenalTank #4 Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:54 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14659 battles

View Postwobblybob, on 12 July 2020 - 02:34 AM, said:

I have no idea why you would AFK tier X vehicles, it will lose money, won't achieve any missions and tank xp is not needed.

it's sad but it's happened in every multiplayer online game, sometimes some of those 30 people got DC ,, crap Pc,, or something else keep them away/afk for a while or for the whole game. nothing can WG do about that.

wobblybob #5 Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:02 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 75625 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC
As i said, the odd DC is understandable. As is RL interuption. These players however were not that , they simply were inactive for entire game. They had no intention of playing. Real easy solution, 3 games in a row with 0 travel, account banned for 1 week.

wobblybob #6 Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 75625 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC

and another 2 AFK, one on each side. One was obviously just a bot account tbf.

wtf is going on?

Homer_J #7 Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:26 AM

Field Marshal

• 33999 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postwobblybob, on 12 July 2020 - 03:02 AM, said:

As i said, the odd DC is understandable. As is RL interuption. These players however were not that , they simply were inactive for entire game. They had no intention of playing. Real easy solution, 3 games in a row with 0 travel, account banned for 1 week.

The game already starts giving 0 exp and 0 credits if you AFK for 3 battles in a row which makes it pointless because you run at a loss.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:34 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 78197 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So after 3 games in a row with this crap i feel the need to vent. First game 2 AFK, both tier X, then AFK gun Conc and finally AFK M48. All three games lost obviously. 

So here is the question, distance travelled is recorded. It would be 'really difficult' to periodically slice the database, identify these and remove these players. So why not? They put there to spice things up a little? Did they leave cause the don't like xvm prediction? 

They do... for repeat offenders. For one-hit wonders? Nothing happens, as if they banned you for one idle. None of us would be here. As I'm sure you have gotten a phone call, the door rang, or other more vital real-life events occurred. But on a Saturday night, you also get the odd drunk one that gets unpredictable and might leave or even fall asleep mid-game. 

But due to the idle bot farm issues back in the early days. They made an idle/leaving early system that does monitor it that killed them off overnight. You might have noticed some of the AKF tanks blowing up at the end of the battle if they survive. To give them max repair and reduce their profit. If they keep at it, they get a warning. Ignore that, and you start to get zero XP and credits with a new warning. Ignore that for 2 games and you get a temp ban. But I'm not sure if it's on a timer or a ratio system like TD was. As in if you don't do it for a bit, it resets or lowers. Or resets after a set time. 

And as always with these topics. If you don't believe it. Leave early a few games in a row and let me know how it ends. 

Randomar #9 Posted 12 July 2020 - 09:37 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32240 battles

I have no idea why you would AFK tier X vehicles, it will lose money, won't achieve any missions and tank xp is not needed. Accepted that real life distractions can interrupt gaming and the odd drop out is acceptable but when it is common place, it simply wrecks any enjoyment and fuels the already lacklustre game balance. 

Cant help thinking quality of life improvements would do a damn sight more to improve this game than most of the recent 'improvements'.

(Bold highlighting by me)

Consider this Situation:
You want to get gunmarks (MoE) on a tank or you want to finish a mission to get a reward tank.
Normally you do this in a platoon and / or with clanmates.

When your tean is bigger, you try to get into the same matches.
Sometimes it is succesful to countdown and click together on "Battle".
Teamspeak is required.

So you may end in the same match, in one team or as opponents.
Your platoon will protect you and support you where they can.
Your clanmates on the red side will drive in front of you, nobody else, raising the damage pool…

I suspect, in the given case it is a payed game booster service (Overtank and such) that have failed to get matched together with their client. So they prepared for the next battle. Remember: Thoose game booster services makes profit out of unsatisfied players with bad winrate (aka you and me) as next customers.

The other scenario I could think of, is that the players of the effected tanks have tried to use "experimental mods" and have been cought by a anticheat. So they went AFK.

When you ask me, AFK should be punished automatically with a pause of one hour.

wobblybob #10 Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 75625 battles
  • [TNAC] TNAC

View PostBalc0ra, on 12 July 2020 - 02:34 AM, said:

They do... for repeat offenders. For one-hit wonders? Nothing happens, as if they banned you for one idle. None of us would be here. As I'm sure you have gotten a phone call, the door rang, or other more vital real-life events occurred. But on a Saturday night, you also get the odd drunk one that gets unpredictable and might leave or even fall asleep mid-game. 

But due to the idle bot farm issues back in the early days. They made an idle/leaving early system that does monitor it that killed them off overnight. You might have noticed some of the AKF tanks blowing up at the end of the battle if they survive. To give them max repair and reduce their profit. If they keep at it, they get a warning. Ignore that, and you start to get zero XP and credits with a new warning. Ignore that for 2 games and you get a temp ban. But I'm not sure if it's on a timer or a ratio system like TD was. As in if you don't do it for a bit, it resets or lowers. Or resets after a set time. 

And as always with these topics. If you don't believe it. Leave early a few games in a row and let me know how it ends. 

Ah, right. I thought inactive tanks blew up as a matter of course. I didn't realise it was on a sliding scale. 

On the other point. I have been in clans where 'countdown mission help' was rife. These accounts were easy to spot as they had a T22 attached :trollface:.

The guys last night were no helping MoE or such. They would have to move to let friends hit them. The odd thing was how many in such a short space of games. 

Kdingo #11 Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:36 AM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostThe_Naa, on 12 July 2020 - 02:45 AM, said:

real life things, 

This "justification" has and will always be horsesh*t.

What kind of inept time management does one have to have to be unable to predict having the next 15 mins available or not.

Emergencies, like child choking to death on a lego piece, ain't happen that often.

So its usually expected interruptions for non relevant reasons and all at the expense of 14 others that have the audacity to expect that someone who clicks battle actually plays.

Being unable to settle your real life stuff before a session is just a weak argument and other people should not be effected by that.

Edited by Kdingo, 12 July 2020 - 10:38 PM.

Bulldog_Drummond #12 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36552 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostKdingo, on 12 July 2020 - 10:36 AM, said:

This "justification" has and will always be horsesh*t.

What kind of inept time management does one have to have to be unable to predict having the next 15 mins available or not.

Emergencies, like child choking to death on a lego piece, ain't happen that often.

So its usually expected interruptions for non relevant reasons and all at the expense of 14 others that have the audacity that someone who clicks battle actually plays.

Being unable to settle your real life stuff before a session is just a weak argument and other people should not be effected by that.

I'm not sure I would totally agree with that

I get a lot of unscheduled work calls, including from the US and Asia-Pacific, out of office hours and these are more important to me than playing a game of tanks so I will take the call.  If it's a personal call I will let it go to voicemail.

Or it could be a delivery arriving at the front door within its 2 hour time slot

While I would never AFK deliberately, ultimately I don't feel any great sense of responsibility to a bunch of randoms on the internet, especially in a game that only lasts 10 minutes

That said if someone is AFK throughout I will report him

More annoying than AFK is the player who camps behind the base and contributes nothing other than to farm damage when the game is already lost.

rimmer_the #13 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 3682 battles
  • [H-F-T] H-F-T

View PostHomer_J, on 12 July 2020 - 03:26 AM, said:

The game already starts giving 0 exp and 0 credits if you AFK for 3 battles in a row which makes it pointless because you run at a loss.

Bot accounts wont register that and keep playing, same for players who have enough crew training and credits.

11:11 Added after 3 minute

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 12 July 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I get a lot of unscheduled work calls, including from the US and Asia-Pacific, out of office hours and these are more important to me than playing a game of tanks so I will take the call.  If it's a personal call I will let it go to voicemail.

Or it could be a delivery arriving at the front door within its 2 hour time slot

While I would never AFK deliberately, ultimately I don't feel any great sense of responsibility to a bunch of randoms on the internet, especially in a game that only lasts 10 minutes

More annoying than AFK is the player who camps behind the base and contributes nothing other than to farm damage when the game is already lost.

Then I would suggest a turn based or 1 vs 1 game so you wont compromise players who will get statshamed continously on the forum/ingame on if their wr is too "low".  When I expect such a interruption I switch from WOT to such a game. 

Edited by rimmer_the, 12 July 2020 - 12:11 PM.

Kdingo #14 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 12 July 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

How often a day do you get unexpected deliveries to the front door? It is rare enough to not act as an argument as its in exception.

Phone calls even less so. Do you jump out the shower or from the toilette just cause of a phone call? no, you call back when you are done.

Have my phone next to my pc while playing and except for some rare exceptions i am just calling back after a battle, and those calls i take don't really interfer with my ability to play.

In case i am on call duty i simply don't play as an emergency could arise anytime and it would be beyond selfish to expect others to deal with it just cause of my "needs" to play regardless of being available or not.

Bulldog_Drummond #15 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:20 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36552 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View Postrimmer_the, on 12 July 2020 - 11:07 AM, said:

Then I would suggest a turn based or 1 vs 1 game so you wont compromise players who will get statshamed continously on the forum/ingame on if their wr is too "low".  When I expect such a interruption I switch from WOT to such a game. 

That would be a solution, yes, which is why I said "unscheduled" calls and "two hour time slot deliveries".

I have work teams reporting to me from a dozen countries in various time zones, so there is no real start or end to my job unless I am asleep.

The only solution would be never to play WoT

11:22 Added after 2 minute

View PostKdingo, on 12 July 2020 - 11:15 AM, said:

How often a day do you get unexpected deliveries to the front door? It is rare enough to not act as an argument as its in exception.

Phone calls even less so. Do you jump out the shower or from the toilette just cause of a phone call? no, you call back when you are done.

Have my phone next to my pc while playing and except for some rare exceptions i am just calling back after a battle, and those calls i take don't really interfer with my ability to play.

In case i am on call duty i simply don't play as an emergency could arise anytime and it would be beyond selfish to expect others to deal with it just cause of my "needs" to play regardless of being available or not.

I'm a sad person but yes, I do jump out of the shower and I have my phone by me if I am on the bog.

Unfortunately the nature of my business means that much of it needs immediate attention

Edited by Bulldog_Drummond, 12 July 2020 - 12:26 PM.

Kdingo #16 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostBulldog_Drummond, on 12 July 2020 - 12:20 PM, said:

I'm a sad person but yes, I do jump out of the shower and I have my phone by me if I am on the bog.

Unfortunately the nature of my business means that much of it needs immediate attention

I doubt you are a sad person, way to many sophisticated and humorous comments.

I just don't believe for a second that your nature of business is the NORM but rather an exception. I expect the majority to belong to a group of 9-5 workers or are students so any chance for "immediate attention" interruptions fly out the window.

Bulldog_Drummond #17 Posted 12 July 2020 - 12:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 36552 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

View PostKdingo, on 12 July 2020 - 11:36 AM, said:

I doubt you are a sad person, way to many sophisticated and humorous comments.

I just don't believe for a second that your nature of business is the NORM but rather an exception. I expect the majority to belong to a group of 9-5 workers or are students so any chance for "immediate attention" interruptions fly out the window.

I'm sure you are correct about 9 to 5 or student life for most.  And I'm not claiming that I get out of hours calls every 10 minutes or even every day.  However, when I do, work comes first.  My firm is paying me to do my job, and WoT isn't paying me anything, nor are random people on the internet.

Dramya #18 Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 18285 battles
  • [_PZF_] _PZF_

View PostKdingo, on 12 July 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

I’m with the voluntary fire department, would you like me come to your aid when your house is burning or would you like me to finish my game first?

Kdingo #19 Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:43 PM

General

• Player
  • 33570 battles

View PostDramya, on 12 July 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

I’m with the voluntary fire department, would you like me come to your aid when your house is burning or would you like me to finish my game first?

I am on call duty often myself, i just seem less selfish and simply not play a game that effects 14 other people when i can´t ensure i have the time available.

You are not going to claim you are on call duty 24/7 aren´t you? And even if this is the case, why do you automatically consider it is ok that your life choices negatively effect other people?

Yes its "just" a game but that is besides the point as participating in a multiplayer game where people have to rely on someone else brings along the responsibility to ensure one has the time at hand to play.

The worst a**hole i ran into over the years was one playing at his job and had to alt tab out every time his boss/co worker came in so he doesn´t get caught... granted this level of "i have to play and don´t care about other peoples experience" idiocy is the tip of the iceberg.

If you can´t ensure you have 15 minutes available don´t click battle, period. There are plenty of single player games available for you to kill time, and not negatively effect other peoples experience, with. Clicking battle when you can´t ensure to have 15 minutes available on a frequent base is just the typical selfish "i want and don´t care about others" stuff.

mpf1959 #20 Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:26 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 38766 battles
  • [DRATT] DRATT

Inactive tanks in game - why is this allowed?

Freedom that's why!

We aint under totalitarian rule just yet, though many of the comments I read daily on here make me believe the time might be right for some politico to wheel it out of the closet again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users