Privilege in World of Tanks and how to combat it

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

Naive #1 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1269 battles

I feel like there's not enough talk about how inherently privileged some players are in WoT and how their lack of awareness and sometimes outright hostility is perpetrating this system of repression against the non-privileged, bullying anyone on the forums that thinks differently from them, acting like their view is objective fact and trying to influence Wargaming to change the game to suit their needs. I am, of course, talking about the fable "unicums". With the campaign being over today and ranked beginning tomorrow it obvious that "unicums" will again stomp all over everyone with gold spam, crews with 40 skills, full food and bond loadouts, yet nobody wants to address the elephant in the room. They have a massive advantage and its sickening.

Let's just see the privilege these people have:
(a) Completely broken reward tanks that can only be obtained by a select few through
Yeah yeah, "you can get it as well", sure by paying some guy money i don't have to get it for me. Even if i get into a clan with the potential of getting it, the fact i don't have the reward tanks to get other reward tanks makes me have a massive disadvantage. It was nice of WG to put some of the reward tanks into the bond shop (even though the price of 18000 bonds is insane, compared to how easy "unicums" get the tank), they of course didn't put the 2 most OP vehicles in the bond shop. Because they just want the special few to have it.

(b) clan credit booster and CW gold
Basically 24 hours of +75 to credits makes it rather easy to spam even more gold and get even better stats. What's even the point of armor these days when you have full gold "unicums" in every game in their OP reward tanks? None, you're just there as a damage piñata so the select few can feel their e-peen getting bigger. They obviously don't care if its fair or not.

Tons of CW gold!!! free credits, free de-mounting, buying prem tanks etc., while i have to use my hard earned money for it. Yeah, really fair.

© clan xp boosts, free xp boosts, crew boosts and ease of getting bonds
So not that the OP reward tanks are enough, you also of course need to put a 9 skill crew in it too, made easy by using all those privileged clan bonuses. Amazing. With good clan results they also get a ton of bonds to put insane bond equipment on their already insane OP reward tanks with their insane crews. Yeah really fair.

(d) constant whining to change the game to what they like

Basically ever since WG made arty irrelevant, thanks to unicum whining, the game is geared towards them more and more. Constant nerfs to tech tree tanks if they show even a hint of being good... on the other hand we cannot nerf the reward tanks because what would the poor unicums then use to pad their already fake stats? Progetto getting nerfed? Seriously? When the Chieftain is in the game? Constant whining about the 430U and 268v4 (which already was nerfed, but its still too good because poor unicums can't pen every shot with their gold spamming Chieftains)

(e) a complete lack of empathy for anyone who isn't part of their elite little bubble

I just know what will happen now, people will write "git gud" etc. which is ironic considering the times we live now. Unicum privilege can be thought of as unstable skill equilibrium and that when this equilibrium is challenged, the resulting stress can become intolerable and trigger a range of defensive responses, which is what im expecting now. The fact is also that there are real life implications as well. Its only the unicums that get the stream money. Its the unicums that get the attention at Tank Fest. I was trying to set up a stream about a year ago and all i got was people writing how bad i was in chat. When i went to Tank Fest nobody cared, they all just were there for QuickyBaby and Dakillzor, because they are "unicum" without even realizing the amount of privilege these people have to begin with.

I used to really enjoy the game, i could play arty or the old Type5 Heavy, which were tanks that could at least, to some extent, counter this privilege. What happened to them? WG of course removed them or changed them to such a degree that they now only serve as a damage piñata. The 60TP with HE has some potential but nowhere near enough.

WG needs to stop pandering the game to the select few. Give us good tech tree tanks, make arty great again and make the playing field level. Access to reward tanks for all! Until then various skill metrics are useless since they are completely skewed by the inherent privilege of unicums.

Pitulusu #2 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10670 battles
when i saw QuickyBaby loading 20 gold shells in a standard account tank i insta closed the video! also bourasque, ebr, prog prem tabnks has full clips of gold ammo. so! no p2w at all! you can combat them doing the same! money to wg.

Edited by Pitulusu, 12 July 2020 - 05:18 PM.

WindSplitter1 #3 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21925 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY

OP, although I agree with some of your points, you are exuding the same sense of self entitlement as the ones you're criticizing.

Steeleye_Spam #4 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 39232 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I find the framing of your argument quite silly. Trying to equate this non 1st world problem to real world issues is a bit hysterical.  The only 'privilege' is that some players can give themselves an advantage by paying money for op premium tanks or premium accounts that allow you to spam gold if you  want  to, but it's not a huge issue, as the percentage of these tanks in randoms is quite small.  Arties were not nerfed into oblivion.  Type 5 and 268/4 needed to be nerfed . Yes, the chieftain is stupidly good, but there aren't that many in randoms again. They probably do dominate ranked, so don't play. 

DaniulSims #5 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

A, B and C are all things that are gained through either a single player or a clan getting good enough to be able to afford them.

D is something that everyone has, regardless of their "entitlement", as you call it. See the plethora of threads asking to nerf wheelies or, a few years ago, to nerf lights made by subpar TD players.

E isn't privilege. E is somebody telling you to learn how to deal with something while all you're doing is whinging about it on a public forum, likely, and personally, only told to someone after futile attempts of giving advice to then be confronted with the same "but the game is rigged against me!" arguments.

EDIT: real privilege would've been the ability to afford the Defender, Pz II J, E25 and, arguably, the Progetto and EBR the previous times they were put on sale for the overly inflated prices. Not any of your points.

Edited by DaniulSims, 12 July 2020 - 04:48 PM.

24doom24 #6 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:47 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9603 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 12 July 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

I find the framing of your argument quite silly. Trying to equate this non 1st world problem to real world issues is a bit hysterical.  The only 'privilege' is that some players can give themselves an advantage by paying money for op premium tanks or premium accounts that allow you to spam gold if you  want  to, but it's not a huge issue, as the percentage of these tanks in randoms is quite small.  Arties were not nerfed into oblivion.  Type 5 and 268/4 needed to be nerfed . Yes, the chieftain is stupidly good, but there aren't that many in randoms again. They probably do dominate ranked, so don't play. 

The 279e and Chieftain are actually banned from ranked from now on.

GodTank2 #7 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11620 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT

So you basically want every advantage in the game without even putting the effort in?

Your username fits you well

Naive #8 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:50 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 1269 battles

View PostWindSplitter1, on 12 July 2020 - 03:41 PM, said:

OP, although I agree with some of your points, you are exuding the same sense of self entitlement as the ones you're criticizing.

So by criticizing i'm being self entitled. Sure buddy. Thanks for that 1 liner that added literally nothing to the conversation.

View PostSteeleye_Spam, on 12 July 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

Your point? You say it silly and then basically confirm its all an issue and privilege and but it isn't a big deal. Well it is. Just wait until the end of campaign when you will have another round of unicum or bought Cheftains and 907s running around. I guess i can counter them in my.....oh wait there's nothing even comparable to them in the tech tree. Not a big deal....sure friend. sure

Edited by Naive, 12 July 2020 - 04:52 PM.

BravelyRanAway #9 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25928 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostNaive, on 12 July 2020 - 03:28 PM, said:

I was trying to set up a stream about a year ago and all i got was people writing how bad i was in chat. When i went to Tank Fest nobody cared, they all just were there for QuickyBaby and Dakillzor, because they are "unicum" without even realizing the amount of privilege these people have to begin with.

I guess players like to watch someone from which they can learn, the likes of QB and Dakillzor earned their position by getting to know and understand the game, why shouldn't that be rewarded? 

Why would I want to watch an average player when I can watch myself...unless that player is extremely funny with a good personality, i really wouldn't waste time. 

BTW, that's not privilege, that's normality.

Japualtah #10 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:55 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35530 battles

When I'm racing Verstappen, Norris and other top F1 drivers in a simracing race, I know I don't stand a chance, but at least we drive the same cars :)

It's good reward tanks were banned from Ranked and the system seems more casual friendly, so things are maybe not as dire as you think.

Pitulusu #11 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10670 battles
 i would like to see youtubers using 1 perk crew like any new player, standard ammo and standard tanks... they will than have my respect, but all i saw on tube were crew with 5 6 perks, rations and lots of gold ammo!

Edited by Pitulusu, 12 July 2020 - 04:57 PM.

BravelyRanAway #12 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:57 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25928 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostPitulusu, on 12 July 2020 - 03:56 PM, said:

i would like to see youtubers using 1 perk crew like any new player, standard ammo and standard tanks... 

That's how every one starts at the game....even unicums.

jabster #13 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 12 July 2020 - 03:51 PM, said:

I guess players like to watch someone from which they can learn, the likes of QB and Dakillzor earned their position by getting to know and understand the game, why shouldn't that be rewarded? 

Why would I want to watch an average player when I can watch myself...unless that player is extremely funny with a good personality, i really wouldn't waste time. 

BTW, that's not privilege, that's normality.

Can’t remember the name of the main of this alt. but let’s just say their actually views maybe (and by that I mean are) rather different to what that posted. A cynic might even say they’re hoping to get a negative reaction.

WindSplitter1 #14 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:58 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 21925 battles
  • [WINDY] WINDY

View PostNaive, on 12 July 2020 - 03:50 PM, said:

So by criticizing i'm being self entitled. Sure buddy. Thanks for that 1 liner that added literally nothing to the conversation.

Critizing you, would be that through your own liner you have only further condemned yourself by again sounding self-entitled.

I was about to edit my statement so as to add more substance but I decided against it, for the usual fate these comments usually have. I am quite happy for not doing so as unfortunately my suspicion was correct and, hence, not worthy of future consideration on my behalf.

>For the sake of the thread I will only add that what you or others perceive as "privilege" is earned. It seldomly can be given.

Edited by WindSplitter1, 12 July 2020 - 05:01 PM.

Balc0ra #15 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 78120 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

So basically you are upset that some players have invested more time than you, and have more and better tanks and crew then you? As even if you remove the reward tanks from CW, crew skills or even bond equipment. I suspect they would still bully Steve the KV-1 driver even in a 75% crew tank tbh. 

But no... game is not balanced on what the unicorns say alone. It's a pulling war from both unicorns and tomatoes. And often it favors the majority, as in the casuals and the tomatoes. It's why the T26E4 was nerfed back in the day. Not because it was overperforming. But because Steve could not pen it with auto-aim. It's why the Chieftain is not allowed in Ranked next season. Or even the average FV215B. Because Steve was upset about not having one. It's why the armor and gold balance has been on an endless loop. Because Steve needs gold to pen armor, then gold makes armor useless when WG fix it... Just as a few examples. 

DaniulSims #16 Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K

View PostPitulusu, on 12 July 2020 - 05:56 PM, said:

i would like to see youtubers using 1 perk crew like any new player, standard ammo and standard tanks... they will than have my respect, but all i saw on tube were crew with 5 6 perks, rations and lots of gold ammo!

like QB did, like Circon often does, like Foch always has and like countless other high level players from the forums without as much relevance on YouTube or Twitch have?

Only big CC in WoT that I can think of that always, no matter what, has a great setup is Skill4ltu, and you watch him so that he gives you tactical insights and such, not to watch him struggle.

Pitulusu #17 Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10670 battles

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 12 July 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

That's how every one starts at the game....even unicums.

you know ahat difference is between a tanks with 5 perks and one with 0? between a tank which spam gold and one using standard ammo? man, every time i play my obj 277 with gold i finish on poll, if i do otherwise i will be a liability to the team, but i don't have money to spam gold for 50k or more per battle

BravelyRanAway #18 Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25928 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postjabster, on 12 July 2020 - 03:58 PM, said:

Can’t remember the name of the main of this alt. but let’s just say their actually views maybe (and by that I mean are) rather different to what that posted. A cynic might even say they’re hoping to get a negative reaction.

Oh....they're from 'that' clan.:trollface:

qpranger #19 Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 38889 battles
  • [HAMMY] HAMMY
OP #sourgrapes

Pitulusu #20 Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 10670 battles

View Postqpranger, on 12 July 2020 - 05:02 PM, said: