The_Naa's Guide on How to Play the Panther.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

The_Naa #1 Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:37 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Welcome to my Panther Guide.

in here i will tell you all of the in's and out's there is to know on the Panther.

the Tier 7 Panther is a tank that need you to think on what you are doing, what you are going to do, what your team is doing/going to do and what the Enemy is going to do. situational awareness is one of the big words when playing the Panther, so is Patience.

you need to have the knowledge and skill to make the most out of your games, and this is where patience comes to play. most often you need to wait and see how the battle is going to develop, where enemy tanks are going, where your team is going and what is happening and that suits the Panthers playstyle as a sniper as you will be at the back of the map sniping and eating away enemy tanks HP while preserving yours untill the end of the game, waiting and observing the battle and the minimap, such as where all the tanks are and what you are up against. its a always a death sentence to make a push early game before all the enemy tanks have been spotted and you know where they are.

take notes when a friendly tank dies on the minimap, who killed him? where was he when he died? this can give you a general idea where the enemy tank is, even if he havent been spotted during the game. so you dont end up pushing into the unknown only to realise there has been tanks hiding on that flank waiting patiently for you until your patience ends, a mistake you never want to do.

instead you need to have a lot of patience to sit still, looking over the area that is your soon to be firing range and to stay unseen as long as you can. a spotted Panther is a dead Panther, for that 6th sense is a must, as when you get spotted you need to find cover and not stay spotted for any length of time if you know there is more than 1 gun that can point at you. you may stay and fire upon the target if you see the person who spotted you can kill him without being killed. if the odds are dipped in their favour you just need to accept that you cant win that engagement and break off. even if that means leaving an ally behind. some would say that you are being selfish but that will happen to you as well from time to time, where your team mates that you were expecting to back you up have faded away. the best you can do is to tell your team mate that ''hey look were are not going to win here, lets fall back to a better position'' if they a reasonable they will follow you, if they have over commited and cant get out thats their fault, you did not drive their tank there they did it themselves. no need to give the enemy 2 tanks for free if you can save the other.

these situations will be rare, as you are most often alone at the back of the map sniping out of the line of sight of prying eyes of the enemy team, where you can be as annoying as you can for the enemy. so achive this you need good bushes sense on how to remain unseen. for that i will give few videos fron WG that you can watch if you dont fully understand how camo and bushes work. the Panther is Deadly when it cannot be seen but has full view of the enemy.

there is always to constant annoyance of your team as they keep pinging the map and harassing you to move. because ''yOu ArE a MeDiUm sO YoU cAnT sNiPE!''

so just ignore them block them if you must, but what ever you do dont let your patience to run out if you know the enemy is still there, instead use that same information to your advantage and expect the enemy teams campers to break cover just because they got tired of their team telling them to stop camping. and that can give you some really easy kills if you are in the right spot waiting for them. so keep calm and keep sniping. ;)

Spoiler

Stock Grind

out side of that you need to consider all the options on how to best equip yourself for the fight.

but first lets start with the stock grind.

Panther feels and behaves like the VK.30.2M so you should feel right at home when you start the grind, but soon you will notice that the Stock gun does not do the Panther any favours as you start seeing tier 8's and 9's more often and you need to upgrade that.

Step 1: Upgrade to the Top gun, gladly you can mount it on the Stock turret and Tracks (given that you dont have any heavy equipment on the Panther)

Spoiler

after that you need to get the tracks to mount the rest of you kit.

Step 2: is going to be the tracks so you can mount the rest of the upgraded parts.

Spoiler

Now you can get the Turret that offers you better view range, protection, gun handling. rate of fire and is smaller in size so hared to hit.

Step 3: mount the turret.

Spoiler

Engine is next, boosting you mobility is vital when you need to keep your distance so 50 extra horse power is a fine addition to the Panther.

Step 4: Engine

Spoiler

Last but not least is the Radio. you can mount it with the Top gun right from the start if you have it, but if you dont save it for the last. it does give you slightly better view range and keeps you in touch with your allies.

Step 5: Radio

Spoiler

Equipment

now that you have your Panther fully upgraded lets talk about Equipments.

you need those to boost your performance in the way you like. i will be listing all the equipment, what it does, how it helps.

going from best to worse:

1.  Rammer is the go to equipment as it gives you a faster reload time and the Panther heavily relies on its gun so everything you can do the help your gun to perform better is in top priority.

2.  Vents give you 5% to all skills, this includes, crew skills, rate of fire, view range and camo. so its a solid choice.

3.  Coated Optics give you active 10% to view range, boosting you Panthers view range without limiting it to stand still for use. Coated are good for more flexible loadout when you are on the move

4.  Binos are really good in that they instead of giving 10% give you 25% boost to view range that allows you to spot enemies that are in hiding themselves from time to time, but it limits you to stand still for you to be able to use them, good when sitting still waiting for a target to appear but means that spotting them again if they are just at the edge of your view range means that you need to wait for them to active giving your pray time to hide.

5.  Camo net is useful to keep you hidden its a solid choice if you want to stay hidden for longer as it forces the enemy to come closer to you in order to spot you.

6.  GLD is great to boost you aiming time, panther does have a fast aiming time but if you want it to be even faster this is the option to it, sometimes you just need to be fully aimed just that extra millisecond faster. in order to get a direct hit on target.

7.  Wet ammo rack is good in keeping you alive as the Panthers side right under the turret is you ammo storage so its not uncommon to lose your ammorack in a game and if you plan to play aggressively it can lead to you getting shot to the side and losing your ammorack halfing your rate of fire and that can be the end of you, so if you plan to go aggressive pick the wet ammorack, it will pay off in the long run.

8.  Spall Liner keeps you crew alive from HE that is commonly shot at you, as Arty just see you as a big XP pinjata so getting shot by multiple arty, getting stunlocked in place and the KV-2's and other Derp guns that tanks are carrying are effective against the Panther so keeping your crew alive, lessening the effects of stun and HE can help you. it also protects you from ramming and gives you a tine boost to your raming as well so its a good option if you want to bully smaller tanks.

9.  Toolbox is good for getting your stuff back together faster, but as a sniper and having a turret does not give the Toolbox much use as you can just use a repair kit to fix your broken track and fallback. but still if you feel like you need it, its there.

10.  Torsion Bars allow you to mount better parts and equipment early on without the need for the new Tracks but once you have the better tracks this becomes useless.

11.  CO2 tanks are useless when it comes to Panther, in all my 500 games i've only been set on fire once, so you dont need this to keep you safe.

That is all the equipment for the Panther, i personally run Rammer, Vents & Coated Optics. to keep the tank effective yet flexible.

rammer, binos & camo net can work, if you prefer to stick to sniping.

Rammer, Vents & Wet Ammorack if you want to play aggressive.

Crew Skills

Next up will your Crew.

Panther has a 5 man crew where everyone has their own job, so for skill training its really easy.

Lets start with universal skills.

for these i would Say Brothers in Arms (BIA) is the best, it should be your second choise for your crew. as you have few skills on the crew members that need top priority.

but if you have a full female crew then its your frist choice.

Consealment is 2nd best from common skills.

Repairs is 3rd.

Firefighting is the 4th and should be the last skill you want to train for you crew as its so rare for the Panther to catch fire in my experience.

For the Commander.

you want Sixth Sense first as its tells you when you are spotted and when the enemy can see you, so you can move and get to a safe place.

2nd is Recon lets you see targets better.

3rd is eagle eye, its a good option as it tells you what internal damage the enemy has suffered, (''a broken ammorack on the enemy and he is alone'';) you can use that kind of information to your advantage.

4th is Mentor, its good to boost your other crew members advancement in their skills.

5th is jack of all trades it gives your commander the option to take place of a dead crew member usefull when you are waiting for your med kit.

Gunners skills.

Deadeye should be your first skill as it helps you damage enemy parts easier, and Tracking the enemy tank is usefull and if you know enemy weakpoints on where their ammorack is located can give you ammorack explosions, turning your 135 alpha into a big Ban hammer.

2nd is Snap Shot, helps you stay on target when you move your turret.

3rd is Designated target, it keeps your targer lit for longer.

4th is Armourer, helps your gun to stay accurate when damaged, but you can always fix it when it gets hit with a reapir kit, so its only usefull from time to time.

Driver skills

Controlled Impact should your first choice, the Speed and Weight of the Panther allows you to ram light tanks and medium tanks for more damage while taking less, i will talk about it later.

2nd is Smooth Ride giving you beter accuracy on the move.

3rd is Clutch Breaking, it allows you to turn faster meaning that faster tanks have harder time trying to circle you.

4th is off-road driving, boost your mobility on hard terrain by set amount.

5th skill Maintenance, should be one of you last skills to train as i said its uncommon to be set on fire in the Panther.

Loader skills

First should be Safe Stowage as the ammorack is weak on the Panther so keeping it safe is another Top priority.

2nd is Adrealine Rush, it gives you a mahor DPM boost when you are bellow 10% health, meaning you can survive a heated battel better as you gain a sudden ROF boost and if and when you carry on the fight your DPM stays increased making you even deadlier sniper later on.

3rd is Intuition usefull on slow firing guns but Panthers fast reloads make this skills more than useless.

Radioman skills

1st should be Situational Awarness, helps you see targets better.

2nd is Call for Vengeance giving your team few extra seconds to shoot targets you spotted giving you more assisted damage when you die.

3rd and 4th are Signal Boosting and Relaying, making your radio better, pick them in the orer you want. they effects are minor so you dont need to pay much mind to them.

Consumables

with the Crew al ready we should start talking about Consumables. as every tank needs them to stay alive for longer.

you can only take 3

Both Repair kits are a must, as your parts will break often and they need fixing. which ever you prefer and can afford. take a repair kit. 1st slot filled

Both Med kits are a must as well, your crew gets killed often and they keep your tank effective. which ever you prefer and can afford take a med kit. 2nd slot filled.

Both Fire Extinguishers, if you feel like you are getting set on fire take one or the other, i get set on fire so rarely so i use that spot for something else. 

Both Gasolines are usefull, but they offer a boost to mobility which is good but taking that the Panther is a Sniper tank so you will be sitting still, so the extra mobility is useful but meh.

Food, now food gives a slight increasi in DPM, Accuracy, Aim time, Camo and all that good stuff so if you can afford it take food. 3rd slot filled.

Ammo

Next is ammo. i will only be going over the 7,5 cm Kw.K. L/100.

Spoiler

Panther can carry up to 80 rounds

AP. should be you main focus, its cheap and effective and has the Best standard ammo penetration for all the Tier 7 Mediums.

APCR. is a solid choice if you dont want to be left helpless if you run against a heavy tank. so you should carry some APCR

HE. on the 7,5cm guns is rather useless, it is usefull against Hellcats and Rheinmetall's giving you some extra aplha if you penetrate their armour but can be low roll if you hit stronger parts of thier armour or gun/tracks.

HE is the only real thing you should consider if you should carry it, you get some extra alpha against paper tanks so it can be usefull, but my constant blind firing drains my ammo capacity so its not uncommon to run low on ammo, i've had games where i was down to my last 10 rounds when i was the last tank alive because sniping at weakspots and blind firing east your ammo rather quickly with such a fast firing low alpha gun.

my loadout is 50 AP and 30 APCR. that is what i find optimal.

Guns

There is only 3 guns for the Panther. two 7,5 cm guns and one 10,5 cm gun.

lets get the elephant out of the room first, the 10,5 cm Kw.K L/28 .

Just dont use it, it takes away everything the Panther is good at, its inaccurate, it has a long reload time does not do any notable amount of damage.

so in the end you end up having a gun that is inaccurate, with a long reload (6 seconds) that does less than 135 on average.

the 7,5 cm can shoot twice in that time and does more damage than the 10,5. if you really want to use it buy the PZ.IV H

the stock 7,5 cm Kw.K 42 L/70

the stock L/70 gun is the best starting gun out of the 2, but its inferioir to the L/100 once you unlock it. the only thing the L/70 has going for it is ammo capacity, as it can carry 95 rounds instead of 80, but it has less penetration and is less accurate than the L/100. 

the 7,5 cm Kw.K L/100

Tthe L/100 is the best gun for the Panther, most accurate and best AP penetration the tier 7 Mediums have to offer. everything you ever need.

For Sniper role i prefer the fast firing pew pew guns. sure you lose the peek a boo ability where you can slap the enemy for huge damage but unlike the slow firing high alpha guns the fast firing pew pew guns dont suffer as much if you miss. for if you miss a sgot with slow firing gun you have to wait for the long reload and the target has time to shoot back and hide untill you can shoot again, but with fast firing gun you may miss but you will get a second shot out after few seconds.

you do lose the ability to trade shots as you will be out traded by almost everything and anything that is in the same tier. so in order to win against big alpha guns you need to keep on firing as fast as you can, while trying to make the enemy miss or bounce their big alpha shells.

just dont start trading with your opponet, it will end badly for you. this is what it looks like.

Spoiler

Armor

Armor on the Panther is not great but you can still bounce shells and earn your everyday Steel Wall medal like a champ if you know how to angle your hull and bait for shots, being hull down is a good trick as well.

the 50mm strong side armour will allow you to bounce 122mm IS shells so it gives you a chance to man fight Heavy tanks if you manage to get a good sidescrape position.

the best trick for this is to angle your armour against where their gun is pointing, 

Spoiler

and being hull down is another common way to bounce shells as the Schmalturm is strong enough to do it from time to time.

Economy

Panther can make credits for you even if you are Free to Play, as long as you dont dont use expensive consumables or shoot Gold that much. the repair bill is usually around 8 000 to 9 000 credits and the Ammo is dirt cheap as one AP shell only costs you 109 Credits.

but sometimes you need to shoot gold if you hope to kill your opponent and because of that you should have a premium tank that you can play to keep the credits flowing.

and those are easy to get from events and such so pick one that you like.

with Premium time the credits come easier but you can lose money from time to time expecially if you spam that Gold.

i personally shoot gold even if i dont have premium time as i dont want to give the enemy an advantage just because they have armour and i dont want to spend few extra credits in order to kill them.

Tactics

lets talk about certain things you need to learn and do from time to time.

first up will be Blind firing.

Blind firing is usefull when you know and or have quessed the enemy's location and are firing to that general location, and this also means you need to have a solid supply of ammo hence why i dont carry HE as i ''waste'' a lot of AP/APCR shooting unvisible enemies.

as an example:

i have situtaion where there is a Defender in sight that i can see but it cannot see me.

for this i loaded APCR and aimed for its weakspot.

Spoiler

but the Defender gets unspotted but my crosshairs are still on Target.

Spoiler

i press the mouse 2 or right mouse button and keep it pressed down so the gun does not move.

and take an angle where i can see the wall behind the Defender and keep firing, if the shell its the wall, i missed if not i hit something.

Spoiler

But dont get tunnel vision shoot the target you know you can hit now.

its rather small but it shows that we have gotten one shot in already

Spoiler

Reaquire the target.

Spoiler

it gets unspotted again so right mouse button and 3rd person and keep firing untill the deed is done.

Spoiler

the deed is done. the Defender was a nice target that did not move away after being unspotted so i just had to keep on firing.

Spoiler

one of the safest ways to man fight tanks in the Panther is to sidescrape the 50mm stronk sides will allow you to from a autobounce angle against almost every tank you face, and its enought to safe you from Russians 122mm guns more than once in a row if you know how to do it.

being hulldown is also a good way to avoid getting killed as the Panthers small turret is strong enough and tine enough to be difficult target from a distance.

if you end up in city map take a nice corner that you can be behind and wait for their tracks to apear and perma track them on place.

now this next example is a set up but i did not want to go and look at all my replays where for a clip.

but what you want to do is to pick a corner where enemy tanks have to come out from sprocket wheel first so you can track them and keep them tracked if you manage to get them again when they try to fix it. a heavy tank with a rear mounted turret is the best prey as they most often leave a nice long front for you to shoot at while their gun stays behind cover so they cant shoot you.

as so

Spoiler

teaches them to respect a Corner Camping Panther.

the other one is to letting the rabit come out from hiding. another set up in picks but just there as an example.

if you see a enemy tank that has cover next to he can fall back to if you start shooting bu he does not know where you are its sometimes best to hold your fire. if he comes to the open and gets spotted but dont get shot at he might think that the way is clear so he can over commit. it far better to see what can hapen the you could shoot at the targer for 135 but if you wait you can get the whole tank in one go

a beautiful target but he can run into cover if you shoot at him once for 135 so its just best so see what he is planning to do...

Spoiler

oh sweet he started pushing, he has borken cover no where to run to, now back up get the advantage of bushes and farm him while he is in the open has to drive a long way to get to cover and that means you have more time to farm him. :justwait:

Spoiler

you got him, he is in your killing field doomed and can not see you now if you open fire.

Spoiler

so you need to learn the art of Blind firing, How to position yourself against a heavy in a urban area and how to lure a enemy out from cover to the open.

Maps

Next and last for now at least will be maps and where postion yourself in.

there are just the spots that i use in my day to day randoms so and i do change my tactics based on team set ups, MM +2 or -2 all that and how the game is progressing. but for the most part my favoured spots will be marked on the map.

Green is for the Green base side of the map.

Red is for the Red base side of the map

and Orange will be universal that both sides can use if they get that position.

Dashed lines is your main firing directions from that postion.

and dotted path's are where you should advance from as some maps need that in order for you to stay effective.

but you can and should use you own positions that are not marked on the map, i will also look for new positions and update them if i deem the worthy.

some locations on the maps are fallback positions or earlt game risky positions so not everything can be used every time, you just need to pick you think will be the best for said map and MM.

Spoiler

That is it for the moment. i will Edit this post and add more stuff info and quide when i need to.

i've been working this for 9 hours today so i will leave it at this state and fix and add stuff later. need to add detailed info for each map for example and the equipment 2.0 is on its way but for now. i thank you. may the RNG be with you. always. :honoring:

Edited by The_Naa, 21 July 2020 - 04:28 PM.

SiliconSidewinder #2 Posted 15 July 2020 - 10:44 PM

General

• Player
  • 30177 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

thanks for the work Naa :great:

gonna check out and argue over the details later :trollface:

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25894 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

Spoiler

jack_timber #4 Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:56 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 45821 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 15 July 2020 - 10:03 PM, said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Gruff_ #5 Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:52 AM

Major

• Player
  • 26387 battles
TLDR gj noob :)

Thejagdpanther #6 Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 40239 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

TL;DR version

snipe and save hp as much you can, and when you can ram hard.

:teethhappy:

Edited by Thejagdpanther, 16 July 2020 - 09:59 AM.

SiliconSidewinder #7 Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:55 PM

General

• Player
  • 30177 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

small note on the equipment side:

I am not suggesting one should equip it, but the spall liner does improve a tanks performance when it comes to ramming, meaning you recieve less damage yourself and I think the other guy gets more (been a while since I read up on that)

So if you are into ramming people, like panthers used to do in the golden age, a spall liner might be a option.

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25894 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View PostThejagdpanther, on 16 July 2020 - 08:50 AM, said:

TL;DR version

snipe and save hp as much you can, and when you can ram hard.

:teethhappy:

I can see a fantastic career in editing ahead of you.:honoring:

Miepie #9 Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:30 PM

Major

• Player
  • 6520 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Oddly enough the T6 Pudel has the same 50mm sidearmour, but the VK3002M and Croissanther do not. :popcorn:

The_Naa #10 Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSiliconSidewinder, on 16 July 2020 - 12:55 PM, said:

small note on the equipment side:

I am not suggesting one should equip it, but the spall liner does improve a tanks performance when it comes to ramming, meaning you recieve less damage yourself and I think the other guy gets more (been a while since I read up on that)

So if you are into ramming people, like panthers used to do in the golden age, a spall liner might be a option.

true, it does help you in ramming, you take less damage, and it does add mass to your tank so it should slightly increase the damage you deal as well.

ty for reminding me, one of the things i forgot and i will edit that in, there is a lot more that i forgot to add as well, i did not talke anything about the Gun it self for example. what tanks you should man fight against. so expect the quide to expand more in the neat future ;)

The_Naa #11 Posted 16 July 2020 - 02:55 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostMiepie, on 16 July 2020 - 01:30 PM, said:

Oddly enough the T6 Pudel has the same 50mm sidearmour, but the VK3002M and Croissanther do not. :popcorn:

yep, kinda makes me regret the Bret Panther a little bit, as its less efective than the Pudel.

i dont know the Bret Panther has less side and frontal armour but it does. cant ding as much :(

The_Naa #12 Posted 17 July 2020 - 05:28 PM

Major

• Player
  • 12881 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

was about to add a point on should you man fight tanks in the Panther, the short answer is ''No'' but it can work as it did in my latest game.

http://wotreplays.eu...the_naa-panther

where i did hold off a flank alone against 4 tanks :ohmy:

but either the enemies had no idea what they were doing or i was just that much more better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users