Skill Habit Noob Unicum Guide Information Advice Learn Important Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

SlyMeerkat #1 Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26368 battles
  • [OOUUF] OOUUF

So what is, in your opinion, the most important skill or habit to form whilst playing this game in order to better yourself as a player?..... I know there are quite a few things but if you were to put them in order from primary that benefits the most and secondary where it still is helpful but not as important, what would you suggest?

Also goal setting, what are yours currently and what ideas can you give so that other players of the skill level can match that where it's not too hard but doable enough for them if they kept putting in the effort?..... I myself have trouble with this at setting it smartly as well as with not overwhelming myself with ideas to point i feel like i have to do them all at once and now one step at a time which is something i do have difficulty doing, i must admit because i'm currently at peak performance and not sure what i can do in order to break this stalemate position of mine and get even better because right now, i don't feel as though im getting any better or worse :/

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 17 July 2020 - 11:13 AM.

Ricox #2 Posted 16 July 2020 - 12:50 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 1998 battles
  • [-D2S-] -D2S-

Not sure if my advice will be helpful as you're far more experienced, but IMO situational awareness (map reading, predicting outcomes, expecting friendly and enemy moves, knowing when to be patient, when to be aggressive etc.) is the single most important skill in the game.

Been watching a lot of streamers to re-learn the game and while their extensive knowledge of game mechanics and tanks does help and comes useful frequently, nothing comes close to how much better their performance is when they're in the right position at the right time. Even bad players can aim their guns, even average players can learn basic angling techniques, even average players can learn good map positions and bushes. But ultimately it won't lead players to consistently good performances unless they can dynamically adjust to what's happening in the actual battle and put themselves in tank-appropriate positions for as much of the battle as possible. A good bush doesn't matter one bit if there's no one to spot or shoot at.

Meanwhile well-developed situational awareness allows you to consistently set and meet performance targets because you can dynamically adjust your playstyle and positioning to be able to deal damage regardless of how the battle develops. But, of course, it's also the most difficult skill to develop and to master since it essentially combines everything there is to know, from tank stats (helps with predicting outcomes and meaningfully reading deployment) and map spots (helps to recognize firing and advance lanes, crossfire, etc.) to game mechanics (for example, how the deployments you see on the map translate to who possibly spots who) to an actual sense of tactics and strategy (for example, recognizing the viability of your team's deployments).

Thejagdpanther #3 Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:48 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 43810 battles
  • [TKBS] TKBS

Pretty much what ricox said:

knowing what to do, when to do it, where to do it.

Also knowing when to stop the session cause bad rng/mental fatigue/nervousness, could prevent a lot of bad losing streak.

Scanmen #4 Posted 16 July 2020 - 07:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30898 battles
  • [WNB] WNB
The most important thing is to keep calm,  when you see that the "rng" algorithm running on the server protects the weaker player on enemy team. ;)

Gremlin182 #5 Posted 16 July 2020 - 08:35 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 73087 battles
Knowing when to be cautious and when to be aggressive

Obsessive_Compulsive #6 Posted 16 July 2020 - 09:28 PM

General

• Player
  • 31101 battles
  • [J1FTD] J1FTD

View PostThejagdpanther, on 16 July 2020 - 01:48 PM, said:

Pretty much what ricox said:

knowing what to do, when to do it, where to do it.

Also knowing when to stop the session cause bad rng/mental fatigue/nervousness, could prevent a lot of bad losing streak.

THis is essentially every single piece of knowledge in the game.

SlyMeerkat #7 Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:17 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26368 battles
  • [OOUUF] OOUUF

Thanks for the Feedback, i myself is working more on my Map Awareness as that does need improving as well as Positioning :)

View PostThejagdpanther, on 16 July 2020 - 12:48 PM, said:

I tend to just persevere through those, do my best, analyze myself and move onto next 

Edited by SlyMeerkat, 17 July 2020 - 11:20 AM.

Nebuched #8 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14906 battles
Go in slow, especially in the back. 

Gruff_ #9 Posted 19 July 2020 - 02:40 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 28865 battles
  • [WAAT] WAAT

Close your eyes for blind shots.

Trust your gut.

call_me_ShockZz #10 Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21834 battles
  • [SAMPI] SAMPI

I may be alone with my opinion but one thing I've learned over the years is that knowledge is power. And by that I don't mean knowing weak spots, which ofc is important but it's not the only thing. Knowing alpha, reload, pen, etc. simply everything about the enemy tank influences so many of my decisions. You don't have to know the enemies reload or view range with every possible combination of equipment, but somewhat knowing what you are dealing with is important.

Now this isn't really a skill you can directly acquire, but what you should make a practice is 1. learning all the details about your own tank, look it up on tanks.gg and remember the armor profile, the caliber of your gun, alpha, pen, accuracy, gun handling, view range and mobility. If you don't even know your own tank, you won't be able to use its full potential. 2. If you get killed, outtraded, outspotted, whatever; look it up on tanks.gg. Now why would I want to do that every time? Simple, I didn't have sufficient knowledge about the enemy tank. 

There are so many decisions in each battle and each one of those is influenced by this exact knowledge. You have to be able to look at the team list before the battle starts and know what your chances of winning a flank are. If you look at the team list and immediately know which team has the stronger vehicles, strong and weak tanks equally stick out, you immediately compare the tanks that will most likely encounter each other on a flank and based on that make the decision where you want to go, whether you can to push right away and which ammo you have to load. You obviously won't ever be entirely correct with the predictions of who goes where, but that's not the point. It's about somewhat knowing your chances. You can't predict each and every players move, but knowing about their tanks weaknesses and strengths gives you an idea of how its going to play out and most importantly, what you can do and what you can't do.

TL;DR: Be willing to learn. In every battle there is something you could have done better, you just have to be willing to notice. If you aren't going "I should have done this or shouldn't have done that", you aren't learning and just accepting what happened.

TheJ4ckal #11 Posted 19 December 2020 - 11:47 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 8408 battles
One word, PATIENCE.

TerrysTanks #12 Posted 07 February 2021 - 12:28 PM

Private

• Player
  • 60721 battles
  • [NR-NS] NR-NS
Don't rush in!

hestJaevel #13 Posted 18 February 2021 - 01:43 PM

Private

• Player
  • 8891 battles
  • [SS3C] SS3C

The ability to evaluate map information and then reevaluate.

What I mean by this is the ability to not get stuck in a mindset, not getting stuck in tunnel vision, not being stuck in the "heavy tanks go here medium tanks go here" - mindset.

grasho #14 Posted 18 February 2021 - 02:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 100616 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Play as many tanks as you can.  

The best way to learn how to destroy a tank is to drive it and get destroyed in it, then work out where the enemy penned you.

The best way to learn the maps and learn how to avoid SPGs is to play SPGs and find out where SPGs can’t hit.

_217_ #15 Posted 19 February 2021 - 07:42 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 28167 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I don't have the skill level to say something about the most important skills, although map/situational awarenes and patience clearly are where it goes wrong for me.

Regarding realistic goals. For me lately there are two. The first is to progress up a tech tree untill i cannot get or maintain at least a 50% ish WR. Usually that means tier 7 is the max. The second is get at least a 1st MoE and try to get and keep that at least at 70%. 

For me the second goal can overrule the first because consistently playing better with a tank than 70% of the other players, well, that must be oke. So you will see  a Panther and AMX 13-75 in my garage with below 50% WR. 

And offcourse there is one rule to bind them all: a tank must be fun to stay in my garage...

Edited by Unicorn_of_Steel, 19 February 2021 - 07:48 AM.

Bio_ShocKs #16 Posted 19 February 2021 - 10:07 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 14099 battles
  • [VTEX] VTEX

leave flanks when you see or feel they are in danger of been overrun even if this is early on in the battle, so many players don't do this they commit to a flank and just stay there, they see it as running and letting them die, this is not the intention its what you would call a tactical retreat its easier to assist a fallen flank from as distance on in a hull down position where your team can help then trying to be a hero playing the 1 v 5. 

Damage is king - the more damage you do in a game the bigger chance you have off winning it's a fact, I see a lot of players that don't understand this. you play to win in order to win you have to do damage to the enemy the more damage you do the less hp the enemy has to be aggressive (i was called a stat padder yesterday just because i was holding a hill in my Scorp G and didn't yolo the cap, i did 4k damage with 2k assist and stopped the enemy from taking the hill, lone behold we won the game) 

players that play assault TD's  and sit bush - don't do this, i see countless players doing it, be aggressive you have armour and HP so use it, heavy tanks wont be aggressive if they know there an e4 or jpz 100 sat on the corner. 

your mini map is your best friend - make it bigger and read it, it helps you so much to understand what's going on around you. you can see a flank falling you can move into position to farm damage from the enemy push.

check your six - always zoom out and check what's going on behind you and around you (i do this after nearly every shot), been constantly zoomed in (tunnel vison) is bad, its means your not aware of your surroundings to see what your teams is doing and to see if your been flanked from behind.

EBR's & light thanks - these need to die asap (you see one in the open shoot it ignore everything else that's lit up) its also good aiming practice, a good EBR or Light tank player alive late in the battle is dangerous they can pretty much win a game at that stage, they are the eyes for the enemy and can wreck tanks that don't have support in the open 1v1. 

counting auto-loader shots - its so important, 4 shot auto loader fires 3 shots you know you have the hp to to push him or peak him.      

bush firing - don't sit directly in a bush and fire, pull back out of the bush then fire you are a lot less likely to be spotted doing it like this 

Edited by Bio_ShocKs, 19 February 2021 - 10:26 AM.

killer999death #17 Posted 12 May 2021 - 02:54 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29344 battles
  • [JHS] JHS
Most important skill is to pres + a few times to make the mini map larger. 

swamp_monster #18 Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

Private

• Player
  • 7295 battles
  • [NTE] NTE

View PostTheJ4ckal, on 19 December 2020 - 11:47 PM, said:

One word, PATIENCE.

this more than anything

SPOT SPOT SPOT 30 secs into a match really does my head in

Also tagged with Skill, Habit, Noob, Unicum, Guide, Information, Advice, Learn, Important, Suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users