Jump to content


Ranked Battles: Learn From the Past—Get to the Top


  • Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:00 AM

    Sergeant

  • Content Team
  • 0 battles
  • 34,760
  • Member since:
    11-09-2011
Check out the best performing Standard and Collectors' Vehicles from the last Season to get an edge for the next race for the crown.

The full text of the news item

SebioC #2 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

    Staff Sergeant

  • Player
  • 38264 battles
  • 444
  • [GOP] GOP
  • Member since:
    04-27-2011

Object 261  has 20 shells ... 

 

 



Berbo #3 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

    eSports Manager Europe

  • WG Staff
  • 34197 battles
  • 5,188
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostSebioC, on 17 July 2020 - 10:13 AM, said:

Object 261  has 20 shells ... 

 

Fixed, tyvm!



mrtvimarijan #4 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 43860 battles
  • 941
  • [NOPAS] NOPAS
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011
Manticore... are these guys for real?

shikaka9 #5 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:40 AM

    Major

  • Player
  • 80050 battles
  • 2,608
  • Member since:
    02-27-2013

:popcorn:

WARNING! Fake news.

 


Edited by shikaka9, 17 July 2020 - 10:47 AM.


SlyMeerkat #6 Posted 17 July 2020 - 10:56 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 21022 battles
  • 3,841
  • Member since:
    01-29-2013

Handy information there :)

 

I may also like to add that this Season of Ranked Battles without Reward Tanks has made it a lot more enjoyable to play, even though it encourages greed and selfish plays rather than actual teamwork but without Chieftains & 279 to ruin it all is what got me and i'm sure many others as well who has never played Ranked to actually start playing as well, which is great..... As a Chieftain owner myself i did not like the idea of playing it in Ranked, heck even Randoms as i'd rather not be apart of the problem with the game, so with that said, i hope this restriction stays with Ranked and is something which should be considered in Randoms as well with the EBR, Arty limit and if a Reward Tank is in the MM than limit those to 1 as well, would make Tier 10 so much more enjoyable to play i think.



MarveII #7 Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:03 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 16476 battles
  • 52
  • [TRIGG] TRIGG
  • Member since:
    07-12-2011

A lots of tanks a categorized into the wrong role. For example Leopard 1 has initial spotting as it's role which doesn't suit it. Leopard 1 is a long range sniper and support tank, it shouldn't rely on spotting. It should be changed to causing damage form mid- to long range and causing damage in view range (upon spotting). Leopard can't trade or block damage and it can't spot because there are EBRs and other light tanks which make it impossible to spot with the Leopard 1. Also it is not an agressive frontline tank so it shouldn't be the one spotting enemy tanks. It should be the one doing damage either from close or long range as a support vehicle.


Edited by MarveII, 17 July 2020 - 11:04 AM.


OSBTrebek #8 Posted 17 July 2020 - 11:40 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 14877 battles
  • 129
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    03-24-2013

*
POPULAR

Here's some slightly better advice:

 

1) Due to the broken chevron system, it's not about doing your best nearly as much as making sure that you're not the worst. Betray your teammates and camp in the back as landing 2 more shots will guarantee you don't lose a chevron.

2) Never make aggressive plays when behind - once you're down 1 tank it's almost impossible to come back due to point 1. Once you're down a tank, it will steamroll against you in 90% of matches making the correct choice to hide in the back in preservation mode. If wargaming didn't want this toxic behavior they wouldn't have designed it this way.

3) The rank system is based on brownian motion (random walk process) so the only way to progress is to get a winning streak and employ point 1 if not winning. Mathematically even a mediocre player can advance the ranks, it will just take you hundreds of games, so don't worry it's not about skill it's about endurance and luck. If wargaming didn't want this they could have made it about averaged win rate over a fixed number of games, but they apparently want the individual to work against the team.

4) Only play 1 or 2 tanks per day to conserve your bonus battles. NEVER use bonus battles just after you have passed a rank with rank armor - save them for near the end of that stretch.

5) Light tanks - don't bother with anything but the EBR105. The broken hit boxes, autolock, and fear of getting spotted on the enemy team makes them often run away from you - you are the sheep dog that can heard the enemy team. Don't worry about being good, just get a bunch of spotting early and win or lose you have secured your chevron (see point 1) and are free to go ruin another game. Traditional light tanks will struggle as your team will often hide rather than take shots at what you passive spot - they only come out of hiding to take shots when they think the target is distracted e.g. by an EBR going BRRRRRRR behind them.

 

In short it's amazing how the chevron retention system eliminates any and all teamwork. GG wargaming for designing a mode for a team game where the interests of the individual are opposed to those of the team. It would be trivially easy to withhold rewards until the end of the ranked season, then rank all the players based on win rate giving the bottom 10-20% nothing, but at least the chevrons are entertaining for how miserable it makes people.


Edited by OSBTrebek, 17 July 2020 - 11:43 AM.


LoctMihai #9 Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:03 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 16781 battles
  • 3
  • [G_N_T] G_N_T
  • Member since:
    03-30-2013

View PostOSBTrebek, on 17 July 2020 - 10:40 AM, said:

Here's some slightly better advice:

 

1) Due to the broken chevron system, it's not about doing your best nearly as much as making sure that you're not the worst. Betray your teammates and camp in the back as landing 2 more shots will guarantee you don't lose a chevron.

2) Never make aggressive plays when behind - once you're down 1 tank it's almost impossible to come back due to point 1. Once you're down a tank, it will steamroll against you in 90% of matches making the correct choice to hide in the back in preservation mode. If wargaming didn't want this toxic behavior they wouldn't have designed it this way.

3) The rank system is based on brownian motion (random walk process) so the only way to progress is to get a winning streak and employ point 1 if not winning. Mathematically even a mediocre player can advance the ranks, it will just take you hundreds of games, so don't worry it's not about skill it's about endurance and luck. If wargaming didn't want this they could have made it about averaged win rate over a fixed number of games, but they apparently want the individual to work against the team.

4) Only play 1 or 2 tanks per day to conserve your bonus battles. NEVER use bonus battles just after you have passed a rank with rank armor - save them for near the end of that stretch.

5) Light tanks - don't bother with anything but the EBR105. The broken hit boxes, autolock, and fear of getting spotted on the enemy team makes them often run away from you - you are the sheep dog that can heard the enemy team. Don't worry about being good, just get a bunch of spotting early and win or lose you have secured your chevron (see point 1) and are free to go ruin another game. Traditional light tanks will struggle as your team will often hide rather than take shots at what you passive spot - they only come out of hiding to take shots when they think the target is distracted e.g. by an EBR going BRRRRRRR behind them.

 

In short it's amazing how the chevron retention system eliminates any and all teamwork. GG wargaming for designing a mode for a team game where the interests of the individual are opposed to those of the team. It would be trivially easy to withhold rewards until the end of the ranked season, then rank all the players based on win rate giving the bottom 10-20% nothing, but at least the chevrons are entertaining for how miserable it makes people.

Big Thanks from my heart! You made it so clear! You point out every detail of this usless mode! EVERYBODY CAMPS IN THE BACK for free damage, and playing soviet tanks is the way to do it beacause soviet tanks are unfair good: EXAMPLE: light tank t100 lt the best scout; medium OBJ 430U with heavy potential( wtf) ; heavy OBJ 277 QUOTE WG : ''A heavy with the mobility of a medium tank'' WTF!! 

 

So, whats the point of playing this mode?! And btw all RANDOM GAMES with enemy obj 279e cheating unfair tank allways win!! 



Simona2k #10 Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:18 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 4597 battles
  • 1,347
  • [FOXZA] FOXZA
  • Member since:
    10-01-2017
Thats interesting

SfMercenary1312 #11 Posted 17 July 2020 - 12:31 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 17933 battles
  • 18
  • [METAL] METAL
  • Member since:
    02-26-2013

Role Performance: Heavy Destroyer

  • Make good use of the highest DPM of all the TDs
  • One of the strongest frontal armors of all

And this is how u adwertise badger. Have you finally managed to buff frontalrmor ? 
If not, you should change it " most useless frontal armor of all" 


 



Weak_man #12 Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:14 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9651 battles
  • 1,494
  • [AMURG] AMURG
  • Member since:
    12-31-2017

Better than last year but 2 arties/team and ebr still ruin most of the fun.

2 arty/ team make important positions in many maps unplayable.

Had a game with 2 arties on serenecoast in progeto 65. First 4 shots from arties to me and it was in garage.

And why Leo 1 gets role xp only from it's own spotting when it have zero armour?


Edited by Weak_man, 17 July 2020 - 01:15 PM.


Glimmer_of_Hope #13 Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:15 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 10539 battles
  • 144
  • Member since:
    09-11-2011

View PostOSBTrebek, on 17 July 2020 - 11:40 AM, said:

Here's some slightly better advice:

 

1) Due to the broken chevron system, it's not about doing your best nearly as much as making sure that you're not the worst. Betray your teammates and camp in the back as landing 2 more shots will guarantee you don't lose a chevron.

2) Never make aggressive plays when behind - once you're down 1 tank it's almost impossible to come back due to point 1. Once you're down a tank, it will steamroll against you in 90% of matches making the correct choice to hide in the back in preservation mode. If wargaming didn't want this toxic behavior they wouldn't have designed it this way.

3) The rank system is based on brownian motion (random walk process) so the only way to progress is to get a winning streak and employ point 1 if not winning. Mathematically even a mediocre player can advance the ranks, it will just take you hundreds of games, so don't worry it's not about skill it's about endurance and luck. If wargaming didn't want this they could have made it about averaged win rate over a fixed number of games, but they apparently want the individual to work against the team.

4) Only play 1 or 2 tanks per day to conserve your bonus battles. NEVER use bonus battles just after you have passed a rank with rank armor - save them for near the end of that stretch.

5) Light tanks - don't bother with anything but the EBR105. The broken hit boxes, autolock, and fear of getting spotted on the enemy team makes them often run away from you - you are the sheep dog that can heard the enemy team. Don't worry about being good, just get a bunch of spotting early and win or lose you have secured your chevron (see point 1) and are free to go ruin another game. Traditional light tanks will struggle as your team will often hide rather than take shots at what you passive spot - they only come out of hiding to take shots when they think the target is distracted e.g. by an EBR going BRRRRRRR behind them.

 

In short it's amazing how the chevron retention system eliminates any and all teamwork. GG wargaming for designing a mode for a team game where the interests of the individual are opposed to those of the team. It would be trivially easy to withhold rewards until the end of the ranked season, then rank all the players based on win rate giving the bottom 10-20% nothing, but at least the chevrons are entertaining for how miserable it makes people.

 

This basically sums up the whole ranked season so far. If nothing drastically changes I won't continue playing, it's literally wasted time.



Weak_man #14 Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9651 battles
  • 1,494
  • [AMURG] AMURG
  • Member since:
    12-31-2017

View PostMarveII, on 17 July 2020 - 12:03 PM, said:

A lots of tanks a categorized into the wrong role. For example Leopard 1 has initial spotting as it's role which doesn't suit it. Leopard 1 is a long range sniper and support tank, it shouldn't rely on spotting. It should be changed to causing damage form mid- to long range and causing damage in view range (upon spotting). Leopard can't trade or block damage and it can't spot because there are EBRs and other light tanks which make it impossible to spot with the Leopard 1. Also it is not an agressive frontline tank so it shouldn't be the one spotting enemy tanks. It should be the one doing damage either from close or long range as a support vehicle.

 

True, Leo role is wrong



OSBTrebek #15 Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:21 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 14877 battles
  • 129
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    03-24-2013

View PostGlimmer_of_Hope, on 17 July 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

 

This basically sums up the whole ranked season so far. If nothing drastically changes I won't continue playing, it's literally wasted time.

I gave it a shot after they removed the OP reward tanks which I appreciate, but the design of the chevron system just breeds terrible game play. If the whole thing was a fixed number of games like qualification with zero rewards during (determine your rank at the end and get rewards then with nothing for the bottom 10-20% to eliminate botting) it would align the interests of the individual with those of the team, but I'm just an electrical engineer not a game designer so what do I know.


Edited by OSBTrebek, 17 July 2020 - 01:21 PM.


kuszi1994 #16 Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 12850 battles
  • 140
  • Member since:
    06-05-2013

did 4 match and what heppend arty focus firered me in 3 game.. and ebrs.. ruin the fun still idk why you guys take the rush the ranked season.

you could make more test on ptr and load the patch for the ebr nerfs .. they ruin the fun of any light what's the point of playing with normal light tank if the ebr yoloing and he gets ther befor anyone and has some viewe range like a regular light. Make absolutly no sense to me



kejmo #17 Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 39914 battles
  • 1,030
  • [GO-HA] GO-HA
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011

EBR : Paper thin armor hahahaha these guys at WG have some serious sense for humor :D

 

you just forgot to write how that paper thin armor bounces 155mm shells without problems, how grilles gun cant penetrate it, how the 30th century wheels absorb every kind of damage, how the "bad" view range doesnt count at all because the clown car is too fast for WoT engine spotting system to even be detected until it rams you and negates all view range weaknesess. 

 

Gj WG. At least in one thing you are always perfectly correct. By being incorrect (or should i say, lying) to customers.

 

Keep up the good work and cheers to Yuriy, Igor and Anton for keeping the game balanced as it is at this moment.



Starforge #18 Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 14082 battles
  • 53
  • [NYSE] NYSE
  • Member since:
    01-13-2018
Very useful info for everyone i suppose!
But i really dont see why you had to ban some t10 tanks this time: 121B, foch155, FV215 heavy, these tanks are not OP, but otherwise pretty bad...

Weak_man #19 Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:22 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 9651 battles
  • 1,494
  • [AMURG] AMURG
  • Member since:
    12-31-2017
Posted Image

Edited by Weak_man, 17 July 2020 - 02:23 PM.


zmijoguz #20 Posted 17 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 33480 battles
  • 17
  • [TRUT_] TRUT_
  • Member since:
    06-22-2015
I played 40k random battles, but when I enter Ranked mode, it's like I logged into the Martian server. I have no clue what the team is doing and what is going through their minds. The gameplay with 2 arta + EBR and usually 7-8 mediums is really "diverse". Map rotation - I played around 20 battles yesterday... 3 times Westfield, 4-5 other maps got twice.
All in all fun, fun, fun. So I'm going with arty today. I noticed arty always "does it's role" and is rewarded by the mode, but when I play 100LT and carry the game with dmg and frags, I end up in 4th place.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users