Missing shells (Ghost shells) are getting out of hand! happens every game

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

iraqxlol #1 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:22 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4811 battles

Every game I get a missing shell, Shell doesn't hit the target or the ground behind him.

Ping over 100-120

Pocket loss 0-1%

Got some replies and videos from Youtube about this crap.

Including a very old sir foch video about the same issue

This problem is getting more and more often to the point of missing 2 or 3 shells per game! I can see the tracer of the shell going inside the enemy tank without doing any damage!

Some people say you weren't even aiming there, That is server/client error that makes your tank appear as it was aiming there.

And some say that is latency error that causes the server to not register the shell, Although the server register the shell being fired.

I say either way this issue should be fixed, This isn't my problem or anyone's problem, This is wargaming's incompetent servers problem.

I don't think anyone haven't experienced this at least once.

It is getting really annoying specially when using high alpha long reload guns.

wsatnutter #2 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:33 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27650 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
have you a replay that we could watch by any chance?

Edited by wsatnutter, 18 July 2020 - 09:34 AM.

BravelyRanAway #3 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25884 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postiraqxlol, on 18 July 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Every game I get a missing shell, Shell doesn't hit the target or the ground behind him.

Ping over 100-120

Pocket loss 0-1%

This problem is getting more and more often to the point of missing 2 or 3 shells per game! I can see the tracer of the shell going inside the enemy tank without doing any damage!

Some people say you weren't even aiming there, That is server/client error that makes your tank appear as it was aiming there.

And some say that is latency error that causes the server to not register the shell, Although the server register the shell being fired.

I say either way this issue should be fixed, This isn't my problem or anyone's problem, This is wargaming's incompetent servers problem.

Have you run a pingplotter to find out where the problem actually happening?

iraqxlol #4 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4811 battles

View Postwsatnutter, on 18 July 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

have you a replay that we could watch by any chance?

Last minutes of the game, After I got shot by ISU-152 he was spotted, I shot him, His whole tank was in circle impossible the shell miss him, Nor hit his mantlet, Yet the shell was nowhere to be found.

Which caused me to die by artillery shell shortly after because how crap that moment was.

http://wotreplays.eu...qxlol-jagdtiger

I might have more replies of other games, But since it happens almost every game I will post the replays.

Shivvering #5 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 37653 battles
  • [B-HZE] B-HZE

View Postiraqxlol, on 18 July 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

Last minutes of the game, After I got shot by ISU-152 he was spotted, I shot him, His whole tank was in circle impossible the shell miss him, Nor hit his mantlet, Yet the shell was nowhere to be found.

Which caused me to die by artillery shell shortly after because how crap that moment was.

http://wotreplays.eu...qxlol-jagdtiger

I might have more replies of other games, But since it happens almost every game I will post the replays.

I have noticed more ping spikes than usual when playing WoT over the last few weeks.

Nowhere near the degree of ghost shells you are experiencing though. Maybe once or twice in the last couple hundred games?

Edited by Shivvering, 18 July 2020 - 09:53 AM.

jabster #6 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postiraqxlol, on 18 July 2020 - 08:22 AM, said:

Ping over 100-120

Pocket loss 0-1%

So my basic understanding of how this works. The client has its view of the world (which is what you see displayed) and the server, taken from input from the client, has its view of the world (which is what the actually shot calculations are performed on). Generally these are pretty much in sync. with each other so you don’t notice the slight differences. When you press fire the client displays the shot based on its view and tells the server that a shot has been made. When the server receives the shot it calculates where the shot actually goes and the result of that is sent back to the client. This works fine unless the connection between the client and server is a bit flakey meaning they can be noticeable out of sync. with each other. The result, where the client is displaying the gun aim may be quite different from where the server has the gun aiming and it’s even possible that the server never gets to process the fire command. In the latter case the client will still display the shot path.

Unfortunately if you have a flaky connection (have you used pingplotter to try and check your connection) this is what you’re going to get and as WG only have control of their own infrastructure they can’t do anything in particular for other parts of your connection.

Frostilicus #7 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:54 AM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 24422 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

Firstly, kudos to the OP for providing a replay - replays with ghost shells are so tasty that most plaintiffs find their dog has eaten it :)

To the replay, watched it a couple of times, you were aiming at the upper right of the ISU (as you look at it) and are going backwards, and down a gradient, as you fire - I don't think it's as nailed on a shot as you make it out to be and I'd say there was a more than 50/50 chance that your shot could have gone over. Do you switch off zoom just before you fire? Someone else was doing that in a replay a couple of weeks ago - just wonderin' :)

BravelyRanAway #8 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:22 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25884 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postjabster, on 18 July 2020 - 08:52 AM, said:

Unfortunately if you have a flaky connection (have you used pingplotter to try and check your connection) this is what you’re going to get and as WG only have control of their own infrastructure they can’t do anything in particular for other parts of your connection.

His ping is dreadful.

jabster #9 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:53 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostBravelyRanAway, on 18 July 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

His ping is dreadful.

Well it’s not good I agree but I’m not sure how high it has to be before it starts causing problems.

_SyN_ #10 Posted 18 July 2020 - 12:06 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12723 battles
If you watch it slowed down it looks like the shell veers off to the right and misses the target. It happened because you were backing up as you shot which increased the size of you reticule and a good portion of the reticule was definitely not on the enemy tank. Any other replays? as this one is user error.

wsatnutter #11 Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 27650 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT
as said above you were backing off when you fired so you were not fully aimed and thx for posting a replay

saxsan4 #12 Posted 18 July 2020 - 01:44 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 26555 battles
  • [-WR--] -WR--
I thought had 2 ghost shells the other day, but it turns out they both hit and pen a tank that was invisible in front xD

iraqxlol #13 Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4811 battles

View Post_SyN_, on 18 July 2020 - 02:06 PM, said:

If you watch it slowed down it looks like the shell veers off to the right and misses the target. It happened because you were backing up as you shot which increased the size of you reticule and a good portion of the reticule was definitely not on the enemy tank. Any other replays? as this one is user error.

View Postwsatnutter, on 18 July 2020 - 03:33 PM, said:

as said above you were backing off when you fired so you were not fully aimed and thx for posting a replay

I rewatched the replay, my aiming circle definitely wasn't that size, I can assure you that.

The replay was different compared to how I saw it.

This is just like how I mention before, My view was slightly diffierent compared to how the server saw it. This happens to other people as well.

I remember reading somewhere that someone also had missing shell only to watch the replay and finding out that his turret was on the opposite side of the enemy tank or something like that.

Maybe it severity depends on the connection.

Frostilicus #14 Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

Colonel

• Clan Diplomat
  • 24422 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-
I think the problem is exactly as you describe it - what the server knows has happened and what you see aren't exactly the same - I personally believe this latency issue accounts for the majority of ghost shells

Edited by Frostilicus, 18 July 2020 - 03:26 PM.

iraqxlol #15 Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:41 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4811 battles

This is another one, My aim was to the hull of the tank, The circle suddenly increased in size the moment the shot was taken.

Although the ping was 500ish, Perhaps that caused to delay the shell from firing or perhaps messed with my movement, Which inturn enlarged the shell.

Although I do notice, When my ping is high, My tank start getting very slaggish and unresponsive to my input. Not to mention it causes the aiming circle to be randomly enlarged, Even on the slightest movment.

Watch the 6:33 minute mark

http://wotreplays.eu...iraqxlol-t110e3

Edit: You can notice, The ping skyrocketed the moment I started moving to take the shot.

Edited by iraqxlol, 18 July 2020 - 03:47 PM.

jabster #16 Posted 18 July 2020 - 03:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View Postiraqxlol, on 18 July 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

This is another one, My aim was to the hull of the tank, The circle suddenly increased in size the moment the shot was taken.

Although the ping was 500ish, Perhaps that caused to delay the shell from firing or perhaps messed with my movement, Which inturn enlarged the shell.

Although I do notice, When my ping is high, My tank start getting very slaggish and unresponsive to my input. Not to mention it causes the aiming circle to be randomly enlarged, Even on the slightest movment.

Watch the 6:33 minute mark

http://wotreplays.eu...iraqxlol-t110e3

Edit: You can notice, The ping skyrocketed the moment I started moving to take the shot.

So run pingplotter and then maybe you’ll be able to see where the problem is.

BravelyRanAway #17 Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:44 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 25884 battles
  • [H_I_T] H_I_T

View Postiraqxlol, on 18 July 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

Try resetting your router. (turn it off and back on again)

nc30_guy #18 Posted 18 July 2020 - 05:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28120 battles
Had a few issues with ghost shells also since last patch...... pretty much ok before then.

Randomar #19 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32240 battles
Do you know how long the existence of Ghost Shells has been rejected?

jabster #20 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 12856 battles
  • [WSAT] WSAT

View PostRandomar, on 19 July 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

Do you know how long the existence of Ghost Shells has been rejected?

Rejected by who exactly as I’ve seen many posters who do agree they happen but I can’t think of a single poster (that doesn’t mean there isn’t one) who rejects the idea that they don’t occur.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users