Ranked: the worst battle mode ever.

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

ArmouredPenguin #1 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:11 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

I have to varying degrees enjoyed all of the different modes made available to us. I even did the full Frontlines grind during its first year. But ranked...seriously, is by far the most annoying and frustrating mode ever. If it wasn't for the mass of bonds I can definitely say I would not be playing it and think I can safely say most others wouldn't be either. Most players are grateful that reward tanks are gone this year but that does not fix the problem. WG wants a competitive TEAM game with RANDOMS that are rewarded INDIVIDUALLY for their efforts. Sorry to say but this is utter stupidity and leads to people playing in the worst ways possible that takes all the fun out of WoT. Limiting arty, EBR's, or simply placing some kind of barrier to stop bad players taking part does not fix the problem. Most good players play like cowards to maximise their dmg because really who cares about winning when top 5 never lose.

Rant over, will keep playing but hate every minute of it.

shikaka9 #2 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:19 PM

Major

• Player
  • 80294 battles

View PostArmouredPenguin, on 18 July 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

, will keep playing but hate every minute of it.

thats sad

Erwin_Von_Braun #3 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46921 battles

View PostArmouredPenguin, on 18 July 2020 - 07:11 PM, said:

will keep playing 

Then you have no right to complain.

gunslingerXXX #4 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:38 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15357 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

Geuss my first attempt was badly formulated, lets try again.

Bonds are not very valuable unless you really need the small improvement the equipment gives, right?

Edited by gunslingerXXX, 18 July 2020 - 08:40 PM.

ArmouredPenguin #5 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 18 July 2020 - 07:23 PM, said:

Its such a shame when people like you think you are being clever when in reality your comment could not be more stupid.

DaniulSims #6 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11477 battles
  • [ELC3K] ELC3K
You're complaining about something, point out why you don't like it (and the main reason is why it's called Ranked in the first place), you say you'll keep on playing it regardless, people tell you that's a bad idea, and you call them stupid?

ArmouredPenguin #7 Posted 18 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View Postshikaka9, on 18 July 2020 - 07:19 PM, said:

thats sad

It is very sad but hopefully enough bonds will bring me the joy of a chieftain :)

ArmouredPenguin #8 Posted 18 July 2020 - 09:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View PostDaniulSims, on 18 July 2020 - 07:52 PM, said:

You're complaining about something, point out why you don't like it (and the main reason is why it's called Ranked in the first place), you say you'll keep on playing it regardless, people tell you that's a bad idea, and you call them stupid?

you are clearly so confused that you do not even deserve a proper response. you and other stupid can go talk in corner somewhere else. But then again why would i ever expect a mini rant to start any meaningful conversation let alone manage to start one in the forums. A place where most responders cant even manage to read before they write and talk nonsense when they do while thinking they are being clever.

Edited by ArmouredPenguin, 18 July 2020 - 09:46 PM.

ArmouredPenguin #9 Posted 18 July 2020 - 10:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View PostgunslingerXXX, on 18 July 2020 - 07:38 PM, said:

Geuss my first attempt was badly formulated, lets try again.

Bonds are not very valuable unless you really need the small improvement the equipment gives, right?

Bonds are very valuable if you want to win the auction for a chieftain or 907.  To me it a total waste spending bonds on enhanced equipment, now they doing bounty equipment,

Shaka_D #10 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:49 PM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 38760 battles

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 18 July 2020 - 08:23 PM, said:

That's utterly stupid logic. Think about it. Doesn't that sound a little non-liberal: If you want to play the game, never complain about it, but if you complain you have no right to play it. If the world operated on those principals we'd all be in big trouble. Complaining about something can lead to change, change can be good or bad, and I bet you a lot that there are lots and lots of good changes in the game that you yourself are enjoying that were the result of player feedback, one way or the other.

Edited by Shaka_D, 18 July 2020 - 11:51 PM.

Hyina #11 Posted 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 67453 battles

Ranked is exactly what it's designed to be, a competition where the best excel. The top players will find it not too difficult and finish with a respectable %. Others, not so lucky.

It's designed to punish mistakes, which means >80% of the general gaming population will struggle badly.

Mistakes can mean anything from map knowledge, to ability to read the flow of the battle, to aggression/passive balance, to timing of pushes and timing to fall back.

Doesn't matter how many battles or how high your WN8/WGR is, I've seen others make and have made my own mistakes. You just gotta learn from it and not repeat it next time.

I have a separate issue where 80-90% of my double chevs have come from a defeat, as a result progress is much slower and only at 120% overall atm, otherwise even if it's 50/50 balance I'd be on around 170% by now. Sucks but it is what it is :coin:

ZlatanArKung #12 Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:25 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 1537 battles

View PostHyina, on 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM, said:

Ranked is exactly what it's designed to be, a competition where the best excel. The top players will find it not too difficult and finish with a respectable %. Others, not so lucky.

It's designed to punish mistakes, which means >80% of the general gaming population will struggle badly.

Mistakes can mean anything from map knowledge, to ability to read the flow of the battle, to aggression/passive balance, to timing of pushes and timing to fall back.

Doesn't matter how many battles or how high your WN8/WGR is, I've seen others make and have made my own mistakes. You just gotta learn from it and not repeat it next time.

I have a separate issue where 80-90% of my double chevs have come from a defeat, as a result progress is much slower and only at 120% overall atm, otherwise even if it's 50/50 balance I'd be on around 170% by now. Sucks but it is what it is :coin:

A thing that reduce competition between teams is the reward WG hand out for the 'best losers'.

Which shouldn't be a thing. You should compete with enemy team, and not with your team mates.

You lose, you lose chevrons, you win you gain chevrons. 

Schepel #13 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:11 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 67190 battles

View PostHyina, on 19 July 2020 - 01:27 AM, said:

Ranked is about as toxic as it gets because you aren't rewarded for playing well, you are rewarded for _literally_  screwing over your own team. Great players will do better in this mode, but that doesn't mean the mode functions as it ought to. It simply means great players are also better at screwing over their own team.

@ OP: Do not play ranked. The only metric WG understands is the number of people playing a mode. It that number drops, they will review the mode. Usually that means removal of a mode, but at any rate, if we keep on playing it regardless how much of a pain a mode is, it counts as a success.

Erwin_Von_Braun #14 Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:02 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46921 battles

View PostArmouredPenguin, on 18 July 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

Its such a shame when people like you think you are being clever when in reality your comment could not be more stupid.

"I think this is a terrible event"

"I'm going to continue to play it"

:facepalm:

Ridiculous.

09:05 Added after 2 minute

View PostShaka_D, on 18 July 2020 - 10:49 PM, said:

That's utterly stupid logic. Think about it. Doesn't that sound a little non-liberal: If you want to play the game, never complain about it, but if you complain you have no right to play it. If the world operated on those principals we'd all be in big trouble. Complaining about something can lead to change, change can be good or bad, and I bet you a lot that there are lots and lots of good changes in the game that you yourself are enjoying that were the result of player feedback, one way or the other.

I never said anything like that.

Only that to say you hate something whilst continuing to participate is the absolute definition of hypocrisy.

Edited by Erwin_Von_Braun, 19 July 2020 - 10:15 AM.

_LongRangeSniper_ #15 Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:07 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 41285 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

View PostArmouredPenguin, on 18 July 2020 - 09:29 PM, said:

Bonds are very valuable if you want to win the auction for a chieftain or 907.  To me it a total waste spending bonds on enhanced equipment, now they doing bounty equipment,

You may have more fun grinding personal missions and expanding your garage to do CW. Don’t forget you can take bonds in CW as rewards if you don’t cross the line for a tank. I have the Chief and 907 from CW and another thing you have to factor is they will bring you focus. Are you ready for that?

Ranked is ranked. It’s pretty bad. 

For me, I’d rather see team clash with small rewards.

splash_time #16 Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:25 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17524 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I've participated in this season, and even though my internet was awful (I've quit because it was disconnecting each 2-3 minutes), but also my luck was worse. How? I had losing streak like for 3 days, and i couldn't even progress one chevron, just because i was getting the second or the third position in a defeat. 

Honestly, I've quit playing it now, because I'm not forced to waste time and credits on something I don't enjoy. 

Dear OP, if you don't like the way it works, and i kinda agree because it encourages people to act selfishly in a "team" dependent game, make sure to share your Feedback because WG started to listen to feedbacks recently which i find odd. :D

Edited by splash_time, 19 July 2020 - 10:25 AM.

ArmouredPenguin #17 Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View PostErwin_Von_Braun, on 19 July 2020 - 09:02 AM, said:

"I think this is a terrible event"

"I'm going to continue to play it"

:facepalm:

Ridiculous.

09:05 Added after 2 minute

I never said anything like that.

Only that to say you hate something whilst continuing to participate is the absolute definition of hypocrisy.

You are just a lost cause so will not be replying to your lies and none sense anymore.

Erwin_Von_Braun #18 Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 46921 battles

View PostArmouredPenguin, on 19 July 2020 - 05:22 PM, said:

You are just a lost cause so will not be replying to your lies and none sense anymore.

They are your words my friend, not my lies.

ArmouredPenguin #19 Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View PostHyina, on 19 July 2020 - 12:27 AM, said:

You are not wrong since I am sure the best players will excel and a lot of that will be down to their knowledge and experience. However, my last game was a loss and the player that got top on our team and gained a chevron was a 60tp player who never left base. So he played well to get top but pretty much screwed the entire team in the process. Which brings me to my original issue. That game was not competitive and there was barely any sense of team. Just one guy getting rewarded for base camping all game. 

17:51 Added after 6 minute

View PostSchepel, on 19 July 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Ranked is about as toxic as it gets because you aren't rewarded for playing well, you are rewarded for _literally_  screwing over your own team. Great players will do better in this mode, but that doesn't mean the mode functions as it ought to. It simply means great players are also better at screwing over their own team.

@ OP: Do not play ranked. The only metric WG understands is the number of people playing a mode. It that number drops, they will review the mode. Usually that means removal of a mode, but at any rate, if we keep on playing it regardless how much of a pain a mode is, it counts as a success.

This is pretty much how I feel about ranked. They do seem to be reviewing it and listening which is why we see recent changes in regards to reward tanks not being able to participate. Still need the bonds so my bad for perpetuating a broken system. 

ArmouredPenguin #20 Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:07 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20575 battles
  • [D1CE] D1CE

View Post_LongRangeSniper_, on 19 July 2020 - 09:07 AM, said:

You may have more fun grinding personal missions and expanding your garage to do CW. Don’t forget you can take bonds in CW as rewards if you don’t cross the line for a tank. I have the Chief and 907 from CW and another thing you have to factor is they will bring you focus. Are you ready for that?

Ranked is ranked. It’s pretty bad. 

For me, I’d rather see team clash with small rewards.

279e is definitely out of reach for me and found many clans don't care about 260 much (still want it though). Otherwise, I have most tech tree tanks for CW and played most recent CW but our team was newly formed so our chances were slim. Not saying I cant get in top 8000 next time but want to try for auction anyway. In relation to focus, I already hate arty more then anything in this game and am not looking forward to them ruining my chieftain fun when i get one.

If they want something competitive then I do believe they need to change the format. But how to do that without it just being a variation of CW or tournaments?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users