6th sense on artillery commander?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

hjorte #1 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:22 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23210 battles
Arty noob question: Would you recommend with priority to run 6th sense on the artillery commanders?

NUKLEAR_SLUG #2 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37493 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
Yes, knowing you've been seen is the difference between maybe getting away or guaranteed dead. 

FizzleMcSnizzle #3 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 29040 battles
Nah, I'd just order extra bacon on my pizza, put my feet up and click.

FrantisekBascovansky #4 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 45507 battles
of course, 1st choice of skills

1ucky #5 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:33 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 93126 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL
Yes

hjorte #6 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23210 battles

I just thought ... large, slow box, there's no hope to escape.

LOL @Fizzle :D

1ucky #7 Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:46 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 93126 battles
  • [THRIL] THRIL

View Posthjorte, on 18 July 2020 - 11:35 PM, said:

I just thought ... large, slow box, there's no hope to escape.

LOL @Fizzle :D

It's situational. Sometimes nobody will attack you directly, but it's good to know if a scout spotted you anyway, cause otherwise you might fall prey to enemy arty. Plus, there's hardly anything better to pick.

Nebuched #8 Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14782 battles
1st skill on short range SPG's. On others I would personally take BIA first, especially on the few spg's where you can slap on vents. 

Edited by Nebuched, 19 July 2020 - 12:02 AM.

BattleMetalChris #9 Posted 19 July 2020 - 12:04 AM

General

• Player
  • 11269 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I'd go for BiA first. You're spotted and need to take action maybe 1 in every 5 games, 1 in 10 if you're lucky - most of the time if you're spotted you've been overrun and are dead anyway regardless of whether you knew about it. It's fairly rare you're lit up by a scout mid-game and would be able to deal with it by moving.

But you'll use that extra aim time and reload multiple times every game.

Edited by BattleMetalChris, 19 July 2020 - 12:07 AM.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #10 Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:11 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37493 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY
These days going BIA first is probably the better option if you're willing to drop the extra credits on either skill books or 6th sense directives until you can get 6th sense proper. 

undutchable80 #11 Posted 19 July 2020 - 07:42 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 15550 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostBattleMetalChris, on 19 July 2020 - 12:04 AM, said:

I'd go for BiA first. You're spotted and need to take action maybe 1 in every 5 games, 1 in 10 if you're lucky - most of the time if you're spotted you've been overrun and are dead anyway regardless of whether you knew about it. It's fairly rare you're lit up by a scout mid-game and would be able to deal with it by moving.

But you'll use that extra aim time and reload multiple times every game.

BiA First and then SS

hjorte #12 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:05 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23210 battles

Yes, I have BiA as the first one and just wondered what you guys pick for the next on the commander. I now changed Mentor to 6th. Also, I'm working on Camo.

Anyways, my personal arty skills are what needs improving - by a lot.

Randomar #13 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 32240 battles

View Posthjorte, on 18 July 2020 - 11:22 PM, said:

Arty noob question: Would you recommend with priority to run 6th sense on the artillery commanders?

Not that you derive a rule from it and in the future all commanders will get their sixth sense in the arty! :trollface:

PowJay #14 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:28 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43516 battles

View Posthjorte, on 19 July 2020 - 08:05 AM, said:

Yes, I have BiA as the first one and just wondered what you guys pick for the next on the commander. I now changed Mentor to 6th. Also, I'm working on Camo.

Take it from me, the only arty skill that matters is knowing when to move. Everything else is in the hands of your team and the RNG Gods.

I am no unicum, but it is supposed to be easy to use one hand the entire game (according to the critics) but you need a TEAM and everything else after that is down to total randomness as to whether you achieve anything.

I've got so sick of playing SPGs that the ONLY reason I am going to play them again EVER is for Campaign missions where you have NO choice (other than to use mission skipping items such as Orders)

And on the original question, Sixth Sense is useful as a NEGATIVE indicator. i.e. I have NOT been spotted and, therefore, do NOT need to run. You want SS, but I will definitely accept the argument for BiA first.

Good luck.

hjorte #15 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23210 battles

All good advice, thanks.

I've had a few games where me, in my arty, pressing "T" gave a good collaboration with my team. Example, team mate is sitting on one side of a little rock and the enemy on the other and he is proximity spotting the enemy. Letting him know (T) that I'm going to hit the enemy tank, he waited to poke again and benefitted from a stunned enemy and being able to one-shot kill him. He communicated as well. A good feeling. But I guess it's rare ;-)

DraconariusAT #16 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21533 battles

View Posthjorte, on 19 July 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

BiA and Camo (for Commander 6th Sense) are the essentials for Arty I guess.

Repair is not of much importance - once you are spotted or shooted there is not often the option to escape. 

For the gunner a third skill might be Snap Shot, the driver should use clutch braking as 3rd skill for faster hull traverse. The Radio operator of course Situational Awareness. But for the loader I am not sure, Adrenaline Rush is probably the best option. On the other hand how often are you still useful after your HP are reduced to below 10%? When there is ammo-rework maybe in the future Intuition might become more important instead?

But the best Arty Skill is observing the map. When one flank is falling a retreat might be a good option. Too many arties are just not relocating the whole battle and get farmed by the enemy team instead of assisting their team in the late battle. And when you can't hit anything a relocation might open other opportunities to harass the enemy of course. ;)  

View Posthjorte, on 19 July 2020 - 09:45 AM, said:

... Example, team mate is sitting on one side of a little rock and the enemy on the other and he is proximity spotting the enemy. Letting him know (T) that I'm going to hit the enemy tank, he waited to poke again and benefitted from a stunned enemy and being able to one-shot kill him. He communicated as well. A good feeling. But I guess it's rare ;-)

No-Teamwork happens to other classes as well. When playing a TD for example and we only need to defend our own base, I hate nothing more than fast tanks rushing around the rock and getting killed while no one in our team can help them ... 

Edited by DraconariusAT, 19 July 2020 - 09:52 AM.

PowJay #17 Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:55 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 43516 battles

View PostDraconariusAT, on 19 July 2020 - 08:46 AM, said

But the best Arty Skill is observing the map. When one flank is falling a retreat might be a good option. Too many arties are just not relocating the whole battle and get farmed by the enemy team instead of assisting their team in the late battle. And when you can't hit anything a relocation might open other opportunities to harass the enemy of course. ;)  

This is my number one skill. I am NOT joking or exaggerating when I say that most SPG battles are 

1. Position. 

2. Aim.

3. Aim some more.

4. Aim some more

5. Fire.

6. Miss

7. Notice flank is exposed (fallen or uncontested)

8. Run.

9. Die.

Three or four shots in some battles is not unusual, but I do try to run relocate. I might say that I should join the lemming train and push, but there are maps where this would leave me in a useless position to do anything and/or vulnerable to being spotted anyway. Nonetheless, it is not unknown for me to end up in the enemy base area shooting our base for reset.

And I entirely agree on Adrenaline Rush. SPGs are not a vehicle likely to get benefit from this. Repairs are useful because you can get splash from an enemy who is blind firing on your tracers. You might move and catch a bit of it damaging your track, for example. Definitely more useful than Adrenaline Rush IMHO.

NUKLEAR_SLUG #18 Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:10 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 37493 battles
  • [FISHY] FISHY

Arty don't really need much in the way of skills to be effective. Two is more than enough and any more is just a bonus.

Commander: BIA + SixthSense (Knowing your spotted gives you chance to run)

Gunner: BIA + Snapshot (Gives a little boost to accuracy during aimpoint traversal, better on arty with a wide gun arc.)

Driver: BIA + OffroadDriving (Useful to relocate, Clutch braking has little application for an arty.)

Radio BIA + Camo (Your blind anyway, viewrange skills aren't going to help at all.)

Loader BIA + Camo (Nothing else is worthwhile)

Don't bother with repairs, you'll never live long enough to make use of them and you can carry a repair kit for the rare occasions you actually survive a hit that damages something vital.

Camo is very much a secondary concern. You should be far enough away the vast majority of the time that it's not an issue and you'll either be in a bush or behind a camo net anyway. Or both.

splash_time #19 Posted 19 July 2020 - 10:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 17450 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Short answer: No.

Long answer: If you wanna grind Soviet or French artys? Sure, but the rest? Not really. As the rest are big slow hit boxes.

_Hakkapeliitta_ #20 Posted 19 July 2020 - 11:45 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 53507 battles
  • [EPLI] EPLI
BIA is most important skill for arty, 6th sense...WHY??  when 6th sense goes off, its way too late to try to do anything but die...., playing arty its important look minimap every 5 sec so you know what is happening around you, that is more usefull then 6th sense

Edited by _Hakkapeliitta_, 21 July 2020 - 05:53 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users