Jump to content


Mouse Help Needed


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TungstenHitman #1 Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:53 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 34155 battles
  • 6,931
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Hi guys,

 

So the mouse the came with this gaming pc, now 2 years old, has finally given up the ghost. Now, this was just some stock cheapy mouse anyway, not wireless and certainly low end, but it seems to have been fine tbh and if there was any failings I guess it didn't really stand out and I never noticed. I'm certainly not looking to spend much money on it, maybe €20(or less) and there's a lot on offer on ebay. That said, I'm sure there's one worth getting, great value, more than capable and also there's undoubtedly some that should avoided at all costs, just some fancy looking junk and so that's where I need you guys to come in!!

 

What should I be looking to get for just a simple, functional, nice, ergonomically sound mouse that will do the job and reliably so. I'm looking here, there's wireless, wired, adjustable DPI(what the hell is that and why would it even need to be adjustable??) some with lots of buttons, some with few.... help please?



jack_timber #2 Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:24 AM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 45966 battles
  • 3,988
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Up until a few weeks ago I always used Microsoft mices, I rather like them. They are ergonomic, have only 3 buttons and last for years, last one was at least 10 years old. 

Now on father's Day daughter got me a WoT branded Konix mouse. It's got lights, adjustable dpi and 2 extra buttons for your thumb to use!

TBH I hate the flaming thing but convention dictates that I have to keep using it just to keep the peace.....

I would much rather use my old MS mouse.



TungstenHitman #3 Posted 20 July 2020 - 11:06 AM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 34155 battles
  • 6,931
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

Agreed, I popped into Curry's PC World and take a look at this bloody thing

 

 

I can't use that and don't even want to try, how am I supposed to even press the 2 key(wink wink) but ya I just wouldn't be able to press those buttons separately being realistic about it.

 

So I bought this thing

 

 

But now that I'm on the Curry's website it's advertised as "Up to 3 months battery life" which is complete and utter shhhhhh. Up to 3 months? In other words when barely used and at it's best possible offering up to maybe 3 months and more realistically probably about just 1 month of good reliable use before the tired batteries syndrome starts to kick in so annoying I'll be going back to the shop again soon.

 

Ya, there's a lot to be said for just a simply no bs wired mouse that's just got a nice soft wire that's not even noticeable, just two buttons and a wheel...



jack_timber #4 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:57 PM

    Colonel

  • Player
  • 45966 battles
  • 3,988
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

Simple is best..... I would struggle with that Corsair 'keyboard' mouse;)

 



nemanja84bg #5 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 22702 battles
  • 108
  • [SOV73] SOV73
  • Member since:
    06-27-2011

View PostTungstenHitman, on 19 July 2020 - 08:53 PM, said:

Hi guys,

 

So the mouse the came with this gaming pc, now 2 years old, has finally given up the ghost. Now, this was just some stock cheapy mouse anyway, not wireless and certainly low end, but it seems to have been fine tbh and if there was any failings I guess it didn't really stand out and I never noticed. I'm certainly not looking to spend much money on it, maybe €20(or less) and there's a lot on offer on ebay. That said, I'm sure there's one worth getting, great value, more than capable and also there's undoubtedly some that should avoided at all costs, just some fancy looking junk and so that's where I need you guys to come in!!

 

What should I be looking to get for just a simple, functional, nice, ergonomically sound mouse that will do the job and reliably so. I'm looking here, there's wireless, wired, adjustable DPI(what the hell is that and why would it even need to be adjustable??) some with lots of buttons, some with few.... help please?


If you have big resolution monitor (more than 1920 x 1080p resolution) then it is a must to have higher dpi mouse, if you have standard 1080p any will do the job and more is better for precise setting you need , BUT , any nice looking mouse will have problems so buy decend known and certified brand , i have wired logitec g203 (now its rebranded into g102 or g103 but its the same thing) - very good mouse my thumbs for logitec G series so buy the cheapest or the one you like and you will be very satisfied. Those cheap noname good looking ones will have scrolling problems  or doubleclick etc. It all depends of your needs, there are gaming (have buttons on side) , multimedia (have some shortcut buttons)  and simple ones ,also wireless mouse are multimedia and gaming are wired also there are wireless gaming type but i dont think by air it could match wired one with performance so usually will be attached by cable . And DPI is how much distance pointer travells on a certain move, bigger means with less mouse movement pointer moves greater distance so for higher resolutions it is a must - 2 monitor setups also needs higher dpi mouse. Conclusion, certified brand (even if it doesnt shine) is better than a noname sprakling nice looking peace of hardware.



TungstenHitman #6 Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 34155 battles
  • 6,931
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE
  • Member since:
    08-28-2016

View Postnemanja84bg, on 20 July 2020 - 01:19 PM, said:


If you have big resolution monitor (more than 1920 x 1080p resolution) then it is a must to have higher dpi mouse, if you have standard 1080p any will do the job and more is better for precise setting you need , BUT , any nice looking mouse will have problems so buy decend known and certified brand , i have wired logitec g203 (now its rebranded into g102 or g103 but its the same thing) - very good mouse my thumbs for logitec G series so buy the cheapest or the one you like and you will be very satisfied. Those cheap noname good looking ones will have scrolling problems  or doubleclick etc. It all depends of your needs, there are gaming (have buttons on side) , multimedia (have some shortcut buttons)  and simple ones ,also wireless mouse are multimedia and gaming are wired also there are wireless gaming type but i dont think by air it could match wired one with performance so usually will be attached by cable . And DPI is how much distance pointer travells on a certain move, bigger means with less mouse movement pointer moves greater distance so for higher resolutions it is a must - 2 monitor setups also needs higher dpi mouse. Conclusion, certified brand (even if it doesnt shine) is better than a noname sprakling nice looking peace of hardware.

 

Great answer thanks for the helpful insight.

 

I ended up leaving with this mouse in after returning the wireless one... which is also a strong reason to not bother getting one online unless you know the mouse you are getting is just an exact replacement since I was conveniently able to just pop back into the store and swap around. You can't really do that very easily with an online purchase. 

 

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/mice-and-keyboards/mice/advent-a6bwrd19-optical-mouse-10186770-pdt.html

 

 

It's wired, has variable DPI(now that I know what that is!!) which I set to the fastest option, a somewhat leisurely 1600 by comparison to what other more expensive mice can achieve(mind blowing speeds on some!!) but as it happens my current monitor is a Samsung 24" LED and right on that threshold at 1920 X 1080 so that DPI feels good and a bit faster than the old mouse. I definitely wouldn't want a slower DPI but it's more than capable and I certainly wouldn't just accept it and "get on with it" if I genuinely felt it was too slow or in some way hampering my gaming experience. The ergonomics are good(for my manly hand!), it's a nice large chunky mouse that just fits and feels right... speaking of right it's design is for right hand use so if you're left handed forget about it 100%, just look for a lefty option or get one of those neutral shaped mice without any orientations etc.

 

Great value at €12.99. If you have a larger monitor though it wouldn't really be fast enough I would imagine but for a 24" monitor size or less, really nice. 

 

View Postjack_timber, on 20 July 2020 - 12:57 PM, said:

Simple is best..... I would struggle with that Corsair 'keyboard' mouse;)

 

 

Ya definitely not for me either and my fat thumbs mashing all the buttons at the same time lol. I saw Sir_Foch using some odd glove thingy that was a sort of mouse keyboard hybrid sort of a thing with the direction and number keys built into it but I think he got that on loan or donated from some contact of his and was just a prototype sort of thingy. Looked good though, in regards function and convenience but again it's one of those things I guess where because we all have different size hands and finger length and right and left handed ppl etc that something like that might need some design re-thinking but I don't know maybe it had adjustable things on it. Anyway yes, simple is often best!



nemanja84bg #7 Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:26 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 22702 battles
  • 108
  • [SOV73] SOV73
  • Member since:
    06-27-2011

View PostTungstenHitman, on 20 July 2020 - 04:10 PM, said:

 

Great answer thanks for the helpful insight.

 

I ended up leaving with this mouse in after returning the wireless one... which is also a strong reason to not bother getting one online unless you know the mouse you are getting is just an exact replacement since I was conveniently able to just pop back into the store and swap around. You can't really do that very easily with an online purchase. 

 

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/mice-and-keyboards/mice/advent-a6bwrd19-optical-mouse-10186770-pdt.html

 

 

It's wired, has variable DPI(now that I know what that is!!) which I set to the fastest option, a somewhat leisurely 1600 by comparison to what other more expensive mice can achieve(mind blowing speeds on some!!) but as it happens my current monitor is a Samsung 24" LED and right on that threshold at 1920 X 1080 so that DPI feels good and a bit faster than the old mouse. I definitely wouldn't want a slower DPI but it's more than capable and I certainly wouldn't just accept it and "get on with it" if I genuinely felt it was too slow or in some way hampering my gaming experience. The ergonomics are good(for my manly hand!), it's a nice large chunky mouse that just fits and feels right... speaking of right it's design is for right hand use so if you're left handed forget about it 100%, just look for a lefty option or get one of those neutral shaped mice without any orientations etc.

 

Great value at €12.99. If you have a larger monitor though it wouldn't really be fast enough I would imagine but for a 24" monitor size or less, really nice. 

 

 

Ya definitely not for me either and my fat thumbs mashing all the buttons at the same time lol. I saw Sir_Foch using some odd glove thingy that was a sort of mouse keyboard hybrid sort of a thing with the direction and number keys built into it but I think he got that on loan or donated from some contact of his and was just a prototype sort of thingy. Looked good though, in regards function and convenience but again it's one of those things I guess where because we all have different size hands and finger length and right and left handed ppl etc that something like that might need some design re-thinking but I don't know maybe it had adjustable things on it. Anyway yes, simple is often best!

 

I dont know that brand but most of them (known brands , logitec, razer etc.) have certain software which can reprogram the mouse if it has memory inside , those 3 or 4 speeds when you click on dpi button on some which can be changed (fine tuned and saved, so on other pcs will work as you programed it to without aditional software installed)  and on some cant usually uknown brands lacks that ability (or it depens), and another fine tune in windows there is sensitivity settings, so there are 2 ways for fine tuning in brand software (this one stays in mouse memory)  and in windows (this one is bonded to windows settings on machine you are using your mouse) uknown brands are limited to only windows settings (maybe there is some universal software which could reprogram also but i cant confirm on that cause i havent played with that ). And i forgot most important is the quality of laser in mouse which most use is some  avago sensor which most say that is good and logitec on g203 offered its own laser which is really good. Also some can work on glass surface others cant etc etc. You might notice difference at very tiny movements such as dot by dot and see difference , some are very precise others arent, mouse acceleration (which is turned on in windows settings)  also is different on different brands and unknown ones and there is the biggest difference - probably cause of that sensor and procesor inside mouse and its types. 






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users