Actually Impressive Gameplay in Ranked

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

_GrooziN_ #1 Posted 20 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4592 battles

I'm positively surprised with this round of ranked battles and some teams I had. 

I was able to observe some really impressive moves, of the ones you cannot see in random:

- not pushing the flank like idiots into camping unspotted TDs and meds

- falling back

- re-pushing after falling back

- pushing when needed with aggression, etc

For the 1st time in a while watching minimap and what people are doing is actually fun. 

I guess it's down to med meta in Ranked. After WG removed reward vehicles, suddenly you don't need to sit hulldown 50m from each other and sling HE on impenetrable turrets. Instead, you're perfectly fine to play Leo 1, which I usually see at least 2-3 a team. 

Sure, you get the occasional brain-dead team or early fail of 1 teammate leads to a crash of a flank and it's game over, but this time the only thing that really annoys me is the poor map rotation. Once you get Stallingrad and Erlenberg, you know you're screwed for the evening. 

gunslingerXXX #2 Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 15315 battles
  • [GUNSL] GUNSL

You get a like sir :medal:

Personally I only played the qualifiers so I don't know the real ranked, however the qualifier was quite OK. In 2-3 matches I was able to be part of a medium push in my BC25t and each time taking the initiative paid off and resulted in a win. 

shikaka9 #3 Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:58 AM

Major

• Player
  • 80232 battles
I liked this ranked too ... 20 Qualification battles done in bit more than 1 hour :) never been so fast ... 

Japualtah #4 Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35530 battles

Your mileage may vary.

Yesterday, I mostly saw 15-(1-2-3-4) and even managed to lose 12 times in a row, fortunately without losing more than a couple chevrons.

Now, if teams were 7x7, that would be meaningful - and if you lose you'd be pretty sure you are to blame - but now...

tajj7 #5 Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30435 battles

My experience is not like that, mainly its a load of meds that refuse to do anything and all congregate on one spot trying to snipe, with like 3-5 heavies at the brawl spot. So the team gives up map control and gets surrounded. 

Most games are not that close, they are roflstomps because usually a few on one team who go forward generally get little support and then get swarmed, and then the numbers snowball. 

From my experience there are a lot of people in ranked playing meds who have no clue how to play them and just play them like TDs. 

Team play, people actually doing their roles etc. is very very rare, rarer than randoms IMO, because everyone is so risk adverse. 

Cuck0osNest #6 Posted 20 July 2020 - 09:17 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13253 battles
  • [YGDRA] YGDRA
How cool when everyone obediently wait for a dumb precedent when someone with higher viewrange from premium account will trigger monetization process and stretch "action" up to 15 minutes isnt it. I wasted 3 milion credids by playing w/o premium account and got nothing but apathy for a victory from team which noone taught how teamplay works which drowns in unintuitive spot mechanics and craves for a stupid chevron only for themselves in a defeat or draw.

Edited by Cuck0osNest, 20 July 2020 - 09:20 AM.

_GrooziN_ #7 Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 4592 battles

View Posttajj7, on 20 July 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

My experience is not like that, mainly its a load of meds that refuse to do anything and all congregate on one spot trying to snipe, with like 3-5 heavies at the brawl spot. So the team gives up map control and gets surrounded. 

Most games are not that close, they are roflstomps because usually a few on one team who go forward generally get little support and then get swarmed, and then the numbers snowball. 

From my experience there are a lot of people in ranked playing meds who have no clue how to play them and just play them like TDs. 

Team play, people actually doing their roles etc. is very very rare, rarer than randoms IMO, because everyone is so risk adverse. 

It's down to luck, I guess. I too had teams & players like this, but I actually like the fact people are more cautious and don't just throw their tanks & die in 1st minute. 

dusan2916 #8 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:18 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20723 battles
  • [4FATE] 4FATE

Same here, I honestly love gameplay in ranked battles,

1. Matchmaking is just awesome - max 2 arta's and 1 EBR on each side. And with this, WG just confirmed there is an actual issue with all these EBRs and 3 Arta's  matchmakings. Personally, I dont have an issue with EBR as a vehicle, but its quite annoying to get MM like 3 Arta's + 4 Light's on each side...I wish MM can stay as it is in Ranked, even though it would take longer to get into a battle. Its totally worth it for the game to be more enjoyable. 

2. Once I got into first division, in the most of the battles the gameplay is just awesome, people dont yolo like donkeys, we push together, there is more communication, when we are losing one flank people just get back and defend and its simple because they care. Its not like these yolo donkeys in public who claim that they "play for fun" and dont care about anything. Sure some of the battles are as bad as public, and some of the players are as toxic as chlorinated hydrocarbons, but you cannot have it completely perfect.

3. Rewards are just sooo meaty, after CW (which was quite fun) and Ranked (rewards and the gameplay) I have literally zero interests playing solo public again, its just so bad

Cheers!

Edited by dusan2916, 20 July 2020 - 01:54 PM.

DeBanus #9 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:34 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30450 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

The level of skill and getting punished for mistakes are significantaly higher in ranked, however the way Chevrons are distributed is bad IMO.

They should come up with a way to earn Chevrons, like you earned ranks in Frontline.

In Frontline it really didn't matter if your team actually won or lose the game. It all came down to your personal earned rank.

A similair system would be more fair (as a suiciding team, may cost you Chevrons, which has nothing to do with personal skill) and would be way less frustrating to play.

NekoPuffer_PPP #10 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:36 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37330 battles
  • [VRTC] VRTC

When they removed reward vehicles, they should've removed arty too.

The French arty are particularly annoying, as they can easily penetrate my STB-1...

I had some great fights last night... it's better than randoms for sure.

GodTank2 #11 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:41 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 11620 battles
  • [RDDT] RDDT
I finished ranked yesterday in gold league and honestly i would say its more enjoyable playing at the start were all the good players are rather than playing later with all the bots. I also dont understand why Division 1 Players are able to match with and against division 3 or even qualification players , its not fun getting so high up to just play with bots who are in divisions 3 rank 1-3 and have no idea what they are supposed to do.

dusan2916 #12 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20723 battles
  • [4FATE] 4FATE

View PostDeBanus, on 20 July 2020 - 01:34 PM, said:

The level of skill and getting punished for mistakes are significantaly higher in ranked, however the way Chevrons are distributed is bad IMO.

They should come up with a way to earn Chevrons, like you earned ranks in Frontline.

In Frontline it really didn't matter if your team actually won or lose the game. It all came down to your personal earned rank.

A similair system would be more fair (as a suiciding team, may cost you Chevrons, which has nothing to do with personal skill) and would be way less frustrating to play.

Dont really agree over here, then all these below average  players would finish in bronze league just because they have time to grind it out and get all these rewards. You need to improve if you want to be competitive and to receive something "more". Sure it gets quite annoying when you have full yolo team that dies within first 3 mins, but you need to adapt. I would say that 80% of all loosing battles I finished top 5 on my team. And I am something between average-above average player. 

DeBanus #13 Posted 20 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30450 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

View Postdusan2916, on 20 July 2020 - 12:45 PM, said:

Dont really agree over here, then all these below average  players would finish in bronze league just because they have time to grind it out and get all these rewards. You need to improve if you want to be competitive and to receive something "more". Sure it gets quite annoying when you have full yolo team that dies within first 3 mins, but you need to adapt. I would say that 80% of all loosing battles I finished top 5 on my team. And I am something between average-above average player. 

I agree that with the current system the below average players are excluded from finishing Division 1 for example, it also effects good players in climing their rank.

After days of being stuck in D1, due to an overload of loss streaks by braindeath team mates (equals barely gaining any progress, since you have to WIN a game in order to gain Chevrons).

Thus, no matter the personal skill (relatively): If you get cursed with retar-d teams, achieving a 29% winrate over a time span of 3 days, you won't enjoy Ranked Battles at all, since the current Chevron system is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY to punishing.

So I finally finished D1 and ended up in Bronze League with a 68% chevron rate (as a 58%> 3k wn8 player).........

_6i6_ #14 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:06 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26722 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
In the few battles i had so far(all with the JpzE100) the battles were certainly better deployed than most randoms(but this might have been a "random" coincidence :P )

dusan2916 #15 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20723 battles
  • [4FATE] 4FATE

View PostDeBanus, on 20 July 2020 - 01:55 PM, said:

I agree that with the current system the below average players are excluded from finishing Division 1 for example, it also effects good players in climing their rank.

After days of being stuck in D1, due to an overload of loss streaks by braindeath team mates (equals barely gaining any progress, since you have to WIN a game in order to gain Chevrons).

Thus, no matter the personal skill (relatively): If you get cursed with retar-d teams, achieving a 29% winrate over a time span of 3 days, you won't enjoy Ranked Battles at all, since the current Chevron system is WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY to punishing.

So I finally finished D1 and ended up in Bronze League with a 68% chevron rate (as a 58%> 3k wn8 player).........

Yep I feel you, thats why I havent completed it yet. Whenever I feel like I am playing terribly or loosing way too many battles in a row, I just take a break for a day. I have time to play 5-6 hours a day, but I just take it easy and it works. I am currently in 2nd stage, D1, and I ll see how it goes. There are still 2 weeks to go. If I progress one stage a day? Yeah thats fine, I am not really tryharding...

Persekettu #16 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:19 PM

General

• Player
  • 25952 battles

View Posttajj7, on 20 July 2020 - 09:06 AM, said:

True, but it's pretty common a team also give up map control and still win because it actually have brains to setup good defence locations.

It's also true ranked game mode is often frustrating because if the team camps, you have pretty much no option but to camp with them.

At least ranked game mode isn't like MOBAs where you play 30 minutes of losing battle if someone on your team really sucks.

tajj7 #17 Posted 20 July 2020 - 02:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30435 battles

View Post_GrooziN_, on 20 July 2020 - 09:05 AM, said:

It's down to luck, I guess. I too had teams & players like this, but I actually like the fact people are more cautious and don't just throw their tanks & die in 1st minute. 

Well thats the problem, its too much luck and no one plays to win so they hamstring their team.

I had like a sub 40% win rate in Div3, the gameplay was horrible and it took ages to progress because you dont win, people are clueless and that means in ranked because they lose chevrons they camp and do nothing.

I have literally seen no good play, there wasn't any in the previous versions either, everyone is more selfish than they are in randoms, they fall over themselves to get to camping positions, no one takes a hit, no one goes first, often this means entire flanks get left open because everyone is too scared to go anywhere.

And you can't do anything alone, because no one will support you, or push with you or even risk themselves to get shots on your spots half the time. 

IMO ranked is far worse gameplay than randoms, people in randoms try to win, people in ranked try everything not to lose a chevron and cause the team to lose. 

13:39 Added after 9 minute

This is typical of ranked from my experience -

Posted Image

​Game after game like that, where people just hide in a corner and you can do sweet FA. Whole team went to one corner, about two heavies went forward got swarmed and that is it, game over, because those guys in the corner never attempt to do anything, they just want to hide and snipe. 

Edited by tajj7, 20 July 2020 - 02:40 PM.

no_skill_bob #18 Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:06 PM

Major

• Player
  • 0 battles

meh, same crap as randoms, but at least i didnt have to spend a lot of time today, to reach rank 8 @ 3rd divission, all it took was 10 battles with doubles, it would be great if it was possible to progress through all of that crap in such pace, but i know, that when as soon as i reach 2nd division, it will be total crap, same as usually.

Posted Image

deivio82 #19 Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 60388 battles
  • [STLT] STLT

View PostJapualtah, on 20 July 2020 - 08:03 AM, said:

Your mileage may vary.

Yesterday, I mostly saw 15-(1-2-3-4) and even managed to lose 12 times in a row, fortunately without losing more than a couple chevrons.

Now, if teams were 7x7, that would be meaningful - and if you lose you'd be pretty sure you are to blame - but now...

7x7 would be ideal for this mode.

kejmo #20 Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:23 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 40311 battles
  • [GO-HA] GO-HA

Im also gettin impressive games in ranked, i think my screen will get the imprinted red "Defeat" letters so i could see them also when my computer is off. 

Loving this mode <3 It rewards players for their skill and not for their "team" performance <3

Keep up the good work WG, youre doin things perfectly fine <3

And of course...cheers to Yuriy, Igor and Anton, for without them, the game wouldnt be so perfectly balanced as it is now. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users