How does Ranked XP work? How do you play paper tanks in ranked?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Marklin127070 #1 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:47 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22236 battles

Hi,

I've recently started playing my AMX 30 B in ranked and noticed that XP gain is weird for that tank.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand the AMX 30 B and the Leopard 1 as a roaming sniper, basically standing in the 2nd row, assisting your pushing tanks, fitting a 'fire support' role.

So how does the 'compliance with the vehicle role' XP gain work? Am I supposed to go out and spot actively in my AMX 30 B? Shall I brawl because that's what WG wants an AMX 30 B (or Leopard 1) to do?

I've come up with this topic because I had a ranked game, that I sadly had lost, but I still ended up as top in damage and somehow as 10th in XP. It seems illogical to me that I gained 0 role specific xp, and that my damage done is only good enough for 10th place in XP.

Should I just stop playing the AMX 30 B in ranked all together, because it's impossible to collect enough experience in ranked to compete properly? How is your experience with paper tanks (Leopard 1, AMX 30 B, maybe STB-1) in ranked?

Screenshot:

Screenshot

Edited by Marklin127070, 21 July 2020 - 09:53 PM.

Trostani #2 Posted 21 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 53723 battles
You need to make first spot of enemies, deal damage from own spot,detrack, make a lot of assist damage and frags. If you are dealing damage not from own spot your exp will be very low.

TheDrownedApe #3 Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 53763 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

Unfortunately WGs idea of role is nonsense. They seem to think creating [edited]text about a tanks role will make you play a variety of tanks as WG intended them to be played. The reality is that they have no clue what the right hand is doing and this will surprise you.......no it will....

Do damage, do kills and do assist is the only option. 

Edited by TheDrownedApe, 21 July 2020 - 10:28 PM.

tajj7 #4 Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30308 battles

Honestly I have no idea, it makes little sense, I topped a team with 1.9k damage and 1 kill, and 900 assistance.

A Progetto on our team topped the team with 2.1k damage, 3 kills, zero assistance, compared to people with 3.5k damage and 1-2 kills AND assistance AND blocking.

They said they got rid off the massive XP boost for kills and the heavies leaching damage for being in the firing line, but I am not sure they have. The XP awarded for peoples 'damage and assistance' seems to vary wildly.

XP for 'vehicle role' is always pretty minor. 

So basically if you play a Leo 1 as a sniper and others do your spotting, then you'll still get bad XP because its heavily weighted to damage and kills, so really chose something that gets lots of damage and kills, not something you feel you have to play the 'role' off. 

LethalWalou #5 Posted 22 July 2020 - 04:25 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 36192 battles

View PostTheDrownedApe, on 21 July 2020 - 09:28 PM, said:

Unfortunately WGs idea of role is nonsense. They seem to think creating [edited]text about a tanks role will make you play a variety of tanks as WG intended them to be played. The reality is that they have no clue what the right hand is doing and this will surprise you.......no it will....

Do damage, do kills and do assist is the only option. 

The role exp purpose is not to force people to play certain roles, the exp changes from randoms are there to reward different style of plays when they are needed. The role exp isn't some massive boost to your total exp but it's there to give for example paper tanks more exp for shooting from distance and making sure to not get spotted, and to some mediums and heavies exp for trading off HP.

In total, it still seems to be best to be an active fighter, spot for yourself and some for others and trade off HP or bounce while dealing damage, and that's frankly a no-brainer. In the old system, the paper tanks would've had it much much worse than now and they would have been forced to fight in close quarters to get that exp that is given in randoms.

Edited by LethalWalou, 22 July 2020 - 04:26 AM.

K3iZ3r13 #6 Posted 22 July 2020 - 05:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12380 battles
  • [8-RD] 8-RD
But the role name is stupid, leo "role" for WG is support fire but you get more xp for spot only wtf is wrong with them ? a support fire is some one you don't see and support you by shooting not spotting, it's the same witha others, role or bad designed

DeBanus #7 Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 30341 battles
  • [-NARF] -NARF

Leopard has the same problem. 

This tank is very unforgiving to play on corridor maps. and if you snipe from distance, the exp you get will be cut down the drain which will drop you on the exp ladder of that game.

Yet an other poorly designed feature in WoT, clearly thought of by people that don't play their own game.

(In case someone of WG is actually reading: Leopard 1 should have the role of Sharpshooter, as the Grille 15 has f.e.)

Edited by DeBanus, 22 July 2020 - 06:30 PM.

insanity4u #8 Posted 22 July 2020 - 06:35 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16909 battles
Too many medium tank players afk sniping anyway. Play a Heavy

Marklin127070 #9 Posted 22 July 2020 - 08:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22236 battles

View PostLethalWalou, on 22 July 2020 - 04:25 AM, said:

The role exp purpose is not to force people to play certain roles, the exp changes from randoms are there to reward different style of plays when they are needed. The role exp isn't some massive boost to your total exp but it's there to give for example paper tanks more exp for shooting from distance and making sure to not get spotted, and to some mediums and heavies exp for trading off HP.

In total, it still seems to be best to be an active fighter, spot for yourself and some for others and trade off HP or bounce while dealing damage, and that's frankly a no-brainer. In the old system, the paper tanks would've had it much much worse than now and they would have been forced to fight in close quarters to get that exp that is given in randoms.

I wouldn't disagree, but that I got no role specific xp at all is beyond me. I did some assistance and I did significant damage, 2.5k of that at high distance, with one of the highest DPM tanks in ranked.

It's true that paper tanks had it even harder in the old system, but come on, the old system can't be a serious benchmark.

At this point I don't even know what the point of role xp is. The current state is kind of unfair, because people get a boost for compliance with their role, while others, such as me have to compete with my own team for xp without getting any role xp, simply because I don't know how to gain role xp (in paper tanks).

Guess I'll play more 430U and IS-7. Such diversity, yay... as if ranked wasn't monotonous enough.

Corrupted_Pling #10 Posted 22 July 2020 - 09:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 58187 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK

Idk man this tank destroyer earliar struggled to pen my 261

Marklin127070 #11 Posted 22 July 2020 - 11:57 PM

Private

• Player
  • 22236 battles

View PostCorrupted_Pling, on 22 July 2020 - 09:11 PM, said:

Idk man this tank destroyer earliar struggled to pen my 261

lol

I would guess he shot your tracks.

TankkiPoju #12 Posted 23 July 2020 - 06:54 AM

General

• Player
  • 25935 battles

View Posttajj7, on 21 July 2020 - 10:48 PM, said:

They said they got rid off the massive XP boost for kills and the heavies leaching damage for being in the firing line, but I am not sure they have. The XP awarded for peoples 'damage and assistance' seems to vary wildly.

Nah, they haven't done anything except added the vague descriptions. I have had fairly easy time with Super Conqueror just by sitting in front lines and getting in cheeky shots with the super good gun handling in between.

Actually, now that Chieftains are gone, it feels like regular heavy tanks are top dogs again, in the sense that they are easiest to play in ranked.

DangerMouse #13 Posted 23 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 31938 battles
  • [FLOG] FLOG

View PostTankkiPoju, on 23 July 2020 - 05:54 AM, said:

Nah, they haven't done anything except added the vague descriptions. I have had fairly easy time with Super Conqueror just by sitting in front lines and getting in cheeky shots with the super good gun handling in between.

Actually, now that Chieftains are gone, it feels like regular heavy tanks are top dogs again, in the sense that they are easiest to play in ranked.

277 certainly seems popular and powerful now, med mobility with some armour and a heavy hitting gun.

Edited by DangerMouse, 23 July 2020 - 03:22 PM.

Dinger_Killer #14 Posted 24 July 2020 - 09:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 697 battles
  • [OZ77] OZ77

When you play your Leo1 in ranked, my advice would be to drop rammer, and go full view range with improved optics, binos, and improved vents.  Your view range will be in the 550 range, and you will be spotting most of your damage and getting assist damage for it as well.  Same with AMX 30B, and STB-1, and M48, and TVP, and Progretto.

View Range over all with those MT's.

StronkiTonki #15 Posted 24 July 2020 - 08:27 PM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 36364 battles
  • [T0AST] T0AST

Haven't had much success myself in paper tanks in ranked.

Seems like you're pretty much forced to take shells if you want to do anything.

If you attack anywhere, there's either:

-Heavy resistance that won't let you pass without trading shots

-Campers that won't let you come close without shooting you

Any isolated targets that are actually flankable safely will probably die before you even get the chance.

Any remaining damage you can do with a paper tank is camping I guess. But that only works if your own team isn't attacking agressively already.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users